NATION

PASSWORD

Global Climate Change to render 50% of Earth Uninhabitable

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:08 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Would you feel the same about artificial intelligence?

AIs can be programmed to be loyal to their creators. Xenos can never be trusted.

Eventually AI's will be the ones programming AI's, will you still be comfortable then?
Insert trite farewell here

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:
AIs can be programmed to be loyal to their creators. Xenos can never be trusted.

Eventually AI's will be the ones programming AI's, will you still be comfortable then?

No. Such a practice should be banned for obvious reasons.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:10 pm

Buddha Punk Robot Monks wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I know dolphins are intelligent, but I don't quite get your point. They aren't of equivalent intelligence to humanity, which was what I was talking about.

I think thats debatable and a tad chauvinistic. We can't measure another species intelligence by our own when it has taken a different evolutionary path. Dolphins are certainly as smart as us, however their intelligence is of a different kind.

It's quite obvious that they're less intelligent than us. I've yet to see a dolphin using complex tools or studying quantum physics.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:11 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Eventually AI's will be the ones programming AI's, will you still be comfortable then?

No. Such a practice should be banned for obvious reasons.

It's doubtful that it will be, however.

Buddha Punk Robot Monks
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Buddha Punk Robot Monks » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:11 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Buddha Punk Robot Monks wrote:I think thats debatable and a tad chauvinistic. We can't measure another species intelligence by our own when it has taken a different evolutionary path. Dolphins are certainly as smart as us, however their intelligence is of a different kind.

That's such a cop out. We can't judge them on our standards of intelligence because they aren't us. Intelligence produces culture and technology. Dolphins are certainly very clever animals but there is a big gap between clever and intelligent. If they were intelligent, where's the tools? Monkeys use tools, and some jackass has even been teaching them start fires. (Which IMO is a huge mistake. Mastery of fire jumpstarted the development of our brains because it makes meat easier to eat and digest, causing the muscles we use to chew to shrink which allowed our skulls to expand and our brains to develop further.)

Dolphins don't have opposable thumbs, so they can't use tools. They do use sponges to protect their noses from urchins, and they are the only other species that uses recreational drugs.

Plus in dolphin language words amount to sound pictures since they use sonar to speak.So they're language is vastly sophisticated and almost unfathomable to us symbol-bound humans,
We are a nation of Buddhist robots that survived the death of humans dedicated to undoing the destruction of the environment caused by human hubris.

Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00

Gandhi closest.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
52% Cosmopolitan
60% Secular
101% Visionary
91% Anarchistic
107% Pacifist
157% Ecological

0 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 0 percent are more extremist than you.

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/

I'm a Buddheo-Christian vegan liberationist liturgist.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Not surprised, and I wouldn't be surprised if people continue to act stupid, lazy and idiotic and don't try to fix things before its too late.

I just want to be there when shit goes down, so lets get to that immortality serum first, then the space shit, with the former we at least let some people see what goes down and track how fucked or how saved the species is.

......Am I promising some sort of Illuminati survival thingy now?

:Shrugs:

All I know is that I want my ticket to Mars.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
That's such a cop out. We can't judge them on our standards of intelligence because they aren't us. Intelligence produces culture and technology. Dolphins are certainly very clever animals but there is a big gap between clever and intelligent. If they were intelligent, where's the tools? Monkeys use tools, and some jackass has even been teaching them start fires. (Which IMO is a huge mistake. Mastery of fire jumpstarted the development of our brains because it makes meat easier to eat and digest, causing the muscles we use to chew to shrink which allowed our skulls to expand and our brains to develop further.)

Dolphins don't have opposable thumbs, so they can't use tools. They do use sponges to protect their noses from urchins, and they are the only other species that uses recreational drugs.

Plus in dolphin language words amount to sound pictures since they use sonar to speak.So they're language is vastly sophisticated and almost unfathomable to us symbol-bound humans,

You lost me at dolphin language. All I'm wondering right now is what dolphin tastes like.
Go Vikings.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:14 pm

Blazedtown wrote:

Your starting to sound a tad hypocritical there buddy.
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:15 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Not surprised, and I wouldn't be surprised if people continue to act stupid, lazy and idiotic and don't try to fix things before its too late.

