NATION

PASSWORD

The Confederate battle flag

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What does the Confederate battle flag mean to you?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:59 am

Racisism
22%
Southern Heritage
17%
Southern Pride
17%
Remembrance
9%
HERITAGE NOT HATE
10%
Slavery
20%
Saint Andrew's cross
5%

Total votes : 1726

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:35 am

United States Kingdom wrote:
Dracoria wrote:
There's a subtle difference between looking down at someone, and putting that person in chains.

I was agreeing with him and adding some facts about Abraham Lincoln. Am I not allowed to do that?

Yes, and Dracoria is allowed to respond to whatever you say. It's how discussion forums work.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:36 am

Dracoria wrote:
TheConfederate States of America wrote:
Actually most union soldiers didn't care about freeing the slaves at all.

Quite a few did. There was this one professor who cared about freeing the enslaved, and combined with his preference for the Union to stay unified, this led him to leave his cushy teaching job to work in the field. You may have heard of him.

He had an amazing mind. How many people can teach three or four philosophy styles?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

United States Kingdom
Minister

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:36 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

I was agreeing with him and adding some facts about Abraham Lincoln. Am I not allowed to do that?

Yes, and Dracoria is allowed to respond to whatever you say. It's how discussion forums work.

I am fully aware of that.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:37 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:
It's not entirely unfounded. It's just confined to sports fans celebrating when their team wins a major victory.

The rest of the time, there is still the excessive cussing and the bad driving, but no puking in the streets and yelling at strangers.

There's not even a neighborhood or two where that's a regular thing? I mean, out here you can go to Venice Beach and be assured of seeing at least three people vomit.

Allston is like that, but no more so than what you'll find in other cities if you go to the part of the city where the bars are.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

TheConfederate States of America
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby TheConfederate States of America » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:42 am

Norstal wrote:

Thats true and I don't see why Abraham Lincoln is such a 'noble person' when he was a white supremacist himself and he stated that white people are superior to us.

...Where did he say that?

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything."

-Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois, September 18, 1858 (The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume III, pp. 145-146.)

Not only was Lincoln a racist, he allowed the Confederacy to keep slavery:

"No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give Congress the power to abolish or interfere within any state with the domestic institutions thereof, including that a person's held to labor or service by laws of said State."

-Abraham Lincoln-March of 1861

and

"The War is waged by the government of the United States not in the spirit of conquest or subjugation, nor for the purpose of overthrowing or interfering with the rights or institutions of the states, but to defend and protect the Union."

-This resolution was passed unanimously by Congress on July 23, 1861.

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:43 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Dracoria wrote:
Quite a few did. There was this one professor who cared about freeing the enslaved, and combined with his preference for the Union to stay unified, this led him to leave his cushy teaching job to work in the field. You may have heard of him.

He had an amazing mind. How many people can teach three or four philosophy styles?

He was an amazing mind and an amazing body. Seriously, his last wound during the war had people thinking he was dead. Had to be catheterized because the shot wrecked his groin after a rather badass moment of staying upright through will alone, went back to command as soon as he could and then took another miracle shot that, to all appearances, looked to go right through his chest - and kept giving orders. After all that pain, he still showed respect to those on the other side. Then he went on to be elected as governor, catheter and all, refused to give in to bribes and left politics. Amazing man, even if one doesn't believe he initiated the charge on July 2nd.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:44 am

Norstal wrote:

Thats true and I don't see why Abraham Lincoln is such a 'noble person' when he was a white supremacist himself and he stated that white people are superior to us.

...Where did he say that?

If you mean't when did Lincoln state that, look at the post above mine.

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:45 am

Norstal wrote:...Where did he say that?

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything."

-Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois, September 18, 1858 (The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume III, pp. 145-146.)

"No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give Congress the power to abolish or interfere within any state with the domestic institutions thereof, including that a person's held to labor or service by laws of said State."

and

"The War is waged by the government of the United States not in the spirit of conquest or subjugation, nor for the purpose of overthrowing or interfering with the rights or institutions of the states, but to defend and protect the Union."

He was willing to put up with slavery if it kept the union together a little longer. Probably figured the practice would die on its own as the agricultural economy withered. Then the secessionists struck and, not having to keep them happy, it was time to cut the chains.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:46 am

Dracoria wrote:

and

He was willing to put up with slavery if it kept the union together a little longer. Probably figured the practice would die on its own as the agricultural economy withered. Then the secessionists struck and, not having to keep them happy, it was time to cut the chains.

Yet he Married Mary Todd who's family supported slavery.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:47 am

Dracoria wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:
The "I'm honoring my ancestors" argument would hold more water if people used a regimental flag from a regiment their ancestors served in.

Or one that their town or city contributed a company to, at least. Plus, many of those flags had nice, individual touches to them. I guess the downside is that most would be more difficult to paint on your truck than stars and crosses, as some had trees, human figures, or animals thrown in.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find a good picture online of the Delaware regiments, though the most prominent, the 1st Delaware Infantry, had a rather typical one with two human figures, crest, and banners. But it looks like the 1st Delaware Infantry captured two Confederate battle flags at Gettysburg, probably on July 3rd. Went through 4 regimental commanders at Gettysburg, too, so I suppose overall it's worth being proud of. Granted I was born in California (I got better) and I'm not even sure where my ancestors fought during the war (can't ask my parents and grandparents as they're all in the ground), so I guess I'm stuck with Delaware pride.

