NATION

PASSWORD

Self-ownership

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you own yourself, NSG?

Yes, and for the reasons you gave.
22%
Yes, but for reasons different to the ones you gave.
39%
No, because I belong to God.
20%
No (please give a reason below).
19%

Total votes : 299

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Camelza wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Your life motto, I take it?

Well, you're the one who ingored my posts.

And you're surprised by this?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Korouse
Minister

Founded: Mar 10, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korouse » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Geilinor wrote:I'll concede that point but that doesn't mean selling oneself into slavery must be legal.

Why would you concede something that doesn't make any sense?

It's a hypothetical - in theory, someone can do it.
"Everything is illusory except power,' the revolutionary people reply." - Vladimir Lenin

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:09 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Arkolon wrote:You ARE your person but you OWN yourself. That is what I'm trying to say here.

No, because that doesn't make sense. A person is not a relationship between people. That's nonsense.

A person is made existent with the body, as I said in the OP. As such, the body belongs to the person.

Arkolon wrote:I love how the liberal left will defend the legalisation of marijuana on the basis that it's "my body, my choice!" but as soon as we use this exact same logic anywhere else it immediately becomes reprehensible.

Firstly, this seems irrelevant.
Secondly, I'm not a liberal. Those people are generally all about the "self-ownership" nonsense.

So how do you justify the legalisation of marijuana in your ... views? What are you, by the way?
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:11 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Arkolon wrote:You ARE your person but you OWN yourself. That is what I'm trying to say here.

I love how the liberal left will defend the legalisation of marijuana on the basis that it's "my body, my choice!" but as soon as we use this exact same logic anywhere else it immediately becomes reprehensible.

There is utility in being stoned, man.

A net positive utility of 420, dude.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:12 pm

Camelza wrote:The monarchy was "ceremonial", as was the role of the ten archons, ie; Britain may be de-jure a monarchy but in reality is a crowned republic.
As such, Athens was de-jure a monarchy, but de-facto it was the attrocity I described in my other post.

It was, if anything, an oligarchy where the tyranny of majority ruled. Only under demarchy did some power shift from the oligarchs to the populace.

One fault I think can be attributed to Socrates was that he still decried the tyranny of the majority and preferred the "monarchy," when in fact under the monarchy he wouldn't have the liberty to speak for himself, or the multiple chances he had to amend or leave his situation.

Socrates(and by "Socrates" i presume you mean Plato's works: "Symposium" and "The Republic") advocated a meritocratic/technocratic authoritarian republic, not a monarchy. However, while "authoritarian" sounds bad in our age ,his works set the basis for representative democracies, the concept of human, civic and civil rights and basically what we refer to as "western societies".

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:13 pm

Camelza wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Your life motto, I take it?

Well, you're the one who ingored my posts.

I make one-to-three points in every post I make. If you give me a vague answer, I will not know what you mean. Not to mention that English is not my first language, and have only been able to speak it for about nine years soon. If there was a problem, point me to exactly where the problem was, and then tell me what your exact problem with it is.
Rosa Luxemburg

WestRedMaple
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:14 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:
Correct, it cannot.

Whether that would be acceptable is a matter of personal opinion. I would argue no. It doesn't benefit any rights, though. There is no right to the labor of or ownership of others.

Slavery exists because some people don't care as much about the rights of others as they care about satisfying their greed

So you aren't arguing on a utilitarian principle, beyond the subjectivity of morality.

Likewise, I'd argue that under no circumstance is slavery acceptable, except when it's voluntary, non coercive slavery. African slaves were treated better than Roman slaves, but it doesn't expunge the fact that their self ownership was violated.

I'm discussing rights. Utilitarian principles are largely irrelevant to that. Likewise, morality doesn't have that much to do with it. Some people think violating rights can be moral. I disagree. Those are both just opinions about it

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:14 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Conscentia wrote:The point is that a person is a legal entity.
My person owns my human, but does not own itself as that would be nonsense.

Given that the OP starts all philosophical, i'm guessing this debate is focussed on persons not complex protein amalgamates.

You ARE your person but you OWN yourself. That is what I'm trying to say here.

I love how the liberal left will defend the legalisation of marijuana on the basis that it's "my body, my choice!" but as soon as we use this exact same logic anywhere else it immediately becomes reprehensible.

Because your choice to sell yourself into slavery affects more than just you. Supporting the institution of slavery and contributing to its perpetuation has massive consequences for the body politic. It is a cancer on the polity that brings destruction, despotism and pain with it. Legitimating slavery and forced labor is the short path to banana republics and caudillos.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:15 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Camelza wrote:Well, you're the one who ingored my posts.

