NATION

PASSWORD

Female game dev Zoe Quinn sleeps her way to the top: scandal

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:01 am

Merizoc wrote:
Fortis Bellator wrote:
It's irrelevant because you don't want it to be? Or because you don't play video games and don't have an interest in the industry and are simply defending Zoe because your SJW senses were tingling?

It's irrelevant because it isn't mine, nor your business, who some woman fucks.

The problem is that if the allegations are true, she's made her fame as a game developer not based on the games she develops. In the professional world, that's a major problem. That means the reviews she received were not based on the reviewer's opinion of the game.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Couasia
Diplomat

Founded: May 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Couasia » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:01 am

Kelinfort wrote:Now we're asking the deep questions :roll:

yes we are, Plato :p

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:01 am

Bazrasha wrote:Everyone involved should be ashamed. Takes two to fuck it's not just this Zoe girl in the wrong it's everybody whom engaged in sex with her.

We don't have any evidence it happened. A blog by an angry ex that wants to ruin her is not evidence.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:01 am

Spoder wrote:Was Zoe Quinn even hot?

Why does that matter?

Fortis Bellator
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fortis Bellator » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:02 am

Ifreann wrote:
Couasia wrote:> implies me and every other critic of Zoe Quinn is a "misogynist"

Well you're all collectively flipping your shit over a woman being accused of sexual impropriety in an industry that everyone seems to agree was already riddled with corruption.

Because this was the fecal icing on top of a cake of detritus.
Airsoft is not a crime! Go USA!! ___ Germany! ___ Ireland!
Equal opportunity does not mean an equal result. Stop trying to make it that way.
I just wanted to let you guys know I identify as a pan-omnisexual lesbian-identifying sparkledragon bifocal-curious dominant XY male-on-monday female-on-friday arctic foxkin. Why won't you give me attention? /sarcasm
Economic Left/Right: 3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.90

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:02 am

Bazrasha wrote:Everyone involved should be ashamed. Takes two to fuck it's not just this Zoe girl in the wrong it's everybody whom engaged in sex with her.

The problem is not that she had sex, but that she had it with games journalists and developers as to acquire positive press and other favors.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Bazrasha
Envoy

Founded: Aug 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bazrasha » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:02 am

Threlizdun wrote:

We don't have any evidence it happened. A blog by an angry ex that wants to ruin her is not evidence.

Well then we can just pin the world allegedly at any point it's need in that post.

Couasia
Diplomat

Founded: May 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Couasia » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:03 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:The problem is not that she had sex, but that she had it with games journalists and developers as to acquire positive press and other favors.

It seems that her white knights and hyperfeminist defenders forget this fact all too often.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:03 am

Geilinor wrote:
Merizoc wrote:It's irrelevant because it isn't mine, nor your business, who some woman fucks.

The problem is that if the allegations are true, she's made her fame as a game developer not based on the games she develops. In the professional world, that's a major problem. That means the reviews she received were not based on the reviewer's opinion of the game.

It also makes people question the journalistic integrity of Kotaku journalists.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Fortis Bellator
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Fortis Bellator » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:04 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:

The problem is not that she had sex, but that she had it with games journalists and developers as to acquire positive press and other favors.

This is true, but the gleaming white knights are making it out to be that we only hate her "becuz she a defenseless wimmyn."
Equal opportunity does not mean an equal result. Stop trying to make it that way.
I just wanted to let you guys know I identify as a pan-omnisexual lesbian-identifying sparkledragon bifocal-curious dominant XY male-on-monday female-on-friday arctic foxkin. Why won't you give me attention? /sarcasm

Versail
Negotiator

Founded: May 21, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Versail » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:04 am

Napkiraly wrote:

Why does that matter?

It doesn't but no she's not.
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, Whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or in the holy name of liberty or democracy?~ Gandhi.
http://freerice.com/#/english-vocabulary/2499

Snjorlandio
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Snjorlandio » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:04 am

Threlizdun wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51Pf ... gfGGJR2yxQ

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:04 am

Couasia wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:The problem is not that she had sex, but that she had it with games journalists and developers as to acquire positive press and other favors.

It seems that her white knights and hyperfeminist defenders forget this fact all too often.
You don't have to be a feminist to doubt the validity of blogs from angry exes.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Bazrasha
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bazrasha » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:04 am

But said people are just as guilty as she is for taking part in those acts as well as giving her good press as a result. Although this isn't absolutely confirmed.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:05 am

Well, given the reviews on the actual site, there's no way she slept with each and every positive review. Not to mention, Boggs and Grayson are nowhere to be found on the list of positive reviews.

Spoder
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:05 am

Napkiraly wrote:

Why does that matter?

Because I believe that if Zoe Quinn was actually attractive enough, somebody could defend themselves by saying their "primitive instincts took hold of their body".

I'm also just curious to see what she looks like.

And, I suppose it would be more "disgusting" if she was repulsive.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:05 am

Couasia wrote:

I have no problem with her sex as much as her exploitation to get favors. It's unethical behavior more than anything else.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:06 am

Fortis Bellator wrote:

This is true, but the gleaming white knights are making it out to be that we only hate her "becuz she a defenseless wimmyn."

Her ex is obviously always right, it's not like he actually wanted to hurt her reputation or anything. *nods*

Fortis Bellator
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Fortis Bellator » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:06 am

Kelinfort wrote:

Well, given the reviews on the actual site, there's no way she slept with each and every positive review. Not to mention, Boggs and Grayson are nowhere to be found on the list of positive reviews.

They were also game developers, no? They could easily have dispersed their opinions through any source, had Zoe asked them to.

