NATION

PASSWORD

The Confederate battle flag

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What does the Confederate battle flag mean to you?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:59 am

Racisism
22%
Southern Heritage
17%
Southern Pride
17%
Remembrance
9%
HERITAGE NOT HATE
10%
Slavery
20%
Saint Andrew's cross
5%

Total votes : 1726

TheConfederate States of America
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby TheConfederate States of America » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Who is saying that one religion is better than another?

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:28 pm

TheConfederate States of America wrote:Who is saying that one religion is better than another?

You, by saying that it is ok for one person to force another person to attend the religious ceremonies of the first persons choosing.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:29 pm

TheConfederate States of America wrote:Who is saying that one religion is better than another?

Let me ask you this. If a person dragooned your ass out of bed every Saturday at dawn to make you recite a prayer to the Amitabha Buddha, would you feel comfortable with that?

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Floating Island of the Sleeping God » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:31 pm

Aurinsula wrote:

Let me ask you this. If a person dragooned your ass out of bed every Saturday at dawn to make you recite a prayer to the Amitabha Buddha, would you feel comfortable with that?

Also, that person owns you and beats you and forces you to work for them for your entire life. But the religion thing, that's a feature too.
"When Fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and bearing the cross."
-Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here
The Blaatschapen wrote:Just to note, liberals are not sheep. Sheep are liberals ;)

Catholic Priest of Lithianity

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby TheConfederate States of America » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:40 pm

Aurinsula wrote:

Hey i'm open to cultural diversity. :roll:

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Floating Island of the Sleeping God » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:43 pm

TheConfederate States of America wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:Let me ask you this. If a person dragooned your ass out of bed every Saturday at dawn to make you recite a prayer to the Amitabha Buddha, would you feel comfortable with that?

Hey i'm open to cultural diversity. :roll:

*whoosh*
"When Fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and bearing the cross."
The Blaatschapen wrote:Just to note, liberals are not sheep. Sheep are liberals ;)

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby TheConfederate States of America » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:47 pm

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:Let me ask you this. If a person dragooned your ass out of bed every Saturday at dawn to make you recite a prayer to the Amitabha Buddha, would you feel comfortable with that?

Also, that person owns you and beats you and forces you to work for them for your entire life. But the religion thing, that's a feature too.

How bad and what for?

As long as I get paid with a place to stay, get new clothes every month and and get three meals a day and I'm treated well with all my chores and i'm cared for while i'm sick or hurt I wouldn't mind it at all.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:48 pm

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God wrote:Also, that person owns you and beats you and forces you to work for them for your entire life. But the religion thing, that's a feature too.

How bad and what for?

As long as I get paid with a place to stay, get new clothes every month and and get three meals a day and I'm treated well with all my chores and i'm cared for while i'm sick or hurt I wouldn't mind it at all.

:rofl:
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:50 pm

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God wrote:Also, that person owns you and beats you and forces you to work for them for your entire life. But the religion thing, that's a feature too.

How bad and what for?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking hell.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Our Governator
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Governator » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:52 pm

I've always lived in the far north. But let me tell you, the racist hicks at my high school used to fly one from the top of their trucks. It's not their heritage. They just didn't like black people.
"Small L" libertarian, "big R" Republican.
"I'm not a Conservative... as I understand the English language, a conservative wants to conserve, to make things the same, to keep them as they are. Conservatives want bigger government. The true conservatives today, who call themselves "liberals", these New Dealers, want to keep things the same: they want to keep going on the same path, towards bigger and bigger government. I would like to dismantle that. I call myself a Liberal, in the true sense of Liberal, in the sense that means and pertains to freedom."
- Milton Friedman

The Liberal Conservative Party
The Heart of a Liberal,
The Brain of a Conservative

United States of The One Percent
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of The One Percent » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:52 pm

How bad and what for?

Someone needs to go see "12 Years a Slave." Or read a fucking book.
''There is one intelligence community and one only. And we are all its victims, wherever we live."

"...taking but not giving, ruling but not obeying, telling but not listening, taking life and not giving it. The slayers govern now, without interference; the dreams of mankind have become empty." -- Philip K. Dick

Our Governator
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Governator » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:52 pm

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
How bad and what for?

Was that a joke? Please tell me that was a joke
"I'm not a Conservative... as I understand the English language, a conservative wants to conserve, to make things the same, to keep them as they are. Conservatives want bigger government. The true conservatives today, who call themselves "liberals", these New Dealers, want to keep things the same: they want to keep going on the same path, towards bigger and bigger government. I would like to dismantle that. I call myself a Liberal, in the true sense of Liberal, in the sense that means and pertains to freedom."
- Milton Friedman

The Heart of a Liberal,

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Floating Island of the Sleeping God » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:52 pm

How bad and what for?

I fucking can't. I swear to god, I just fucking can't right now. I just---I just---! DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT A SLAVE IS? HONEST FUCKING QUESTION, DO YOU?

