NATION

PASSWORD

Anarchism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Maqo wrote:Implied consent? IMPLIED CONSENT?! If I wear a short skirt is that implied consent to rape me???taxation is literally worse than rape.
^^ shit arkolon says

Piss poor comparison. One doesn't consent to rape. One does consent to paying for a meal, because if they don't, then they've broken a law.

One doesn't necessarily consent to taxation, and apparently living here is "implied consent" to theft.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:57 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Maqo wrote:Hey now. 4 years would be a new record.
Calling it successful would still be like calling the original Tacoma bridge a stable structure.

99.8% of human history is quite a feat, and is arguably longer than 4 years.

Nah man. We just got here last week. :p

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Maqo wrote:Implied consent? IMPLIED CONSENT?! If I wear a short skirt is that implied consent to rape me???taxation is literally worse than rape.
^^ shit arkolon says

Taxation on labour is slavery, and "implied consent" is almost an oxymoron.

Taxation is not slavery. You are not being bought or sold nor being forced to work against your will. If you don't work and have no income, you don't pay taxes.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:59 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Piss poor comparison. One doesn't consent to rape. One does consent to paying for a meal, because if they don't, then they've broken a law.

One doesn't necessarily consent to taxation, and apparently living here is "implied consent" to theft.

While you and I don't really see eye-to-eye (sort of) on taxation, you're right, one doesn't consent to it.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:59 pm

Maqo wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:
Except you enter the restaurant willingly and voluntarily, and imply that you are going to pay for the food. You do not enter the state willingly or voluntarily. And the services the state provides would be equivalent to your neighbor mowing your lawn for you for free without your consent/knowledge and then threatening to hold you hostage at the barrel of the gun if you don't pay up his services. (implicitly)

I believe that the definition of "force" (in this context, aggression) can be compromised into something near the Libertarian definition of force. Say you have a group of communists - in the voluntary minimal state, these communists who believe that capitalism is forceful may withdraw from capitalist society and establish their own communes. Same with white nationalists or any other group. The only thing that doesn't make such a pluralist society possible is the insistence by some that their ideology doesn't allow for compromise.

Implied consent? IMPLIED CONSENT?! If I wear a short skirt is that implied consent to rape me???taxation is literally worse than rape.
^^ shit arkolon says

I'm not Arkolon.

Nobody consents to rape. That's contradictory to the very definition of rape.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:00 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Arkolon wrote:One doesn't necessarily consent to taxation, and apparently living here is "implied consent" to theft.

While you and I don't really see eye-to-eye (sort of) on taxation, you're right, one doesn't consent to it.

Not explicitly, but it is implied by citizenship and/or residence.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Taxation on labour is slavery, and "implied consent" is almost an oxymoron.

Taxation is not slavery. You are not being bought or sold nor being forced to work against your will. If you don't work and have no income, you don't pay taxes.

If a third of my income is taxed, a third of my time being spent earning income is not for me, but for the state. Slavery has many definitions, and if you disagree with it being used here because it doesn't fit your particular definition for one particular instance of slavery, then have "taxation on income is forced labour" instead. Slavery has a master-slave relationship and is an overriding of self-ownership, which applies to everything I have called slavery so far.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Arkolon wrote:One doesn't necessarily consent to taxation, and apparently living here is "implied consent" to theft.

From a libertarian position, how is taxation even justifiable without a weak resort to consequentialism, though?
Rosa Luxemburg

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:05 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Merizoc wrote:While you and I don't really see eye-to-eye (sort of) on taxation, you're right, one doesn't consent to it.

Not explicitly, but it is implied by citizenship and/or residence.

I was given citizenship by birth, and I didn't choose where I got to live. And who gave the state the authority to have a monopoly on violence where I live? And what if I disagree?
Rosa Luxemburg

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:06 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Merizoc wrote:While you and I don't really see eye-to-eye (sort of) on taxation, you're right, one doesn't consent to it.

From a libertarian position, how is taxation even justifiable without a weak resort to consequentialism, though?

Why can't one resort to consequentialism? After all, the end result is what taxes are about.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:06 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Not explicitly, but it is implied by citizenship and/or residence.

