NATION

PASSWORD

Your Opinion of Political Correctness

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cumalas
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cumalas » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:25 am

Political correctness is a bit of vague idea. But anyone who uses the term opposes the concept.
Last edited by Cumalas on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:37 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Layarteb wrote:It's intolerably insufferable and it needs to go the way of the dinosaur in a similarly cataclysmic end. It is an enemy to any freedom of speech or thought and it has become a tool for oppression and double standard.

Pretty much this. Plus, it's heavily used here in NSG to stifle opposing views, which I find incredibly abhorrent in a forum that supposedly revolves around free expression of opinions. I particularly despise the use of PC in mob posting, where a thundering waterfall of posts descends on anyone who opposes the "correct" truth.

Freedom of speech and expression is not a freedom from criticism. People with stupid beliefs should have those beliefs ridiculed.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:44 am

I have stopped fucking caring about what offends anyone. Literally everything offends someone and I have had enough of it, I am in favour of abolishing it completely.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:47 am

Shago wrote:Political Correctness is a bunch of BULLSHIT! Always having to tip-toe around one group of peoples "sensitivities" and "feelings", its a disgrace to human nature.

YEAH! How dare I take a little bit of extra time to show respect to other people by doing just a little bit more to accommodate them! That's why I go around calling my mother a "bitch" everyday!

Like seriously. Does it kill you to do just a little to be respectful to other people? If you're genuinely not a bigot, then it's as simple as just addressing people as how they want to be addressed.
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:48 am

Viritica wrote:People don't have a right to not be offended. It's as simple as that.

And people have a duty to show basic kindness and respect to other people. Far too often we frame political correctness (and too many other things) in terms of rights, but what of duties?
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:50 am

Caninope wrote:
Viritica wrote:People don't have a right to not be offended. It's as simple as that.

And people have a duty to show basic kindness and respect to other people. Far too often we frame political correctness (and too many other things) in terms of rights, but what of duties?

No, they don't have a "duty". It's expected, but they don't have to.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:52 am

Cubanya wrote:My point is that when talking with people, I can't even say "raise the white flag" for fear of offending caucasians, sing "Springtime for Hitler" from "The Producers" for fear of offending Jews, support the Washington football team for fear of offending Native Americans, or do anything for fear of offending somebody. It's a load of bullshit.

Sorry. Cow waste.

Raise the white flag! (I'm Caucasian, which means I have a right to say words because im the same color as it even though i will cry racism if anyone else says it! its a joke, get it?

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:59 am

Wind in the Willows wrote:
Caninope wrote:And people have a duty to show basic kindness and respect to other people. Far too often we frame political correctness (and too many other things) in terms of rights, but what of duties?

That's sort of what a duty is; there's no legal obligation do so, but there most certainly is a moral obligation to do so.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:03 am

Caninope wrote:

That's sort of what a duty is; there's no legal obligation do so, but there most certainly is a moral obligation to do so.

Well fuck morals.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:06 am

Caninope wrote:That's sort of what a duty is; there's no legal obligation do so, but there most certainly is a moral obligation to do so.

Well fuck morals.

Because the way to live a happy and social life is to just utterly reject the moral and ethical codes of a society, amirite or amirite?

Is it really so hard to show someone just a little respect by saying, "Oh, I'm sorry. I won't call you by <insert slur here> anymore because I know that it offends you," ?
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:07 am

Kelinfort wrote:
Murkwood wrote:1. Rand Paul?
2. Many Republicans have already said this.
3. See above.
4. This is not the GOP's official position.
5. See above.

Pardon me for the source, but it is not a left wing phenomena alone: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... nservative)

Let's take a crack at them.

frankfurters became "hot dogs" during world war I

Actually, this was the doing of Progressive Democrats like Wilson.

french fries became freedom fries in 2003

That was more of a joke than anything. Few took it seriously.

David Horowitz's "Academic Bill of Rights"

This is a very tight document. Have you even read it? It's not politically correct in the traditional sense. While it's not common view among Republicans, they will allow in-party debate.

attempts to "teach the controversy" by creationists in biology courses, and global warming deniers in environmental science courses

That's only from a few, crazy zealots. Many Republicans don't like that, and it's not politically correct, in or outside of the party.

Any number of campaigns against plays or films, such as Life of Brian or Jesus Christ Superstar, on the grounds that they are "offensive to Christians;" conservative Catholic groups are particularly fond of this tactic

Really, it varies on this one.

Encouragement of anti-gay activists to eschew the words "gay" and "homosexual" in favor of such phrases as "unnatural vice" and "anti-Christian"

Like, 0 people say those words.

