NATION

PASSWORD

The Confederate battle flag

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What does the Confederate battle flag mean to you?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:59 am

Racisism
22%
Southern Heritage
17%
Southern Pride
17%
Remembrance
9%
HERITAGE NOT HATE
10%
Slavery
20%
Saint Andrew's cross
5%

Total votes : 1726

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:04 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:
:blink:

What kind of "honorable Southron gentleman" challenges a woman to a duel? I know it can be hard to tell one gender from the other when nobody's wearing hoop skirts, but come on dude...

GREN HAS UNKNOWINGLY CHALLENGED A WOMAN TO THE FIELD OF HONOR?!
*faints dead away again*

It's okay, Yankee women don't consent to duels. They make you think they will, then they burn your crops, free your slaves, and pile on you in large numbers in the confusion. We taught 'em well.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:04 am

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God wrote:
Christiaanistan wrote:Hoorah. The one who changed us was a nice reverend...a "tribal elder"...who put his family first. Southerners are easy to deal with if you make up your mind to try to speak their language. I wish that more liberals would. We would be happier, and we would be more what we want to be.

Uh.............as a southern liberal, I can't fathom how to respond to this. A simple :rofl: emoticon is too childish, so that's right out. A few complex and thought out paragraphs would likely not be in "our language", whatever the hell that is, so I'll settle for: I can't honestly understand how someone thinks the way you do. It is, shockingly, possible to be liberal and Southern at the same time! And look, I don't even have to babble about how apparently a law (or lawlike thing, whatever) freeing the slaves did nothing to make black people's lives better!

Southern Liberals, unite!
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:09 am

TheConfederate States of America wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
You're proud of your ancestors hunting the one animal that couldn't fight back or run?

Correction: they fished for them.

And that shit is hard fucking work!! :eek:

I'm proud of the fact there isn't any slave owners in my family tree....Well as far as I know....I haven't researched my mother's side yet.

You do not realize how much this explains your bullshit position, do you?

I think I can now safely assume that the only reason you keep pulling the "it was states' rights!" bullshit, even after having been demonstrably proven wrong using facts, logic, and reason, is because you're proud of being a Southerner, and cannot stand to bear to think that any of your ancestors were involved or supportive of atrocities against human rights.

Take a cue from the German people, like us good, honorable, and intellectually honest Southerners have, why don't you? It'll save us all future headaches.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:11 am

Dracoria wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:GREN HAS UNKNOWINGLY CHALLENGED A WOMAN TO THE FIELD OF HONOR?!
*faints dead away again*

It's okay, Yankee women don't consent to duels. They make you think they will, then they burn your crops, free your slaves, and pile on you in large numbers in the confusion. We taught 'em well.

Burn crops? Freeing slaves?! DOG-PILING?!
Honestly, my good Dracoria, it's as though you're trying to disturb this delicate belle's constitution!
JULEPS!
I NEED JULEPS!
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:17 am

Christiaanistan wrote:1. Furthermore, my "babbling" has more intellectual grit behind it than most people can muster within a decade if they tried.

2. As far as how many shits I give about the topic of slavery, to quote George Moore, "Man would not be man but for injustice. Hail, therefore, to the thrice glorious virtue, injustice." Attempts by Mankind to pretend, in hypocrisy, that his nature has changed will come and go, and they will remain as empty, crass and meaningless as ever.

1. An objective examination of your babbling reveals that statement to be an utter falsehood.

2. I have no clue who the fuck this "George Moore" person is or why his statements matter, but I think I can safely assume he's a dumbass. And you must've had a pretty bleak life to agree with anything he says.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:19 am

Spirit of Hope wrote:Yes I read that. They were "hardly ever" whipped. They were still whipped. They were never paid, they were forced to get up at 4 in the mourning, they were forced to attend church. I mean that one article about a "nice" master still shows how bad it was to be a slave, and how mistreated they were.

There's a reason they got up at 4 AM just ask anyone that works on a farm.
And is going to church really that bad?

Being forced to go is.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:19 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

Honestly, my good Dracoria, it's as though you're trying to disturb this delicate belle's constitution!
JULEPS!
I NEED JULEPS!

Well, not every place can have women as delicate and ladylike as the South. Some places women have jobs. That's what happens when people don't have slaves to do all their work.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:25 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:Burn crops? Freeing slaves?! DOG-PILING?!
JULEPS!
I NEED JULEPS!

Well, not every place can have women as delicate and ladylike as the South. Some places women have jobs. That's what happens when people don't have slaves to do all their work.

I'm sure delicate ladies lounging about a plantation are nice, but
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:47 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
How bad and what for?