I just want to be there when shit goes down, so lets get to that immortality serum first, then the space shit, with the former we at least let some people see what goes down and track how fucked or how saved the species is.

Do you drive a gas-guzzling car and use a lot of electricity?
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Buddha Punk Robot Monks
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Buddha Punk Robot Monks » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:16 pm

Viritica wrote:
Buddha Punk Robot Monks wrote:That's basically saying living things are only worth respect if they can make cool stuff.

And yes we are hurting animals, what with loss of habitat, factory farms, vivisectionist labs, the list goes on. And we're doing very little to protect them, not when their primary needs (to live and survive) can always can always be sacrificed to our wants (to eat meat, wear fur, etc).

I'm sorry, but it seems to me that all animals in the wild do is kill each other. A lion will chase a gazelle down and rip out its throat.

A bear will rip it's prey to shreds and start eating it while it's still alive.

And anaconda will literally squeeze the life out of its prey and swallow it whole.

So yes, if I wanna have a fucking hamburger I'm gonna have a fucking hamburger. We do a lot more for them than they do for each other.

We're more intelligent than they are and we're at the top of the food chain.

Ah well here I'll probably lose you because I don't care what the world is like because Jesus told us that the Kingdom of God is coming and in the Kingdom the lamb will lay down with the lion and no one or animal will harm each other because all will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord.

You may think it unrational but all animals, including us, are meant to be at peace with one another.
We are a nation of Buddhist robots that survived the death of humans dedicated to undoing the destruction of the environment caused by human hubris.

Gandhi closest.
52% Cosmopolitan
60% Secular
101% Visionary
91% Anarchistic
107% Pacifist
157% Ecological

0 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 0 percent are more extremist than you.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:17 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Not surprised, and I wouldn't be surprised if people continue to act stupid, lazy and idiotic and don't try to fix things before its too late.

Follow the Georgia guidestones! :p

But no, there are far more practical things we can do.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:17 pm

Viritica wrote:I'm sorry, but it seems to me that all animals in the wild do is kill each other. A lion will chase a gazelle down and rip out its throat.

And anaconda will literally squeeze the life out of its prey and swallow it whole.

So yes, if I wanna have a fucking hamburger I'm gonna have a fucking hamburger. We do a lot more for them than they do for each other.

Ah well here I'll probably lose you because I don't care what the world is like because Jesus told us that the Kingdom of God is coming and in the Kingdom the lamb will lay down with the lion and no one or animal will harm each other because all will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord.

You may think it unrational but all animals, including us, are meant to be at peace with one another.

Animals aren't "meant" to do anything, not even us.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:18 pm

Viritica wrote:

Do you drive a gas-guzzling car and use a lot of electricity?

Why do you ask?

The electricity thing is a bit of a tricky thing, I don't sleep much but basically I usually just keep my rooms lighting on and all that.

When I do sleep, excluding a few times, I have only the fan on to keep me cool because otherwise it gets really fucking hot and all that and shit.
/// A.N.N. \\\

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Viritica wrote:I'm sorry, but it seems to me that all animals in the wild do is kill each other. A lion will chase a gazelle down and rip out its throat.

I am at piece with the animals. In the sense that there are pieces of them on my grill.
Go Vikings.

Buddha Punk Robot Monks
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Buddha Punk Robot Monks » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Buddha Punk Robot Monks wrote:I think thats debatable and a tad chauvinistic. We can't measure another species intelligence by our own when it has taken a different evolutionary path. Dolphins are certainly as smart as us, however their intelligence is of a different kind.

It's quite obvious that they're less intelligent than us. I've yet to see a dolphin using complex tools or studying quantum physics.

They are not physiologically equipped to use tools, so tool using can't very well be a good measure of their intelligence. And, until we learn to communicate with them, we can't be sure how advanced their mathmatics, philosophies or religion are.

