NATION

PASSWORD

Your Opinion of Political Correctness

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:41 pm

Korouse wrote:Why can't we just operate within common sense and not get fucking offended at EVERYTHING?

Cuz liberals.
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Velandia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Velandia » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Political Correctness is getting out of hand. I got trouble in school for saying the word "retarded". The secretary lady heard me and said that's offensive to people.
Last edited by Velandia on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 years old | Lives in Texas | College Student | Christian

Korouse
Minister

Founded: Mar 10, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korouse » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Viritica wrote:
Korouse wrote:Why can't we just operate within common sense and not get fucking offended at EVERYTHING?

Cuz liberals.

Because stupid people*

not all Liberals are overly-sensitive radicals.
"Everything is illusory except power,' the revolutionary people reply." - Vladimir Lenin

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Viritica wrote:

Cuz liberals.

Political correctness isn't about getting offended at everything. Some take it too far, others don't.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 pm

Viritica wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:1. No, it is fucking not. It is not an example of political correctness because the people, if any, who complain about the use of the word "citizen" do not form an otherwise disadvantaged demographic. This "example" is only an example of how you have no idea what the term really means.

2. It's been acknowledged by many to be a dehumanizing term. Not to mention the tensions it incites. I really don't care if you think it has no derogatory meaning because you're wrong.

3. You say this, yet you refuse to use another less-inflammatory term meaning the same thing because you don't want to.

4. We really didn't need you wanking this white pride stuff all over the thread.

5. If you don't like being called a racist, then don't say racist things. I'd imagine it's a typical response from anybody when dealing with people who are obviously racists. Yet you continually make out the problem is everybody else because you couldn't possibly be racist :roll:

1. Jews aren't a disadvantaged demographic? Huh, I was unaware antisemitism as all gone.

Jews don't find the word citizen offensive.

Seriously, are you unable to read or memorize anything? Because I've proven how you're full of shit with this example several times now and you just keep wanting to run around in circles. If you've got some sort of impairment, please let me know what I'm dealing with so I can change my approach.

2. And it's been acknowledged by others to not be dehumanizing. A few people claiming something is dehumanizing doesn't make it dehumanizing. If you immigrate here legally then you're an immigrant. If you immigrate here illegally then you're an illegal immigrant. It's that simple. Now stop bitching.

"In my opinion, illegal immigrant is not dehumanizing so it isn't"
"In my opinion, dyke isn't dehumanizing so it isn't"
"In my opinion, worthless nigger isn't dehumanizing so it isn't"

3. Yes, because a few people finding it offensive for no good reason isn't really gonna make me use another term.

How did you make it this far in life without learning any social graces whatsoever?

4. :rofl:

That actually made me chuckle. That was a strawman so massive it would make Scarecrow envious.

You posted it.

5. Except referring to an illegal immigrant as an illegal immigrant isn't a racist or derogatory term. It's calling them what they are. Illegal immigrants. Do I see them as subhuman? Nah. Not really. And you bashing your head against a wall trying to convince yourself that I'm a racist really isn't gonna change that.

No, you're a racist through and through. It really doesn't take much convincing to see why. To put it how you would, if you're a racist then you're a racist, now stop bitching.
Yes.

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Floating Island of the Sleeping God » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 pm

Velandia wrote:Political Correctness is getting out of hand. I got trouble in school for saying the word "retarded". The secretary lady heard me and said that's offensive.

Well, it sorta is. It's offensive to the mentally retarded to make light of their condition by calling things retarded instead of stupid. That's just basic reasoning.
"When Fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and bearing the cross."
-Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here
The Blaatschapen wrote:Just to note, liberals are not sheep. Sheep are liberals ;)

Catholic Priest of Lithianity

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Floating Island of the Sleeping God » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:48 pm

United Dependencies wrote:I think Neo Art has said it best:

Neo Art wrote:
*earlier quotes and responses edited out*

The whole thing about "political correctness" is just the recognition that hey, words have meanings. And maybe not always the meanings you think they have, at least not to all the same people, all the time.

See, her'es the real deal. For the most part, us non christian liberals aren't all that particularly uspet about someone telling us "merry christmas". I like the sentiment. Thank you for wishing me well. I'm not bothered by YOU, holiday happiness wisher. I'm vaguelly miffed at the cultural circumstances in which you operate.

