NATION

PASSWORD

Should School Examinations Be Open Book?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gingeska
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gingeska » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:12 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Gingeska wrote:

Like I said, not really.
And those that do are optional and not graded.

Doing research isn't the same thing as homework.

You clearly have a different definition of homework than I have. Right now I am a TA for a basic engineering class that has assigned problems from the book (or made up by the teacher) to be done on the students own time and to be handed in to be graded. The homework is not optional in that not doing it will harm the students grade. Should enough assignments not be done they will fail the class. Depends what you mean by doing research.

I don't study engineering.
I'm in the liberal arts school, so maybe that's the difference.

But that sounds terrible.

By Research I mean doing.. Uh.. Research?
Researching for the class... Studying... Research to write something.

Aka not "do these repetitive problems for a grade"
Anyway Engineering school sounds... Just awful.

Gingeska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gingeska » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:15 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Gingeska wrote:

Like I said, not really.
And those that do are optional and not graded.

Doing research isn't the same thing as homework.

So you're taking a college course and you think that, based on that experience, you know about all college courses. I think your high school failed you, and I'm surprised your college hasn't noticed or doesn't care.

Highschool failed me? Definitely, huge waste of time.

College, well I give them money and do well grade wise. So I think they're pretty happy.

Rutthenia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutthenia » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:15 pm

Rutthenia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:S
In the real world if a doctor doesn't remember some fact about an illness or about a certain medicine he doesn't give his patient his best guess (''I'm not allowed to look at the answers because that's cheating, so I'll just tell you what I think is the case here...''). No. The doctor would look at his notes, the internet, specialized books etc to double-check facts and then communicate the answer to the patient. Not doing so is irresponsible.

Doctors aren't in School once they finish 8-year Med. School. And no normal doctor would just go on WebMD to diagnose a patient, that's why he studied medicine for the minimum 8 years.

It is a student's job to memorize what s/he has learned, so it will be in their brains for the rest of their life. If every test would be open-book, nobody would know shit without checking their 7th grade History/Math/Science book when at the store.

Thanks for ignoring me. Fuck NSG.
PRO: European Union, Russia, Putin, Pan-Slavism, Vince McMahon
ANTI: Ukraine, Poroshenko, Gay Marriage, BLM
Teenager, Male, Belarusian-American, Catholic. Backpacker, have been to about 20 countries. I like WWE.
Right-winger. I don't care about your beliefs unless you won't shut up about them.

"Do you know what the cure for the human condition is? Disease. Because that's the only way one could hope for a cure."

Brickistan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Brickistan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:16 pm

As I've gone through school, it was a mix of open and close book examinations.

Primary school was mostly open book whereas university was mostly closed book. Interestingly, the argument for that, at least as I was told it, was that closed book was easier for the students. If it's closed book, then you will be forgiven for not getting everything exactly right - memory, after all, is a fickle thing. Open book examinations, on the other hand, does not allow for such forgiveness as you could, and indeed should, have checked the book.

Personally, I'm not really fond of closed book examinations. Perhaps it's due to my work as a programmer. I simply cannot remember every command for every language that I have ever coded in. The APIs for modern languages are huge - way too big to memorize. So if you have to be tested, then it's better to test if you know where to find the needed information, rather than how much of it you have managed to cram into your head.

Also, I remember reading somewhere, though the source eludes me right now, that learning by memorizing doesn't really work. You tend to simply cram your mind with definitions and formulas, pass the examinations, and then forget most of it again as you now have to memorize the next curriculum. Certainly, I have passed examinations, simply by repeating what the book said without understanding any of it.

But honestly, I'd rather do away with examinations entirely. I've always found it somewhat unfair that a whole years hard work can be completely wasted within a few horrible moments, just because you had a mental blackout and forgot something. Much better, I would argue, to test a student over the whole year, basing a final grade on all the work done over the whole year.

South Pacific Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby South Pacific Republic » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:17 pm

We get to use our notes on tests

Gingeska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gingeska » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:17 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Ifreann wrote:So you're taking a college course and you think that, based on that experience, you know about all college courses. I think your high school failed you, and I'm surprised your college hasn't noticed or doesn't care.

I wonder how long they have been in college? At the higher levels, homework becomes much harder and more important since at the higher levels, normally the classes are smaller and the teacher is dealing directly with the students.

Yeah, a History degree doesn't require too much busywork.

Obviously we define homework differently.
Homework = busywork

Not research, not writing.

I'm talking repetitive bullshit.

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:17 pm

Gingeska wrote:
Grand Russian Federation wrote:
Lecture + fun.
Aka science classes.

AKA all classes.

false. Engrish classes suck.
it is my firm belief that I should never have to justify my beliefs.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Gingeska wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
You clearly have a different definition of homework than I have. Right now I am a TA for a basic engineering class that has assigned problems from the book (or made up by the teacher) to be done on the students own time and to be handed in to be graded. The homework is not optional in that not doing it will harm the students grade. Should enough assignments not be done they will fail the class. Depends what you mean by doing research.

It's a basic engineering class. If these students cannot apply this knowledge, not only will they never succeed as an engineer, they will also place other humans in danger. If you don't want your bridges and building collapsing under you, you would not be getting rid of one of the few ways students have to apply what they have learned in class. I have no idea what liberal arts you do, but for me I also have a degree in Chinese. Doing language homework meant you were learning how to read and write. In those classes the only way to learn is by repetition. You are trying to generalize your experience in whatever field you are in (what field is that?) to topics that cannot work without application and repetition.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Gingeska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gingeska » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:19 pm

BTW, I know everything about college.