Versail
Negotiator

Founded: May 21, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Versail » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:06 am

Spoder wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Why does that matter?

Because I believe that if Zoe Quinn was actually attractive enough, somebody could defend themselves by saying their "primitive instincts took hold of their body".

I'm also just curious to see what she looks like.

And, I suppose it would be more "disgusting" if she was repulsive.

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, Whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or in the holy name of liberty or democracy?~ Gandhi.
http://freerice.com/#/english-vocabulary/2499

Bazrasha
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bazrasha » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:07 am

Couasia wrote:

Not really. In the eyes of the law if this were something like a bribe then they would be just as guilty as she is. They were complicity in an act they could have opted out of. I'm not a Feminist I quite honestly hate the modern feminist movement but to say it's only her in the wrong is absolutely ridiculous.

Unggoy Star Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Unggoy Star Empire » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:07 am

What is wrong with this World...

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:07 am

Spoder wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Why does that matter?

That's not a defense.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:08 am

Fortis Bellator wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Well, given the reviews on the actual site, there's no way she slept with each and every positive review. Not to mention, Boggs and Grayson are nowhere to be found on the list of positive reviews.

They were also game developers, no? They could easily have dispersed their opinions through any source, had Zoe asked them to.

Here's a complete list:

"Depression Quest hinges on its deeply personal writing style. It feels as though you’re reading someone’s unfiltered mental diary. Depression Quest is uncomfortable in that it feels voyeuristic, but the cramped proximity is how you develop a relationship with the character. It’s why, by the end, I was able to say I understood depression a bit better. It's a window." - Patrick Klepek, Giantbomb

"Similarly, content that addresses the complex and nuanced issues regarding mental illness and stigma, such as Depression Quest, should be lauded as providing something beneficial, in that users gain insight and understanding with stigma reduction as a consequence" - Ian Mahar, Kotaku

"More than four decades after Pong, players are tackling a range of heady subjects including cancer, depression and alcoholism. Instead of pumping adrenaline, these "empathy games" use the videogame form to tell stories that are far more personal than the Hollywood tropes most big budget games still rely on." - Connor Dougherty, Wall Street Journal

"The short of it: Depression Quest is not only good, it is truly revolutionary. It sets standards for relationships with games. It sets standards for relationships with ourselves, with our bodies, with our minds. It shows us what we can do and what we are, like a mirror that gives you the future and the brutal present all at once." - Cameron Kunzelman, This Cage Is Worms

"Depression sufferers often have precious little motivation, and in Depression Quest, you must try to manage your motivation level as you progress through the situations the game presents you with; as your motivation declines, options become grayed out and unavailable. Depression Quest makes use of imagery that changes depending on your depression level, and has a soundtrack by Isaac Schankler, who composed the music for the well-regarded narrative-driven game Analogue: A Hate Story." - Carolyn Petit, Gamespot

"In the same vein as Anna Anthropy’s Dys4ia made an effective attempt at getting players to emulate going through hormone replacement therapy, something that likely they’ll never have to deal with, Depression Quest serves as much as a tool for understanding and acceptance as it does an impeccable gaming one. Spare an hour to play it and ensure you’ve some time after that to decompress. It will make you a better person." - Mathew Jones, Gameranx

"The truly great thing about Depression Quest isn't the writing: it's the dialogue options you cannot choose. Anyone who plays it who doesn't understand depression will wonder why the fuck they can't click those 'sensible' options: tell your girlfriend how you feel, immediately go to the therapist. I am the ignorant mother. Because it's not a matter of choice, it's about what you feel you can and cannot do. Having those options there, then realising that your character claws back those options by forcing themselves to go on medication and talk to the therapist, is really enlightening." - Alan Williamson, Editor of Five Out Of Ten Magazine

"I’m sure I’m not the only one who can relate to the toils of depression and the complete drag it takes on your being. If you’ve been there, then we can probably give an acknowledging nod to each other as if to say, “I know; I know.” Once you start spiralling into that hole, it becomes very hard to stop, and it takes a lot to get out of it. This is what Depression Quest translates into gameplay inside an interactive (non)fiction consisting over 40,000 words." - Chris Priestman, IndieStatik

"The new interactive fiction game from Zoe Quinn, Patrick Lindsey and Isaac Schankler begins with a quote from David Foster Wallace and a warning. Both of them tightened the knot in my stomach and made me feel a little less sure of myself. I decided that now is not the time to click ‘Begin’. I’ve never lived with depression, at least not my own, but I’ve experienced it through others and know that at least one of those people would be extremely anxious but hopeful when faced with that button. This is ‘game’ as communication, comfort and tool of understanding. " - Adam Smith, Rock Paper Shotgun

"Thankfully, Depression Quest doesn't try to dress up the experience of depression into an 'Hollywood thrill-ride', and instead goes for something much more genuine. I'd wager that's why it's already making a difference in people's lives." - Jonathan Holmes, Destructoid

"Besides the blues-ridden story, it's just a well-made game overall. It's excellently written, well-paced, and so engaging that you might just find yourself playing again to find out what might happen if you'd accepted the offer of psychological help, or asked for a prescription for anti-depressants." - Katie Williams, Gamespy

"Not only were the scenarios all too familiar. Depression Quest’s description of the symptoms and feelings that come along with the disease is the most poignantly accurate depiction of depression I have ever read. Zoe, Patrick, and Isaac didn’t merely stop at spying on me. They were in my head. They knew every ounce of my anguish, my sadness, my embarrassment. And then they laid it all out on a page in a way I had never dreamed possible." - M. A. Chabolla

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:08 am

Couasia wrote:

All the white knights want you to do is recognize that these accusations are from an angry ex.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General