NATION

PASSWORD

Neo-Conservatism: Bomb this thread, we have Oil

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your stance on Neo-Conservatism?

As a NeoCon, I believe it's good.
12%
I'm not a NeoCon, but I agree with many of their points.
13%
I'm not a NeoCon, and they are right once in a blue moon.
18%
I'm not a NeoCon, and I believe they are wrong.
36%
Why does America even need a military? Costa Rica seems to be doing fine.
4%
It's a Zionist-Halliburton-Bush-Saudi-Enron-Blair conspiracy for oil.
16%

Total votes : 271

Kravanica
Senator

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:12 pm

Organized States wrote:
Kravanica wrote:Chemical weapons? I thought it was nuclear weapons?

Yup, his Chemical Weapons were a huge concern, and well, we knew he had them, he massacred the Kurds with them quite often. We just weren't able to find all of them (contrary to popular belief). He did have them, and I'm pretty sure we found more than a few, but one of the main theories is that Saddam's forces smuggled them into Syria (who was a bit more Saddam friendly than originally thought at the time).

Huh... So I guess we were right. We just sucked at locating them.
The Kravanican Realm (PMT)
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
My nation does not represent my RL views

American and Jewish
Conservatarian with various "right-wing" leanings

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Kravanica wrote:
Organized States wrote:Yup, his Chemical Weapons were a huge concern, and well, we knew he had them, he massacred the Kurds with them quite often. We just weren't able to find all of them (contrary to popular belief). He did have them, and I'm pretty sure we found more than a few, but one of the main theories is that Saddam's forces smuggled them into Syria (who was a bit more Saddam friendly than originally thought at the time).

Huh... So I guess we were right. We just sucked at locating them.

In a way, yes. He just didn't have any delivery systems that could reach the US, or Europe.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Kravanica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:17 pm

Organized States wrote:
Kravanica wrote:Huh... So I guess we were right. We just sucked at locating them.

In a way, yes. He just didn't have any delivery systems that could reach the US, or Europe.

From what I understand he did try to have Bush's dad assassinated, though.

American and Jewish

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Kravanica wrote:
Organized States wrote:In a way, yes. He just didn't have any delivery systems that could reach the US, or Europe.

From what I understand he did try to have Bush's dad assassinated, though.

Well, I didn't say Saddam was a nice guy. I mean he did sort of kill a lot of his own people... And almost everyone in the Middle East hated him...
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Kravanica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Organized States wrote:
Kravanica wrote:From what I understand he did try to have Bush's dad assassinated, though.

Well, I didn't say Saddam was a nice guy. I mean he did sort of kill a lot of his own people... And almost everyone in the Middle East hated him...

Because he was an imperialist dick who invaded other countries for shits and giggles.

American and Jewish

The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Organized States wrote:
The Orson Empire wrote:It's not that simple.

Our entire reason for going to war was because, allegedly, there were WMD's in Iraq. No WMD's were ever found. So essentially, we invaded Iraq arguably for shits and giggles, causing immense turmoil in Iraq which has led to the rise of ISIS.

He did, have WMDs. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_ch ... ns_program

From http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_and ... estruction :

Despite being unable to get a new resolution authorizing force and citing section 3 of the Joint Resolution passed by the U.S. Congress, President George W. Bush asserted peaceful measures could not disarm Iraq of the weapons he alleged it to have and launched a second Gulf War, despite multiple dissenting opinions and questions of integrity about the underlying intelligence. Later U.S.-led inspections agreed that Iraq had earlier abandoned its WMD programs, but asserted Iraq had an intention to pursue those programs if UN sanctions were ever lifted.

Yes. They did have chemical weapons at one point, decades ago. But they gave that endeavour up quite a while before we went in, yet we still invaded (and of course, found none).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NSG is your blog; don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:Way to go for SUPPRESSING my opinion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Kravanica wrote:
Organized States wrote:Well, I didn't say Saddam was a nice guy. I mean he did sort of kill a lot of his own people... And almost everyone in the Middle East hated him...

Because he was an imperialist dick who invaded other countries for shits and giggles.

