NATION

PASSWORD

Neo-Conservatism: Bomb this thread, we have Oil

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your stance on Neo-Conservatism?

As a NeoCon, I believe it's good.
12%
I'm not a NeoCon, but I agree with many of their points.
13%
I'm not a NeoCon, and they are right once in a blue moon.
18%
I'm not a NeoCon, and I believe they are wrong.
36%
Why does America even need a military? Costa Rica seems to be doing fine.
4%
It's a Zionist-Halliburton-Bush-Saudi-Enron-Blair conspiracy for oil.
16%

Total votes : 271

Kravanica
Senator

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:42 pm

The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate wrote:
Kravanica wrote:Uh... Yeah. The actual citizens of this country deserve more liberty from its government than foreigners do.

That's how basically every country is.

And countries have borders for a reason. We get to impose our laws inside of them, not outside.

Yeah. I know. That's... Kind of what we do.
The Kravanican Realm (PMT)
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
My nation does not represent my RL views

American and Jewish
Conservatarian with various "right-wing" leanings

Kravanica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:43 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:
Kravanica wrote:Uh... Yeah. The actual citizens of this country deserve more liberty from its government than foreigners do.

That's how basically every country is.

1. Nationalistic Nonsense doesn't trump inalienable rights, does it?

Kravanica wrote:How, exactly?

2. Military is part of the state. Bigger, Stronger Military=Bigger, Stronger State. Big State="Big Government". You cannot be for small government, which is really a libertarian claim anyway, and be for "strong defense" or whatever euphemism for the military-industrial complex Neocons use nowadays.

1. Who said anything about nationalism?

2. The state and the government are kind of two separate things, you know.

American and Jewish

The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:49 pm

Kravanica wrote:
And countries have borders for a reason. We get to impose our laws inside of them, not outside.

Yeah. I know. That's... Kind of what we do.

Do you think that Iraq is/was within US borders?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NSG is your blog; don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:Way to go for SUPPRESSING my opinion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08

Kravanica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:50 pm

Kravanica wrote:Yeah. I know. That's... Kind of what we do.

Do you think that Iraq is/was within US borders?

It was a war, dude. We gave their state back to them anyway.

American and Jewish

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:50 pm

Kravanica wrote:
1. Nationalistic Nonsense doesn't trump inalienable rights, does it?

2. Military is part of the state. Bigger, Stronger Military=Bigger, Stronger State. Big State="Big Government". You cannot be for small government, which is really a libertarian claim anyway, and be for "strong defense" or whatever euphemism for the military-industrial complex Neocons use nowadays.

1. Who said anything about nationalism?

1. You did, saying people from a country deserve more liberty from that government than foreigners. Textbook American Nationalism.

2. No, they aren't. The Federal Government is "The State", in real world terms. In America, I would say "The Federal Government".
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:51 pm

Kravanica wrote:
The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate wrote:Do you think that Iraq is/was within US borders?

So you just agreed that Iraq had it's own borders yet you are saying "it was war, dude" to defend violation of those borders? Logic must never have entered your train of thought.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."

Kravanica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:53 pm

Kravanica wrote:1. Who said anything about nationalism?

1. You did, saying people from a country deserve more liberty from that government than foreigners. Textbook American Nationalism.

2. No, they aren't. The Federal Government is "The State", in real world terms. In America, I would say "The Federal Government".

1. That's how countries work. Governments have a duty first and foremost to their own people. Nationalism doesn't come into it. Like, at all.

2. No, "The State" is the United States of America. The federal government governs "The State" at the federal level.
Last edited by Kravanica on Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

American and Jewish

Kravanica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Kravanica wrote:It was a war, dude. We gave their state back to them anyway.

So you just agreed that Iraq had it's own borders yet you are saying "it was war, dude" to defend violation of those borders? Logic must never have entered your train of thought.

Yes. Countries sometimes violate each other's borders during wars. I'm not entirely sure you understand how wars work.

