NATION

PASSWORD

Should churches, etc have tax exempt status?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should religious organizations have tax exempt status?

Yes, leave them tax exempt
38%
Yes, and subsidize them!
3%
No, tax them like any other private entity
27%
No, but they should for charitable activities, like any other nonprofit organization
32%

Total votes : 146

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:09 am

No, and all other nonprofits I disagree with should also have their tax exemption redacted. [/sarcasm]
Last edited by Margno on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

California Prime
Envoy

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby California Prime » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:20 am

for all of their business dealings they should be taxed. (sales, income)
all church properties in which business activities take place should be taxed (property)
all charitable activities should be exempt.

Seleucas
Minister

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seleucas » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Let the churches keep their tax exemption. It doesn't harm me at all, and in general I like the way that churches spend their money (in addition, I can get a tax rebate from donating to them, were I so inclined.)
Like an unscrupulous boyfriend, Obama lies about pulling out after fucking you.
-Tokyoni

The State never intentionally confronts a man's sense, intellectual or moral, but only his body, his senses. It is not armed with superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength. I was not born to be forced.
- Henry David Thoreau

Oh please. Those people should grow up. The South will NOT rise again.

The Union will instead, fall.
-Distruzio

Dealing with a banking crisis was difficult enough, but at least there were public-sector balance sheets on to which the problems could be moved. Once you move into sovereign debt, there is no answer; there’s no backstop.
-Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England

Right: 10.00
Libertarian: 9.9
Non-interventionist: 10
Cultural Liberal: 6.83

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:36 pm

California Prime wrote:for all of their business dealings they should be taxed. (sales, income)
all church properties in which business activities take place should be taxed (property)
all charitable activities should be exempt.

They already are.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:56 pm

No, but make them earn it like most charities have to.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:20 pm

Everyone should be tax exempt. However, if we are talking within the realm of statism, no. It's special treatment for the religious over the nonreligious.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Seleucas wrote:Let the churches keep their tax exemption. It doesn't harm me at all, and in general I like the way that churches spend their money (in addition, I can get a tax rebate from donating to them, were I so inclined.)

State policy should not be decided on what one NSGer likes or feels unharmed by.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."

The Union of the West
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:26 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:Everyone should be tax exempt. However, if we are talking within the realm of statism, no. It's special treatment for the religious over the nonreligious.

Pretty much this.

I voted for the fourth option in the poll.
Last edited by The Union of the West on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Valkalan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Valkalan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:41 pm

This is a rare case where I do agree to a tax increase. Organized faith should pull its weight like all other commercial institutions.
वज्रमात अस्ता रिजथम

The Directorate of Valkalan is a federation of autonomous city-states which operate a joint military and share uniform commercial and civil law and a common foreign policy, and which is characterized by wealth, intrigue, and advanced technology.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Gingeska wrote:Everything should have tax exempt status with the exception of sales-tax.

No income tax, no property tax, no "special" taxes on certain goods.

Just a percentage of all sales.

So you don't like roads, military training and equipment, clean water, emergency services, social safety nets, or scientific and technological advancement?

Anyway, I'm fine with tax-exemption for religious organizations, provided that they don't make a profit. Certain groups *cough* Scientology *cough* are clearly businesses and exist to make a profit, so they should be taxed.
Last edited by Scomagia on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insert trite farewell here

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Gingeska wrote:Everything should have tax exempt status with the exception of sales-tax.

No income tax, no property tax, no "special" taxes on certain goods.

Just a percentage of all sales.

So you don't like roads, military training and equipment, clean water, emergency services, social safety nets, or scientific and technological advancement?

Anyway, I'm fine with tax-exemption for religious organizations, provided that they don't make a profit. Certain groups *cough* Scientology *cough* are clearly businesses and exist to make a profit, so they should be taxed.

In his/her defense, all of those things could be provided by the private sector.
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:15 pm

The Union of the West wrote:
Scomagia wrote:So you don't like roads, military training and equipment, clean water, emergency services, social safety nets, or scientific and technological advancement?

