NATION

PASSWORD

A Civilized Debate on Religion 2

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe there is an afterlife?

Yes
33%
No
50%
Unsure
17%

Total votes : 132

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Ucropi wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Umm, according to some god is a group of three as well.

And to those who know anything about science god is a fairy tale.

Those who know anything about fairy tales realize that you just insulted German story makers, and an entire sapient species.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:They might take it personally, and that would mean no more threesomes. I'll stick with God. Final answer.

That would be a foursome. With guys.

Plus they seem really into S&M, based on their biography.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:54 pm

Benuty wrote:
Merizoc wrote:By "incest", I presume you mean Genocide, seeing as I didn't mention incest in my post. Anyway, remember the whole thing with the Canaanites?

Wasn't it said in the Bible that the flood enveloped the whole world? Anyway, if not, it doesn't really matter, the point still stands.

Have you seen maps of the "world" during the B.C.E era?

Cause the globe I have shows the world [from 21st century C.E] is far more bigger than that.

….Whatever. As I said, point still stands. If God exists, he's genocidal.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:54 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

That would be a foursome. With guys.

Well there is the Christian trio but if I remember correctly there is also the Hindu god.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Benuty wrote:Have you seen maps of the "world" during the B.C.E era?

Cause the globe I have shows the world [from 21st century C.E] is far more bigger than that.

….Whatever. As I said, point still stands. If God exists, he's genocidal.

I assume you mean the Israelites given they quite were genocidal both to others, and themselves. On top of it they were incredibly whiny. No wonder Moses had enough of them after 40 years of dealing with their crap.
Last edited by Benuty on Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:59 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:That would be a foursome. With guys.

Well there is the Christian trio but if I remember correctly there is also the Hindu god.

I simply refuse to engage in sexual intercourse with someone called "the destroyer" and sleeping with "the creator" creates paternity suits.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:00 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

I simply refuse to engage in sexual intercourse with someone called "the destroyer" and sleeping with "the creator" creates paternity suits.

Wouldn't that be incest then?

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Benuty wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:I simply refuse to engage in sexual intercourse with someone called "the destroyer" and sleeping with "the creator" creates paternity suits.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

But I'm a monkey, so no. It's bestiality.

Ucropi
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Benuty wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:I simply refuse to engage in sexual intercourse with someone called "the destroyer" and sleeping with "the creator" creates paternity suits.

Didn't Adam and Eve only have two sons? How did the entire human race come to?
Go home America, my country already has freedom
Things I Like:
Communism, Equality, Science, Art

Things I Hate:
Capitalism, America, Religion

Jerusalem and Damascus
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jerusalem and Damascus » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Ucropi wrote:
Benuty wrote:Wouldn't that be incest then?

God actually makes more people afterward.
Roman Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist ala the Duma, Political Pluralist, Laissez-Faire Capitalist, Civil Libertarian (Don't have a link for this one -- just let people do as they do, so to speak)
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00

NUMBER ONE ON KARINZISTAN'S NATION STATES LIST. HELLS YEAH.
Official recipient of Cu Math's "Let's Be Civil" Potato
How physicists I've met seem to function.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:33 pm

Jerusalem and Damascus wrote:
Ucropi wrote:Didn't Adam and Eve only have two sons? How did the entire human race come to?

Yeah. The incest comes latter when everyone but Noah's family dies.

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:33 pm

Ucropi wrote:Didn't Adam and Eve only have two sons? How did the entire human race come to?

Out of dirt just like Adam? or does Adam lose a few more ribs to make the women?
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:35 pm

Ucropi wrote:

Three actually given that Cain murdered Abel. The obvious point being that humanities rise included much much more than just those people. The very fact that Cain found a wife without it being his sister kind of goes without saying.
Last edited by Benuty on Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerusalem and Damascus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jerusalem and Damascus » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:35 pm

Ucropi wrote:

Out of dirt just like Adam? or does Adam lose a few more ribs to make the women?

I don't think they actually explain how He makes more, it's just said He does. I would presume He did it in the same fashion as Adam and Eve - one male, take the rib, one more female. I wouldn't know, though.
Roman Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist ala the Duma, Political Pluralist, Laissez-Faire Capitalist, Civil Libertarian (Don't have a link for this one -- just let people do as they do, so to speak)

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:43 pm

As for the rib bone, the symbolism behind it is frankly amazing. Rather than the foot [being under Adam] or the head {over Adam] the Rib bone was chosen. Side by side the couple stood on footing equal neither under or over each other.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:45 pm

Benuty wrote:As for the rib bone, the symbolism behind it is frankly amazing. Rather than the foot [being under Adam] or the head {over Adam] the Rib bone was chosen. Side by side the couple stood on footing equal neither under or over each other.

