NATION

PASSWORD

Morality

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:
Voluntarism is against the initiation of force, not force itself.

And it was initiated en masse, as I just demonstrated. The state took over the direction of economic activity for the duration of the war, and directed all available resources, including the conscription of people into the armed forces, to prosecute the war effort.

This could be justified as a form of collective self-defense. Since Nazism was obviously the aggressor here.

Either way, Nazism is currently dead, and I think we, as a society, can find a moral system (preferably a mix of Voluntaryism and Humanism) to maximize freedom in society and minimize the use of force.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:We didn't stop Nazism with voluntarism or other forms of libertarian pixie dust. We stopped it with violence and coercion, both at home and abroad. We forced people to fight, controlled wages and prices, and abolished non-military economic activity, and pushed all available economic resources that could be mustered to the war effort.

We did it because someone had to stop them. Force and violence are not pretty, and should not be used lightly, but never mistake that they are always necessary, whether against great evils or minor evils.

War is a definite evil. That does not prove your point.

Points for the Godwin, though.

If there ever was an ideal example of "missing the point," this would be it.

I mean, holy shit.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:30 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:We didn't stop Nazism with voluntarism or other forms of libertarian pixie dust. We stopped it with violence and coercion, both at home and abroad. We forced people to fight, controlled wages and prices, and abolished non-military economic activity, and pushed all available economic resources that could be mustered to the war effort.

We did it because someone had to stop them. Force and violence are not pretty, and should not be used lightly, but never mistake that they are always necessary, whether against great evils or minor evils.

War is a definite evil. That does not prove your point.

Rolling over and letting the Nazis win is a considerably greater evil.

If you're going to make absolute claims about morality, better be prepared to defend them in all cases.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:32 pm

This could be justified as a form of collective self-defense. Since Nazism was obviously the aggressor here.

It's almost like voluntaryism isn't actually a realistic way of doing things and that social contracts work.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:32 pm

I can't really explain my morality. I suppose I generally look to the French Revolution for my ideals. It's so polluted with existentialist philosophy, American culture, and the mass politics of the 20th century though, it's hard to tell some days.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:33 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:This could be justified as a form of collective self-defense. Since Nazism was obviously the aggressor here.

Either way, Nazism is currently dead, and I think we, as a society, can find a moral system (preferably a mix of Voluntaryism and Humanism) to maximize freedom in society and minimize the use of force.

This assumes freedom is inherently good and force is inherently bad.

I dispute both assertions.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:And it was initiated en masse, as I just demonstrated. The state took over the direction of economic activity for the duration of the war, and directed all available resources, including the conscription of people into the armed forces, to prosecute the war effort.

There are no voluntary societies, and there can never be one. All societies indoctrinate their members into the acceptance of their values. The minimization of the use of force generally precludes prohibiting the initiation of force, because without it you cannot have the rule of law and civil society.

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Arkolon wrote:War is a definite evil. That does not prove your point.

Rolling over and letting the Nazis win is a considerably greater evil.

If you're going to make absolute claims about morality, better be prepared to defend them in all cases.

War is a definite evil if we accept self-ownership, which we should therefore take to a different thread.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Rolling over and letting the Nazis win is a considerably greater evil.

War is a definite evil if we accept self-ownership, which we should therefore take to a different thread.

I will say only this. If you don't accept the initiation of force in the defense of your ideal polity, then your polity is a suicide pact.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Zeouria wrote:Quite a while back I had made a thread entitled "Moral Nihilism", which states morality is subjective.[...]

Sort of, but no.
Moral nihilism states that there is no moral truth.
The implication is that all moralities are equally valid, in that they all lack validity.
Last edited by Conscentia on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Arkolon wrote:War is a definite evil if we accept self-ownership, which we should therefore take to a different thread.

I will say only this. If you don't accept the initiation of force in the defense of your ideal polity, then your polity is a suicide pact.

I'm no neocon, if that's what you mean.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Rexero wrote:i. We want to stop suffering.
ii. Existential suffering is the sole universal suffering.
iii. Intersubjectivity can lessen existential suffering through empathy.
iv. Intersubjectivity requires the absence of conflict.
v. Agape eliminates conflict.
vi. Therefore, agape is good. Its absence is evil.
viii. Actions according with agape are good and actions discording with agape are evil.

Ah, love!

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:41 pm

Mavorpen wrote:

It's almost like voluntaryism isn't actually a realistic way of doing things and that social contracts work.

There is no realistic way of doing things besides killing one another. Any moral system is equally as arbitrary as any other. Some just can allow human society to evolve past the initiation of violence....one of which is voluntaryism.

There's nothing wrong with social contracts so long as they are actually voluntary.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:This could be justified as a form of collective self-defense. Since Nazism was obviously the aggressor here.

This assumes freedom is inherently good and force is inherently bad.

No, it doesn't. Separate moral "good/bad" from socially "beneficial/counterproductive for the human species". Force is counter-productive, and a maximization of freedom would allow for human society to function as peacefully as possible. It's not a question of moral or immoral, rather that the species as a whole will benefit amorally from a voluntary society.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:44 pm

There is no realistic way of doing things besides killing one another. Any moral system is equally as arbitrary as any other. Some just can allow human society to evolve past the initiation of violence....one of which is voluntaryism.

Yeah, no. An ideology built around "voluntaryism" does absolutely nothing to stop the initiation of violence. It only perpetuates it and ensures that nothing can stop it.
There's nothing wrong with social contracts so long as they are actually voluntary.

