NATION

PASSWORD

Biggest US Supreme Court ruling of the year

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:05 am

The Black Forrest wrote:The Satanists are siting the ruling for exemptions on matters on abortion.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/s ... rtion-laws

Be interesting to see the comments.

For me; well? You call businesses people and you give them rights........

First problem the RFRA restricts federal action not state action, most abortion restrictions are State not federal. The only federal restriction that comes to mind is the prohibition on the dilation and extraction, commonly refereed to as partial birth abortion.

Second problem even assuming you find a state RFRA analog that follows federal precedent states have only allowed exemptions to their rules in situations where they would be constitutional required to allow those exceptions. So unlike in hobby lobby which already had more exceptions than a sieve, the state can argue the abortion rules have no exceptions so are narrowly tailored. This will leave the satanist one argument the state has no compelling interest.

Defining a compelling interest is difficult most of the time the court ducks the question and strikes the law down based on narrow tailoring (like it did in hobby Lobby).
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

JesusOfNazareth
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby JesusOfNazareth » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:46 pm

greed and death wrote:

You must not have had a 401k before. How it works is the employee has a choice of funds, typically based on targeted year of retirement. The employer picks those funds which the employee chooses from.

So, you're thelling the guy at Forbes, the financial magazine, that he doesn't know how 401K plans work?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:21 pm

JesusOfNazareth wrote:
greed and death wrote:You must not have had a 401k before. How it works is the employee has a choice of funds, typically based on targeted year of retirement. The employer picks those funds which the employee chooses from.

So, you're thelling the guy at Forbes, the financial magazine, that he doesn't know how 401K plans work?

Yes.

They have "biblical" 401k plans, that avoid those sorts of investments.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:41 pm

JesusOfNazareth wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Don't fib now. You know 401K plans don't let the employees pick what companies are involved in investing.

Not fibbing.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanellis/2014/07/01/hobby-lobby-owners-can-have-a-401k-and-first-amendment-rights/
401(k) plans are directed and invested by employees, not by employers. It’s the Hobby Lobby employees that would be disenfranchised by the twisted logic employed by Redden and Ungar here. They are the ones–not their bosses–who choose which mutual funds to invest in. This is true both of the employee’s elective deferral and the employer’s match.

kinda not true.

the company offers a ...menu of funds to invest in. the employee chooses exactly what ones to put their money in and in what amounts. the company can nix any fund that they don't want to offer.
whatever

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:58 am

Ashmoria wrote:

kinda not true.

the company offers a ...menu of funds to invest in. the employee chooses exactly what ones to put their money in and in what amounts. the company can nix any fund that they don't want to offer.

It is kind of weird explaining this to people who never had a 401k.
Barack Obama

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:33 am

greed and death wrote:
JesusOfNazareth wrote:So, you're thelling the guy at Forbes, the financial magazine, that he doesn't know how 401K plans work?

Yes.

Forbes is full of partisan quacks anyway. Might as well be getting your medical information from Leeches And Snake Oil Tonic Monthly.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:53 am

Death Metal wrote:
greed and death wrote:Yes.

Forbes is full of partisan quacks anyway. Might as well be getting your medical information from Leeches And Snake Oil Tonic Monthly.

Hobby Lobby is off the hook on the 401k for a few years anyways. Not because they lack control over the 401k but because if they did not realize they were providing contraception in their coverage they likely did not realize they were investing in it as well. ERISA makes changing retirement funds a difficult process that takes years.
Barack Obama

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:03 am

greed and death wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

Hobby Lobby is off the hook on the 401k for a few years anyways. Not because they lack control over the 401k but because if they did not realize they were providing contraception in their coverage they likely did not realize they were investing in it as well. ERISA makes changing retirement funds a difficult process that takes years.

The burden of providing 401k options falls entirely on Hobby Lobby, so they are most certainly on the hook.
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:22 am

Death Metal wrote:
greed and death wrote:

The burden of providing 401k options falls entirely on Hobby Lobby, so they are most certainly on the hook.

But they only realized they were covering contraception in 2012(when the lawyers who brought the case told them), so they likely only realized they were investing in contraception in 2012 at the earliest if not later when new paper articles found this out.

Changing funds while complying with Erisa is difficult. Erisa was created in part to prevent the abuse of CEOs investing in worker retirement funds into the company and then the CEO giving himself a bonus because of all the extra revenue he just raised. So changes in funds have to be gradual, and workers with vested interest in previous funds can not lose that and may be entitled to continued contributions from the employer.
Barack Obama

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:43 am

greed and death wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

But they only realized they were covering contraception in 2012(when the lawyers who brought the case told them), so they likely only realized they were investing in contraception in 2012 at the earliest if not later when new paper articles found this out.

So ignorance is a valid excuse now?

Even when their ignorance comes from their failure to micromanage dilligently?