And you're surprised by this?

Not as much as I am with my will to continue "debating" in this thread.

WestRedMaple
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:16 pm

Camelza wrote:
It was, if anything, an oligarchy where the tyranny of majority ruled. Only under demarchy did some power shift from the oligarchs to the populace.

One fault I think can be attributed to Socrates was that he still decried the tyranny of the majority and preferred the "monarchy," when in fact under the monarchy he wouldn't have the liberty to speak for himself, or the multiple chances he had to amend or leave his situation.

Socrates(and by "Socrates" i presume you mean Plato's works: "Symposium" and "The Republic") advocated a meritocratic/technocratic authoritarian republic, not a monarchy. However, while "authoritarian" sounds bad in our age ,his works set the basis for representative democracies, the concept of human, civic and civil rights and basically what we refer to as "western societies".

Odd, isn't it, that authoritarianism is practically considered a dirty word, and yet is the most popular

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:

Because your choice to sell yourself into slavery affects more than just you. Supporting the institution of slavery and contributing to its perpetuation has massive consequences for the body politic. It is a cancer on the polity that brings destruction, despotism and pain with it. Legitimating slavery and forced labor is the short path to banana republics and caudillos.

Why would someone sell themselves into slavery?
Rosa Luxemburg

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Camelza wrote:Well, you're the one who ingored my posts.

I make one-to-three points in every post I make. If you give me a vague answer, I will not know what you mean. Not to mention that English is not my first language, and have only been able to speak it for about nine years soon. If there was a problem, point me to exactly where the problem was, and then tell me what your exact problem with it is.

That you completely ingored entire posts of mine that were responding to your posts.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:17 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:
Camelza wrote:Socrates(and by "Socrates" i presume you mean Plato's works: "Symposium" and "The Republic") advocated a meritocratic/technocratic authoritarian republic, not a monarchy. However, while "authoritarian" sounds bad in our age ,his works set the basis for representative democracies, the concept of human, civic and civil rights and basically what we refer to as "western societies".

Odd, isn't it, that authoritarianism is practically considered a dirty word, and yet is the most popular

Dictator wasn't a dirty word back in Roman times. Now it is.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:20 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:
Camelza wrote:Socrates(and by "Socrates" i presume you mean Plato's works: "Symposium" and "The Republic") advocated a meritocratic/technocratic authoritarian republic, not a monarchy. However, while "authoritarian" sounds bad in our age ,his works set the basis for representative democracies, the concept of human, civic and civil rights and basically what we refer to as "western societies".

No it is not; Plato's system was pretty much a stalinist state, a dystopia that would be considered despicable today, however humans took the good aspects of that dystopic state and developed an entirely new concept; liberal democracies.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:21 pm

Camelza wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:And you're surprised by this?

Not as much as I am with my will to continue "debating" in this thread.

This is how threads about libertarianism always end.

1) Libertarian makes stupid straw men about intricate and deeply thought out philosophies.
2) People rightfully tear down these straw men and attack the blatant contradictions in their ideology
3) Libertarian ignores these points, shouts something about "LIBERULLLLS!"
4) People point out that they haven't addressed their point
5) Libertarian repeats "taxation is slavery!" like a mantra
6) People again point out that they haven't addressed their point.

And 5 and 6 is recycled over and over.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:22 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Because your choice to sell yourself into slavery affects more than just you. Supporting the institution of slavery and contributing to its perpetuation has massive consequences for the body politic. It is a cancer on the polity that brings destruction, despotism and pain with it. Legitimating slavery and forced labor is the short path to banana republics and caudillos.

Because your libertarian state, without a welfare state, has left them no other choice to sustain their existence. Or because they signed an agreement believing that they would be able to live up to their repayment terms, and because of ill fortune have been forced to by the terms of their contract.

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
What utter tripe. I had doubts about selling off some old books last week. That didn't stop the sale from being voluntary.

Were you coerced into doing so? Did someone make you sign a contract that forced you to sell those books?

No. I simply did it, whilst having doubts about it. This idea that doubts stop something from being voluntary is utterly stupid.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Conscentia wrote:No, because that doesn't make sense. A person is not a relationship between people. That's nonsense.

A person is made existent with the body, as I said in the OP. As such, the body belongs to the person.

Persons are a legal entity. Humans are generally speaking recognised as persons under law. The flesh then becomes the personal property of the person, but's not the flesh owning itself. It's the person owning the flesh. There is a distinction between physical reality, and our social constructs.
Arkolon wrote:
Firstly, this seems irrelevant.
Secondly, I'm not a liberal. Those people are generally all about the "self-ownership" nonsense.