He wouldn't have lasted in the Mid East for much longer anyways. His Iraq would have fallen in the Arab Spring had we not invaded.
Thank God for OS!- Deian

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:25 pm

Organized States wrote:
Kravanica wrote:Because he was an imperialist dick who invaded other countries for shits and giggles.

He wouldn't have lasted in the Mid East for much longer anyways. His Iraq would have fallen in the Arab Spring had we not invaded.

Which would have been a much better alternative.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:26 pm

The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate wrote:

From http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_and ... estruction :

Despite being unable to get a new resolution authorizing force and citing section 3 of the Joint Resolution passed by the U.S. Congress, President George W. Bush asserted peaceful measures could not disarm Iraq of the weapons he alleged it to have and launched a second Gulf War, despite multiple dissenting opinions and questions of integrity about the underlying intelligence. Later U.S.-led inspections agreed that Iraq had earlier abandoned its WMD programs, but asserted Iraq had an intention to pursue those programs if UN sanctions were ever lifted.

Yes. They did have chemical weapons at one point, decades ago. But they gave that endeavour up quite a while before we went in, yet we still invaded (and of course, found none).

I'll give you that, but he was using Chemical Weapons, and saying he had none, is incorrect.
Thank God for OS!- Deian

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Organized States wrote:He wouldn't have lasted in the Mid East for much longer anyways. His Iraq would have fallen in the Arab Spring had we not invaded.

Which would have been a much better alternative.

Until his stocks and facilities with the weapons in it are seized by Crazy-Ass Jihadis funded by Qataris with nothing better to do.
Thank God for OS!- Deian

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:32 pm

Murkwood wrote:Edit: I decided to change the title to something funnier.

After participating in a pretty long threadjack on the Neo-Conservatism, I decided to create a post about it. When people bring up Neo-Conservatism/Interventionism, everyone has their two cents. Some believe that's it's the moral stance to take, to protect those who can't protect themselves and strengthen our standing in the world. Others disagreeing, thinking of NeoCons as trigger happy cowboys. What do you, denizens of NSG, think of Neo-Conservtism?

As a staunch NeoCon myself, I fully support it. Some people, usually Libertarians, say that you can't be pro-market and a NeoCon. I disagree. It's possible to be pro-smaller government and a NeoCon. Just because you believe they. Defense budget shouldn't be cut doesn't make you anti-small government. Rather, it mean that you value a strong country .

The Neo-cons believe that the government that governs best is the government that governs least, and by these standards they've set up a fabulous government in Iraq. That's Colbert. I guess the Neo-libs are slightly better. Then again, I am a Centrist :P
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:35 pm

Shofercia wrote:

After participating in a pretty long threadjack on the Neo-Conservatism, I decided to create a post about it. When people bring up Neo-Conservatism/Interventionism, everyone has their two cents. Some believe that's it's the moral stance to take, to protect those who can't protect themselves and strengthen our standing in the world. Others disagreeing, thinking of NeoCons as trigger happy cowboys. What do you, denizens of NSG, think of Neo-Conservtism?

As a staunch NeoCon myself, I fully support it. Some people, usually Libertarians, say that you can't be pro-market and a NeoCon. I disagree. It's possible to be pro-smaller government and a NeoCon. Just because you believe they. Defense budget shouldn't be cut doesn't make you anti-small government. Rather, it mean that you value a strong country .

The Neo-cons believe that the government that governs best is the government that governs least, and by these standards they've set up a fabulous government in Iraq. That's Colbert. I guess the Neo-libs are slightly better. Then again, I am a Centrist :P

*high fives fellow Centrist

Hmm, I'd place some of the Neo-libs and the Neo-cons on about the same level, to be honest.
Thank God for OS!- Deian

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:39 pm

Organized States wrote:
The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate wrote:Which would have been a much better alternative.

Until his stocks and facilities with the weapons in it are seized by Crazy-Ass Jihadis funded by Qataris with nothing better to do.

If you're referring to ISIS, that's what happened when we DID invade, and as a direct result of the power vacuum created by the invasion. Not exactly sure how that helps your case for the war.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:02 pm

Organized States wrote:Until his stocks and facilities with the weapons in it are seized by Crazy-Ass Jihadis funded by Qataris with nothing better to do.