I was given citizenship by birth, and I didn't choose where I got to live. And who gave the state the authority to have a monopoly on violence where I live? And what if I disagree?

Become a primitivist, live in the woods. :p

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Arkolon wrote:From a libertarian position, how is taxation even justifiable without a weak resort to consequentialism, though?

Why can't one resort to consequentialism? After all, the end result is what taxes are about.

Consequentialism is usually used to justify the overriding of self-ownership because the means, overriding human rights, would justify the ends, which are instituting various positive freedoms. The means there are never justifiable.
Rosa Luxemburg

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:10 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Arkolon wrote:I was given citizenship by birth, and I didn't choose where I got to live. And who gave the state the authority to have a monopoly on violence where I live? And what if I disagree?

I actually hate the outdoors. I'm a city rat, after all.
Rosa Luxemburg

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:11 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Arkolon wrote:I was given citizenship by birth, and I didn't choose where I got to live. And who gave the state the authority to have a monopoly on violence where I live? And what if I disagree?

I like primitivists. Thoreau actually helped get me into libertarianism. Thoreau was also a badass tax resister.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Why can't one resort to consequentialism? After all, the end result is what taxes are about.

Consequentialism is usually used to justify the overriding of self-ownership because the means, overriding human rights, would justify the ends, which are instituting various positive freedoms. The means there are never justifiable.

Ah, man, I can only hold on for so long. You're gonna have to give that to me in layman's terms. :p

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:24 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Consequentialism is usually used to justify the overriding of self-ownership because the means, overriding human rights, would justify the ends, which are instituting various positive freedoms. The means there are never justifiable.

Ah, man, I can only hold on for so long. You're gonna have to give that to me in layman's terms. :p

Well, do you own yourself?
Rosa Luxemburg

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:28 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Ah, man, I can only hold on for so long. You're gonna have to give that to me in layman's terms. :p

Well, do you own yourself?

Of course.

Maqo
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Maqo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:38 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Arkolon wrote:99.8% of human history is quite a feat, and is arguably longer than 4 years.

Nah man. We just got here last week. :p

Seriously, can you quit it with that 99.8% number? It means nothing, at all.
Even with the absurdity of the metric, it's counting creatures that aren't even human.
But more to the point, the majority of humans that have ever lived have lived under a state. The first states began to establish ~3000 BC, by which time we had (by most calculations) barely reached 5 billion humans to have EVER lived. The cumulative world population is now ~110 billion.
I can't say exactly when the majority of the living began to live within a state, but populations within a state grew at much faster rates than those without - perhaps for the simple reason that the state exists to manage large populations effectively.
It is much more revealing that 95%+ of humans that have ever lived have lived under a state.
My nation's views do not reflect my own.
Anti: Ideology, religion, the non-aggression principle.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:39 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Well, do you own yourself?

Of course.

This means that what you can or cannot do with your body is only up to one person: yourself. Whether or not you want to snort cocaine or prostitute yourself, that's your decision. Whether or not you want to freely express yourself or continue to live as a human being, that's your decision. Just checking if you're still on board with this.

From this, we realise that you therefore have natural rights-- rights that arise out of you owning yourself. A right to freedom of speech, expression, as well as a right to life (forget about abortion at the moment cos it's tricky), and other elementary rights. Correct? Follow-on if yes: your rights therefore end where another's begins, correct?
Rosa Luxemburg

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:41 pm

Maqo wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Nah man. We just got here last week. :p

Seriously, can you quit it with that 99.8% number? It means nothing, at all.
Even with the absurdity of the metric, it's counting creatures that aren't even human.
But more to the point, the majority of humans that have ever lived have lived under a state. The first states began to establish ~3000 BC, by which time we had (by most calculations) barely reached 5 billion humans to have EVER lived. The cumulative world population is now ~110 billion.
I can't say exactly when the majority of the living began to live within a state, but populations within a state grew at much faster rates than those without - perhaps for the simple reason that the state exists to manage large populations effectively.
It is much more revealing that 95%+ of humans that have ever lived have lived under a state.

But you were claiming that anarchism can only last for a few years, a patently false statement, not that anarchism only works on smaller groups.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Of course.

