NATION

PASSWORD

Land ownership debate

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:35 am

North Yakistan wrote:You know I'm interested to hear YOUR answers, who says who oes what according to you?

I don't think anyone had the authority to seize these commonly owned resources as their own.
Last edited by Conscentia on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Divair2
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair2 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:50 am

Death Metal wrote:
North Yakistan wrote:Well I have to work but ill be back in a few hours. Pick up then

Enjoy those federal reserve notes made possible by the US treasury!
And that clean air regulated by EPA emission standards!
And use of tools and equipment delivered to you by publicly maintained infrastructure!

And many of those tools developed by US govt-sponsored research.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:08 am

If you own the land, it's yours.

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:42 am

Wind in the Willows wrote:If you own the land, it's yours.

Because the goverment recognises it as yours.
I've retired from the forums.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:45 am

Cetacea wrote:Yes it is exploitive

On what basis do you claim greater right to the land than you're cousin has? Why should your cousin not have equal access and use of the land and its produce? You did not produce the land so why do you own it? and in the end if your cousin or anyone else did decide to chop down a tree, build a house and hunt a deer how would you stop him?

This is, of course, based upon the false premises that fairness (and perhaps, by extension, equality) is the same as justice, and that all people have fair claims to land.

I'm on an anti-Rawls kick right now.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:32 am

North Yakistan wrote:Yesterday myself and Dejanic got in an arguement on the Che thread about private land ownership and decided to move it to avoid hijacking the thread. I will be arguing from a Right anarchist position based on the non-Agression principal and homesteading. I assume Dejanic will argue some form of Marxism.

Let me start with a statement and a question.

My family jointly owns 280 Acres of timber and farmland. It's used only for hunting and recreation except for an area rented to our cousin for farming. I'd this exceptable? Is our renting of land somehow exploitive?

i think its a good idea. consider for a moment the world of hurt we would be in in this political environment if the government owned all the land and rich people could spend whatever they like buying politicians.
whatever

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:14 am

It's not exploitative to own land. An argument could be made that that land was ultimately stolen from native Americans if it's in the western hemisphere, but the statute of limitations has expired on that.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:28 am

Wind in the Willows wrote:If you own the land, it's yours.

argument; see circular.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:29 am

What's wrong with having land for recreation?

If you legally own it then go right ahead.
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:44 am

Saiwania wrote:I'd say that technically speaking, the government of whichever sovereign nation you live in indirectly "owns" all of the land, even when it is privately owned, in which case it is merely leased. If you don't pay property taxes on it every year, it will get taken away.

property taxes are not federal taxes, they are state taxes and not every state has them.
the government does not own all land, it does not own land you own.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:31 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Saiwania wrote:I'd say that technically speaking, the government of whichever sovereign nation you live in indirectly "owns" all of the land, even when it is privately owned, in which case it is merely leased. If you don't pay property taxes on it every year, it will get taken away.

property taxes are not federal taxes, they are state taxes and not every state has them.
the government does not own all land, it does not own land you own.

Land is not owned only 'land titles' and all land title grants in fee simple are tenurial titles granted by the governments (state or federal). Other than Nevada alloidal title is not recognised in the US and Eminent domain puts a limitation on all land ownership as do government rights of taxation, enforcemnt and escheat

Joseph Raymond McCarthy
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Joseph Raymond McCarthy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:23 pm

North Yakistan wrote:
Death Metal wrote:
Irrelevant. "If I didn't sign something, I didn't agree to anything" Is not how contracts work.

Do you think it's okay to order a hamburger at a restaurant, eat it, and then leave without paying?

I still don't see how if I'm not using the services I still have to pay. If I never leave my land or call the cops how am I using government service?

You live within the borders of the area under the jurisdiction of the military. The military defends this territory from foreign invasion, you are using the services of the military.

Pay your taxes. Taxes are not theft, they are the price of civilized society.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Joseph Raymond McCarthy wrote:
North Yakistan wrote:
I still don't see how if I'm not using the services I still have to pay. If I never leave my land or call the cops how am I using government service?

You live within the borders of the area under the jurisdiction of the military. The military defends this territory from foreign invasion, you are using the services of the military.

Pay your taxes. Taxes are not theft, they are the price of civilized society.

Oops, wrong account. That post was mine.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:34 pm

North Yakistan wrote:Yesterday myself and Dejanic got in an arguement on the Che thread about private land ownership and decided to move it to avoid hijacking the thread. I will be arguing from a Right anarchist position based on the non-Agression principal and homesteading. I assume Dejanic will argue some form of Marxism.

Let me start with a statement and a question.

My family jointly owns 280 Acres of timber and farmland. It's used only for hunting and recreation except for an area rented to our cousin for farming. I'd this exceptable? Is our renting of land somehow exploitive?

it is exploitative in a sense if there is a power imbalance between you and your cousin that forces your cousin to have little other choice but to accept, even though the benefits to you are overwhelmingly greater than the benefit to your cousin.

The less there is of the above, the less exploitative the scenario.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. If your cousin's desperate enough, he has no choice but to be exploited and being exploited may be the best thing to happen to him.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General