NATION

PASSWORD

Anarcho-capitalism and the state

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Liberaxia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Anarcho-capitalism and the state

Postby Liberaxia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Anarcho-capitalism is a political philosophy which maintains that taxation in any form is outright theft. It's adherents advocate for a voluntary society that is free from the meddlesome interference of the state. Skeptics are quick to bring up issues like public schools, welfare, and roads. Anarcho-capitalists have outlined their answers to these matters. Then the skeptic brings up the matter of enforcement and dispute resolution. He asks the ancap how they'd handle these two issues without a government. The ancap is stuck: these things are needed for functioning markets, but establishing a government to handle them would mean taxation. This is, I believe, anarcho-capitalism's largest hurdle in convincing others of the efficacy of their system (I'm sure anarcho-capitalists will agree with me).

The anarcho-capitalist solution to the issue of law enforcement is to have a free market of defense firms and courts. Consumers would contract defense firms for protection and parties with disputes would agree on arbitration before a judge. Defense firms could work out inter-agency agreements on how to arbitrate and handle disputes between their clients. Now, the average Joe at this point will just be dumbfounded. They'd think the anarcho-capitalist has gone completely insane. If they're stubborn, they'll inquire as to how he knows such a system will work. Why wouldn't one company just try to take over the others? What about monopolies? What about the poor? Why wouldn't warlords rush in to fill the power vacuum?

But I've got a more interesting question: What should we call an entity whose clients contract with for the purposes of protection and law enforcement?

Your thoughts?
Last edited by Liberaxia on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Favors: Civil Libertarianism, Constitutional Democratic Republicanism, Multilateralism, Freedom of Commerce, Popular Sovereignty, Intellectual Property, Fiat Currency, Competition Law, Intergovernmentalism, Privacy Rights
Opposes: The Security State, The Police State, Mob Rule, Traditionalism, Theocracy, Monarchism, Paternalism, Religious Law, Debt
Your friendly pro-commerce, anti-market nation.
On libertarians: The ideology whose major problem is the existence of other people with different views.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Private Arbitration Supplier.

Off topic, but seriously, do you have anything better to do than to criticize libertarianism in every thread you make?
Last edited by The Liberated Territories on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Liberaxia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberaxia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:43 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:Private Arbitration Supplier.

Off topic, but seriously, do you have anything better to do than to criticize libertarianism in every thread you make?

Last one, I promise. It's just that I've had a flood of these and I just needed to get them out. I find it an incredibly fascinating topic.
Last edited by Liberaxia on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Favors: Civil Libertarianism, Constitutional Democratic Republicanism, Multilateralism, Freedom of Commerce, Popular Sovereignty, Intellectual Property, Fiat Currency, Competition Law, Intergovernmentalism, Privacy Rights
Opposes: The Security State, The Police State, Mob Rule, Traditionalism, Theocracy, Monarchism, Paternalism, Religious Law, Debt
On libertarians: The ideology whose major problem is the existence of other people with different views.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:54 pm

"Anarcho-capitalism" does not exist, as it is a contradiction of terms. The individuals who refer to themselves as "anarcho-capitalists" are simply neo-feudalists. They support the state, albeit one that doesn't even pretend to exist to ensure the wellbeing of those it rules over, and rather makes quite public the fact that they exist purely to serve the ruling class.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:56 pm

Liberaxia wrote:

Last one, I promise. It's just that I've had a flood of these and I just needed to get them out. I find it an incredibly fascinating topic.

I am not an AnCap, but some libertarian scholars do go into the idea. Here:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Libertari ... er_29.html

For the courts, it's called Polycentric Law. Basically you'll go around and around until one of the parties reaches to an agreement. If the courts would constantly pander to the rich, then they would gain a bad reputation and poorer clients would seek out "social justice" (not literally) courts.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:59 pm

They didn't criticize libertarianism. They are criticizing an overwhelmingly authoritarian proposed society that thankfully would destroy itself.
She/they

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:01 pm

Threlizdun wrote:

They didn't criticize libertarianism. They are criticizing an overwhelmingly authoritarian proposed society that thankfully would destroy itself.

Sorry, forgot to capitalize it.

Oh, and while not being completely voluntaryist, early Pennsylvania was a good example of a primitive form.
Last edited by The Liberated Territories on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Terrakristovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terrakristovia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:08 pm

Liberaxia wrote:=What should we call an entity whose clients contract with for the purposes of protection and law enforcement?

Your thoughts?

I learned about this solution through Stefan Molyneaux's book Practical Anarchy. There he refers to these entities as DROs--Dispute Resolution Organizations. They replace courts and police.
Proud member of the Brīvība Līga (Liberty League) in the NS Senate

Economic Left/Right: 8.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.64

"Wherever a social system produces order and stability, there necessarily is injustice. Wherever a social system produces disorder and chaos, there necessarily is injustice. To say nothing of order and stability, I think capitalism, that is a free society, mitigates injustice the best."
-Christoffer Charles Wojtowicz, Hamline University

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:08 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:They didn't criticize libertarianism. They are criticizing an overwhelmingly authoritarian proposed society that thankfully would destroy itself.

Sorry, forgot to capitalize it.
Doesn't really change anything. Still an incorrect term.
Oh, and while not being completely voluntaryist, early Pennsylvania was a good example of a primitive form.

The ideal "volunyaryist" society involves mass persecution and the strict merging of a vengeful and xenophobic state with violent religious fundamentalism?
Last edited by Threlizdun on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/they

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Threlizdun wrote:Doesn't really change anything. Still an incorrect term.

Actually, it isn't.

lib·er·tar·i·an·ism
ˌlibərˈte(ə)rēəˌnizəm/Submit
noun
an extreme laissez-faire political philosophy advocating only minimal state intervention in the lives of citizens.