This means that what you can or cannot do with your body is only up to one person: yourself. Whether or not you want to snort cocaine or prostitute yourself, that's your decision. Whether or not you want to freely express yourself or continue to live as a human being, that's your decision. Just checking if you're still on board with this.

From this, we realise that you therefore have natural rights-- rights that arise out of you owning yourself. A right to freedom of speech, expression, as well as a right to life (forget about abortion at the moment cos it's tricky), and other elementary rights. Correct? Follow-on if yes: your rights therefore end where another's begins, correct?

Sure.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Arkolon wrote:This means that what you can or cannot do with your body is only up to one person: yourself. Whether or not you want to snort cocaine or prostitute yourself, that's your decision. Whether or not you want to freely express yourself or continue to live as a human being, that's your decision. Just checking if you're still on board with this.

Sure.

The follow-on question was natural law, which came from your acceptance to natural rights. Let us continue to the following axiom. Overriding self-ownership, or natural rights, or natural law, would be illegitimate, correct? They would be wrong for the very reason that the things it breaches are, as you and I agree, right. This means that murder would be illegitimate, as it breaches self-ownership. As would rape. As would slavery. As would theft. As would all else in... the non-aggression principle.

So where does, in your left-libertarian eyes, does the NAP fall short of being consistent?
Rosa Luxemburg

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Sure.

The follow-on question was natural law, which came from your acceptance to natural rights. Let us continue to the following axiom. Overriding self-ownership, or natural rights, or natural law, would be illegitimate, correct? They would be wrong for the very reason that the things it breaches are, as you and I agree, right. This means that murder would be illegitimate, as it breaches self-ownership. As would rape. As would slavery. As would theft. As would all else in... the non-aggression principle.

So where does, in your left-libertarian eyes, does the NAP fall short of being consistent?

I feel that taxation is justified because something good comes out of it. Is it preferable to all alternatives? No. Could it be made better by allowing people to choose where their tax burden falls? Absolutely. But in cases like murder, or slavery, very few, or no people benefit from it. With taxation (in most cases) everyone does.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:29 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:which might be possible if people never died, no further humans were ever born, and all exchanges had to happen at the exact same time. Under that definition skipping out on a check at a restaurant is completely OK because otherwise they are forcing you to meet an obligation you no longer wish to meet.

also by your argument the state still owns the majority of the land, by investing in expeditions to map unoccupied territory, thus mixing their labor.

Except you enter the restaurant willingly and voluntarily, and imply that you are going to pay for the food. You do not enter the state willingly or voluntarily.

which is going to be true of any society that lasts long enough for people to be born.

And the services the state provides would be equivalent to your neighbor mowing your lawn for you for free without your consent/knowledge and then threatening to hold you hostage at the barrel of the gun if you don't pay up his services. (implicitly)

actually they would be equivalent to a hotel room that has a bar, pool, gym, and a dozen other services, some of which you pay when you use and others you pay as part of the room fee.

I believe that the definition of "force" (in this context, aggression) can be compromised into something near the Libertarian definition of force.

wanna bet, people have vastly different definitions of what is wrong, and what is force.

Say you have a group of communists - in the voluntary minimal state, these communists who believe that capitalism is forceful may withdraw from capitalist society and establish their own communes.

which is different than modern states do it how?
you can leave at any time, if anything they have made it far easier than it would be without a state.

Same with white nationalists or any other group. The only thing that doesn't make such a pluralist society possible is the insistence by some that their ideology doesn't allow for compromise.

which is not going to go away, if anything a minimal state empowers such people.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Maqo
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Maqo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Why can't one resort to consequentialism? After all, the end result is what taxes are about.

Why not? Why are good outcomes automatically rejected because you have some ethical issue with the way we get there? Why are 'ethical' actions praised no matter how detrimental their outcome?
You're simply asserting that consequentialism is 'wrong' and self-ownership is 'right', without any proof. Which I guess there can't be, considering its a philosophical discussion. Which essentially leads us to the conclusion that what is ethical depends on your system of ethics :O imagine that.
My nation's views do not reflect my own.
Anti: Ideology, religion, the non-aggression principle.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General