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:45 am

greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:kinda not true.

yeah

but the forbes people should know better. I didn't read the article (of course) but the 401k thing is very much like the insurance thing.

not that it matters. they don't have a sincere belief about the 401k like they do about insurance.
whatever

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:56 am

Ashmoria wrote:
greed and death wrote:

yeah

but the forbes people should know better. I didn't read the article (of course) but the 401k thing is very much like the insurance thing.

not that it matters. they don't have a sincere belief about the 401k like they do about insurance.

they might bring a case to get an exemption from Erisa their chance of winning is significantly reduced as Erisa does not have exemptions already in place.
Barack Obama

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:06 am

greed and death wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:yeah

they might bring a case to get an exemption from Erisa their chance of winning is significantly reduced as Erisa does not have exemptions already in place.

ohhhnooooo g&d, the hobby lobby ruling was tightly calibrated so as to not give a general religious freedom ruling. it wouldn't apply to anything not signed into law by president Obama.
whatever

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:19 am

Ashmoria wrote:

Actually, I'd say it's proof that their belief isn't sincere at all.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:32 am

Death Metal wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

belief is such an individual thing and religion isn't known for being consistent.
whatever

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:41 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

belief is such an individual thing and religion isn't known for being consistent.

inconsistency is one thing. that HL are doing is pure hypocrisy.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:46 am

Death Metal wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:belief is such an individual thing and religion isn't known for being consistent.

maybe but the supreme court was uninterested in adjudicating sincerity. the claim of belief was enough. so if they don't believe that 401k investments by employees violate the company's religious sensibilities then that is FINE by the supreme court.
whatever

United States of The One Percent
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of The One Percent » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:39 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
greed and death wrote:

ohhhnooooo g&d, the hobby lobby ruling was tightly calibrated so as to not give a general religious freedom ruling. it wouldn't apply to anything not signed into law by president Obama.

Better keep your words sweet. The latest is that once one of these companies goes bankrupt there will be a lot of lawyers lining up to claim Hobby Lobby creates a breach in the corporate veil between corporations that take advantage of it and their ownership, then going after the owners to recover the corporation's debt. Me, I can hardly wait...
''There is one intelligence community and one only. And we are all its victims, wherever we live."

"...taking but not giving, ruling but not obeying, telling but not listening, taking life and not giving it. The slayers govern now, without interference; the dreams of mankind have become empty." -- Philip K. Dick

Jocabia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:43 pm

United States of The One Percent wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Better keep your words sweet. The latest is that once one of these companies goes bankrupt there will be a lot of lawyers lining up to claim Hobby Lobby creates a breach in the corporate veil between corporations that take advantage of it and their ownership, then going after the owners to recover the corporation's debt. Me, I can hardly wait...

I agree. You can't simultaneously claim you are a person that is separate and distinct from your corporation and that you are not. I certainly hope that someone takes them to task on the topic.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:46 pm

Jocabia wrote:
United States of The One Percent wrote:

I agree. You can't simultaneously claim you are a person that is separate and distinct from your corporation and that you are not. I certainly hope that someone takes them to task on the topic.

Schroedinger's Corporation. It is simulatenous a person and not a person.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:24 pm

greed and death wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

Changing funds while complying with Erisa is difficult. Erisa was created in part to prevent the abuse of CEOs investing in worker retirement funds into the company and then the CEO giving himself a bonus because of all the extra revenue he just raised. So changes in funds have to be gradual, and workers with vested interest in previous funds can not lose that and may be entitled to continued contributions from the employer.

You're telling me that they didn't bother to find out what they were investing in?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:48 pm

Geilinor wrote:
greed and death wrote:But they only realized they were covering contraception in 2012(when the lawyers who brought the case told them), so they likely only realized they were investing in contraception in 2012 at the earliest if not later when new paper articles found this out.

You're telling me that they didn't bother to find out what they were investing in?

He's telling you they didn't care until they were given a political reason to care. Then, for political reasons, they punished their employees by refusing to cover something they didn't mind covering previously. Uh, I mean, they were just enforcing their sincerely held beliefs.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:55 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

maybe but the supreme court was uninterested in adjudicating sincerity. the claim of belief was enough. so if they don't believe that 401k investments by employees violate the company's religious sensibilities then that is FINE by the supreme court.

The religious belief has to be sincerely held in order to receive an exemption.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Earth in Roughly 1000 Years
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earth in Roughly 1000 Years » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:58 pm

Volnotova wrote:
Trollzilla wrote:It is my position that these companies are more likely using religious freedom as a smoke screen to avoid their legal responsibilities to provide employer funded health care benefits to their employees. This is more about corporate profits than it is religious freedom.

Hit. Nail. Head.

This so very much.

I'm not saying its not true but do you have evidence of them being opportunist in this regard or is it just a hunch?

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.67
Political Spectrum:
Left: 0.49
Libertarian: 4.06
Non-Interventionist: 4.4
Cultural Liberal: 3.29
Political Test
http://oi57.tinypic.com/erifc1.jpg
Social Attitude Test:
http://oi57.tinypic.com/2dj1btf.jpg
Political Survey:
http://politics.beasts.org/scripts/resu ... 1915620368

If you think your shit doesn't stink it's only because your sense of smell does.

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Earth in Roughly 1000 Years wrote:
Volnotova wrote:
Hit. Nail. Head.

This so very much.

I'm not saying its not true but do you have evidence of them being opportunist in this regard or is it just a hunch?

Well, there is the fact that they didn't even notice they were already providing this care until a law passed that said they have to.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General