NATION

PASSWORD

Can Rand Paul beat Hillary?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:07 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Othelos wrote:It hurts my eyes, how racist some of his comments are.

Give me an example?

"welfare is destroying black families"

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:07 pm

Lalaki wrote:
Othelos wrote:Divorce has nothing to do with welfare.

The marriage rate has decreased & the divorce rate has increased because of the sexual revolution, and a decline in overall religiosity of the American population.

As socially liberal as I am, I feel like this "sexual revolution" has long term consequences for the United States. More children are born outside of wedlock, more people are having less protected relationships, etc. I feel like this contributes to poverty in some way.

A nuclear family isn't necessary to be a good family. It is true that many single parent households are poor, but this is more because the other parent doesn't support the child, and we don't have an adequate support network for changing family situations. I do see what you're saying there.

However, @Freiheit Reich:
Blacks proportionally enjoy using welfare more than whites

People are enjoying using welfare? Nobody enjoys using welfare. People want good jobs, not welfare. Comments like this are racist, and ignore the complex socioeconomic history of race relations in the United States.
Last edited by Atlanticatia on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:08 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Othelos wrote:ok then where are the sources

He is a GMU professor:

http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/

>the author is named Jason Riley
>you link me to someone named Walter Williams

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:08 pm

Lalaki wrote:
Othelos wrote:If the parents don't stay together, then yes, the children are more likely to be in poverty (there's less income for the family overall).

Technically, doesn't matter if they are married or cohabitating, but relationships where the couple is cohabitating and not married are more likely to fail

I believe that people should wait until they are in a committed relationship, and are financially stable before doing things that could cause a pregnancy. But there are dreams that cannot be.

I agree with you.

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:09 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:The NBA is highly competitive and yet most basketball players are black. This is a very high paying job and thousands from all races compete for these jobs. This is proof that racism against blacks is not as common as you think.

No it fucking isn't. NBA players don't represent even 5 fucking percent of the entire job market.
Freiheit Reich wrote:The key is to work hard to be the best person for the job and you will get hired, regardless of race.

Which is why when black people have an identical resume to a white person, they are significantly less likely to get a callback.

Race is not listed on a resume, names are. A white person named Lakeesha will be less likely to get a call back as well. Why? Because people see the weird names as children of radical parents. A child named Rainbow or Apple will be taken less seriously in the job market as well. People know the apple often doesn't fall far from the tree. Who wants a radical in their workplace. Names also can increase your chances of being a criminal. People stereotype names but the stereotypes might actually be valid:

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/feb/07 ... n/oe-daum7

the new study purports to show a link between name and outcome: The more unpopular your name, the more likely you are to land in juvenile hall.

The Shippensburg researchers first assigned a popularity score to boys' names, based on how often they showed up in birth records in an undisclosed state from 1987 to 1991. Michael, the No. 1 boy's name, had a Popular Name Index score of 100; names such as Malcolm and Preston had index scores of 1.

The researchers then assessed names of young men born during that time who landed in the juvenile justice system. They found that only half had a rating higher than 11. By comparison, in the general population, half of the names scored higher than 20. The take-away? "A 10% increase in the popularity of a name is associated with a 3.7% decrease in the number of juvenile delinquents who have that name."
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:09 pm

Othelos wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:
He is a GMU professor:

>the author is named Jason Riley

The author's name is Jason Riley, but he's quoting some guy named Walter Williams, who provides the bulk of the claims.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:Race is not listed on a resume, names are.

Well, thanks for essentially proving you've never had a job in your life.
Freiheit Reich wrote:A white person named Lakeesha will be less likely to get a call back as well. Why?

Because of racism, of course.
Freiheit Reich wrote: Because people see the weird names as children of radical parents. A child named Rainbow or Apple will be taken less seriously in the job market as well. People know the apple often doesn't fall far from the tree. Who wants a radical in their workplace. Names also can increase your chances of being a criminal. People stereotype names but the stereotypes might actually be valid:

Which is irrelevant, because even when you control for these things, the disparity STILL exists. Also, nice to see you continuing this crusade of posting racist shit.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:12 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:
Lalaki wrote:
As socially liberal as I am, I feel like this "sexual revolution" has long term consequences for the United States. More children are born outside of wedlock, more people are having less protected relationships, etc. I feel like this contributes to poverty in some way.

A nuclear family isn't necessary to be a good family. It is true that many single parent households are poor, but this is more because the other parent doesn't support the child, and we don't have an adequate support network for changing family situations. I do see what you're saying there.

Like I said, I believe that people should wait until they are in a committed relationship, and are financially stable before doing things that could cause a pregnancy. But there are dreams that cannot be.
Born again free market capitalist.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:13 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:Race is not listed on a resume, names are. A white person named Lakeesha will be less likely to get a call back as well. Why?

Because of racism, of course.
Freiheit Reich wrote: Because people see the weird names as children of radical parents. A child named Rainbow or Apple will be taken less seriously in the job market as well. People know the apple often doesn't fall far from the tree. Who wants a radical in their workplace. Names also can increase your chances of being a criminal. People stereotype names but the stereotypes might actually be valid:

Which is irrelevant, because even when you control for these things, the disparity STILL exists.

Also, the difference is that names like "Rainbow" or "Apple" are very, very rare in the white population, while "non-white sounding names" are, obviously, more prevalent in non-white communities. The difference is that when someone doesn't get a callback because of their name sounding "black", it's because of racism and discrimination.

