NATION

PASSWORD

Is it time to deploy the National Guard at the S. Border?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the National Guard be federalized and placed at the border?

Yes
41%
Yes, but only with limited support (More Drone surveillance of the Border etc)
12%
Don't Care
5%
No
13%
No, Absolutely not
29%

Total votes : 316

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:04 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Saruhan wrote:A civil offence is a dispute between two citizens. By it's very definition that is a criminal offense

No, really, being in the US without proper documentation is only a civil matter. Trying to cross the border without proper documentation is a criminal offense but only if you get caught doing it.

This is what I'm trying to say.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:05 am

Murkwood wrote:
Estrain wrote:
No, they aren't they are here without documentation, which is a CIVIL offense. Following that, Justice Anthony Kennedy said: “As a general rule, it is not a crime for a movable alien to remain in the United States.”

Also, if you thought calling me a social justice warrior is going to hurt my feelings, it's not. I wear that badge proudly.

In the present, if an illegal got here, yes. But I'm pretty sure its against the law to cross the fence.

They aren't illegal!! That's incorrect legally speaking, and it's very, very demeaning. Yes, they broke a silly law by crossing a line drawn in the sand by a government, but that doesn't make them an "illegal person."
Economic Left/Right: -8.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00
Queer, feminist, leftist, humanist. A person who sees value in emotions and compassion. Advice to live by: don't take people who think Breitbart is a credible source seriously.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:05 am

Estrain wrote:
Organized States wrote:Unarmed Drones are a much better and cheaper option, and the National Guard has widespread access to them.

Right! Let's have the US government flying unmanned drones in the United States and Mexico. Gee I can't imagine how that could go wrong, but I'm sure some Yemeni and Pakistani people could.

They are talking surveillance drones, not killing ones.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:05 am

Estrain wrote:
Organized States wrote:Unarmed Drones are a much better and cheaper option, and the National Guard has widespread access to them.

Right! Let's have the US government flying unmanned drones in the United States and Mexico. Gee I can't imagine how that could go wrong, but I'm sure some Yemeni and Pakistani people could.

And everything with an engine is a Tank. Just because we've attached bombs to drones before doesn't mean we always do
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:06 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

ah I see... interesting...

well I expect those will prove useful for effective terrain surveillance.

The MQ-1 happens to have a very long loiter time. Plus, I suspect the use of those Surveillance Blimps to become rather common on the border soon.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:06 am

Estrain wrote:

what's Mexico going to do? Declare war?

This illegal immigration problem is at least partially the fault of Mexico for their unwillingness/inability to enforce their border agreements with the US.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:06 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Saruhan wrote:A civil offence is a dispute between two citizens. By it's very definition that is a criminal offense

No, really, being in the US without proper documentation is only a civil matter. Trying to cross the border without proper documentation is a criminal offense but only if you get caught doing it.

Really? Okay, sorry then. Here a civil court isn't government involved. It's between two persons (family, tort, employment)
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:07 am

Estrain wrote:
Murkwood wrote:In the present, if an illegal got here, yes. But I'm pretty sure its against the law to cross the fence.

They aren't illegal!! That's incorrect legally speaking, and it's very, very demeaning. Yes, they broke a silly law by crossing a line drawn in the sand by a government, but that doesn't make them an "illegal person."

No, but it makes them a migrant who isn't legally allowed to be in the country. That person is an immigrant who participated in illegal activitys, hence the illegal immigrant.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:08 am

Organized States wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
ah I see... interesting...

well I expect those will prove useful for effective terrain surveillance.

The MQ-1 happens to have a very long loiter time. Plus, I suspect the use of those Surveillance Blimps to become rather common on the border soon.

interesting...

surveillance aircraft are so cool. How do you know so much about them btw?

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:08 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Estrain wrote:

This illegal immigration problem is at least partially the fault of Mexico for their unwillingness/inability to enforce their border agreements with the US.

Pena is doing a shit job.

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:08 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Estrain wrote:

They have a war going on their country already. Drug cartels basically run their state, because they don't have the ability to crush them. Why? Because they are making so much money by sending their drugs here. You want to slow down immigration from Mexico into the United States? Legalize drugs in this country, or at least decriminalize them, and drug cartels will lose power. Once their weaker the Mexican state can work to make their country safer.
Last edited by Estrain (Ancient) on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queer, feminist, leftist, humanist. A person who sees value in emotions and compassion. Advice to live by: don't take people who think Breitbart is a credible source seriously.

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:09 am

Murkwood wrote:
Estrain wrote:

No, but it makes them a migrant who isn't legally allowed to be in the country. That person is an immigrant who participated in illegal activitys, hence the illegal immigrant.

But I've already proved that that line of thinking is completely flawed!

