NATION

PASSWORD

Malaysian Airliner crashes in Ukraine

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Ducrotia wrote:The US would be doing more for Ukraine if it didn't mean that Russia might stop giving us oil.

We don't really get any significant amount of oil from Russia. We domestically produce the majority of our oil and our biggest trading partners are Canada and then the Middle East.

Its more giving NATO oil than giving us oil.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Registug wrote:Last I checked, Putin wasn't a Pro-Russian rebel

:roll:

Yes but he has done very little to try and stop the rebels, may have been supporting them and is certainly responsible for the Russian take over of Crimea, which helped create this whole crisis.

I think there is more to it. It seems the Russians considered the Ukraine to be too important to fall into NATO sphere of influence. They already have the Baltic States in NATO. A Ukraine NATO would seem to Russia has if they are being surrounded. So for Russia its is in there national interest to help the rebels thus maybe get a buffer zone between themselves and a NATO Ukraine.

The US has done the same. Remember, when the Soviets got involved in Cuba with those missiles. The US saw its national interests were in danger so they acted.. And Cuba did not even have a land border with the US unlike the Ukraine and Russia.
Last edited by Rio Cana on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Rio Cana wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:Yes but he has done very little to try and stop the rebels, may have been supporting them and is certainly responsible for the Russian take over of Crimea, which helped create this whole crisis.

I think there is more to it. It seems the Russians considered the Ukraine to be too important to fall into NATO sphere of influence. They already have the Baltic States in NATO. A Ukraine NATO would seem to Russia has if they are being surrounded. So for Russia its is in there national interest to help the rebels thus maybe get a buffer zone between themselves and a NATO Ukraine.

The US has done the same. Remember, when the Soviets got involved in Cuba . And Cuba did not even have a land border with the US unlike the Ukraine and Russia.

There are a couple of key differences here.

1) It is no longer the cold war.
2) Russia doesn't need a buffer zone.
3) Until this recent unpleasantness the gov't of Ukraine had no interest in joining NATO, they were more interested in joining the EU.
4) Russia has signed a treaty saying it will no violate the territorial integrity of Ukraine, which has apparently gone out the window with Crimea.
5) The Soviet Union attempted to put nuclear weapons in Cuba, which is where a lot of the tension came from.
6) The government of Cuba that the US was apposing had overthrown the previous government.
7) I would say the Bay of Pigs Invasion was wrong, 2 wrongs don't equal a right.

I'm not saying your assessment of the situation is wrong, most likely Putin is acting this way in an attempt to keep Ukraine destabilized and create a buffer zone against NATO/EU/the West. I just don't think he has the right to do that.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:03 pm

Guess who has now admitted to having Buk missiles in their possession?

And he also said the Buk system came from Luhansk under the flag of the rebels. Presumably, what we suspected about the origins of the missile may turn out to be true.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Limborg
Senator

Founded: Nov 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Limborg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:25 pm

A local villager of the crashsite told nieuwsuur (Dutch tv news) that the village was discussing the possibility of setting up some kind of memorial or monument for those that died. I hope they do it so relatives can still visit the place to remember those that where lost once peace has returned to the region.

An investigation has also started to see if Malaysian airlines had taken a proper stance on the situation regarding the flight over that region. This came after other countries changed their flightroute after warnings (UK, France, Russia ect.). They also demand that more airlines get access to such information to avoid any incidents like this one in the future.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Limborg wrote:A local villager of the crashsite told nieuwsuur (Dutch tv news) that the village was discussing the possibility of setting up some kind of memorial or monument for those that died. I hope they do it so relatives can still visit the place to remember those that where lost once peace has returned to the region.

An investigation has also started to see if Malaysian airlines had taken a proper stance on the situation regarding the flight over that region. This came after other countries changed their flightroute after warnings (UK, France, Russia ect.). They also demand that more airlines get access to such information to avoid any incidents like this one in the future.