Then you don't understand social contracts.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:44 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:

There are no voluntary societies, and there can never be one. All societies indoctrinate their members into the acceptance of their values. The minimization of the use of force generally precludes prohibiting the initiation of force, because without it you cannot have the rule of law and civil society.

Wrong. You govern society based on self-defense or organized defense. Whenever force is initiated, combat it. There can be a voluntary society.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Mavorpen wrote:

Yeah, no. An ideology built around "voluntaryism" does absolutely nothing to stop the initiation of violence. It only perpetuates it and ensures that nothing can stop it.

Then you don't understand social contracts.

You clearly know nothing about voluntaryism and love ignorance.

No, I mean that if social contracts are agreed to, they are fine. Just stop forcing social contracts onto people who don't want them. Go with Arkolon's voluntary state.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:47 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:No, it doesn't. Separate moral "good/bad" from socially "beneficial/counterproductive for the human species".

I did that long ago.
Force is counter-productive, and a maximization of freedom would allow for human society to function as peacefully as possible. It's not a question of moral or immoral, rather that the species as a whole will benefit amorally from a voluntary society.

Why would I value an amoral outcome? Morals are just the application of values; your position requires that your nondescript 'benefit' for society: it requires that peace and efficiency are to be valued by the person in question. You assume that peaceful functioning is to be valued, that freedom and peace are connected, that force is counter-productive, and that counter-productive actions are undesirable.

Jumalariik
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jumalariik » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:47 pm

[spoiler=This:]Image[/spoiler]
Varemeist tõuseb kättemaks! Eesti on Hiiumaast Petserini!
Pray for a new spiritual crusade against the left!-Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium
For: A Christian West, Tradition, Pepe, Catholicism, St. Thomas Aquinas, the rosary, warm cider, ramen noodles, kbac, Latin, Gavin McInnes, Pro-Life, kebabs, stability, Opus Dei
Against: the left wing, the Englightenment, Black Lives Matter, Islam, homosexual/transgender agenda, cultural marxism

Boycott Coke, drink Fanta

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:48 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:There are no voluntary societies, and there can never be one. All societies indoctrinate their members into the acceptance of their values. The minimization of the use of force generally precludes prohibiting the initiation of force, because without it you cannot have the rule of law and civil society.

Wrong. You govern society based on self-defense or organized defense. Whenever force is initiated, combat it. There can be a voluntary society.

And again, you're completely missing his point. People, who may not have "voluntarily" agreed to support the country in their war against Nazis. They had their business heavily disrupted by a collective action invoked by the government. This is the OPPOSITE of a "voluntary society." This is a society that is characterized by a social contract, where we don't give a fuck (and rightfully so) if you don't want the massive infrastructure and production shift to fight a war. You live in this state and are protected by it. You contribute, even if you don't "voluntarily" do so.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:49 pm

Jumalariik wrote:[spoiler=This:](Image)[/spoiler]

I completely respect the decision of someone to use the bible as a moral guide, but those who are religious shouldn't just rely on the bible to make moral decisions. The Bible has some decent quotes and proverbs on morality, and some pretty bad ones. I think it's fine if one uses the bible to help shape their morality, but to use it as a objective source of morality is a bit narrow minded.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:49 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:You clearly know nothing about voluntaryism and love ignorance.

No, it's the opposite. I understand it entirely, and that's precisely why I recognize it's just plain shitty.
The New Sea Territory wrote:No, I mean that if social contracts are agreed to, they are fine. Just stop forcing social contracts onto people who don't want them. Go with Arkolon's voluntary state.

His "voluntary state" is the EXACT same as the current state, only he replaced the current government with private mercenaries. It does utterly nothing to combat the "initiation of force."

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:50 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:This assumes freedom is inherently good and force is inherently bad.

No, it doesn't. Separate moral "good/bad" from socially "beneficial/counterproductive for the human species". Force is counter-productive, and a maximization of freedom would allow for human society to function as peacefully as possible. It's not a question of moral or immoral, rather that the species as a whole will benefit amorally from a voluntary society.

I disagree with your assumption that force is counterproductive and not beneficial to the human species. Force may be like fire, in that it is a fierce servant and dangerous master, but it doesn't diminish their utility. Both have been the foundation of civilization, and the question we must ask is how force is used and to what ends, not how much of it is being used.

You've slipped back in normative terms anyway. Why should I care if anything is beneficial unless there's a normative claim being made.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:52 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:No, it doesn't. Separate moral "good/bad" from socially "beneficial/counterproductive for the human species".

I did that long ago.
Force is counter-productive, and a maximization of freedom would allow for human society to function as peacefully as possible. It's not a question of moral or immoral, rather that the species as a whole will benefit amorally from a voluntary society.

Why would I value an amoral outcome? Morals are just the application of values; your position requires that your nondescript 'benefit' for society: it requires that peace and efficiency are to be valued by the person in question. You assume that peaceful functioning is to be valued, that freedom and peace are connected, that force is counter-productive, and that counter-productive actions are undesirable.

Good :)

No, it's not valuing an amoral outcome. It is stating that, from a pure view of how society functions, the voluntary society would function in a way that initiated force, which tears society apart, would be the only prohibition. It has nothing to do with value, just from a pragmatic view, a voluntary society would function in a way that is the most beneficial to humanity.

If you are against the benefit of humanity, then good for you, because voluntaryism isn't forcing you to work with others.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General