NATION

PASSWORD

Do you support Turkey joining the EU?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Turkey join the EU?

Yes, but only if they make significant progress in the things listed in the post/other things
43%
Yes, immediately
14%
No, they should have closer relations but not full EU membership
16%
No, never
26%

Total votes : 173

Gezi Park
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gezi Park » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Calimera II wrote:
Space Dandy wrote:I thought Turkey was Secular, correct me if I'm wrong? :unsure:

Say that to Erdoğan..

Sure;

http://www.egyptindependent.com//news/e ... ular-egypt
19-year old agnostic university student living in Izmir, Turkey. I consider myself a centre-left Kemalist, social liberal and civic nationalist/patriotic. I like drinking beer (Beck's, Carlsberg, Efes Pilsen), watching Anime and soccer (Fenerbahce fan here). I'm now a proud member of the newly founded Anatolia Party.

PRO: Enviromentalism, State feminism, Anti-clericalism, Individualism, EU (including Turkey), PES, LGBT rights, abortion, Legalize It movement, Laïcité, Westernization, Gezi youth, Tamarod, Greek-Turkish sisterhood, Ataturk's ideals

ANTI: Religious conservatism, Ethnic nationalism, Islamism, Religious zionism, Neo-Ottomanism, Imperialism, Irredentism, Prejudices, Stereotypes, Turcophobia, PKK, Free Syrian Army, Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood, Qatar

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Gezi Park wrote:
Calimera II wrote:
For me it's still too poor to enter

What are your standards, exactly?

Indeed. Countries like Bulgaria are poorer than Turkey.

Regardless, I don't support Turkey joining at the moment, given the corruption and lack of respect for democracy that the administration has. I really want Turkey to join someday, but given the current state of the nation, I don't support Turkey joining at the moment.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:07 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
Gezi Park wrote:

Regardless, I don't support Turkey joining at the moment, given the corruption and lack of respect for democracy that the administration has. I really want Turkey to join someday, but given the current state of the nation, I don't support Turkey joining at the moment.

Wouldn't joining the EU help reduce said corruption and anti-democracy?
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:09 pm

Pandeeria wrote:

Wouldn't joining the EU help reduce said corruption and anti-democracy?

It could, but the EU is committed to democracy and transparency, so if Turkey wants to join, they should be committed to the same ideals.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Gezi Park
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gezi Park » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:37 pm

Pandeeria wrote:Wouldn't joining the EU help reduce said corruption and anti-democracy?

It could, but the EU is committed to democracy and transparency, so if Turkey wants to join, they should be committed to the same ideals.

I agree with you. Erdogan will eventually be gone. Every country can go through such periods. Look at Hungary.
19-year old agnostic university student living in Izmir, Turkey. I consider myself a centre-left Kemalist, social liberal and civic nationalist/patriotic. I like drinking beer (Beck's, Carlsberg, Efes Pilsen), watching Anime and soccer (Fenerbahce fan here). I'm now a proud member of the newly founded Anatolia Party.

PRO: Enviromentalism, State feminism, Anti-clericalism, Individualism, EU (including Turkey), PES, LGBT rights, abortion, Legalize It movement, Laïcité, Westernization, Gezi youth, Tamarod, Greek-Turkish sisterhood, Ataturk's ideals

ANTI: Religious conservatism, Ethnic nationalism, Islamism, Religious zionism, Neo-Ottomanism, Imperialism, Irredentism, Prejudices, Stereotypes, Turcophobia, PKK, Free Syrian Army, Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood, Qatar

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:07 pm

Gezi Park wrote:

Was I in favour of Bulgaria joining the Eurozone that early?

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:09 pm

Pandeeria wrote:Wouldn't joining the EU help reduce said corruption and anti-democracy?

Turkey should never ever enter the eurozone, because Turkey has very other values than the European countries have. Furthermore, they should get rid of Erdoğan before anything happens and deradicalize the poor country side population.

Greater Israelia
Envoy

Founded: Jul 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Israelia » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Absolutely not. The whole European Union ought to be dissolved.
Standing on the truth of God's word and the gospel.
The United States is a Christian state.
Hayashi wrote:I want to see a candidate that will stand up and declare "I believe in the power of The Lord, Jesus Christ.
Romans 10:9 - If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Cyrisnia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Greater Israelia wrote:Absolutely not. The whole European Union ought to be dissolved.

Why? A united Europe is great.
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man
410,757,864,530 DEAD REBS

Gezi Park
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gezi Park » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Calimera II wrote:Turkey should never ever enter the eurozone, because Turkey has very other values than the European countries have.

Define European values. How much does Greece have in common with say, Ireland? it's closer to Turkey culturally.
Last edited by Gezi Park on Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:59 pm

I think it definitely has the right idea of human rights, but there is still much work to be done. I'd say gradual entry.
Born again free market capitalist.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:11 am

With that bumbling fool Edorgan at the spearhead and a populace that seems content in voting him in several times? Yeah, no.

Leaning on never.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Jerusalem and Damascus
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jerusalem and Damascus » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:14 am

I'm not entirely certain how I feel about the European Union as an institution, but I do feel that Turkey has a long enough history within Europe that it qualifies on that basis, if only to spit in Sarkozy's eye.
Roman Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist ala the Duma, Political Pluralist, Laissez-Faire Capitalist, Civil Libertarian (Don't have a link for this one -- just let people do as they do, so to speak)
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00

NUMBER ONE ON KARINZISTAN'S NATION STATES LIST. HELLS YEAH.
Official recipient of Cu Math's "Let's Be Civil" Potato
How physicists I've met seem to function.

Kubrath
Minister

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kubrath » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:21 am

Atlanticatia wrote:
Libertarian California wrote:The EU should kick some nations out rather than trying to add more.

I support most EU members, however I'm not 100% sure if Romania and Bulgaria were ready for membership.

I'm a Bulgarian and I agree completely.
Kubrath Embassy Program
If your commanders are surprised every time they lose a squad, they probably die several minutes into a campaign due to being critically over-gasped.

North Valinka: What kind of an oxymoron is "Libertarian Police State"?
Petroviya: It arrests law makers.

Phocidaea wrote:Maybe democracy isn't the way?

Of course democracy is the way, dammit! There is no such thing as too much democracy!

Fuckin' dictatorships.

Sociobiology wrote:This is the problem with trying to understand the universe with a brain evolved to find ripe fruit and scream defiance at the ape in the next tree.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General