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:09 am

Estrain wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

They have a war going on their country already. Drug cartels basically run their state, because they don't have the ability to crush them. Why? Because they are making so much money by sending their drugs here. You want to slow down immigration from Mexico into the United States? Legalize drugs in this country, or at least decriminalize them, and drug cartels will lose power. Once their weaker the Mexican state can work to make their country safer.

No, what needs to happen is that Pena needs to grow a backbone and stop the human smugglers.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:10 am

Estrain wrote:
Murkwood wrote:No, but it makes them a migrant who isn't legally allowed to be in the country. That person is an immigrant who participated in illegal activitys, hence the illegal immigrant.

Buddy, you've proven nothing.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:10 am

Estrain wrote:

Customs and Border Protection has been flying UNARMED, surveillance drones over the border for years. If the National Guard was to give 8 or 9 more to add to the CBP's 2, you could patrol half the border with ISR and FLIR Capability.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:10 am

Murkwood wrote:
Estrain wrote:

No, what needs to happen is that Pena needs to grow a backbone and stop the human smugglers.

I agree that human smugglers need to be stopped, because they don't treat people well. They extort victims, making them pay ridiculous amounts, and often kill or abuse them.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:12 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Organized States wrote:The MQ-1 happens to have a very long loiter time. Plus, I suspect the use of those Surveillance Blimps to become rather common on the border soon.

interesting...

Umm. Just a hobby, plus I live near a pretty active drone base, mainly the RQ-4 Global Hawk operates from one of the Air Force Bases nearby.
Thank God for OS!- Deian

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:12 am

Murkwood wrote:
Estrain wrote:

Buddy, you've proven nothing.

1. Them being here is a civil offense, not a criminal one.
2. “As a general rule, it is not a crime for a movable alien to remain in the United States.” - Justice Anthony Kennedy.
3. They performed one criminal act, according to a silly system of law that doesn't acknowledge the history of the United States and the obvious benefits of immigration, by crossing the border.
4. It's inhumane and dehumanizing. It's strips them of their humanity, and makes them some sort of "other."
Last edited by Estrain (Ancient) on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:13 am

Organized States wrote:
Estrain wrote:

Customs and Border Protection has been flying UNARMED, surveillance drones over the border for years. If the National Guard was to give 8 or 9 more to add to the CBP's 2, you could patrol half the border with ISR and FLIR Capability.

Fair enough, I was wrong about that. I still wouldn't like a lot of drones flying over the border. It would be an invasion of privacy, and it could be a slippery slope leading to weaponized drones.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:14 am

Organized States wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
interesting...

Umm. Just a hobby, plus I live near a pretty active drone base, mainly the RQ-4 Global Hawk operates from one of the Air Force Bases nearby.

i see...

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:14 am

Estrain wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Buddy, you've proven nothing.

1. Them being here is a civil offense, not a criminal one.
2. “As a general rule, it is not a crime for a movable alien to remain in the United States.” - Justice Robert Kennedy.
3. They performed one criminal act, according to a silly system of law that doesn't acknowledge the history of the United States and the obvious benefits of immigration, by crossing the border.
4. It's inhumane and dehumanizing. It's strips them of their humanity, and makes them some sort of "other."

1. But crossing the border is.
2. Okay...Your point?
3. I don't care if you like it or not. Its the law.
4. I think its a good description.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:14 am

Just to be a little bit more tolerant to Hispanics, could we please refrain from Illegal as a way to referring to them in this thread. That goes for a few other terms I won't mention.
Thank God for OS!- Deian

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:15 am

Estrain wrote:
Organized States wrote:Customs and Border Protection has been flying UNARMED, surveillance drones over the border for years. If the National Guard was to give 8 or 9 more to add to the CBP's 2, you could patrol half the border with ISR and FLIR Capability.

Fair enough, I was wrong about that. I still wouldn't like a lot of drones flying over the border. It would be an invasion of privacy, and it could be a slippery slope leading to weaponized drones.

Surveillance of Illegals = Invasion of Privacy.

Logic.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:16 am

Organized States wrote:Just to be a little bit more tolerant to Hispanics, could we please refrain from Illegal as a way to referring to them in this thread. That goes for a few other terms I won't mention.

Illegal isn't degradeing of Hispanics. That's like say Mobster is degradaing to Italians.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:16 am

Organized States wrote:Just to be a little bit more tolerant to Hispanics, could we please refrain from Illegal as a way to referring to them in this thread. That goes for a few other terms I won't mention.

i'm sorry but the ''illegal'' (at least in my usage) isn't restricted to Hispanics.

Anyone who attempts and succeeds in entering a country illegally, that is without the proper papers, documentation and/or not through the proper channels and established official points of entry... is an illegal immigrant. I differentiate between immigrants who are Hispanics (abide by US custom laws) and illegal immigrants who are Hispanics.

Deploying the National Guard is to deal with the second group.

I don't see what ''respect'' has to do with anything.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General