NATION

PASSWORD

Why Robespierre lost his head! France needed Napoleon?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Was Napoleon necessary to fix France?

Yes! Viva Emperor! The House of Bonaparte must live on!
59%
The French monarchy shouldn't have spent so much money on the American colony in the first place! Revolution was unnecessary.
21%
No, another answer I will explain to you.
21%

Total votes : 39

Shie
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Why Robespierre lost his head! France needed Napoleon?

Postby Shie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:40 am

Arras, France. Robespierre was a radical Jacobin leader and one of the principal figures in the French Revolution. In the latter months of 1793 he came to dominate the Committee of Public Safety, the principal organ of the Revolutionary government during the Reign of Terror, but in 1794 he was overthrown and guillotined.

This is when Napoleon entered France and caused prosperity. Napoleon revitalized the french military and had a brilliant code of law. He gained territory for France and had great values for his time.

Did France need him?

Last edited by Shie on Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:56 am

Of course. But I'm only saying that because midgets are hilarious.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:05 pm

Blazedtown wrote:Of course. But I'm only saying that because midgets are hilarious.

Napoleon was around 5 feet 7 inches in height.
Insert trite farewell here

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:08 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:Of course. But I'm only saying that because midgets are hilarious.

I prefer historical stereotypes to facts.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:09 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Napoleon was around 5 feet 7 inches in height.

I prefer historical stereotypes to facts.

Don't we all.
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

Oba Shembo
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Oba Shembo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:34 pm

Yes. Napoleon was the Hitler of France. Well, in that he fixed its economy, not exterminating all the people, but he did turn it around. Not a great metaphor, but he did fix it and turn it into a great power. A bit like Lenin to Russia.
Last edited by Oba Shembo on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TG me - I love to talk about anything.
Now with added 'Berzinger'!
Impeach King Llethan, Legalise poisoning, Slavery is theft - Hlaalu Helseth 2017

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:39 pm

Robespierre lost his head for being a tyrant who killed thousands in a prolonged excuse of a government which was nothing more than an orgy of violence gone mad. Sure France needed a leader but being authoritarian wasn't necessary at all rather a transition to an actual elective government instead of flip flopping back and forth.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Islamic republiq of Julundar
Envoy

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic republiq of Julundar » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Benuty wrote:Robespierre lost his head for being a tyrant who killed thousands in a prolonged excuse of a government which was nothing more than an orgy of violence gone mad. Sure France needed a leader but being authoritarian wasn't necessary at all rather a transition to an actual elective government instead of flip flopping back and forth.

Authoritarian :blink: Robespierre was elected for a due term. Emperor Napoleon ruled for life.

Robespierre was a Jacobin, Montagnard; the Girondin Monarchists organized a counter Revolution which inevitably led to Military Dictatorship.

Yes. Once the Girondin Monarchists won their counter-Revolution, it was Historically inevitable that a Military strong Man would seize the Power. BUT I disagree that Girondin victory was inevitable.

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Oba Shembo wrote:Yes. Napoleon was the Hitler of France. Well, in that he fixed its economy, not exterminating all the people, but he did turn it around. Not a great metaphor, but he did fix it and turn it into a great power. A bit like Lenin to Russia.

He did not "Fix" France. France was a great power long before Napoleon took the reins. It was obviously rivaled at various times by England, Spain and the Holy Roman Empire but it's not as if France was backwards by the standards of the time.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:55 pm

Benuty wrote:Robespierre lost his head for being a tyrant who killed thousands in a prolonged excuse of a government which was nothing more than an orgy of violence gone mad. Sure France needed a leader but being authoritarian wasn't necessary at all rather a transition to an actual elective government instead of flip flopping back and forth.

Danton would have been better. *nods*
I've retired from the forums.

Nervium
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:57 pm

Olivaero wrote:
Oba Shembo wrote:Yes. Napoleon was the Hitler of France. Well, in that he fixed its economy, not exterminating all the people, but he did turn it around. Not a great metaphor, but he did fix it and turn it into a great power. A bit like Lenin to Russia.

He did not "Fix" France. France was a great power long before Napoleon took the reins. It was obviously rivaled at various times by England, Spain and the Holy Roman Empire but it's not as if France was backwards by the standards of the time.

People seem to forget France was in an economic crisis before and during the French Revolution
the fact that the clergy and nobility didn't have to pay taxes (sheesh, where have we heard this before, hmm) only prolonged the crisis and planted seed for revolution.