As long as I get paid with a place to stay, get new clothes every month and and get three meals a day and I'm treated well with all my chores and i'm cared for while i'm sick or hurt I wouldn't mind it at all.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking hell.

You know, if it weren't child abuse, I'd actually consider opening up some sort of year-round camp for parents to send their kids to, so they could experience life as a slave during the early-mid 1800s for a few weeks. Would sure as fuck rid us of bullshit like this.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:52 am

Dracoria wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

They're also quite effective at beating Nazis... :(
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:53 am

Grenartia wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking hell.

You know, if it weren't child abuse, I'd actually consider opening up some sort of year-round camp for parents to send their kids to, so they could experience life as a slave during the early-mid 1800s for a few weeks. Would sure as fuck rid us of bullshit like this.

You could probably get away with doing the hard work part without the beatings.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:58 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
How bad and what for?

As long as I get paid with a place to stay, get new clothes every month and and get three meals a day and I'm treated well with all my chores and i'm cared for while i'm sick or hurt I wouldn't mind it at all.

This is explains a lot about why you don't understand why the Confederate flag has a bad reputation.

Other people do not feel the same way you do about being somebody's slave.

Is it wrong that I cannot stop thinking of this in a BDSM context?

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:01 am

Grenartia wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking hell.

You could call it Plantatia. And while I'm sure a camp movie based in it would make for some guilty laughs, the camp itself would be a great way to unite pretty much everyone against it. Family groups, civil rights groups, hell, I'm even sure the Confederate apologists would be against it because the kids wouldn't be doing enough singalongs and dances for their liking.
Also, chocobos.

Francena
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Good

Postby Francena » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:02 am

I agree with you!

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:03 am

Dracoria wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

You could call it Plantatia. And while I'm sure a camp movie based in it would make for some guilty laughs, the camp itself would be a great way to unite pretty much everyone against it. Family groups, civil rights groups, hell, I'm even sure the Confederate apologists would be against it because the kids wouldn't be doing enough singalongs and dances for their liking.

This was literally the exact plot of an extraordinarily shitty episode (IE a post-MacGruder episode) of The Boondocks.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:04 am

Dracoria wrote:
I can't see what you posted but I'll make a assumption.

They should be burned.

Am I right?

Why don't you actually try that.

You would be burning St. Andrew's Cross.

There's no way to be sure. Could be someone getting intimate with the flag, too, if you catch my drift.

I'd be using it as reusable toilet paper. Gotta be environmentally smart nowadays, you know?

Such a shame it has to be that flag, though. Why do all the cool looking flags (except the American flag, and the British flag) have to represent such shitty ideologies and actions?

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:10 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
I say, I say, how dare you suggest the Confederacy was anything more than a bunch of honorable Southron gentlemen, my good Suh! Especially the insinuation that the good Southron nation would've done anything worse than them damn Yankees! I do declare this to be a grievous insult to my personal heritage! And for that, I challenge you to a duel! *slaps with glove*

*gasp*
I do declare, sirs, the prospect of such bloody yet honorable combat gives me the vapors!
*faints dead away right onto purpose-built fainting couch*

I do apologize if I have offended your sensibilities, Suh.

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
I say, I say, how dare you suggest the Confederacy was anything more than a bunch of honorable Southron gentlemen, my good Suh! Especially the insinuation that the good Southron nation would've done anything worse than them damn Yankees! I do declare this to be a grievous insult to my personal heritage! And for that, I challenge you to a duel! *slaps with glove*

What kind of "honorable Southron gentleman" challenges a woman to a duel? I know it can be hard to tell one gender from the other when nobody's wearing hoop skirts, but come on dude...

Oh, dear, madam, I do apologize. However, I MUST get recompense for your insult against my honor! Send out your husband, so we can settle this amongst ourselves.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:18 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

GREN HAS UNKNOWINGLY CHALLENGED A WOMAN TO THE FIELD OF HONOR?!
*faints dead away again*

Are you sure you're alright, Suh? You're calling me odd names, and fainting a lot. I'll have some of my help come and deliver you some iced tea and a chicken leg and a biscuit. Rest assured, it'll cure what ails ya.

I'm kinda doing a character here, Tigger.

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

JULEPS!
I NEED JULEPS!

I apologize, my help has informed me that we're fresh out of Juleps.

Dracoria wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

My dear Jesus in heaven! My sweet little daughter Annabelle saw that gastly apparition and nearly caught the lesbian from it!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:24 am

And on that note, goodnight, folks!

Everyone's made their points more than once, everyone's had a chance for rebuttal and discussion. The horse is dead, the ship has sailed ...

Another thread on this subject before a decent interval of at least two weeks will be locked on sight. Those wishing to talk about this subject can read the posts in the 267 pages of this thread out loud to themselves.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General