NATION

PASSWORD

Should welfare recipients be required to pass drug tests?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Terseti
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Should welfare recipients be required to pass drug tests?

Postby Terseti » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Do you think welfare recipients should be required to pass drug tests in order to receive welfare? I think so because most taxpayers ( *cough* the ones who are paying for their welfare) have to pass drug tests in order to get their jobs. Why should they be free to do as they please with our money?

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Mandatory drug testing costs more money than it saves.

And it's not like being a drug user makes someone any less worthy of, well, being able to survive. If anything, it makes it that much harder to sort their life out.
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:07 pm

Source that most people have to pass drug tests to get a job?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:16 pm

No.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Yes. Why not? Why should tax dollars go to support someone's drug habit? If they fail, they should have an opportunity for rehab - best thing all around.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Florida Law on Drug Tests for Welfare Is Struck Down

Nevermind that blanket drug testing for welfare applications constitutes illegal and unwarranted search.
Last edited by Gauthier on Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Ever heard the phrase "don't cut off your nose to spite your face"?

That.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Eleanor Ritas
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eleanor Ritas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:55 pm

Terseti wrote:Do you think welfare recipients should be required to pass drug tests in order to receive welfare? I think so because most taxpayers ( *cough* the ones who are paying for their welfare) have to pass drug tests in order to get their jobs. Why should they be free to do as they please with our money?

Most taxpayers have to pass drug tests to get their jobs?

How about instead, if someone's substance abuse (which is a disease and a medical issue) makes them unable to manage public funds allotted to help them survive, they be given housing, food, and treatment for addiction in lieu of cash?

That way addicts won't be left on the streets to die (and do harmful things to others in the course of it), and public funds won't be paying for drugs, they'll be paying for housing, food, and medical care for people who need it to live.
Kirby Delauter for General Forum Moderator!

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Terseti wrote:Do you think welfare recipients should be required to pass drug tests in order to receive welfare? I think so because most taxpayers ( *cough* the ones who are paying for their welfare) have to pass drug tests in order to get their jobs. Why should they be free to do as they please with our money?

Studies - and experience with those places who have tried this idea - have established that welfare recipients use drugs at a significantly lower rate than the rest of the population.

Your "idea" will further stigmatize people on welfare (b/c, you know, that doesn't happen enough already), cost a lot of money, recover very little and - oh, yes - invade the privacy of every person you bully into taking part in it.

Eleanor Ritas wrote:

How about instead, if someone's substance abuse (which is a disease and a medical issue) makes them unable to manage public funds allotted to help them survive, they be given housing, food, and treatment for addiction in lieu of cash?

That way addicts won't be left on the streets to die (and do harmful things to others in the course of it), and public funds won't be paying for drugs, they'll be paying for housing, food, and medical care for people who need it to live.

I get the impression that OP's objection to that idea amounts to, "But that doesn't punish them enough! And I can't feel all superior and self-righteous about it!"
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:48 pm

This issue is tricky. On one hand, it's the government intruding in people's lives, and it costs money. On the other, I don't want my money going to druggies.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:54 pm

No!

Now stop bringing these absurd ideas that hurt the welfare system more than help it.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Vicious Debaters
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Debaters » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:54 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
Studies - and experience with those places who have tried this idea - have established that welfare recipients use drugs at a significantly lower rate than the rest of the population.

Your "idea" will further stigmatize people on welfare (b/c, you know, that doesn't happen enough already), cost a lot of money, recover very little and - oh, yes - invade the privacy of every person you bully into taking part in it.

...I get the impression that OP's objection to that idea amounts to, "But that doesn't punish them enough! And I can't feel all superior and self-righteous about it!"

I fucking love you. This, very much this. :clap:

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:54 pm

no, you could have a single mom with 3 kids and the mom is a functional addict or more likely an occasional user. cut off the mom's benefits your cutting off the kids as well.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Murkwood wrote:This issue is tricky. On one hand, it's the government intruding in people's lives, and it costs money. On the other, I don't want my money going to druggies.

Not all "druggies" are loners, hell many of them have families that would starve or make even less of their ends meet without that money.
Last edited by Benuty on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:00 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:

Eleanor Ritas wrote:

I get the impression that OP's objection to that idea amounts to, "But that doesn't punish them enough! And I can't feel all superior and self-righteous about it!"

Not only that: it's a trick.

I've seen how this works. Today, they require drug tests. Tomorrow, they use the presence of drug tests as "proof" that the poor are worthless drug users, and we can cut them off.