The airplane might be blamed for not thinking ahead about flying over Ukraine but then the route had not been declared unsafe by any international aeronautics agency at the time of the flight.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Limborg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Limborg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:32 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:

The US has done the same. Remember, when the Soviets got involved in Cuba . And Cuba did not even have a land border with the US unlike the Ukraine and Russia.

3) Until this recent unpleasantness the gov't of Ukraine had no interest in joining NATO, they were more interested in joining the EU.
4) Russia has signed a treaty saying it will no violate the territorial integrity of Ukraine, which has apparently gone out the window with Crimea.
5) The Soviet Union attempted to put nuclear weapons in Cuba, which is where a lot of the tension came from.
6) The government of Cuba that the US was apposing had overthrown the previous government.
7) I would say the Bay of Pigs Invasion was wrong, 2 wrongs don't equal a right.

I'm not saying your assessment of the situation is wrong, most likely Putin is acting this way in an attempt to keep Ukraine destabilized and create a buffer zone against NATO/EU/the West. I just don't think he has the right to do that.

2) Meh, i prefer them having one, having none only leads to problems.
3) Wich they won't for the coming 30/40 years or so. The EU has a pretty long "demands" list, it can take ages for countries to join.
4) Every UN member has promised not to violate other countries integrity (UN law), yet it happens all the time.
6) Not to forget that that previous government was in fact a dictator who had come to power with the support of the US, a dictator that was way more cruel then Castro ever was.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Limborg wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

3) Wich they won't for the coming 30/40 years or so. The EU has a pretty long "demands" list, it can take ages for countries to join.
4) Every UN member has promised not to violate other countries integrity (UN law), yet it happens all the time.
6) Not to forget that that previous government was in fact a dictator who had come to power with the support of the US, a dictator that was way more cruel then Castro ever was.

2) Why do would you prefer Russia having a buffer zone?
3) Exactly, it isn't like the decedent west was moving onto Russia's doorstep.
4) When Ukraine had its nuclear weapons removed both the US and Russia signed a treaty saying they would respect and defend Ukraine's territorial integrity.
6) True, doesn't mean Castro wasn't cruel, and that he didn't agree to house nuclear weapons for the USSR.
Fact Book.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:6) The government of Cuba that the US was apposing had overthrown the previous government.

Followed by:

So the US has the right to attempt to overthrow governments that aren't friendly to it, but Russia doesn't?
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Limborg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Limborg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Limborg wrote:A local villager of the crashsite told nieuwsuur (Dutch tv news) that the village was discussing the possibility of setting up some kind of memorial or monument for those that died. I hope they do it so relatives can still visit the place to remember those that where lost once peace has returned to the region.

The airplane might be blamed for not thinking ahead about flying over Ukraine but then the route had not been declared unsafe by any international aeronautics agency at the time of the flight.

Indeed, and true. Its more to make a statement, to warn airliners that they should be more carefull next time they plan a flight over a warzone. Besides that, the relatives have the right to know if it was safe enough or not. Airliners now just say it was safe becouse (in this case) Eurocontrol said so. We both know that the relatives don't have much to go on that one, so its good that an investigation has been started to really see if it was safe or not.
Last edited by Limborg on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Limborg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Limborg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Limborg wrote:

4) When Ukraine had its nuclear weapons removed both the US and Russia signed a treaty saying they would respect and defend Ukraine's territorial integrity.
6) True, doesn't mean Castro wasn't cruel, and that he didn't agree to house nuclear weapons for the USSR.

2) Safety
3) True, but i do understand Russia's concerns about it.
4) So both Russia and the US violated that.
6) Indeed, Castro isn't/wasn't great either; I don't understand what you meant with the last part though.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:47 pm

Limborg wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

2) Safety
6) Indeed, Castro isn't/wasn't great either; I don't understand what you meant with the last part though.

