NATION

PASSWORD

Is it time to deploy the National Guard at the S. Border?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the National Guard be federalized and placed at the border?

Yes
41%
Yes, but only with limited support (More Drone surveillance of the Border etc)
12%
Don't Care
5%
No
13%
No, Absolutely not
29%

Total votes : 316

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:17 am

Murkwood wrote:
Estrain wrote:
1. Them being here is a civil offense, not a criminal one.
2. “As a general rule, it is not a crime for a movable alien to remain in the United States.” - Justice Robert Kennedy.
3. They performed one criminal act, according to a silly system of law that doesn't acknowledge the history of the United States and the obvious benefits of immigration, by crossing the border.
4. It's inhumane and dehumanizing. It's strips them of their humanity, and makes them some sort of "other."

1. But crossing the border is.
2. Okay...Your point?
3. I don't care if you like it or not. Its the law.
4. I think its a good description.

I agree with you on that. Crossing the border is an illegal act. But that does NOT make them illegal. They aren't "illegal immigrants" that's factually incorrect. But clearly, you will continue to use that dehumanizing language and there's nothing I can do.
That quote is from the Supreme Court when they gave out the majority on SB 1070.
Economic Left/Right: -8.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00
Queer, feminist, leftist, humanist. A person who sees value in emotions and compassion. Advice to live by: don't take people who think Breitbart is a credible source seriously.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:18 am

Estrain wrote:
Organized States wrote:Customs and Border Protection has been flying UNARMED, surveillance drones over the border for years. If the National Guard was to give 8 or 9 more to add to the CBP's 2, you could patrol half the border with ISR and FLIR Capability.

Fair enough, I was wrong about that. I still wouldn't like a lot of drones flying over the border. It would be an invasion of privacy, and it could be a slippery slope leading to weaponized drones.

I think there's currently an Executive Order about the DOD operating armed drones over US Soil, which they area' allowed to. Hellfire missiles are very expensive too, they are running almost 500,000 dollars a pop now, I don't think that the US Government would want to use those on Low Level Human Smugglers when they can bust them for 80,000 dollars instead through conventional means.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:18 am

Estrain wrote:
Murkwood wrote:1. But crossing the border is.
2. Okay...Your point?

I agree with you on that. Crossing the border is an illegal act. But that does NOT make them illegal. They aren't "illegal immigrants" that's factually incorrect. But clearly, you will continue to use that dehumanizing language and there's nothing I can do.
That quote is from the Supreme Court when they gave out the majority on SB 1070.

i thought an illegal immigrant was someone who broke a law relating to immigration regulation when entering the country.

how's it dehumanizing? They broke a law... hence the illegal part.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:18 am

Estrain wrote:
Murkwood wrote:1. But crossing the border is.
2. Okay...Your point?

If you find it offensive, report me to Moderation.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:19 am

Murkwood wrote:
Estrain wrote:
Fair enough, I was wrong about that. I still wouldn't like a lot of drones flying over the border. It would be an invasion of privacy, and it could be a slippery slope leading to weaponized drones.

Surveillance of Illegals = Invasion of Privacy.

Logic.

Right! Because as citizens of the world, as people, they have rights. They have rights, according to international law and according the United Nations. You're logic is dehumanizing and oppressive.
Queer, feminist, leftist, humanist. A person who sees value in emotions and compassion. Advice to live by: don't take people who think Breitbart is a credible source seriously.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:19 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:What are you going to do, line up the units shoulder to shoulder from the Gulf to the Pacific? If you want to spend money on this, beef up the Border Guard. Deploying weekend warriors who will just be pissed off at having to leave their jobs and families to stand around in the friggin' desert doing nothing is not going to improve anything.

do the National Guard have access to US military satellites?

It can help with surveillance on the ground and help with reducing man-hours for the troops if they get tired.

I expect these high tech tools should be very useful for detecting illegal crossings. You can then send the appropriate response force on a case by case basis...

The border guards have that too...

And probably much better at it.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:19 am

Murkwood wrote:
Estrain wrote:

Surveillance of Illegals = Invasion of Privacy.

Logic.