American and Jewish

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:56 pm

Kravanica wrote:
The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate wrote:Do you think that Iraq is/was within US borders?

A costly, unnecessary, and immoral war. "It was a war, dude" isn't a very good justification, and we gave them back their state in a worse condition than before. Because of the war, it's deteriorated even more since then. All because we tried to impose our ideals on them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:57 pm

Kravanica wrote:

1. That's how countries work. Governments have a duty first and foremost to their own people. Nationalism doesn't come into it. Like, at all.

2. No, "The State" is the United States of America. The federal government governs the United States at the federal level.

1. No, no it isn't. Plenty of countries respect individual liberty of people both inside and out of their country. America is not one of them.

2. So the Federal Government IS the State, since it is the controlling body of the State.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:58 pm

Kravanica wrote:

Yes. Countries sometimes violate each other's borders during wars. I'm not entirely sure you understand how wars work.

You're going off the assumption that the war was justified, and contradicting yourself by saying you respect borders but rationalize breaking them.

Kravanica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:58 pm

A costly, unnecessary, and immoral war. "It was a war, dude" isn't a very good justification, and we gave them back their state in a worse condition than before. Because of the war, it's deteriorated even more since then. All because we tried to impose our ideals on them.

We weren't trying to impose anything on them. The war was a mistake. Everyone knows that. But we went in because we thought they had nuclear weapons, something very serious.

American and Jewish

Kravanica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:01 pm

Kravanica wrote:1. That's how countries work. Governments have a duty first and foremost to their own people. Nationalism doesn't come into it. Like, at all.

2. No, "The State" is the United States of America. The federal government governs the United States at the federal level.

1. No, no it isn't. Plenty of countries respect individual liberty of people both inside and out of their country. America is not one of them.

2. So the Federal Government IS the State, since it is the controlling body of the State.

1. Immigrants who are not yet citizens can be deported. Citizens can't. And, uh, pretty sure America is.

2. No, it isn't. They're two separate things. Accept that you're wrong so we can move on.

American and Jewish

Kravanica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:01 pm

Kravanica wrote:Yes. Countries sometimes violate each other's borders during wars. I'm not entirely sure you understand how wars work.

You're going off the assumption that the war was justified, and contradicting yourself by saying you respect borders but rationalize breaking them.

I never said the war was justified. Stop with the strawman.

American and Jewish

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:03 pm

Kravanica wrote:
The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate wrote:A costly, unnecessary, and immoral war. "It was a war, dude" isn't a very good justification, and we gave them back their state in a worse condition than before. Because of the war, it's deteriorated even more since then. All because we tried to impose our ideals on them.

We weren't trying to impose anything on them. The war was a mistake. Everyone knows that. But we went in because we thought they had nuclear weapons, something very serious.

Incorrect, We believed Saddam possessed Chemical and Biological Weapons, which are clear violations of UN treaties and guidelines.

I personally find it great when the world, or at least parts of it, help out people who can't defend themselves (particularly the Yazidis for example).
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Kravanica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:05 pm

Organized States wrote:
Kravanica wrote:We weren't trying to impose anything on them. The war was a mistake. Everyone knows that. But we went in because we thought they had nuclear weapons, something very serious.

Incorrect, We believed Saddam possessed Chemical and Biological Weapons, which are clear violations of UN treaties and guidelines.

I personally find it great when the world, or at least parts of it, help out people who can't defend themselves (particularly the Yazidis for example).

Chemical weapons? I thought it was nuclear weapons?

American and Jewish

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Kravanica wrote:

I never said the war was justified. Stop with the strawman.

"It's war, dude" assumes that this war was just and called for, and rationalizes human rights and border violations.

Kravanica wrote:

1. Immigrants who are not yet citizens can be deported. Citizens can't. And, uh, pretty sure America is.

2. No, it isn't. They're two separate things. Accept that you're wrong so we can move on.

1. Stating that something is or can be does not justify it's existence. And America is most definitely not. This is not really debatable. If you want to argue this point, tell me how America supports liberty outside of our borders when we propped up dictators throughout the Cold War.