In his/her defense, all of those things could be provided by the private sector.

If the private sector's performance in those areas is anything like their performance in the prison system, I think I'll pass.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:17 pm

Scomagia wrote:
The Union of the West wrote:In his/her defense, all of those things could be provided by the private sector.

If the private sector's performance in those areas is anything like their performance in the prison system, I think I'll pass.

Prisons are under 1% of all private firms, and yet you choose that one? What about the other 99%?
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:20 pm

Scomagia wrote:
The Union of the West wrote:In his/her defense, all of those things could be provided by the private sector.

The private prison sector sucks because the state exists. When the state privatizes, it creates a corporatocracy. When the state dissolves, it creates a legitimate free market.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:21 pm

Are churches now trying to become men?
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:21 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:
Scomagia wrote:If the private sector's performance in those areas is anything like their performance in the prison system, I think I'll pass.

The private prison sector sucks because the state exists. When the state privatizes, it creates a corporatocracy. When the state dissolves, it creates a legitimate free market.

The private prison sector sucks because it tries to make a business out of something that shouldn't be a fucking business.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:23 pm

Scomagia wrote:

The private prison sector sucks because it tries to make a business out of something that shouldn't be a fucking business.

If it manages scarce resources, it can be a business, and it is supposed to be a business.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:25 pm

Scomagia wrote:

Exactly. If prisons have to be private, they should be not-for-profit. When your profits are correlated with how many people are imprisoned, that just fucks up the justice system. Therefore government-owned prisons are the most cost effective, and fair.
Last edited by Atlanticatia on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:
Scomagia wrote:The private prison sector sucks because it tries to make a business out of something that shouldn't be a fucking business.

Exactly. If prisons have to be private, they should be not-for-profit. When your profits are correlated with how many people are imprisoned, that just fucks up the justice system. Therefore government-owned prisons are the most cost effective, and fair.

The prison runs the security systems, does it not? It does not actually put people in prison; it just stops them from getting out.
Rosa Luxemburg

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:29 pm

Scomagia wrote:

Then why does the state run the prison system? That is a business, technically, as it is a monopoly on prisons. How could any prison not be business?

Atlanticatia wrote:
Scomagia wrote:The private prison sector sucks because it tries to make a business out of something that shouldn't be a fucking business.

As if the Justice System in America wasn't fucked up?

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dazchan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:31 pm

It's not so much that I think churches should not be tax exempt; I don't think churches should be a separate category for tax exemption.

If a church is non-profit, and fulfils the definition of a non-profit under the relevant tax legislation, then they can gain tax exemption through that. If they don't meet the criteria, then they can render unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

The Union of the West
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:31 pm

Then why does the state run the prison system? That is a business, technically, as it is a monopoly on prisons. How could any prison not be business?

This. The State could be considered a business. A very violent monopolistic business.
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:32 pm

The Union of the West wrote:

This. The State could be considered a business. A very violent monopolistic business.

The state is a conglomerate of various monopolies over an arbitrary political region all glued together by a monopoly on the initiation of violence. Monopolies are businesses.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:32 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Atlanticatia wrote:

The prison runs the security systems, does it not? It does not actually put people in prison; it just stops them from getting out.

No, for example, private prisons have contracts with the justice system - these contracts say that the private prisons must maintain maximum capacity. This means that incarceration rates need to remain high. Since prisons are seeking a profit based on incarcerating people, corruption and overincarceration is common. I invite you to read about the Cash for Kids Scandal.

Prisons need to be publicly owned or private nonprofits. Profit should not be involved in incarceration.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:33 pm

Dazchan wrote:It's not so much that I think churches should not be tax exempt; I don't think churches should be a separate category for tax exemption.

If a church is non-profit, and fulfils the definition of a non-profit under the relevant tax legislation, then they can gain tax exemption through that. If they don't meet the criteria, then they can render unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar.

Correct, and nothing belongs to Caesar besides 23 knives stabbed through his chest.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General