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:52 pm

How bad and what for?

New clothes once a month? You would be lucky if you got new clothes once a year as a slave in the South.

Right ok, you also can't leave or get married and the person owning you can at any time sell you to anyone else.

Once again let us not forget that if for any reason you displease him he has the right to have you whipped.

Though I should say at this point I am not sure how serious you are.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Our Governator wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking hell.

Was that a joke? Please tell me that was a joke

At this point you'd hope it is, just so it is not as sad.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Our Governator
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Governator » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:54 pm

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God wrote:
How bad and what for?

I fucking can't. I swear to god, I just fucking can't right now. I just---I just---! DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT A SLAVE IS? HONEST FUCKING QUESTION, DO YOU?

Clearly this person romanticized slavery. He needs to go outside. Let him go. Pray for him.
- Milton Friedman

The Heart of a Liberal,

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby TheConfederate States of America » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm starting to wonder why you folks keep posting here.
I mean why is it you insist on arguing?

And why is it that when shown the other side of the story it is "revisionist?"

Isn't that what being biased is?

You guys should really try to consider the other side of the story two.

Do you think that St. Andrew's Cross should be banned from flying?

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:57 pm

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
How bad and what for?

But they sang in the fields so they must have been happy.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Our Governator
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Governator » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:58 pm

TheConfederate States of America wrote:I'm starting to wonder why you folks keep posting here.

I don't think it should be banned, but I don't think the swastika should be banned either. Or the Canadian flag. Stupid leaves.
- Milton Friedman

The Heart of a Liberal,

Our Governator
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Governator » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:58 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking hell.

But they sang in the fields so they must have been happy.

like Kurt Cobain in a way
- Milton Friedman

The Heart of a Liberal,

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:00 pm

TheConfederate States of America wrote:I'm starting to wonder why you folks keep posting here.

The St. Andrew's cross shouldn't be really banned from flying, in private property.

In public property that's a whole other issue.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby TheConfederate States of America » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:04 pm

Our Governator wrote:I've always lived in the far north. But let me tell you, the racist hicks at my high school used to fly one from the top of their trucks. It's not their heritage. They just didn't like black people.

How do you know they where racist?
Because they had confederate battle flags?

If not then they are dumbasses and they make the rest of the south look bad.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby TheConfederate States of America » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:11 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:

The St. Andrew's cross shouldn't be really banned from flying, in private property.

In public property that's a whole other issue.

Ok what about at a confederate monument or in Washinton and Lee university's Lee chapel where Robert E Lee is buried?

Our Governator
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Governator » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:12 pm

Our Governator wrote:I've always lived in the far north. But let me tell you, the racist hicks at my high school used to fly one from the top of their trucks. It's not their heritage. They just didn't like black people.

How do you know they where racist?
Because they had confederate battle flags?

If not then they are dumbasses and they make the rest of the south look bad.

Hint: they called black people the N-word
- Milton Friedman

The Heart of a Liberal,

United States of The One Percent
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of The One Percent » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:20 pm

TheConfederate States of America wrote:Ok what about at a confederate monument or in Washinton and Lee university's Lee chapel where Robert E Lee is buried?

Now that would be a decision for Washington and Lee University, wouldn't it? And they just made one if I'm not mistaken:

1. The question about the regimental battle flags in Lee Chapel requires us to clarify the purpose, meaning and history of the flags, as well as the purpose and meaning of the chapel and the museum below the chapel. In 1930, several original and historic battle flags - "colors" that had been captured or surrendered to the Union army - were placed near the statue of Lee. The University did not own them. They were the property of the Museum of the Confederacy, now part of the American Civil War Museum, which asked us to return them in the 1990s because the manner of display in the chapel was causing their deterioration. They were replaced with reproductions, which are not historic and are not genuine artifacts.

The purpose of historic flags in a university setting is to educate. They are not to be displayed for decoration, which would diminish their significance, or for glorification, or to make a statement about past conflicts. The reproductions are not genuinely historic; nor are they displayed with any information or background about what they are. The absence of such explanation allows those who either "oppose" or "support" them to assert their own subjective and frequently incorrect interpretations.

Consequently, we will remove these reproductions from their current location and will enter into an agreement with the American Civil War Museum, in Richmond, to receive on loan one or more of the original flags, now restored, for display on a rotating basis in the Lee Chapel Museum, the appropriate location for such a display. In this way, those who wish to view these artifacts may do so, and the stories behind them can be properly told. You may view a history of the flags in the chapel at http://go.wlu.edu/chapel-flags-history.

http://www.wlu.edu/presidents-office/messages-to-the-community/president-ruscios-july-8-2014-message
''There is one intelligence community and one only. And we are all its victims, wherever we live."

"...taking but not giving, ruling but not obeying, telling but not listening, taking life and not giving it. The slayers govern now, without interference; the dreams of mankind have become empty." -- Philip K. Dick

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General