NATION

PASSWORD

Neo-Conservatism: Bomb this thread, we have Oil

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your stance on Neo-Conservatism?

As a NeoCon, I believe it's good.
12%
I'm not a NeoCon, but I agree with many of their points.
13%
I'm not a NeoCon, and they are right once in a blue moon.
18%
I'm not a NeoCon, and I believe they are wrong.
36%
Why does America even need a military? Costa Rica seems to be doing fine.
4%
It's a Zionist-Halliburton-Bush-Saudi-Enron-Blair conspiracy for oil.
16%

Total votes : 271

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:15 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Which so why self determination is way better than outside invasion.

But there was no self-determination under Saddam.

Or Mubarack.

Until 2010.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:18 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Murkwood wrote:But there was no self-determination under Saddam.

Or Mubarack.

Until 2010.

Saddam had a much harder lock on his people than Mubarak.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Or Mubarack.

Until 2010.

Saddam had a much harder lock on his people than Mubarak.

Like Assad.

You have to let the people rise up themselves. Then you can help them.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Saddam had a much harder lock on his people than Mubarak.

Like Assad.

The situation in Syria, what with it's extreme sectarian clashes and more open culture than Iraq, is much different.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:22 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Like Assad.

The situation in Syria, what with it's extreme sectarian clashes and more open culture than Iraq, is much different.

Obviously, we'll never know exactly what Iraq would look like under the Arab Spring, but my point still stands: People have to determine their own destiny and when the time comes, then, we can help them.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:23 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:
That doesn't make it better. You just traded one asshole for a bunch of them.

Exactly my point, thank you.

Always to help :p
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Murkwood wrote:The situation in Syria, what with it's extreme sectarian clashes and more open culture than Iraq, is much different.

Obviously, we'll never know exactly what Iraq would look like under the Arab Spring, but my point still stands: People have to determine their own destiny and when the time comes, then, we can help them.

But if people can't, we should help them gain the right.
Last edited by Murkwood on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Obviously, we'll never know exactly what Iraq would look like under the Arab Spring, but my point still stands: People have to determine their own destiny and when the time comes, then, we can help them.

But if people can't, we should help them gain the right.

Saddam would've died eventually. His leadership would've weakened severely, if not already inspiring popular rebellion. It is possible an Arab Spring uprising would've occurred even with Saddam in power.

But we cannot misjudge the situation as we did. It lead to far more causalities and a worse outcome than self determination.
Last edited by Kelinfort on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Murkwood wrote:But if people can't, we should help them gain the right.

It lead to far more causalities

Proof?

The Republic of Merrimont
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Merrimont » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:32 pm

Best title ever.
░░░░░░░░░▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄
░░░░░░░░▌▒█░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▒▌
░░░░░░░░▌▒▒█░░░░░░░░▄▀▒▒▒▐
░░░░░░░▐▄▀▒▒▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▒▐
░░░░░▄▄▀▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▒▄█▒▐
░░░▄▀▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀██▀▒▌
░░▐▒▒▒▄▄▒▒▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▄▒▒▌
░░▌░░▌█▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▒▐
░▐░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌██▀▒▒░░░▒▒▒▀▄▌
░▌░▒▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▌
▌▒▀▐▄█▄█▌▄░▀▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▐
▐▒▒▐▀▐▀▒░▄▄▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▒▒▌
▐▒▒▒▀▀▄▄▒▒▒▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▐
░▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒░▒▒▒▌
░▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▒▄▒▒▐
░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒░▒░▒▄▒▒▒▒▌
░░░░▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄▄▄▀▒▒▒▒▄▀
░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▄▀
░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀
The Serbian Empire wrote:You wot m8 with Iggy Azalea?

Czechanada wrote:Also, having strong fingers impresses the girls. ;)

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:34 pm

The Republic of Merrimont wrote:Best title ever.

I try.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:34 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:It lead to far more causalities

Proof?

Not a good outcome.