Global warming deniers whining about being called "deniers." They prefer the term "skeptic."

And? Being called a denier in the same vein as a Holocaust Denier is wrong, and should be called out.

"Enhanced interrogation techniques"

How is this politically correct for Conservatives? You are allowed to discuss it.

"Homicide bombing"

I haven't heard anyone use this in years. And I watch Fox.

Atheist billboards are seen as insensitive to Christians.

Well, several are. I guess this could be seen as PC, but it could also be seen as the billboards just being offensive, and people not wanting them.

Republicans changing the names of committees in the House of Representatives to change "labor" to "workforce" and remove any mention of "civil rights"

Few people use "labor" anymore in the US. As for civil rights, I think that's because people will always think of it coupled with the Civil Right movement, and thy don't want confusion.

Free speech zones

Uhh...the Republican party actually campaigns against these.

The Dixie Chicks causing controversy by criticizing George Bush

If celebrities say stupid things, they should be called out on it.

ward churchill getting blasted to high heavens for insulting innocent americans (although this was definitely justified)

If people who are teaching our kids say stupid things, they should be called to account.

The whole fox news "war on christmas" nonsense

It's not nonsense.

Conservatives
are just as PC as liberals!

Yeah, that's a lie.
Last edited by Murkwood on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:09 am

Murkwood wrote:PC would be supporting the teachers unions.

No, supporting the teacher's union is neither PC nor un-PC. It's a political position, period.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:11 am

Caninope wrote:
Murkwood wrote:PC would be supporting the teachers unions.

No, supporting the teacher's union is neither PC nor un-PC. It's a political position, period.

But the politically correct position is.

But I can see how that might be misunderstood. Let me go back and clarify it.
Last edited by Murkwood on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:14 am

Murkwood wrote:
Caninope wrote:No, supporting the teacher's union is neither PC nor un-PC. It's a political position, period.

But the politically correct position is.

No, I don't think you actually understand what we mean when we say political correctness. Political correctness is avoided certain terms or actions that would insult or exclude groups. Not liking teacher's unions do not fall under this. That's a liberal position, but don't confuse liberal with politically correct.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Cumalas
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cumalas » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:15 am

A very easy way to offend someone is to say africans are inherently intellectually inferior and therefore not human, and mankind should therefore be enslaved for the benefit of and protection of the white race. Even people who oppose political correctness get angry at this statement.

I always disliked the notion quoted above, because "offended" is a particular term for something, and it has come to be a very ridiculed concept on very ignorant grounds. When someone says they are offended, they're basically saying their feelings were hurt by something you said. they feel insulted in some way. The biggest problem with people strongly opposing the idea is that people who say they are offended, are ultimately being rather mature about a topic than most people. Because when you insult someone, the usual reaction is much more negative and in some cases, it can become violent. So if you said all atheists are ignorant cretins or that they are mentally ill and should be institutionalized, the common response is outrage and abuse. The people who simply say they are offended are just controlling their emotions better.

Certain ideas insult others, and even if they are true, people who have those ideas should at least put them in a polite way. This is coming from a person with very politically incorrect ideology.
Last edited by Cumalas on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:15 am

Caninope wrote:
Murkwood wrote:But the politically correct position is.

No, I don't think you actually understand what we mean when we say political correctness. Political correctness is avoided certain terms or actions that would insult or exclude groups. Not liking teacher's unions do not fall under this. That's a liberal position, but don't confuse liberal with politically correct.

I know, that why I said I would clarify it.
Last edited by Murkwood on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:17 am

Caninope wrote:That's sort of what a duty is; there's no legal obligation do so, but there most certainly is a moral obligation to do so.

Well fuck morals.

Very edgy, love.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:19 am

Well fuck morals.

So edgy.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:19 am

Well fuck morals.

What have social constructs ever done for us, anyway?

Oh, wait, everything.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:20 am

Dakini wrote:
Well fuck morals.

So edgy.

2egde4me.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:32 am

Murkwood wrote:
Dakini wrote:So edgy.

2egde4me.

Watch out, he might cut someone with that fucking edge.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:32 am

Ifreann wrote:Political correctness needs to go further, because the tears of people crying over being called on their bullshit fuel my time machine.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:34 am

Political correctness is hypocritical bullshit.
hue

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:34 am

Ifreann wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Political correctness needs to go further, because the tears of people crying over being called on their bullshit fuel my time machine.

Can I carry your lunchbox to school forever?
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:35 am

Ifreann wrote:

And just what do you plan to do with your time machine? Hmmm?
hue

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General