If you admire a particular regiment for what they did during the war or because of state pride, that's just as legit as if your ancestors were part of it. I mean I don't think all the 54th Massachusetts and 20th Maine fans are descended from the troops who fought in those regiments.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:48 am

" During the 1858 debates with Stephen Douglas, Lincoln expressed his contemporary view that he believed whites were superior to blacks."

Wikipidea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Li ... _Americans

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:48 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Dracoria wrote:
Or one that their town or city contributed a company to, at least. Plus, many of those flags had nice, individual touches to them. I guess the downside is that most would be more difficult to paint on your truck than stars and crosses, as some had trees, human figures, or animals thrown in.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find a good picture online of the Delaware regiments, though the most prominent, the 1st Delaware Infantry, had a rather typical one with two human figures, crest, and banners. But it looks like the 1st Delaware Infantry captured two Confederate battle flags at Gettysburg, probably on July 3rd. Went through 4 regimental commanders at Gettysburg, too, so I suppose overall it's worth being proud of. Granted I was born in California (I got better) and I'm not even sure where my ancestors fought during the war (can't ask my parents and grandparents as they're all in the ground), so I guess I'm stuck with Delaware pride.

If you admire a particular regiment for what they did during the war or because of state pride, that's just as legit as if your ancestors were part of it. I mean I don't think all the 54th Massachusetts and 20th Maine fans are descended from the troops who fought in those regiments.

Or 1st Minnesota fans, but there's probably a reason for how few descendents they left.
Also, chocobos.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:49 am

Dracoria wrote:

Whose, not who's. And this relates to the Confederate flag and racism how?

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:50 am

Dracoria wrote:

James Carville and Mary Matalin got married too. Your point?
Also, chocobos.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby TheConfederate States of America » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:51 am

Dracoria wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

He was an amazing mind and an amazing body. Seriously, his last wound during the war had people thinking he was dead. Had to be catheterized because the shot wrecked his groin after a rather badass moment of staying upright through will alone, went back to command as soon as he could and then took another miracle shot that, to all appearances, looked to go right through his chest - and kept giving orders. After all that pain, he still showed respect to those on the other side. Then he went on to be elected as governor, catheter and all, refused to give in to bribes and left politics. Amazing man, even if one doesn't believe he initiated the charge on July 2nd.

Now to that I agree Chamberlin was a great man.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cha ... 52189019EC

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:51 am

Norstal wrote:...Where did he say that?

and

I believe that this was already responded to here:

viewtopic.php?p=20877239#p20877239

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:51 am

Dracoria wrote:

My point is that Lincoln supported white supremacism. That is my point.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:52 am

Dracoria wrote:

He held the same beliefs regarding black people as pretty much every other white person of the time.

United States Kingdom
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States Kingdom » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:54 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

He held the same beliefs regarding black people as pretty much every other white person of the time.

Yes and I believe most whites then supported racism and slavery.

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:57 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Which were bad at the time. They would get better, but not until slavery was a thing of the past and they had lived among eachother for longer periods.
Also, chocobos.

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:59 am

Dracoria wrote:

Now to that I agree Chamberlin was a great man.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cha ... 52189019EC

I love that movie. It's what really ignited my interest in the ACW.
Also, chocobos.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:01 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Most were certainly racist by modern terms. However, there was a huge divide regarding the future of the nation as it related to slavery, and many were firmly on the side of abolition, or at least not allowing it to spread.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby TheConfederate States of America » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:03 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

And Alexander H Steavens a friend of dishonest abe.

White Bluff
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 07, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby White Bluff » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:04 am

i was reading though this and i saw something about the South being a traiter to the USA, but u have to remeber that the USA is also a traiter to British Crown.
pros: LGBT Rights, Absolute Monarchy, Socialist, Communist, Left Wing,
Anti: Right Wing, Conservative, Constitutional monarchy/Parliamentary Democracy,

“Lannister, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell. They’re all just spokes on a wheel. This one’s on top, then that one’s on top, and on and on it spins, crushing those on the ground. I’m not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel." - Daenerys Targaryen

Make America Great Britain Again

Gaelic Celtia
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaelic Celtia » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:05 am

Dracoria wrote:

Uh, yeah no. Maybe he wasn't John Brown, but he was not a supremacist, and especially not just because his wife's family owned slaves.

Are the Rebel Sympathizers going to do anything besides just attack Lincoln here to try and detract the negative connotations of the flag? Because, I fail to see how pointing things out about Lincoln makes your beloved banner less negative.
Last edited by Llywelyn ap Iorwerth on Thur May 6, 1208 11:45 am, edited 100 times in total.

Sibirsky wrote:You are offensive to me.
Welsh
Pride!
Economic Left/Right: -7.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.00
Social Attitude Result
Cosmopolitan Social Democrat
Pro: Gay Rights, secularism, Welsh independence, democratic socialism, gun control, choice, progressive tax, death penalty, environmental protection, Plaid Cymru, Stark
Conflicted/Unsure About: Israel, Catalan Independence
Anti: Theocracy, Fundamentalism, Communism, Fascism, National Socialism, Nationalism, USA, Golden Dawn, nuclear weapons, chemical weapons, Lannister

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General