NATION

PASSWORD

The Next ACA Case.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:00 pm

JesusOfNazareth wrote:Constitutional law professor Laurence Tribe has identified the next great legal challenge to ObamaCare.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/07/18/death-blow-for-obamacare/ilXv6eZOTsQoBzw0vGzq1I/story.html

Earlier this week, two different U.S. District Courts gave two different rulings on the Federal government's ability to operate healthcare insurance exchanges in states that have opted out of running an exchange under the Afordable Care Act.

You'd think that a law written on over 2000 pages would be "comprehensive" enough to figure out what's to be done in case some of the states found a way to opt out.

I realize that the ACA has a great many proponents who believe that the legislation ought not be challenged because of the good intent of the persons who voted for it, but would you rather have laws that mean what has been written or should a law be able to mean whatever the power-in-charge believes a law means?

Yeah, we know.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

JesusOfNazareth
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby JesusOfNazareth » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
JesusOfNazareth wrote:Constitutional law professor Laurence Tribe has identified the next great legal challenge to ObamaCare.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/07/18/death-blow-for-obamacare/ilXv6eZOTsQoBzw0vGzq1I/story.html

Earlier this week, two different U.S. District Courts gave two different rulings on the Federal government's ability to operate healthcare insurance exchanges in states that have opted out of running an exchange under the Afordable Care Act.

You'd think that a law written on over 2000 pages would be "comprehensive" enough to figure out what's to be done in case some of the states found a way to opt out.

I realize that the ACA has a great many proponents who believe that the legislation ought not be challenged because of the good intent of the persons who voted for it, but would you rather have laws that mean what has been written or should a law be able to mean whatever the power-in-charge believes a law means?

Yeah, we know.

Sorry.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:01 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Yeah, we know.

You are clearly a liar :P.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:31 pm

This will certainly be an interesting case since congressional Democrats screwed up their wording in Obamacare.

A taxpayer shall receive a health insurance subsidy if "the taxpayer, the taxpayer's spouse, or any dependent of the taxpayer is covered by a qualified health plan . . . that was enrolled in through an Exchange established by the State under section 1311 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act."

Section 1311 of the ACA says, "Each State shall, not later than January 1, 2014, establish an American Health Benefit Exchange (referred to in this title as an 'Exchange') for the State."

Section 1321 of the ACA says, if a State fails to create an Exchange (i.e., most states), "the Secretary shall (directly or through agreement with a not-for-profit entity) establish and operate such Exchange within the State and the Secretary shall take such actions as are necessary to implement such other requirements."

In short, is an Exchange established for a State by the Secretary of Health and Human Services under Section 1321 of Obamacare "an Exchange established by the State under section 1311" of Obamacare? I think the clear answer is "no."

As Judge Randolph says in his concurring opinion:

Justice Brandeis' opinion for the Supreme Court in Iselin v. United States is controlling: "What the government asks is not a construction of a statute, but, in effect, an enlargement of it by the court, so that what was omitted, presumably by inadvertence, may be included within its scope. To supply omissions transcends the judicial function." 270 U.S. 245, 251 (1926).

The text of the ACA is clear, but left-wing judges want to rule based on the intent of the ACA to make health coverage available at low costs to everyone even though there is a clear difference between the numbers 1311 and 1321.

:p
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Previous

Return to General