True. All persons within the jurisdiction of the United States, whether citizens or not, are entitled to equal protection under the law as provided by the 14th Amendment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yick_Wo_v. ... _the_Court
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:20 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Estrain wrote:

i thought an illegal immigrant was someone who broke a law relating to immigration regulation when entering the country.

It's dehumanizing, because humans can't be illegal!!! To refer to them as "illegal" makes them an "other," i.e. not human, i.e. dehumanized.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:20 am

Estrain wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Surveillance of Illegals = Invasion of Privacy.

Logic.

Right! Because as citizens of the world, as people, they have rights. They have rights, according to international law and according the United Nations. You're logic is dehumanizing and oppressive.

There is no real thing as international law. No one cares what the UN has to say.
Last edited by Murkwood on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:21 am

Norstal wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

It can help with surveillance on the ground and help with reducing man-hours for the troops if they get tired.

I expect these high tech tools should be very useful for detecting illegal crossings. You can then send the appropriate response force on a case by case basis...

Good. Then they can work together and combine capabilities to enforce the US border laws; I like where this is going.

I'm sure the National Guard, coming from a more military perspective, can bring a fresh perspective to the problem while the traditional border agencies can teach the National Guard a lot too. Together they will be unstoppable.

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:21 am

Farnhamia wrote:

Logic.

True. All persons within the jurisdiction of the United States, whether citizens or not, are entitled to equal protection under the law as provided by the 14th Amendment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yick_Wo_v. ... _the_Court

Thank you!

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:21 am

Norstal wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

They don't have the manpower to continue tracking them after they have been picked up by air assets unless they are in a fixed position most of the time, though.
Last edited by Organized States on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:22 am

Farnhamia wrote:

Logic.

Okay? Its not an invasion of privacy to have surveillance drones.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:22 am

Estrain wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

It's dehumanizing, because humans can't be illegal!!! To refer to them as "illegal" makes them an "other," i.e. not human, i.e. dehumanized.

then what would you call them?

''immigrants who broke the law''? People on the news used the term ''illegal immigrants'' all the time and get no flak for it. I thought the term was mainstream and neutral...

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:23 am

Murkwood wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:True. All persons within the jurisdiction of the United States, whether citizens or not, are entitled to equal protection under the law as provided by the 14th Amendment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yick_Wo_v. ... _the_Court

I doubt that's be adjudicated in any court yet.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:23 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Estrain wrote:

''immigrants who broke the law''? People on the news used the term ''illegal immigrants'' all the time and get no flak for it. I thought the term was mainstream and neutral...

Not according to the SJWs.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:23 am

Murkwood wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:True. All persons within the jurisdiction of the United States, whether citizens or not, are entitled to equal protection under the law as provided by the 14th Amendment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yick_Wo_v. ... _the_Court

I believe you aren't technically invading their privacy. You are just looking at them.
Thank God for OS!- Deian

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:23 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Estrain wrote:

It's definitely mainstream, but it's hardly neutral. They are undocumented immigrants. People on the news say a lot of things they should get flak for. If you talked to an actual undocumented immigrant or people who represent them or fight for their rights, they will tell you the same thing I'm saying right now.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:24 am

Murkwood wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

what's SJW?

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:24 am

Organized States wrote:
Norstal wrote:The border guards have that too...

They don't have the manpower to continue tracking them after they have been picked up by air assets unless they are in a fixed position most of the time.

How so?
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:24 am

Organized States wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Okay? Its not an invasion of privacy to have surveillance drones.

I believe you aren't technically invading their privacy. You are just looking at them.

Its like saying Traffic Cams are an invasion of privacy.

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:24 am

Murkwood wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Again, not an insult. *oh no* I actually care about people's feelings and don't think they should be oppressed. Ouch.

Estrain (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Estrain (Ancient) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:25 am

Murkwood wrote:
Organized States wrote:I believe you aren't technically invading their privacy. You are just looking at them.

Its like saying Traffic Cams are an invasion of privacy.

And some people believe that and argue that point. It's actually a common belief, I've found.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:25 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Not according to the SJWs.

what's SJW?

Social Justice Warriors. They are extreme far-left radfems and their ilk.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:25 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Estrain wrote:

It isn't really neutral but it is mainstream.

Estrain, can we grind our teeth and accept that people are going to use the term "illegal immigrants" and not make the term the topic?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General