NATION

PASSWORD

Is ''Hooters'' Degrading To Women?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Poll ended at Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Yes
25%
No
58%
Both
17%

Total votes : 365

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:33 pm

Celestial Divinities wrote:I'm sure it's not degrading to the women who work there, however that does not mean it is not harmful to females as a whole. More power to the women profiting from it (get those tips girlie!) but at the same time it reinforces rape culture/this dangerous idea that women are sexual objects. In an ideal world a Hooters could totally exist without degrading anyone. Men would go to enjoy food and harmlessly look at women (because who on Earth doesn't like to look at attractive people and eat??) and there wouldn't be a rape culture to reinforce. There would be a Hooters for women (EDIT THIS EXISTS THATS GREAT ) and we could go and ogle at some lovely six pack abs and enjoy a nice quinoa stuffed pepper. So Hooter's isn't inherently degrading, it is the preexisting flaws in our society that makes it so.

PS, given the opportunity, I would totally work at a Hooters myself. I think I personally would feel empowered and I love wearing minimal clothing. Ideal job tbh

Rape culture's hijacking by idiots makes it unsuitable for such a well-reasoned post as this.
it is my firm belief that I should never have to justify my beliefs.

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Getrektistan wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:Because women psychologically and traditionally don't make attractiveness as important in mate choice as men.

I didn't say that men do that, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. There's a difference between including physical attractiveness as one criterion in assessing a person and treating them as if that one criterion embodies their whole personality.

That's what I was saying. A switched-up version of Hooters wouldn't be as successful because attractiveness isn't as important to women as to men.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:35 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Getrektistan wrote:
I didn't say that men do that, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. There's a difference between including physical attractiveness as one criterion in assessing a person and treating them as if that one criterion embodies their whole personality.

attractiveness isn't as important to women as to men.

Do you have any actual sources for that claim?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Getrektistan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Getrektistan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:36 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Getrektistan wrote:

That's what I was saying. A switched-up version of Hooters wouldn't be as successful because attractiveness isn't as important to women as to men.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were saying that sarcastically. NSG has conditioned me to expect rude replies wherever I go. ;)
Mushet wrote:That's just a disingenuous equivalance you can't just point a crucifix at somebody and blast their brains out, that's a big difference.

-Arabiyyah- wrote:I don't even understand the insult you are just calling me a spear with meat and onions?

Alyakia wrote:i think you're giving her too much credit for turning a racist extremist party into a racist extremist party except we sorta hide it now

Dakini wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:
I understand it perfectly. I'm sorry you apparently can't handle reality.

I'm sorry that you can't handle the English language.

Solaray
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:36 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Getrektistan wrote:

In relationships perhaps, yes. But I don't doubt that women would oay good money to be served tasty food by shirtless studly dudes. Preferably at Rattlesnakes.

Still straight by the way
Last edited by Solaray on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig closed for construction.

Est. completion date: Summer 2054

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Republic of Greater America
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Greater America » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Giggity (no).

Aurora Novus
Senator

Founded: Jan 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Dakini wrote:I'd say that I'm amazed that the place is allowed to operate how it does, but given that courts have ruled against waitresses who were fired for refusing to wear makeup (when no such requirement exists for men), I'm not really surprised.

Aurora Novus wrote:
No, there isn't. Because degredation is not the same as objectiifcation. We objectify people all the time. When you go to a university class, you're objecifying your professor. When you order pizza, you're objectifying the person who delivers it. Objectification is a natural part of human existence.

lol.

Wow.

You really don't understand what "objectification" means do you? You don't need to answer that, your post indicated that you don't.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Getrektistan wrote:I don't think that Hooters as a company is inherently degrading to women, since offering services where people voluntarily and happily display their sexuality isn't really degrading. I do think, however, that Hooters tends to attract a crowd that is more prone to have degrading opinions about women. I'm not saying that everybody who goes there is a misogynist, of course, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were more misogynists there than other restaurants.

Edit: Oh, and now that I think about it, the huge success of Hooters is degrading as well, especially since there's no successful male equivalent that I know of. I think it says a lot that a company whose entire business model is hiring scantily clad women is so successful and well liked primarily by men in this country.

Because women psychologically and traditionally don't make attractiveness as important in mate choice as men.

Yes on the "traditionally" part, because historically men have been considered valuable for things other than reproduction while women have not.

Not so much on the "psychologically" part though.
Last edited by Dakini on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:41 pm

Aurora Novus wrote:
Dakini wrote:I'd say that I'm amazed that the place is allowed to operate how it does, but given that courts have ruled against waitresses who were fired for refusing to wear makeup (when no such requirement exists for men), I'm not really surprised.

lol.