Gandhi closest.
52% Cosmopolitan
60% Secular
101% Visionary
91% Anarchistic
107% Pacifist
157% Ecological

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:21 pm

:rofl:

Does the food chain mean anything to you? If god wanted us to be at peace with each other why did he create lions and tigers and bears (oh my) as carnivores and omnivores? Why not just create them all as herbivores?

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Scomagia wrote:It's quite obvious that they're less intelligent than us. I've yet to see a dolphin using complex tools or studying quantum physics.

They are not physiologically equipped to use tools, so tool using can't very well be a good measure of their intelligence. And, until we learn to communicate with them, we can't be sure how advanced their mathmatics, philosophies or religion are.

Yeah...we can judge pretty easily by testing the damn animals.

Dolphins are smart no doubt, but they are not even a visible speck of as smart as a Human.
/// A.N.N. \\\

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
Viritica wrote:Do you drive a gas-guzzling car and use a lot of electricity?

Why do you ask?

The electricity thing is a bit of a tricky thing, I don't sleep much but basically I usually just keep my rooms lighting on and all that.

When I do sleep, excluding a few times, I have only the fan on to keep me cool because otherwise it gets really fucking hot and all that and shit.

Because I get tired of people saying "stop being stupid and greedy and do stuff now" when they drive their gas-powered cars and then go home and turn on every light in their house and crank up the a/c when it gets hot.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Buddha Punk Robot Monks wrote:Ah well here I'll probably lose you because I don't care what the world is like because Jesus told us that the Kingdom of God is coming and in the Kingdom the lamb will lay down with the lion and no one or animal will harm each other because all will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord.

Animals aren't "meant" to do anything, not even us.

I must disagree with you there. Animals are intended to be delicious.
Viritica wrote:Do you drive a gas-guzzling car and use a lot of electricity?

Why do you ask?

He seems to think everyone posting in this thread about how bad shit is are a big part of the problem.
Go Vikings.

Buddha Punk Robot Monks
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Buddha Punk Robot Monks » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Your starting to sound a tad hypocritical there buddy.
I meant complex tools, sorry.

Gandhi closest.
52% Cosmopolitan
60% Secular
101% Visionary
91% Anarchistic
107% Pacifist
157% Ecological

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Buddha Punk Robot Monks wrote:Ah well here I'll probably lose you because I don't care what the world is like because Jesus told us that the Kingdom of God is coming and in the Kingdom the lamb will lay down with the lion and no one or animal will harm each other because all will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord.

I am at piece with the animals. In the sense that there are pieces of them on my grill.

You. You're a funny man.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Scomagia wrote:It's quite obvious that they're less intelligent than us. I've yet to see a dolphin using complex tools or studying quantum physics.

I'll reluctantly concede on tool usage, however we don't need to communicate with them to know that they do not have complex knowledge like we do, it's blatantly obvious.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Animals aren't "meant" to do anything, not even us.

I must disagree with you there. Animals are intended to be delicious.
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Why do you ask?

He seems to think everyone posting in this thread about how bad shit is are a big part of the problem.

I don't think they're a big part of anything. I just get tired of these Eco people being hypocritical.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:24 pm

Buddha Punk Robot Monks wrote:They are not physiologically equipped to use tools, so tool using can't very well be a good measure of their intelligence. And, until we learn to communicate with them, we can't be sure how advanced their mathmatics, philosophies or religion are.

Yeah...we can judge pretty easily by testing the damn animals.

Dolphins are smart no doubt, but they are not even a visible speck of as smart as a Human.

I wish they were though. I don't think it does humanity any good to be the only intelligent species we have contact with. It's a bit like me hiding in my apartment.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Scomagia wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Yeah...we can judge pretty easily by testing the damn animals.

I wish they were though. I don't think it does humanity any good to be the only intelligent species we have contact with. It's a bit like me hiding in my apartment.

All the more reason to bring back the Orion Project.
Go Vikings.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General