Yeah. Modern Evangelism sure is good at anachronistically reading meanings into things.

Ucropi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ucropi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Benuty wrote:As for the rib bone, the symbolism behind it is frankly amazing. Rather than the foot [being under Adam] or the head {over Adam] the Rib bone was chosen. Side by side the couple stood on footing equal neither under or over each other.

Yeah, the fact that women were created from a tiny insignificant piece of men has no symbolism either.
Things I Like:

Things I Hate:

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:

Yeah. Modern Evangelism sure is good at anachronistically reading meanings into things.

Understandable, given the amazing abilities they have when it comes to Hebrew :P.

Jerusalem and Damascus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jerusalem and Damascus » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:48 pm

Curiously, it might actually be euphemistic - it's entirely likely that the rib they were referring to is the "missing" penile bone that humans lack.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:52 pm

Ucropi wrote:

Yeah, the fact that women were created from a tiny insignificant piece of men has no symbolism either.

Gong farming really isn't your type of career Ucropi.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:21 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
Indeed. If you know we can't prevent those things, then why blame God for them?

Because he created them?

How does God create cancer? Tornadoes? Or any of the other jazz skeptics so often lay at His feet while denying His existence? I thought all that was scientifically explainable?

What if... and just bare with me here... what if science says nothing about the existence of God but, rather, says so much more about the existence of Man and Man's ignorance? What if science explains away all the wonderful things that our less knowledgable ancestors attributed to the divine? In what way does that undermine the existence of God? How does knowing more about the world and how it works invalidate God? I think it rather shows how little our ancestors understood.

God didn't create cancer. We all know that. Cells mutate. Shit happens. We can do things that make that shit worse. And we can do the opposite. But at no point does God merit the blame for shit He didn't do.

It's a really silly argument for the skeptic to make.

"Shit happens so God is an asshole!"

Pfft.
Last edited by Distruzio on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:21 pm

Ucropi wrote:

Evolution. Obviously.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:24 pm

Czechanada wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
I don't know that you should believe. Hell, despite being religious, I don't know that I believe in an afterlife. It wavers. For myself, I really don't care. I'm not religious because I hope to live forever. I only care about right now. Right now, Christianity helps me to be a better man than I was. That's enough for me.

<<shrug>>

Maybe I'm not ambitious enough to be the appropriate target of agnostic or atheist commentary on religion?

Is being averse to Protestants a part of that better man?

Averse? I've said before that it's isn't aversion I espouse. It's bigotry. As in, distinctness and exclusion. Not disdain. My perspective on Protestantism is, at the core, a disappointment in Protestants who think so little of Protestant theology where I think so highly of their theological perspective. It is so unique and so alien to Christian theological perspective that it merits its own distinct relationship with Christianity as separate from Christianity.

That isn't aversion. It's quite the opposite.

So, yes. Where before Christianity I loathed God and any who worshipped him, now I see it in a more proper light. So, I rather assume that has made me a better man. Especially regarding Protestants.
Last edited by Distruzio on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:52 am

Distruzio wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:Because he created them?

How does God create cancer? Tornadoes? Or any of the other jazz skeptics so often lay at His feet while denying His existence? I thought all that was scientifically explainable?

What if... and just bare with me here... what if science says nothing about the existence of God but, rather, says so much more about the existence of Man and Man's ignorance? What if science explains away all the wonderful things that our less knowledgable ancestors attributed to the divine? In what way does that undermine the existence of God? How does knowing more about the world and how it works invalidate God? I think it rather shows how little our ancestors understood.

God didn't create cancer. We all know that. Cells mutate. Shit happens. We can do things that make that shit worse. And we can do the opposite. But at no point does God merit the blame for shit He didn't do.

It's a really silly argument for the skeptic to make.

"Shit happens so God is an asshole!"

Pfft.

It is indisputable that an omniscient and omnipotent creator is responsible for all that their creation entails. If he didn't want there to be cancer, he could have arranged reality such that there is not. Clearly he did not.

Now, of course, I don't blame god for any of this. I don't think he did it either. But this is the conclusion that any honest reading of Christian theology produces.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:57 am

"Does this unit have a soul?"
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General