Wow.

You really don't understand what "objectification" means do you? You don't need to answer that, your post indicated that you don't.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:42 pm

ha ha ha look at all of the heterosexuals

Solaray
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Thafoo wrote:ha ha ha look at all of the heterosexuals

We have names ya know!

:p

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Parhe » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Yes depending on one's view, but if an individual chooses to be degraded for some money I don't care. I mean, yeah sure, people may need the money, but, though I may be bias coming from an area where less degrading watering and other jobs pay just as much or more, then they should find another restaurant to work at. If degrade means to use your body "sexually" to gain something then, yes, I've "degraded" myself for some advantage. Maybe being male it is different, but I found it more empowering then anything negative. Or, at least, the positives outweighed the negatives.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:44 pm

Solaray wrote:
Thafoo wrote:ha ha ha look at all of the heterosexuals

We have names ya know!

Speak for yourself.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Solaray
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:45 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Solaray wrote:We have names ya know!

Speak for yourself.

Most of us have names anyway!

Ya know!

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:46 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Solaray wrote:We have names ya know!

Speak for yourself.

That was the perfect opportunity for your name. :p
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote: attractiveness isn't as important to women as to men.

Do you have any actual sources for that claim?

Nice half-quote you have there.
Anyway, it's mostly speculation, although I recall a study on it once. If you're going to pretend it's false because I can't source it then don't reply.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Do you have any actual sources for that claim?

Anyway, it's mostly speculation, although I recall a study on it once. If you're going to pretend it's false because I can't source it then don't reply.

Ah, so your source is rectal-pluck, excellent choice.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Speak for yourself.

he doesn't have a name what are you talking about

Solaray
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Do you have any actual sources for that claim?

I dunno, from my experience, women still base a lot of importance on physical attractiveness. Can't blame em, of course, but it still kinda bites.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Thafoo wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

he doesn't have a name what are you talking about

He has a name, he just couldn't think of it!
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Solaray
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:52 pm

Dakini wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:Nice half-quote you have there.

Excuse you. If rectal plunking is good enough for 90% of the voting population, it should be good enough for you.

Or are you too good for it? Huh? Is Queen Victoria too good for rectal plunked sources?

Okay I think I've taken this bit far enough.
Last edited by Solaray on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Aurora Novus wrote:
Keyboard Warriors wrote:And you don't think viewing someone as a nice set of tits is treating someone as only a sexual object?

No. Why would it be? No more than going to my university class is treating my professor as only an intellectual object.

When people go to Hooters, they are expecting two services. Food service, and a form of sexual service. This is no different from any other scenario, where one goes somewhere expecting a service. Expecting someone to fulfill a service in a particular scenario, and viewing someone as existing only to serve that purpose, are not the same thing.

Aurora Novus wrote:

lol.

Wow.

Obviously you don't, otherwise I suppose you can explain how treating a professor as a source of information robs them of their dignity.
Yes.

Aurora Novus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Dakini wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:

I understand the English language just fine. Apparently you don't, however.

We're all objects. Sexual objects, intellectual objects, and so forth. Objectification isn't a problem, it's when you fail to recognize people as being more than just X object. We are sexual objects, but we are not only sexual objects. We are intellectaul objects, but not only intellectual objects.
Last edited by Aurora Novus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Getrektistan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Getrektistan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Dakini wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:

Dakini wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:Nice half-quote you have there.

Ahhahah, oh shit, I'm literally dying right now

Aurora Novus wrote:
Dakini wrote:I'm sorry that you can't handle the English language.

I understand the English language just fine. Apparently you don't, however.

We're all objects. Sexual objects, intellectual objects, and so forth. Objectification isn't a problem, it's when you fail to recognize people as being more than just X object. We are sexual objects, but we are not only sexual objects. We are intellectaul objects, but not only intellectual objects.

I mean, Hooters clearly treats their waitresses as almost entirely sexual objects, so that could certainly be a problem.
Last edited by Getrektistan on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mushet wrote:That's just a disingenuous equivalance you can't just point a crucifix at somebody and blast their brains out, that's a big difference.

-Arabiyyah- wrote:I don't even understand the insult you are just calling me a spear with meat and onions?

Alyakia wrote:i think you're giving her too much credit for turning a racist extremist party into a racist extremist party except we sorta hide it now

Dakini wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:

Aurora Novus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Keyboard Warriors wrote:Obviously you don't, otherwise I suppose you can explain how treating a professor as a source of information robs them of their dignity.

It robs them of no more dignity than treating someone as a source for sexual gratification does. There are no traits which are objectively superior to one another. Everything is situational, arbitrary, and subjective.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General