Just to make someone's statement true.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Gingeska wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
I wonder how long they have been in college? At the higher levels, homework becomes much harder and more important since at the higher levels, normally the classes are smaller and the teacher is dealing directly with the students.

Homework = busywork

I consider homework to be doing any work assigned in class to be done on the student time. A research paper performed for class is still homework.
Just A Little though

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:21 pm

Gingeska wrote:BTW, I know everything about college.

Clearly, since you have obviously experienced low level STEM classes.
Just A Little though

Gingeska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gingeska » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:21 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Gingeska wrote:

It's a basic engineering class. If these students cannot apply this knowledge, not only will they never succeed as an engineer, they will also place other humans in danger. If you don't want your bridges and building collapsing under you, you would not be getting rid of one of the few ways students have to apply what they have learned in class. I have no idea what liberal arts you do, but for me I also have a degree in Chinese. Doing language homework meant you were learning how to read and write. In those classes the only way to learn is by repetition. You are trying to generalize your experience in whatever field you are in (what field is that?) to topics that cannot work without application and repetition.

Refer to my previous posts where I discuss the validity of homework in language and math.

However this is not graded, at least not where I go to school.
The rare occasions where it is, you could not do any of it and still get an A.

Connori Pilgrims
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Connori Pilgrims » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:22 pm

Gingeska wrote:
Which is why lecture is the best method.
It's interesting, doesn't breed apathy, and you actually learn.

I am also of the mind that lectures have a use, provided they are supplemented with exercises, problems and & demonstrations to properly engage the attendees. Lectures of the typical "professor just stands in class speaking and writing on the board/clicking the power point while students just listen/try to take notes" variety tend to kill whatever enthusiasm the attendees had for the class.
LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR YOU. HATE.

Overview of the United Provinces of Connorianople (MT)
FT - United Worlds of Connorianople/The Connori Pilgrims
MT-PMT - United Provinces of Connorianople
PT (19th-Mid-20th Century) - Republic of Connorianople/United States of America (1939 World of Tomorrow RP)
FanT - The Imperium Fremen

Gingeska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gingeska » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:23 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Gingeska wrote:

Homework = busywork

I consider homework to be doing any work assigned in class to be done on the student time. A research paper performed for class is still homework.

Well I think that's the source of this disagreement.

Gingeska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gingeska » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:23 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Gingeska wrote:BTW, I know everything about college.

And it's a fly ball... RIGHT OVER HIS HEAD!!!

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:24 pm

Gingeska wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Refer to my previous posts where I discuss the validity of homework in language and math.

Then your school is a shit school, at least as far as those classes go. If an engineer is able to get through a class without applying what they know (normally though multiple different problems) they are not someone I would trust to build anything. Math people do not necessarily face the same issues, but again they learn by doing basic problems, on which they build the rest of their career. What school do you go to that engineering students don't have to actually apply what they learn in class.
Just A Little though

New Californian Imperium
Attaché

Founded: Mar 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Californian Imperium » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:24 pm

No. Students should study for their own tests.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Gingeska wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

And it's a fly ball... RIGHT OVER HIS HEAD!!!

Oh I got the sarcasm, I decided to respond anyway.
Just A Little though

Koopaville
Envoy

Founded: Jul 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Koopaville » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Only for upper-level college classes, but not for primary or secondary education, unless it's extremely formula-heavy, like AP math or science classes. Then yes, formulas would be fair. Better have kids learn the ideas rather than just formulas and factoids. But beyond these examples, no. Stuff like algebra and history should be memorized.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Gingeska wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Probably because you have no experience in the STEM fields. If an engineering student wants to be able to do actual research, they must first learn the basics. If they want to understand the basics they must apply what is taught in class actual problems. If they do not try to apply what they learn, there is no way they will be able to learn the material.
Just A Little though

Gingeska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gingeska » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Gingeska wrote:

Then your school is a shit school, at least as far as those classes go. If an engineer is able to get through a class without applying what they know (normally though multiple different problems) they are not someone I would trust to build anything. Math people do not necessarily face the same issues, but again they learn by doing basic problems, on which they build the rest of their career. What school do you go to that engineering students don't have to actually apply what they learn in class.

As I've said (I believe in the previous post), this is all about a different definition of what homework is.

Because obviously you have to apply what you have learned.

Soooo.... Yeeeeahhhh...

Gingeska
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gingeska » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Gingeska wrote:

Probably because you have no experience in the STEM fields. If an engineering student wants to be able to do actual research, they must first learn the basics. If they want to understand the basics they must apply what is taught in class actual problems. If they do not try to apply what they learn, there is no way they will be able to learn the material.

So..... Yeahhhh.... Yeahhhhhhhh...

Read..... Yeah....

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:29 pm

Gingeska wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

As I've said (I believe in the previous post), this is all about a different definition of what homework is.

Because obviously you have to apply what you have learned.

Soooo.... Yeeeeahhhh...

I know very few people who use your definition of homework. Those math problems you got in high school, those where application of what is taught in class. Those book reports, those where applications of what was taught in class. Those science papers, also applications. The science problems you got, also applications.
Just A Little though

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:30 pm

Gingeska wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Why do you believe that when you take a worksheet home to do on your own time, and not class-time, it is not homework?
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

The Flood
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2011
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Flood » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:32 pm

Probably not, though schools need to majorly scale back the emphasis on math. All math classes after basic algebra should be electives, and should not be required by universities unless the classes one is seeking heavily involve math.
Agnostic
Asexual
Transgender, pronouns she / her

Pro-Life
Pro-LGBT
Pro-Left Wing
Pro-Socialism / Communism

Anti-Hate Speech
Anti-Fascist
Anti-Bigotry
Anti-Right Wing
Anti-Capitalism