2&3) Safety from what? The "west" isn't going to invade Russia, and isn't threatening Russia militarily. Economically the EU and Ukraine getting closer isn't a threat either, Russia's natural gas is a big stick and improving economics mean more trade generally which wouldn't hurt Russia. Additionally Russia does't have the right o dictate, or attempt to dictate, policy to another sovereign nation just because it wants a completely useless buffer zone.
4) The US is attempting to lay pressure on Russia for the return of Crimea and to try and end the fighting. It isn't something the US is going to go to war over but at least they are attempting to keep there end of the deal. Russia flagrantly violated it.
6) CUban Missile Crisis? Not that it is really connected to the current discussion.
Fact Book.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Limborg wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:The airplane might be blamed for not thinking ahead about flying over Ukraine but then the route had not been declared unsafe by any international aeronautics agency at the time of the flight.

Indeed, and true. Its more to make a statement, to warn airliners that they should be more carefull next time they plan a flight over a warzone. Besides that, the relatives have the right to know if it was safe enough or not. Airliners now just say it was safe becouse (in this case) Eurocontrol said so. We both know that the relatives don't have much to go on that one, so its good that an investigation has been started to really see if it was safe or not.

What exactly should they do to be "safer" over flashpoints? Airlines can't afford to not fly over certain areas, and Airline pilots aren't trained in countermeasures, going defensive, or anything of the matter. Though they could have taken a different route, it wouldn't have mattered much due to the mobile natural of the SAM battery if the rebels really wanted to shoot it down.
Last edited by Organized States on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Limborg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Limborg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:09 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Limborg wrote:
2) Safety

2&3) Safety from what? The "west" isn't going to invade Russia, and isn't threatening Russia militarily. Economically the EU and Ukraine getting closer isn't a threat either, Russia's natural gas is a big stick and improving economics mean more trade generally which wouldn't hurt Russia. Additionally Russia does't have the right o dictate, or attempt to dictate, policy to another sovereign nation just because it wants a completely useless buffer zone.
4) The US is attempting to lay pressure on Russia for the return of Crimea and to try and end the fighting. It isn't something the US is going to go to war over but at least they are attempting to keep there end of the deal. Russia flagrantly violated it.
6) CUban Missile Crisis? Not that it is really connected to the current discussion.

2&3) Yes, the west is threatening Russia in this way, and no, Ukraine wasn't a useless buffer zone. I keep it at this, if you want to discuss this more into depths i advice us do to that in another topic since this one has little to do with that issue.
4) Attempting wasn't part of the deal according to you, defending was. US failed in that since Crimea is already part of Russia and most people there are glad that they are part of Russia now. This won't change, and therefor the US violated it aswell, it didn't defended Ukraine in any way, even the "attempts" are just sad.
6) I got that, but i didn't understand what you meant by the last line you wrote earlier, anyhow, you're right, it doesn't really have to do anything with the current topic.
Last edited by Limborg on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Limborg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Limborg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:12 pm

Organized States wrote:
Limborg wrote:

What exactly should they do to be "safer" over flashpoints? Airline pilots aren't trained in countermeasures, going defensive, or anything of the matter. Though they could have taken a different route, it wouldn't have mattered much due to the mobile natural of the SAM battery if the rebels really wanted to shoot it down.

Different route, and yes, it would have mattered; they could have flown through Turkey, wich France already did from the day before the crash and the UK did at the day of the crash. They should be more carefull when they consider flying over warzones, nothing more.
Last edited by Limborg on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Limborg wrote:
Organized States wrote:What exactly should they do to be "safer" over flashpoints? Airline pilots aren't trained in countermeasures, going defensive, or anything of the matter. Though they could have taken a different route, it wouldn't have mattered much due to the mobile natural of the SAM battery if the rebels really wanted to shoot it down.

Different route, and yes, it would have mattered; they could have flown through Turkey, wich France already did from the day before the crash and the UK changed to at the day of the crash. They should be more carefull when they consider flying over warzones, nothing more.