So how do you justify the legalisation of marijuana in your ... views? What are you, by the way?

I don't necessarily. Why would you assume I do?
I justify the use of it's active ingredients for the medical utility, which is already done to some extent.
My position of legalisation of recreational use is more complicated, and it also happens to be irrelevant.

What do you mean "what are you, by the way?"?
Last edited by Conscentia on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:24 pm

Camelza wrote:
Arkolon wrote:I make one-to-three points in every post I make. If you give me a vague answer, I will not know what you mean. Not to mention that English is not my first language, and have only been able to speak it for about nine years soon. If there was a problem, point me to exactly where the problem was, and then tell me what your exact problem with it is.

That you completely ingored entire posts of mine that were responding to your posts.

It's half past three in the morning and I'm trying to post on different threads at the same time. If you want me to answer you now, quote the post I missed out. To err is human, after all.
Rosa Luxemburg

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Liberated Territories » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:24 pm

Camelza wrote:

When I talk about Socrates, I mean the fictional (if we can agree on that) character, and that he preferred the "monarchy" of Athens to the "democracy."

http://books.google.com/books?id=a-h35n ... hy&f=false

What I am saying, is that Socrates as a character was written in the way to support the "republic" even when his actions seemed illogical or contradictory. This was possibly due to Plato's authoritarianism, which doesn't make sense if he painted Socrates as a libertarian character. The author was trying to push the idea that the republic of few was superior to the democracy of many, yet handwaved the liberties given to him under it.

And of course, like I said he placed too much value on the type of government that the actions (what was really relevant in the story), and that makes it contradictory.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Camelza wrote:Not as much as I am with my will to continue "debating" in this thread.

This is how threads about libertarianism always end.

1) Libertarian makes stupid straw men about intricate and deeply thought out philosophies.
2) People rightfully tear down these straw men and attack the blatant contradictions in their ideology
3) Libertarian ignores these points, shouts something about "LIBERULLLLS!"
4) People point out that they haven't addressed their point
5) Libertarian repeats "taxation is slavery!" like a mantra
6) People again point out that they haven't addressed their point.
And 5 and 6 is recycled over and over.

Sadly, I can spot similarities with religion threads.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Because your choice to sell yourself into slavery affects more than just you. Supporting the institution of slavery and contributing to its perpetuation has massive consequences for the body politic. It is a cancer on the polity that brings destruction, despotism and pain with it. Legitimating slavery and forced labor is the short path to banana republics and caudillos.

To pay of debts? To provide money for a starving family?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Liberated Territories » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:27 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:
So you aren't arguing on a utilitarian principle, beyond the subjectivity of morality.

Likewise, I'd argue that under no circumstance is slavery acceptable, except when it's voluntary, non coercive slavery. African slaves were treated better than Roman slaves, but it doesn't expunge the fact that their self ownership was violated.

I'm discussing rights. Utilitarian principles are largely irrelevant to that. Likewise, morality doesn't have that much to do with it. Some people think violating rights can be moral. I disagree. Those are both just opinions about it

I agree. That's what I was trying to prove in the first place by using rights.

Anyway, since we come to a conclusion, can you tell me if it is totally consistent to follow up on self ownership by ownership of property?
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Why would someone sell themselves into slavery?

To pay of debts? To provide money for a starving family?

If I grant you four trillion dollars, and you will then be under my possession, the four trillion dollars equally come under my possession. There is no way to win anything at all from selling yourself into slavery.
Rosa Luxemburg

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:29 pm

When I talk about Socrates, I mean the fictional (if we can agree on that) character, and that he preferred the "monarchy" of Athens to the "democracy."

http://books.google.com/books?id=a-h35n ... hy&f=false

What I am saying, is that Socrates as a character was written in the way to support the "republic" even when his actions seemed illogical or contradictory. This was possibly due to Plato's authoritarianism, which doesn't make sense if he painted Socrates as a libertarian character. The author was trying to push the idea that the republic of few was superior to the democracy of many, yet handwaved the liberties given to him under it.

And of course, like I said he placed too much value on the type of government that the actions (what was really relevant in the story), and that makes it contradictory.

Socrates of the Apology and the Crito isn't depicted as a libertarian character. In the Crito, he argues in favor of the prevailing Athenian communitarian ethic, saying it would be unjust of him to abscond because he disagreed with the boule's verdict (which he goaded them into. As depicted by Plato and Xenophon, it's less of a show trial against an unpopular man and more the suicide by cop of an old man who had some questionable ties to the now deposed Spartan imposed oligarchy.)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General