If you're referring to ISIS, that's what happened when we DID invade, and as a direct result of the power vacuum created by the invasion. Not exactly sure how that helps your case for the war.

I'm not supporting the war, I'm just stating that the power vacuum, would have existed even without the US Invasion following the Arab Spring (Syria and Tunisia ring a bell).
Thank God for OS!- Deian

The Gaelic Kingdoms of Britain
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Gaelic Kingdoms of Britain » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:06 pm

Murkwood wrote:That wasn't immoral. We toppled one of the worst dictators in modern history.

He wasn't exactly a great guy, but he did a hell of a lot better job at keeping the country stable than anyone after him. It's very hard to make the case that Iraq is now somehow better than it was before we invaded.

And everyone knows it was just about the oil and benefit as a country. Otherwise, we would have already invaded the basically resource-less North Korea...especially since they actually have weapons of mass destruction.

He also commited genocide against the Kurds.

A lot of bad may have happened since we intervened there, but at least now the Kurds have a chance to have a state of their own.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
--Thorin Oakenshield [J.R.R. Tolkien]
I am a true Scot
Alba gu bràth!

Kravanica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Shofercia wrote:

>Colbert

You lost me.

American and Jewish

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:39 am

Avenio wrote:I'm not an enormous fan. Their foreign policy in practice is grossly hypocritical - supporting the destruction of dictatorships they don't like while surreptitiously propping up the ones they do, as long as they keep labour costs low and resources ready to exploit. Not to mention neocons' tendencies towards formenting class warfare and using the state as a blunt instrument against people and ideologies they don't like.

Basically, this.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:41 am

Murkwood wrote:Sometimes, the ends justify the means. You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. It's truly sad, but we had to.

No you did not. You had no justification and no international legal mandate to intervene in Iraq. You had no right to blatantly overthrow their government and militarily occupy the place, thereby creating an occupation that was as incompetent as it was brutal.

And I suppose by your logic, all those Iraqi civilians who died under American gunfire and all those Iraqis who had to suffer the humiliation of armed American soldiers break into their house, cable-tie their relatives and wave their guns about, had everything coming to them just because they were Iraqis? Damn, even a Fascist such as myself shakes my head at the utter idiocy of it all.

Hell you guys did such a half-ass job that you practically left Iraq in a shambles when American troops pulled out. Some omelet that turned out to be.
Last edited by The Greater Aryan Race on Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:10 am

The New Sea Territory wrote:
Murkwood wrote:The US fought aginst Khmer Rouge. We bombed them. Read about Operation Freedom Deal and Operation Menu.

The CIA installed Pol Pot....

That's just a conspiracy theory.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:12 am

Organized States wrote:
Kravanica wrote:Because he was an imperialist dick who invaded other countries for shits and giggles.

Saddam had a much stronger grip on his subjects than any other MidEast dictator.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:14 am

Murkwood wrote:The US fought aginst Khmer Rouge. We bombed them. Read about Operation Freedom Deal and Operation Menu.

Yeah, we helped out North Vietnam's best bud at the height of the Cold War. Clearly.
Thank God for OS!- Deian

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:50 am

Organized States wrote:

Yeah, we helped out North Vietnam's best bud at the height of the Cold War. Clearly.

Just like we armed Hitler, right?

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:51 am

Organized States wrote:

United Vietnamese invaded Cambodia four years after Pol Pot seized power.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:51 am

Murkwood wrote:
Organized States wrote:Yeah, we helped out North Vietnam's best bud at the height of the Cold War. Clearly.

Just like we armed Hitler, right?

Exactly, or my personal favorite, the Rothschild NWO UN Socialist Armies.
Thank God for OS!- Deian

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:52 am

Kelinfort wrote:
Organized States wrote:Yeah, we helped out North Vietnam's best bud at the height of the Cold War. Clearly.

United Vietnamese invaded Cambodia four years after Pol Pot seized power.

Shit changes quickly, but the North Vietnamese were giving weapons to the Khmer Rogue for quite a while.
Thank God for OS!- Deian

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General