You see, for the most part, us non christian folks just want to keep on keeping on. The days are short, the nights are cold, and we're just trying to fucking get by. We don't care about "waging a war" on christmas. We really don't fucking care what you believe, and frankly, we would just appreciate the same courtesy. All this "political correctness" goes is to say hey, when you say merry christmas, you're making assumptions about that person. And you may mean well, and it may be an honest, friendly gesture, but you're still making assumptions. Assumptions that aren't true for literally millions of people in this country. And if you really meant well, if you really, truly, wanted to wish me well, as a good christian, as a good person, is it really necessary to make that assumption? And, in fact, doesn't that assumption take away from that message a bit?

That's all "pc" wants to be, thats its only goal. To educate you. To inform you. To make you aware of what your words ACTUALLY mean. That when you say "merry christmas" it might be a nice gesture, it might be a symbol of good will. But it's also a particular assumption about the person you're saying it to, and is that an asusmption you REALLY should be making? Or does that presumption lose something? Is it REALLY come across that way? Or does it read as "have a good day, provided you believe like me". Does it raise that tiny specter of "I'm only saying this because I think you and I think alike"

All "politically correct" tries to do is inform you of the fact that if peace love and harmony is your goal, you can do that WITHOUT making assumptions about me. What you DO with that information is your choice. If your choice is to say "you're right, I will do so in a way that doesn't make assumptions" that's great. If your choice is "No! I will CONTINUE to do this and you WILL FUCKING LIKE IT!" then ok, that's your choice too.

But if, armed with this information, you still choose to make that choice, then let's drop this pretention that it's all about love and harmony, and realize what it actually is. You just want to be a dick.

Which is why the right wing I think is so furiously up in arms about this "war on christmas" bullshit. Because it does two things. One, it asks them to recognize that there are non christians in this world, something it is dead set against doing (how's that landslide shaping up WIllard?), and second, it's part of the broader "PC culture war". "PC" isn't about TELLING you what you can say, it's merely informing you of how your words are taken in the broader culture. What you DO with that knowledge is up to you. But it disarms the right wing defense. They claim it's a "war on christmas" but what it really is, is a war against their ability to throw their hands in the air, shrug their shoulders and go "what, I'm just saying Merry Christmas here, what's the problem with that? You like christmas, like a good american, don't you?"

The left wing "war on christmas" is actually just another brach on the right wing's attack on cultural education. Because once people actually LEARN what their words mean, LEARN how they're taken, LEARN the cultural interpretation of their meanings, then they don't get to hide behind the right wing's favorite weapon, ignorance.

Because when you educate people on the actual meaning of what they actual say, you take away their ability to hide behind fake ignorance, and leave them with only two options. Be a decent human being, or be a dick. And you can be a dick, if you want, that's your choice.

But that also means you have to own up to the social consequences of it. And if continuing to say "merry christmas" long after someone's explained that this is really presumptuous of your target recipient, even though you might mean well is a concious choice to say "I recognize that may actions may be insensitive, and I just don't care", and it's also a concious choice to deal with the ramifications of being perceived that way.

And if the next question is "what ramifications of being perceived that way" well, ask President Romney. Oh. That's right. You can't. He lost.

Seriously though, seconded. This right here.
"When Fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and bearing the cross."
The Blaatschapen wrote:Just to note, liberals are not sheep. Sheep are liberals ;)

Korouse
Minister

Postby Korouse » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:48 pm

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God wrote:
Velandia wrote:Political Correctness is getting out of hand. I got trouble in school for saying the word "retarded". The secretary lady heard me and said that's offensive.

Well, it sorta is. It's offensive to the mentally retarded to make light of their condition by calling things retarded instead of stupid. That's just basic reasoning.

He could've meant flame retardant :)

See, you're being sensitive and cutting to the chase.
"Everything is illusory except power,' the revolutionary people reply." - Vladimir Lenin

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:49 pm

It's sometimes democratic and beneficial to offend others.

Sometimes, it's oppressive and fascistic.

It's up to us to determine what is and what isn't.

A big problem nowadays is that censorship is in the hands of private corporations, the MPAA being the movie industry's example.

They are based on what will make them money, not on being democratic or reasonable.

Ergo, their political correctness will seem schizophrenic.
Last edited by The Rich Port on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:50 pm

The medical term has been changed to "intellectual disability". http://nichcy.org/disability/specific/intellectual
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Korouse
Minister

Postby Korouse » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:51 pm

United Dependencies wrote:I think Neo Art has said it best:

Seriously though, seconded. This right here.

I read that and I just wanna say, the first two paragraphs were a rant how it's hard to be a non-christian liberal.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Floating Island of the Sleeping God » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:55 pm

Korouse wrote:
The Floating Island of the Sleeping God wrote:Well, it sorta is. It's offensive to the mentally retarded to make light of their condition by calling things retarded instead of stupid. That's just basic reasoning.

