NATION

PASSWORD

Neo-Conservatism: Bomb this thread, we have Oil

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your stance on Neo-Conservatism?

As a NeoCon, I believe it's good.
12%
I'm not a NeoCon, but I agree with many of their points.
13%
I'm not a NeoCon, and they are right once in a blue moon.
18%
I'm not a NeoCon, and I believe they are wrong.
36%
Why does America even need a military? Costa Rica seems to be doing fine.
4%
It's a Zionist-Halliburton-Bush-Saudi-Enron-Blair conspiracy for oil.
16%

Total votes : 271

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:55 am

The Greater Aryan Race wrote:
Murkwood wrote:As for Iraq, we did win when it came to the main objectives. Nation-building, however, didn't really work out.

What?

The objective of the Iraqi invasion was to find WMDs. Which you guys found none.

Then when that objective failed embarrassingly, the US then changed it's original rationale for invading Iraq from finding WMDs to nation-building. Needless to say, you guys failed spectacularly on that count too.

So nope, on all accounts, you guys did not "win" anything.

We found some chemical weapons, and we did overthrow Saddam.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Jocabia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:58 am

Murkwood wrote:
The Greater Aryan Race wrote:What?

The objective of the Iraqi invasion was to find WMDs. Which you guys found none.

Then when that objective failed embarrassingly, the US then changed it's original rationale for invading Iraq from finding WMDs to nation-building. Needless to say, you guys failed spectacularly on that count too.

We found some chemical weapons, and we did overthrow Saddam.

Another case where your strongest defense would be most people's criticism. One wonders why anyone need explain why neocon ideology is wrong, when you can show how unsuccessful they are by offering your defenses.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:59 am

Jocabia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:We found some chemical weapons, and we did overthrow Saddam.

Another case where your strongest defense would be most people's criticism. One wonders why anyone need explain why neocon ideology is wrong, when you can show how unsuccessful they are by offering your defenses.

How?
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:02 am

Murkwood wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:
We didn't really "win" the Cold War, the USSR simply collapsed into itself, but that can hardly be considered a "win". It's like winning a boxing match because your opponent had a car crash in the highway.

And Iraq was a failed mission even by the view of the top brass and George Bush's admission in his most recent book covering the war.

The goal of the Cold War was to bring about the collapse of Communism, which happened.

As for Iraq, we did win when it came to the main objectives. Nation-building, however, didn't really work out.

We backed right-wing dictatorships in Latin America and parts of Asia which were worse than the communists we were seeking to depose; mostly because Reagan and his generation saw any left-leaning nation as "communist" - that hasn't changed in the "War Hawk" generation. Our main goal was the collapse of Russian-style communism, but we tended to confuse any land reforms in other parts of the world and leaders ensuring rights and freedoms for their citizens as "communist" - the CIA covert operation in Guatemala in which they deposed Arbenz is indicative of the U.S.'s fuck ups in identifying what was actual Russian-style communism and what it wasn't.

As for Iraq we achieved our military objectives, but we failed at more than half of them.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:06 am

Murkwood wrote:As for Iraq, we did win when it came to the main objectives. Nation-building, however, didn't really work out.

What?

Well, our main military objective was actually to depose Saddam Hussein; the WMD justification was merely that, a justification we came up with to invade Iraq and depose Hussein.

Our involvement in Iraq was very messy. It is, in fact, our worst Foreign Relations deal besides Vietnam.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:13 am

Murkwood wrote:We found some chemical weapons

You found components that could have been used to make chemical weapons; gas, liquids and weapon shells but no real functioning WMD programme that the Bush Administration claimed Iraq was running. Not even close.

And the few chemical projectiles found date from pre-Gulf War and were in most cases buried or left unused by Iraqi soldiers who never used them again.

You found nothing akin to a nuclear or biological weapons programme, not even close to the imaginary WMD programme that neocons were bleating about in 2003. So yeah, you guys didn't really find anything significant.

Murkwood wrote:and we did overthrow Saddam.

And replaced him with a Shia Muslim regime that was no better. Great job with the nation-building.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:19 am

Murkwood wrote:and we did overthrow Saddam.

And replaced him with a Shia Muslim regime that was no better. Great job with the nation-building.

Maliki is no saint, I'll give you that. But he is leaps and bounds ahead of Saddam.

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:37 am

Murkwood wrote:Maliki is no saint, I'll give you that. But he is leaps and bounds ahead of Saddam.

By curtailing press freedom and intimidating journalists who report on government operations against militants?
Alienating sectarian minorities while promoting the interest of your own sectarian group?
Replacing Iraqi military and police commanders with your own party loyalists?

Sounds an awful lot like Saddam Hussein. I mean Nouri al-Maliki. Wait I mean Saddam Hussein. Dang they seem awfully similar.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Jocabia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:44 am

Murkwood wrote:
Jocabia wrote:Another case where your strongest defense would be most people's criticism. One wonders why anyone need explain why neocon ideology is wrong, when you can show how unsuccessful they are by offering your defenses.

How?