And of course, this was before ISIL.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:35 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Proof?

Not a good outcome.

Coalition forces were blamed for only 35 percent of the killings.

And ISIS has nothing to do with US involvement.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:38 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Not a good outcome.

Coalition forces were blamed for only 35 percent of the killings.

Would those deaths occurred without the sectarian nature of the Iraqi insurgency?

No.

ISIS has filled the power vacuum because of the coalition. It is possible had Saddam fallen in the Arab Spring, ISIS would still exist. But probably nowhere near as powerful.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:39 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Coalition forces were blamed for only 35 percent of the killings.

Would those deaths occurred without the sectarian nature of the Iraqi insurgency?

No.

ISIS has filled the power vacuum because of the coalition. It is possible had Saddam fallen in the Arab Spring, ISIS would still exist. But probably nowhere near as powerful.

If Saddam stayed in power, odds are we'd have an equally radical Shi'a group.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:41 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Would those deaths occurred without the sectarian nature of the Iraqi insurgency?

No.

If Saddam stayed in power, odds are we'd have an equally radical Shi'a group.

Anti-American? Probably not as much as currently. Saddam would combat the threat much as Assad has. We'd have no reason to intervene.

Again, the people decide their destiny.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:44 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Murkwood wrote:If Saddam stayed in power, odds are we'd have an equally radical Shi'a group.

Anti-American? Probably not as much as currently. Saddam would combat the threat much as Assad has. We'd have no reason to intervene.

You keep saying that, but that's meaningless when the people have no power.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Saddam had a much harder lock on his people than Mubarak.

Like Assad.

We can't help the people of Syria now, ISIS is gaining ground against moderate rebels.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Anti-American? Probably not as much as currently. Saddam would combat the threat much as Assad has. We'd have no reason to intervene.

You keep saying that, but that's meaningless when the people have no power.

It's impossible for a foreign power who does not recognise the historical divisions of the area to invade and give the people what they supposedly want. Saddam would've fallen eventually, the people would've determined their own destiny. Less or about the same die and no Americans die.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:57 pm

i don't like it.

America should not build empire; America should not meddle in the affairs of foreign countries.

Neoconservatism bad.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:11 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:i don't like it.

America should not build empire; America should not meddle in the affairs of foreign countries.

Neoconservatism bad.

So we should have stayed out of Korea.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:18 pm

Neoconservatism bad.

I think we should only intervene when we know our goals both for the short terms and long term. Intervening in other countries is sometimes necessary, but only if we can achieve the goals we set in a concrete manner and we can predict what happens in the end and how are we going to achieve with ending these interventions in the way we plan.

These last wars and interventions we have started we have not known how to end them, and this is why there's a crisis in the Middle East; because we never took the time to figure out what we wanted for the region, we never had a clear goal and picture for the region in mind; but we knew what we wanted to do: go to war.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:19 pm

I usually call myself a neoconservative because if I call myself an imperialist people will think I'm retarded. And because neoconservative goals are much more likely to be achieved than imperialist ones.

I do believe that if you have moral values, you will strive to uphold them and stop their violation. Otherwise you hardly really value it. I also believe that aggression for aggression's sake is a very bad idea, but that aggression is always a valid option.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:22 pm

Zottistan wrote:I usually call myself a neoconservative because if I call myself an imperialist people will think I'm retarded. And because neoconservative goals are much more likely to be achieved than imperialist ones.

I do believe that if you have moral values, you will strive to uphold them and stop their violation. Otherwise you hardly really value it. I also believe that aggression for aggression's sake is a very bad idea, but that aggression is always a valid option.

You can try to stop their violation; but at times you can't change a country's morality without killing everyone in the country itself. Which is why we need to be able to determine what's in our best interests as a country.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:25 pm

Murkwood wrote:

Neoconservatism bad.

So we should have stayed out of Korea.

i think so yeah...

cause Korea's not in North America

same for Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq etc
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General