That is from Google. Your turn.

The ideal "volunyaryist" society involves mass persecution and the strict merging of a vengeful and xenophobic state with violent religious fundamentalism?

Rofl. Okay, backing away slowly now.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Terrakristovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Terrakristovia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Threlizdun wrote:The ideal "volunyaryist" society involves mass persecution and the strict merging of a vengeful and xenophobic state with violent religious fundamentalism?

The ideal Voluntaryist society doesn't involve any state. Religious fundamentalism is kind of irrelevant to this discussion, since it can exist with or without a state. It's a cultural issue.

"Wherever a social system produces order and stability, there necessarily is injustice. Wherever a social system produces disorder and chaos, there necessarily is injustice. To say nothing of order and stability, I think capitalism, that is a free society, mitigates injustice the best."

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Threlizdun wrote:Doesn't really change anything. Still an incorrect term.

Actually, it isn't.

lib·er·tar·i·an·ism
ˌlibərˈte(ə)rēəˌnizəm/Submit
noun
an extreme laissez-faire political philosophy advocating only minimal state intervention in the lives of citizens.

While this is an overly simplistic explanation of the ideology, it is still one classical liberals and neo-feudalists fail to fulfill. Libertarianism is, and always has been, an ideology tied to opposition of the authoritarianism of the state and capitalism. It is a radical left ideology promoting an egalitarian society that maximizes individual freedoms. It never has been and never will be compatible with capitalism.

Rofl. Okay, backing away slowly now.[/quote]Erm, do you have any idea what life in early Pennsylvania was like? Yes, religious persecution was a major problem that plagued early Pennsylvania.
She/they

Liberaxia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberaxia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:19 pm

Liberaxia wrote:

I am not an AnCap, but some libertarian scholars do go into the idea. Here:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Libertari ... er_29.html

For the courts, it's called Polycentric Law. Basically you'll go around and around until one of the parties reaches to an agreement. If the courts would constantly pander to the rich, then they would gain a bad reputation and poorer clients would seek out "social justice" (not literally) courts.

I'm familiar with the idea, but I'm skeptical of it in that it seems to have been developed by economists who know jack squat about law. I do consider David Friedman one of the more reasonable ones though.
Last edited by Liberaxia on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Terrakristovia wrote:
Liberaxia wrote:=What should we call an entity whose clients contract with for the purposes of protection and law enforcement?

Your thoughts?

I learned about this solution through Stefan Molyneaux's book Practical Anarchy. There he refers to these entities as DROs--Dispute Resolution Organizations. They replace courts and police.

That's an interesting name for Ser Gregor Clegane and his men.
Last edited by Avenio on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liberaxia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberaxia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:22 pm

Terrakristovia wrote:

Your thoughts?

I hope you can understand how it may only seem like a change of name to some.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:22 pm

Terrakristovia wrote:

Your thoughts?

Why do you want to replace the courts and police with something extremely similar?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:23 pm

So, lawyers? I so love your redefining of terms to make your ideas sound revolutionary. :p
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Liberaxia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberaxia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Terrakristovia wrote:

Why do you want to replace the courts and police with something extremely similar?

Replace one Leviathan with another Leviathan.

Terrakristovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Terrakristovia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Threlizdun wrote:Libertarianism is, and always has been, an ideology tied to opposition of the authoritarianism of the state and capitalism. It is a radical left ideology promoting an egalitarian society that maximizes individual freedoms. It never has been and never will be compatible with capitalism.

Capitalism ("the free market") is the natural state the economy (system of trading) would be in if there were no government whatsoever. Nobody had to "invent" capitalism. A free society just tends toward it as the best way of buying and selling things. The less state you have, the more capitalism you have. It's the only econ system that doesn't have to be enforced by a state and therefore the only econ system compatible with libertarianism.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Actually, it isn't.

While this is an overly simplistic explanation of the ideology, it is still one classical liberals and neo-feudalists fail to fulfill. Libertarianism is, and always has been, an ideology tied to opposition of the authoritarianism of the state and capitalism. It is a radical left ideology promoting an egalitarian society that maximizes individual freedoms. It never has been and never will be compatible with capitalism.

Rofl. Okay, backing away slowly now.
[/quote]

Then, if libertarianism was a radical left ideology promoting an egalitarian society that maximizes individual freedoms, how come all the definitions of it online do not subscribe an economical theory or point to something similar to what Google says?

No definition stays the same. Village came from the word "villain," yet nobody uses it as an insult anymore, and there is no definition of village that is like that.
Last edited by The Liberated Territories on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Anarcho-capitalism doesn't work. In other news, water is wet.
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Liberaxia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberaxia » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Terrakristovia wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:Libertarianism is, and always has been, an ideology tied to opposition of the authoritarianism of the state and capitalism. It is a radical left ideology promoting an egalitarian society that maximizes individual freedoms. It never has been and never will be compatible with capitalism.

Capitalism ("the free market") is the natural state the economy (system of trading) would be in if there were no government whatsoever. Nobody had to "invent" capitalism. A free society just tends toward it as the best way of buying and selling things. The less state you have, the more capitalism you have. It's the only econ system that doesn't have to be enforced by a state and therefore the only econ system compatible with libertarianism.

Oh my. Someone needs to read up on their history.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Terrakristovia wrote:

This pretty much. However, I'd contend that basic property rights should be only enforced by the state. Stuff like copyright - naw.
Last edited by The Liberated Territories on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:29 pm

Viritica wrote:Anarcho-capitalism doesn't work. In other news, water is wet.

It sure worked well in Iceland.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:31 pm

Viritica wrote:Anarcho-capitalism doesn't work. In other news, water is wet.

It sure worked well in Iceland.

When the fuck was it used in Iceland?
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General