NATION

PASSWORD

Should False Rape Allegations Be Charged?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:21 pm

Delmonte wrote:
Caninope wrote:At what point does something go from an unproven allegation to a false allegation?

It would be the same standard as proving it. Failure to prove isn't the same as proven false. And it wouldn't be for just rape. It would be for every crime.

The problem being that it's substantially harder to disprove something happening than to prove it happening. It's also silly to include all false rape allegations as being lies (a false rape allegation could be due to confusion- if a victim was traumatized and was raped but the wrong fellow was convicted, that's hardly worthy of a crime).
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Caninope wrote:At what point does something go from an unproven allegation to a false allegation?

When it's disproven.

Yes, but it's substantially harder to disprove that something happened (especially in general) than to prove that it happened.
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Delmonte
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Delmonte wrote:It would be the same standard as proving it. Failure to prove isn't the same as proven false. And it wouldn't be for just rape. It would be for every crime.

In a court of law, if an allegation is unproven, it is false.

You're wrong. I don't even know what else to say. That's actually just completely, ineffably wrong.
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
[15:35] <Tag> I can only presume it is treasure.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
<Delmonte> Metaphorically kill their metaphorical family.
Code: Select all
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

The man from Delmonte says yes.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 pm

Delmonte wrote:

It would be the same standard as proving it. Failure to prove isn't the same as proven false. And it wouldn't be for just rape. It would be for every crime.

Exactly, it's probably going to see a conviction rate on the false allegations at a similar rate to rape allegations as the evidence will probably not be strong enough to prove a crime has been committed.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:23 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Delmonte wrote:It would be the same standard as proving it. Failure to prove isn't the same as proven false. And it wouldn't be for just rape. It would be for every crime.

In the United States, that's wrong. In a criminal case, no one is ever found innocent, they are found "not guilty"- it means the allegations against them were either unproven or false, but not necessarily the latter.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:24 pm

Caninope wrote:

The problem being that it's substantially harder to disprove something happening than to prove it happening. It's also silly to include all false rape allegations as being lies (a false rape allegation could be due to confusion- if a victim was traumatized and was raped but the wrong fellow was convicted, that's hardly worthy of a crime).

That is also true. That isn't worth of a crime in that case as the evidence would have been strong enough for a rape conviction in the first place. Maybe a settlement from the state for wrongful conviction, but no crime.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:25 pm

Delmonte wrote:
Geilinor wrote:In a court of law, if an allegation is unproven, it is false.

You're wrong. I don't even know what else to say. That's actually just completely, ineffably wrong.

An allegation could be found false due to confusion or lack of evidence.
Last edited by Geilinor on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Magna Libero
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Magna Libero » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:26 pm

Yes, it might be worth a consideration. However, how would this work? I guess it might be difficult to prove an allegation wrong -- atleast it's much easier to say that a person has been raped compared to the efforts of investigating if the allegation is true or false.
hi

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:28 pm

Caninope wrote:

We have judges to take those things into account. Deaths can be accidents but still be crimes. The sentence is merely reduced.
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

Densaner
Minister

Founded: Jul 19, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Densaner » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:29 pm

Yes. That's why someone charged with Rape or similar sexual offences should be given anonymity until any prosecution is successful. Alleged victims are given that right. A charge of false Rape should prosecuted to fullest extent of the law. Whether that means wasting police time, wrongful prosecution and perjury if it makes it to court.

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:29 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Delmonte wrote:You're wrong. I don't even know what else to say. That's actually just completely, ineffably wrong.

Just like someone innocent could be found guilty for those reasons? It would just be another crime.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:30 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Delmonte wrote:You're wrong. I don't even know what else to say. That's actually just completely, ineffably wrong.

Lack of evidence tends to be the reason rape convictions are so low as to state only 10% of rape reports result in a felony conviction if 40 out of 100 are reported and 4 out of 100 result in a felony conviction. Does it mean those reports are false to the point of being a crime? No, just there wasn't enough evidence to result in a conviction.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:30 pm

Of course, as long as there is a way to determine which allegations are knowingly false and which are not.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:30 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Geilinor wrote:An allegation could be found false due to confusion or lack of evidence.

Lack of evidence tends to be the reason rape convictions are so low as to state only 10% of rape reports result in a felony conviction if 40 out of 100 are reported and 4 out of 100 result in a felony conviction. Does it mean those reports are false to the point of being a crime? No, just there wasn't enough evidence to result in a conviction.

How would an allegation be proven false?

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:31 pm

Yes, of course.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:32 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Formal Logic doesn't apply to a criminal court of law.

You're thinking of the Null Hypothesis in Formal Logic, but in a court of law you are trying to prove your case, if you cannot prove it you simply cannot prove there is enough evidence to support your allegations against the defendant, but it never is actually a false charge; it is just an unproven charge.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:33 pm

Caninope wrote:I think you're having a problem here. How can we prove something didn't happen?

A couple of ways would be to prove that the accused was nowhere near the accuser at the time of the supposed crime, or was only with the accuser while in a very public place, such as at a sports arena watching a game.

Or, to put it more academically, by proving that something else happened instead.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:33 pm

Geilinor wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:Lack of evidence tends to be the reason rape convictions are so low as to state only 10% of rape reports result in a felony conviction if 40 out of 100 are reported and 4 out of 100 result in a felony conviction. Does it mean those reports are false to the point of being a crime? No, just there wasn't enough evidence to result in a conviction.

How would an allegation be proven false?

Sometimes, there's evidence proving consensual sex occurred and the victim regrets it to the point of claiming it was rape in hindsight. Others like said video in my OP have blatant crocodile tears and no evidence supporting it at all. It's probably as hard to prove it was intentionally false with malicious intent than to prove it was in fact rape.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:34 pm

Geilinor wrote:

No, an allegation can only be found false if there is enough evidence in court to support the defendant's side that he/she/they never committed the crime in the first place.

Lack of evidence in a trial doesn't mean you're wrong, it just means you lack conclusive evidence.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:35 pm

Caninope wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:When it's disproven.

Yes, but it's substantially harder to disprove that something happened (especially in general) than to prove that it happened.

That's not a problem.
it is my firm belief that I should never have to justify my beliefs.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:36 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Geilinor wrote:An allegation could be found false due to confusion or lack of evidence.

No, an allegation can only be found false if there is enough evidence in court to support the defendant's side that he/she/they never committed the crime in the first place.

Lack of evidence in a trial doesn't mean you're wrong, it just means you lack conclusive evidence.

Courts only prove "not guilty", they don't prove that defendants have not committed a crime.

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:37 pm

It can be found false if there is insufficient evidence to prove it as true. Ever heard of "beyond a reasonable doubt"?

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:37 pm

And not just inconclusive as to the outcome. It's more common to see inconclusive evidence leaving a seed of doubt allowing for the defendant to walk free than an outright situation of the defendant never committed the crime in the first place.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:37 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:

It can be found false if there is insufficient evidence to prove it as true. Ever heard of "beyond a reasonable doubt"?

Yes, and my argument is that in such a case, no crime has necessarily been committed.

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:38 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:It can be found false if there is insufficient evidence to prove it as true. Ever heard of "beyond a reasonable doubt"?

Yes, and my argument is that in such a case, no crime has necessarily been committed.

Legally, yes.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General