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:02 pm

Scomagia wrote:

Let's not forget that 5'7'' is still really short. :)
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

Nervium
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Margno wrote:

It's about average for late 18th, early 19th century standards.
He was only portrayed as short because of his low background and military rank, that's fuel for cartooning.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Islamic republiq of Julundar wrote:

Authoritarian :blink: Robespierre was elected for a due term. Emperor Napoleon ruled for life.

Robespierre was a Jacobin, Montagnard; the Girondin Monarchists organized a counter Revolution which inevitably led to Military Dictatorship.

Yes. Once the Girondin Monarchists won their counter-Revolution, it was Historically inevitable that a Military strong Man would seize the Power. BUT I disagree that Girondin victory was inevitable.

The Jacobin's do not care for elected governments.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Islamic republiq of Julundar wrote:

Emperor Napoleon ruled for life.

No, he ruled for about 10 years.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Nervium wrote:
Olivaero wrote:He did not "Fix" France. France was a great power long before Napoleon took the reins. It was obviously rivaled at various times by England, Spain and the Holy Roman Empire but it's not as if France was backwards by the standards of the time.

People seem to forget France was in an economic crisis before and during the French Revolution
the fact that the clergy and nobility didn't have to pay taxes (sheesh, where have we heard this before, hmm) only prolonged the crisis and planted seed for revolution.

And?

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Scomagia wrote:

That sounds pretty tall.

Nervium
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Olivaero wrote:
Nervium wrote:

And?

Well, you said it was a great power.
A great power that couldn't pay it's own standing army. The entire structure was crumbling before Napoleon took power. (Or even before the revolution)

The Fascist American Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist American Empire » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:33 pm

I don't care what anybody says, Napoléon Bonaparte was the greatest, wisest, most respected, and all around best leader this planet has ever had. True, he was kind of forced to invade Russia in the winter, but look at all that he accomplished before those English bastards ruined everything!

Americans, hands off Ukraine and let Russia do what they will in their own sphere of influence! You are not the world's police!
You obviously do since you posted a response like the shifty little red velvet pseudo ant you are. Yes I am onto your little tricks you hissing pest you exoskeleton brier patch you. Now crawl back in to that patch of grass you call hell and hiss some more. -Benuty
[quote="Arkandros";p="20014230"]

RIP Eli Waller
Race! It is a feeling, not a reality: ninety-five percent, at least, is a feeling. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today. -Benito Mussolini

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Nervium wrote:
Olivaero wrote:And?

A great power that couldn't pay it's own standing army. The entire structure was crumbling before Napoleon took power. (Or even before the revolution)

You would challenge the assertion that it was a great power?

Nervium
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:36 pm

The Fascist American Empire wrote:I don't care what anybody says, Napoléon Bonaparte was the greatest, wisest, most respected, and all around best leader this planet has ever had. True, he was kind of forced to invade Russia in the winter, but look at all that he accomplished before those English bastards ruined everything!

He killed off opposition members. He limited the freedom of his citizens. He abolished slavery only to reinstate it at a later point and then acts surprised when he can't get back Haiti. He basically operated a police state (although, to be fair, he wasn't the only monarch to do that)

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Margno wrote:

"Short" is a relative term.

Nervium
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:37 pm

Olivaero wrote:
Nervium wrote:

You would challenge the assertion that it was a great power?

When Napoleon received it, no, it mostly took back it's power.
At the beginning of the revolution, yes.

The Fascist American Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist American Empire » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Margno wrote:

Actually, back then it was a little on the tall side. It was however, short for a statesman.

Americans, hands off Ukraine and let Russia do what they will in their own sphere of influence! You are not the world's police!
You obviously do since you posted a response like the shifty little red velvet pseudo ant you are. Yes I am onto your little tricks you hissing pest you exoskeleton brier patch you. Now crawl back in to that patch of grass you call hell and hiss some more. -Benuty
[quote="Arkandros";p="20014230"]

RIP Eli Waller
Race! It is a feeling, not a reality: ninety-five percent, at least, is a feeling. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today. -Benito Mussolini

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Nervium wrote:
Olivaero wrote:You would challenge the assertion that it was a great power?

When Napoleon received it, no, it mostly took back it's power.
At the beginning of the revolution, yes.

At the beginning of the Revolution it had some structural flaws sure but I wouldn't put it out of great power status because of them. However I was mainly taking exception with the assertion that Napoleon was some transformative figure like Lenin however. The legwork of reforming France had already been done by others before he took the reins.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General