He could've meant flame retardant :)

Then he would've said retardant instead of retarded, wouldn't he? Checkmate! :p

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Floating Island of the Sleeping God » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:55 pm

Korouse wrote:
The Floating Island of the Sleeping God wrote:Seriously though, seconded. This right here.

I read that and I just wanna say, the first two paragraphs were a rant how it's hard to be a non-christian liberal.

...and? No comment on the body of the message or how it applies to the discussion? Just gonna criticize the example he went with?

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Viritica wrote:

Cuz liberals.

Oddly enough, the most serious offense that I've seen in this thread is from you being offended by liberals.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:01 pm

Velandia wrote:Political Correctness is getting out of hand. I got trouble in school for saying the word "retarded". The secretary lady heard me and said that's offensive to people.

It's a rude term. Sorry that you'll have to resort to "stupid", "ridiculous", or some other word that isn't offensive to those with actual mental retardation.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:02 pm

Never mind.
Last edited by Yumyumsuppertime on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Korouse
Minister

Postby Korouse » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:03 pm

Korouse wrote:He could've meant flame retardant :)

Then he would've said retardant instead of retarded, wouldn't he? Checkmate! :p

Well if someone was flame retardant he would have said retard!

BIGOT!

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Floating Island of the Sleeping God » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:07 pm

Korouse wrote:
The Floating Island of the Sleeping God wrote:Then he would've said retardant instead of retarded, wouldn't he? Checkmate! :p

Well if someone was flame retardant he would have said retard!

BIGOT!

That's racist. Check your privilege!

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:17 pm

Lalaki wrote:I always believe that there is a least offensive way to word things. If being politically correct means that I try my best to be respectful and courteous to other people by being careful with my words and using polite language, then let it be known that I am politically correct. If being politically correct means that I debate people nicely instead of rudely, let it be known that I am politically correct. If being politically correct means that I acknowledge the sensibility of others and wish to respect that, then let it be known that I am politically correct.

I don't see what is wrong with being polite and acknowledging the sensitivities of other people. Even when I was a strong right-wing libertarian, I was still politically correct.
Born again free market capitalist.

Respawn
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Respawn » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:32 pm

Velandia wrote:Political Correctness is getting out of hand. I got trouble in school for saying the word "retarded". The secretary lady heard me and said that's offensive to people.

Not to be condescending, but school kids learn eventually. I remember this one time when I was in school, I was going around saying your mother jokes to people. Little did I know that I said it to one kid whose mother passed away. Of course I felt awful afterwards, but that was many years ago. Just put yourself in the other person's shoes.

A little bit of self censorship is normal. As clever and as popular as they were, you would never see shows like Mind Your Language and Love Thy Neighbour on television screens these days, for better or worse. This is far more obvious example of "political correctness".
Last edited by Respawn on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:19 am

Kelinfort wrote:Just so were clear what's being discussed:
From Merriam Webster's:
Politically Correct: conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated.

I know a lot of unnecessary rhetoric comes under scrutiny for being politically incorrect, but we're just discussing the above. Many of course claim that this is "onerous" and prevents truth from being told. So I want to know, NS, what is your opinion of political correctness?

As for me, I believe some of it is unnecessary and downright unneeded, however, the word political correctness is terrible for describing what it truly is: not being an asshole.

Pretty much.

Also, its a myth used by the right to, ironically and hypocritically, enforce their own particular brand of political correctness. They don't see it as being "politically correct" to not treat people like assholes, and thus use "PC" as a meaningless buzzphrase against X (whatever they don't like), instead of judging X on its own merits.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:36 am

Seriously, right?

My teacher heard me call something faggoty the other day and put me in detention because of it. Why can't homosexuals understand that I'm not trying to insult them when I associate negative things with the word faggot?
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:55 am

Is it just me or most of you are in the secondary school system still?
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Spoder
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:58 am

Soldati senza confini wrote:Is it just me or most of you are in the secondary school system still?

*Is it just me or are most of you still in the secondary school system?

Answer: I don't know about anybody else, but I turned 14 on the 8th of February.

Don't start with your aegism BS. If you're going to do that, then please fuck off.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:02 am

Spoder wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:Is it just me or most of you are in the secondary school system still?

*Is it just me or are most of you still in the secondary school system?

Answer: I don't know about anybody else, but I turned 14 on the 8th of February.

Don't start with your aegism BS. If you're going to do that, then please fuck off.

*ageism
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General