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:21 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Othelos wrote:>the author is named Jason Riley

The author's name is Jason Riley, but he's quoting some guy named Walter Williams, who provides the bulk of the claims.

Ok.

I skimmed the article, and the focus is on government economic policies, not welfare specifically (which is barely mentioned).

It's pretty clear that Freiheit didn't read the article.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:23 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Because of racism, of course.

Which is irrelevant, because even when you control for these things, the disparity STILL exists.

Also, the difference is that names like "Rainbow" or "Apple" are very, very rare in the white population, while "non-white sounding names" are, obviously, more prevalent in non-white communities. The difference is that when someone doesn't get a callback because of their name sounding "black", it's because of racism and discrimination.

"Well, white people can have black sounding names too!" is the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

I mean, for example, suppose a business had "have you ever had homosexual intercourse?" on a job application and then we found out that people who said yes were significantly less likely to receive a callback. Sure, you can argue "This isn't discrimination against homosexuals! Heterosexuals can have homosexual intercourse as well!" It's so incredibly asinine and silly that I cannot believe anyone would argue that with a straight face.

Yet, we have someone essentially arguing this in the case of race.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:

If a black man is named Henry Mitchell vs. Jamal Mitchell he will be more likely to be called back. Why? People will assume the man named Henry has more normal parents.

I admit, I stereotype weird names as well. If you see a man named Adolph Hitler Smith what would you think? Would you be as likely to call him in for an interview? Many people would judge him by his name without even meeting him. It works against all races. Give your children a proper name (and avoid naming him after infamous people as well).

There are blacks with mainstream names as well. It is not required to give blacks a strange name when they are born.
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Lalaki
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:25 pm

I think we should get back on topic...

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:

Not to mention that FR's claim that ethnic names are "weird" and "radical" and that if you have one you're more likely to end up being a criminal. That's some KKK level racism there.
Last edited by Death Metal on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Atlanticatia wrote:

If a black man is named Henry Mitchell vs. Jamal Mitchell he will be more likely to be called back. Why? People will assume the man named Henry has more normal parents.

And that's fucking racist.
Freiheit Reich wrote:I admit, I stereotype weird names as well. If you see a man named Adolph Hitler Smith what would you think? Would you be as likely to call him in for an interview?

Yes. Because I'm not a fucking child that superficially judges people in a manner that you'd find on a children's playground.
Freiheit Reich wrote:Many people would judge him by his name without even meeting him. It works against all races. Give your children a proper name (and avoid naming him after infamous people as well).

Yeah, keep on posting racist shit like saying names that are used more by blacks aren't proper.
Freiheit Reich wrote:There are blacks with mainstream names as well. It is not required to give blacks a strange name when they are born.

And when a woman gets raped while wearing shorts, she deserved it for turning the man on, right?
Last edited by Mavorpen on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Atlanticatia wrote:

I admit, I stereotype weird names as well. If you see a man named Adolph Hitler Smith what would you think? Would you be as likely to call him in for an interview? Many people would judge him by his name without even meeting him. It works against all races. Give your children a proper name (and avoid naming him after infamous people as well).

There are blacks with mainstream names as well. It is not required to give blacks a strange name when they are born.

That's racist. There's literally no justification for that statement.

What do you suppose we do, create a list of baby names people can use, all while forcing all non-white people to abandon their cultures to conform? No. We stop blaming the victims of racism, and actively work to attack racism and promote multiculturalism and fairness.
Last edited by Atlanticatia on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Lalaki wrote:
I feel like that is a consequence of our historically discriminatory society. Yes, obviously things have been getting better since the 1960's, but there is a large trend going on here.

The NBA is highly competitive and yet most basketball players are black. This is a very high paying job and thousands from all races compete for these jobs. This is proof that racism against blacks is not as common as you think.

The key is to work hard to be the best person for the job and you will get hired, regardless of race.

False equivalency for the win!
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Othelos wrote:ok then where are the sources

He is a GMU professor:

Oh a Randie. I see why you like him......
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Lalaki
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Do you guys think Rand Paul is similar to his father, Ron?

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:31 pm

Lalaki wrote:Do you guys think Rand Paul is similar to his father, Ron?

Nope. Rand is basically a copy of a copy.

I don't know of any instances where Ron sprinted from an embarrassing question.

I don't know of Ron making a statement and later talking like he never said it.

But then again. Ron and Rand are not something I care about. Well at least to make sure Rand is as successful at getting into the oval office as his dad.....

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:33 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Atlanticatia wrote:

Well now. Where do you live? I am wondering if you are a cousin. You talk like one.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:40 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

He did quote his racist newsletters (which also were personally printed and published by him) verbatim then ten years later denied he ever read them.

And then left before the press could follow up.

So, there's that.
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Death Metal wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

He did quote his racist newsletters (which also were personally printed and published by him) verbatim then ten years later denied he ever read them.

And then left before the press could follow up.

So, there's that.

Oh yeah. That slipped my mind.

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:45 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:
What do you suppose we do, create a list of baby names people can use, all while forcing all non-white people to abandon their cultures to conform? No. We stop blaming the victims of racism, and actively work to attack racism and promote multiculturalism and fairness.

Someone just checked their NS Issues :p

Seriously though, this. Rose by any other name is still a flower with thorns that's considered romantic for some reason.

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Atlanticatia wrote:

Someone just checked their NS Issues :p

Seriously though, this. Rose by any other name is still a flower with thorns that's considered romantic for some reason.

I think we should have respectable, white, middle class families name their children names like "Mo'nique" and "Shaniqua" or whatever.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General