Except that had they had gone over Turkey, it would have taken them over Syria, particularly an area known for its heavy use of Air Defense by both Government and Rebel Forces.
Last edited by Organized States on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Limborg wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

1) Yes, the west is threatening Russia in this way, and no, Ukraine wasn't a useless buffer zone. I keep it at this, if you want to discuss this more into depths i advice us do to that in another topic since this one has little to do with that issue.

2) Attempting wasn't part of the deal according to you, defending was. US failed in that since Crimea is already part of Russia and most people there are glad that they are part of Russia now. This won't change, and therefor the US violated it aswell, it didn't defended Ukraine in any way, even the "attempts" are just sad.
6) I got that, but i didn't understand what you meant by the last line you wrote earlier, anyhow, you're right, it doesn't really have to do anything with the current topic.

1) How is the west threatening Russia? They have no desire to invade, and would gain nothing from such an action. Any belief that NATO or the "west" is intent on attacking Russia is pure paranoia. The only economic sanctions that have been placed on Russia are result of its current behavior. Ukraine would be a near worthless "buffer", while it will be territory NATO would have to fight through it wouldn't make much of a difference in the long run. It simply doesn't have the economic or military power to alter any war.

2) I re-looked up the treaty. I was wrong it simply calls for Russia, the US, and the UK agreed to respect Ukraine's territory, as it existed at the time. Still doesn't absolve Russia of breaking the treaty rather blatantly.
Fact Book.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:57 pm

The Russians do not want a repeat of this.
Video clip only last a little over one minute - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPNsZFxXtxE
Last edited by Rio Cana on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Master Shake
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:05 pm

Rio Cana wrote:The Russians do not want a repeat of this.
Video clip only last a little over one minute - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPNsZFxXtxE

Awesome. I now respect our Polish allies even more!

Damn if only Hungary did that....so bad ass you are Poland! :clap:
Last edited by Master Shake on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only one Hungary. Only one Homeland!

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

I hate you all equally

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Rio Cana wrote:The Russians do not want a repeat of this.

I like how they use Napoleonic reenactors throughout the video.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:39 pm

So, does this mean that this entire event brings us a step closer to WWIII? Or just another war between Russia and Ukraine? If someone could fill me in on details following what's happened after they found out it was shot down, I'd appreciate it.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:43 pm

Torisakia wrote:So, does this mean that this entire event brings us a step closer to WWIII? Or just another war between Russia and Ukraine? If someone could fill me in on details following what's happened after they found out it was shot down, I'd appreciate it.

The west and Ukraine blame Rebels and Russia for supplying them, Russia makes a counter theory that an SU25 shot down the plane even though SU25's can't fly that high, Russia's theory is thoroughly debunked by anyone with access to the internet, Rebel leaders admit they have Buk AA systems.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Torisakia wrote:So, does this mean that this entire event brings us a step closer to WWIII? Or just another war between Russia and Ukraine? If someone could fill me in on details following what's happened after they found out it was shot down, I'd appreciate it.

Basically it was discovered it was shot down. Evidence indicates it was a ground based missile, from within territory controlled by the separatists. There are some phone calls the Ukrainian covet claims are from the rebels, where rebel leaders are talking about how they accidentally shot down a civilian air liner. Those call supposedly also include some russian officials, though what they doesn't really indicate that the officials were involved.

There has been a lot of blaming Putin, but it looks like he, and Russia in general, had little or nothing to do with the incident.
Fact Book.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:46 pm

The west and Ukraine blame Rebels and Russia for supplying them, Russia makes a counter theory that an SU25 shot down the plane even though SU25's can't fly that high, Russia's theory is thoroughly debunked by anyone with access to the internet, Rebel leaders admit they have Buk AA systems.

So it was Russia and Ukraine's fault?
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Torisakia wrote:

So it was Russia and Ukraine's fault?

Mostly it was an accident that was the rebels fault, the missile launcher itself most likely didn't even come from Russia.
Fact Book.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General