2. So, the American government, which is democratically elected, must be an extension of the will of the state. Thus, it is under the realm of "state".

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Kravanica wrote:
Organized States wrote:Incorrect, We believed Saddam possessed Chemical and Biological Weapons, which are clear violations of UN treaties and guidelines.

Both those two and WMDs were all interchangeable terms used by neocons.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:07 pm

Kravanica wrote:
The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate wrote:A costly, unnecessary, and immoral war. "It was a war, dude" isn't a very good justification, and we gave them back their state in a worse condition than before. Because of the war, it's deteriorated even more since then. All because we tried to impose our ideals on them.

Well, some people, like the OP of this thread, think the war was just swell. I assumed you were one of those people.

Also, Pakistan has nuclear weapons. North Korea has nuclear weapons. Russia, China, India, the UK, France, and by most accounts, Israel, have nuclear weapons. The USA has nuclear weapons. Should all of these countries be invaded as well, since we are actually 100% certain that they do have nukes (possibly excepting Israel)?

Even if Iraq did have nuclear weapons, invading them over it was not the best course of action. I highly doubt they would ever use them against us or anything; MAD is a pretty well-established idea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Kravanica wrote:

It's not that simple.

Our entire reason for going to war was because, allegedly, there were WMD's in Iraq. No WMD's were ever found. So essentially, we invaded Iraq arguably for shits and giggles, causing immense turmoil in Iraq which has led to the rise of ISIS.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:10 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

It's not that simple.

Our entire reason for going to war was because, allegedly, there were WMD's in Iraq. No WMD's were ever found. So essentially, we invaded Iraq arguably for shits and giggles, causing immense turmoil in Iraq which has led to the rise of ISIS.

So, if you're an optimist, Iraq was a horrible failure.

If you're a realist, Iraq was invaded for nefarious reasons.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:11 pm

Kravanica wrote:
Organized States wrote:Incorrect, We believed Saddam possessed Chemical and Biological Weapons, which are clear violations of UN treaties and guidelines.

Yup, his Chemical Weapons were a huge concern, and well, we knew he had them, he massacred the Kurds with them quite often. We just weren't able to find all of them (contrary to popular belief). He did have them, and I'm pretty sure we found more than a few, but one of the main theories is that Saddam's forces smuggled them into Syria (who was a bit more Saddam friendly than originally thought at the time).
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Kravanica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:12 pm

Kravanica wrote:I never said the war was justified. Stop with the strawman.

1. "It's war, dude" assumes that this war was just and called for, and rationalizes human rights and border violations.

Kravanica wrote:1. Immigrants who are not yet citizens can be deported. Citizens can't. And, uh, pretty sure America is.

2. Stating that something is or can be does not justify it's existence. And America is most definitely not. This is not really debatable. If you want to argue this point, tell me how America supports liberty outside of our borders when we propped up dictators throughout the Cold War.

3. So, the American government, which is democratically elected, must be an extension of the will of the state. Thus, it is under the realm of "state".

1. Was it correct, no? Was it justifiable? That's a matter of debate. We believed they had weapons of mass destruction and they refused to allow us to send UN inspectors in.

2. That was a different time. We were trying to stop the spread of the Soviet Union, a tyrannical and evil nation that imposed it's will upon thousands of people and killed and slaughtered millions.

3. Dude... The government administrated the state. It isn't the actual state itself. Please, for the love of all that is Satanic, just admit that you're wrong.

American and Jewish

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:12 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:It's not that simple.

So, if you're an optimist, Iraq was a horrible failure.

If you're a realist, Iraq was invaded for nefarious reasons.

Iraq was a failure. The U.S. and its allies gained little, if anything, from the invasion, except dead bodies.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:12 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:

It's not that simple.

He did, have WMDs. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_ch ... ns_program
Thank God for OS!- Deian

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General