"We found some chemical weapons" as your best positive argument for a war you went to claiming there was threat of biological and nuclear weapons. You don't see how weak that is. It's like saying, yeah, we kicked in there door and shot everyone because we thought they had an illegal military arsenal, and they didn't, but we found an illegal slingshot.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:14 am

Murkwood wrote:Maliki is no saint, I'll give you that. But he is leaps and bounds ahead of Saddam.

By curtailing press freedom and intimidating journalists who report on government operations against militants?
Alienating sectarian minorities while promoting the interest of your own sectarian group?
Replacing Iraqi military and police commanders with your own party loyalists?

Sounds an awful lot like Saddam Hussein. I mean Nouri al-Maliki. Wait I mean Saddam Hussein. Dang they seem awfully similar.

Like how Maliki gasses Kurdish villages, right? Like how there is no freedom of speech at all, right? Oh, wait, no.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:18 am

I decided to change the title to something funnier.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:19 am

Murkwood wrote:I decided to change the title to something funnier.

You did? When are you going to do it?

:p
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:20 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:I decided to change the title to something funnier.

You did? When are you going to do it?

Fite me IRL, pleb.

Last edited by Murkwood on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:24 am

Murkwood wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:You did? When are you going to do it?

Fite me IRL, pleb.

I shall beat you using the principle of non-aggression. For I am the stoic rock.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Glorious Freedonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2006
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Glorious Freedonia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:35 am

Neoconservatives like myself oppose dictatorships and are willing to fight wars to liberate the oppressed. That is all we are and that is how we should be judged. If we successfully get rid of some dictators and give people of former dictatorship countries the opportunity to have a more democratic government with a greater recognition of human rights, we are successful. We cannot be blamed or praised for what the liberated people do with that opportunity.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:38 am

Glorious Freedonia wrote:Neoconservatives like myself oppose dictatorships and are willing to fight wars to liberate the oppressed. That is all we are and that is how we should be judged. If we successfully get rid of some dictators and give people of former dictatorship countries the opportunity to have a more democratic government with a greater recognition of human rights, we are successful. We cannot be blamed or praised for what the liberated people do with that opportunity.

The problem is not the intervention idea; the problem is that you get into wars without understanding the situation on the ground and the effects it will cause for a region.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:41 am

It gives people freedom, well except for all the ones who are dead.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:43 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:It gives people freedom, well except for all the ones who are dead.

There will always been casualties in war. The real question is: would the majority of people be better off?

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:46 am

Murkwood wrote:
Empire of Narnia wrote:It gives people freedom, well except for all the ones who are dead.

There will always been casualties in war. The real question is: would the majority of people be better off?

Considering the damage to infrastructure, the instability and the people that have to live without their family members, probably not. It is also pretty callous to write off all the people that would be killed just so the survivors will live a little better.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:47 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:There will always been casualties in war. The real question is: would the majority of people be better off?

Considering the damage to infrastructure, the instability and the people that have to live without their family members, probably not. It is also pretty callous to write off all the people that would be killed just so the survivors will live a little better.

If we followed your logic and didn't go into Korea, think how bad it would be.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:50 am

Murkwood wrote:
Empire of Narnia wrote:Considering the damage to infrastructure, the instability and the people that have to live without their family members, probably not. It is also pretty callous to write off all the people that would be killed just so the survivors will live a little better.

It would be better because Kim Il-Sung would have full control, which would mean a much better country. With the agricultural south and industrial north unified many food supply issues with modern North Korea would be avoided. The ultra-militarized state of the DPRK would also be avoided as they would have no need for such a large standing army. So really things would be a lot better without US intervention in Korea.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:51 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:If we followed your logic and didn't go into Korea, think how bad it would be.

It would be better because Kim Il-Sung would have full control, which would mean a much better country. With the agricultural south and industrial north unified many food supply issues with modern North Korea would be avoided. The ultra-militarized state of the DPRK would also be avoided as they would have no need for such a large standing army. So really things would be a lot better without US intervention in Korea.

Do human rights mean anything?

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:53 am

Murkwood wrote:
Empire of Narnia wrote:Considering the damage to infrastructure, the instability and the people that have to live without their family members, probably not. It is also pretty callous to write off all the people that would be killed just so the survivors will live a little better.

Except unlike say Iraq, Korea was already divided and seeking our help at the time. The true neocon war, Iraq, was a complete and utter failure in every sense of the word except for getting rid of Saddam, a one time ally of the nation who tossed him out for no legitimate reason, not even tyranny.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:53 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:
Murkwood wrote:If we followed your logic and didn't go into Korea, think how bad it would be.

:eyebrow:

Are you kidding me? The Korean situation is one of the few calls of the last century that we got right.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:54 am

Murkwood wrote:
Empire of Narnia wrote:It would be better because Kim Il-Sung would have full control, which would mean a much better country. With the agricultural south and industrial north unified many food supply issues with modern North Korea would be avoided. The ultra-militarized state of the DPRK would also be avoided as they would have no need for such a large standing army. So really things would be a lot better without US intervention in Korea.

Do human rights mean anything?

Yeah, why don't we invade Turkmenistan or Angola or Equitorial Guinea or Belarus? All of those nations have terrible human rights records.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General