I wasn't born yesterday.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:04 pm

It stops being your money once the government gets it. According to the National Council of State Legislatures ...

States have proposed drug testing of applicants and recipients of public welfare benefits since federal welfare reform in 1996. The federal rules permit drug testing as part of the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families block grant. In recent years, many states have proposed some form of drug testing or screening for applicants. In 2009, over 20 states proposed legislation that would require drug testing as a condition of eligibility for public assistance programs. In 2010 at least 12 states had similar proposals. None of these proposals became law because most of the legislation was focused on “suspicionless” or “random” drug testing, which is at odds with a 2003 Michigan Court of Appeals case. Marchwinski v. Howard ruled that subjecting every welfare applicant in Michigan to a drug test without reason to believe that drugs were being used, was unconstitutional.

The proposals gained momentum beginning in in the 2011 session. Three states passed legislation in 2011, four states enacted laws in 2012, two states passed legislation in 2013, and two states has passed legislation in 2014, bringing the total number of states to eleven. In 2013, Kansas enacted legislation to require drug testing for applicants and recipients suspected of using controlled substances. In 2012, Utah passed legislation requiring applicants to complete a written questionnaire screening for drug use and Georgia passed legislation requiring drug tests for all applicants for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. Tennessee approved a bill to require the department to develop a plan for substance abuse testing for all applicants and Oklahoma passed a measure requiring all applicants for TANF to be screened for illegal drug use.

So it's an on-going thing and there are serious constitutional issues, it seems.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Vicious Debaters
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Debaters » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Galloism wrote:I've seen how this works. Today, they require drug tests. Tomorrow, they use the presence of drug tests as "proof" that the poor are worthless drug users, and we can cut them off.

I wasn't born yesterday.

Not just that. :unsure:

I think it's also the means of making it harder to get on welfare. Doing many small steps successively to add requirements can make it a hassle for people to start getting benefits, which also means potentially paying less people.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Vicious Debaters wrote:
Galloism wrote:I've seen how this works. Today, they require drug tests. Tomorrow, they use the presence of drug tests as "proof" that the poor are worthless drug users, and we can cut them off.

I wasn't born yesterday.

I think it's also the means of making it harder to get on welfare. Doing many small steps successively to add requirements can make it a hassle for people to start getting benefits, which also means potentially paying less people.

With luck, they will starve or die of exposure before completing the steps, and we save the money.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Galloism wrote:
Vicious Debaters wrote:

With luck, they will starve or die of exposure before completing the steps, and we save the money.

What makes you think you're getting any of the money saved?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:12 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Galloism wrote:With luck, they will starve or die of exposure before completing the steps, and we save the money.

What makes you think you're getting any of the money saved?

Nebulous "we".

Marispatria
Attaché

Founded: May 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Marispatria » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:15 pm

As others have pointed out, it's counter-productive, pointless, and has nothing to do with protecting the public purse and everything to do with stigmatising welfare recipients.

Also, once you go down that route, where the hell does it stop? Are you going to micro-manage every other aspect of their lives as well? Diet? What time they go to bed? I thought we were dealing with capable adults here, not children.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:24 pm

No, because what others said.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Terseti wrote: I think so because most taxpayers ( *cough* the ones who are paying for their welfare) have to pass drug tests in order to get their jobs.

[citation needed]

Also, hi, I'm an employed taxpayer, and I've never had to take a drug test. Personal anecdote aside, sounds like drug-testing for welfare applicants actually costs more of taxpayers' hard-earned dollars, while not snaring tons and tons of those ebil welfare drug queens and kings, and not really affecting how many people apply anyway.

So basically, you're saying all taxpayers should have to pay even more of their money for welfare recipients.
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

The Fascist American Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist American Empire » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:09 pm

I don't see why not. Just bring in a doctor's note if need be, say for prescription marijuana, which is legal in, I believe, 17 states.
Last edited by The Fascist American Empire on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Americans, hands off Ukraine and let Russia do what they will in their own sphere of influence! You are not the world's police!
You obviously do since you posted a response like the shifty little red velvet pseudo ant you are. Yes I am onto your little tricks you hissing pest you exoskeleton brier patch you. Now crawl back in to that patch of grass you call hell and hiss some more. -Benuty
[quote="Arkandros";p="20014230"]

RIP Eli Waller
Race! It is a feeling, not a reality: ninety-five percent, at least, is a feeling. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today. -Benito Mussolini

Saint Kitten
Senator

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Kitten » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:11 pm

No, it wouldn't be all that helpful. And costly
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."
-Mark Twain
I Side With
Political Compass
Dear Future Generations

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General