NATION

PASSWORD

Jesus > Mao in China

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Jesus > Mao in China

Postby Murkwood » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:57 pm

So Foreign Policy just released this fascinating analysis of terms on Weibo, the Chinese Twitter, it shows that Christian terms far outweigh Communist ones, in a country where the government has tried ever so hard to make the government the religion.

In light of this and many other developments, do you, NSG, think China will release it's stranglehold on religion, which is all pretty much state run? Or will they crack down more? I believe the former. Christianity and Buddhism, wether the government likes it or not, isn't going away soon. I also think the Xi Jingping has made many strides towards more freedom in China, which is commendable.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Dejanic
Senator

Founded: Nov 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dejanic » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:00 pm

The government in China doesn't exactly support Communism either you know. It's probably as widely reviled as Jesus. This isn't news.

Will China release its hold on Christianity and other religions? No, because they don't have to. The have no state bigger than them to demand such democratic reforms. China is the biggest and toughest kid in the playground, they're untouchable.

Also, the "growth" of Christianity in China is largely exaggerated. I don't think its coincidental that one only seems to find these "statistics" on the blog posts of American Christians.
Last edited by Dejanic on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:11 pm

Dejanic wrote:The government in China doesn't exactly support Communism either you know. It's probably as widely reviled as Jesus. This isn't news.

Will China release its hold on Christianity and other religions? No, because they don't have to. The have no state bigger than them to demand such democratic reforms. China is the biggest and toughest kid in the playground, they're untouchable.

Also, the "growth" of Christianity in China is largely exaggerated. I don't think its coincidental that one only seems to find these "statistics" on the blog posts of American Christians.

It's not like you can trust the Chinese government to faithfully report the statistics.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:38 pm

The graph, for those who can't reach it:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/files/fp_u ... oFinal.png

Divusia
Envoy

Founded: May 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Divusia » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:49 pm

It can't and it won't.

If it did, imagine the influence the Dalai Lama would have on Tibet. Archbishops would condemn government brutality. People would revolt.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Divusia wrote:It can't and it won't.

If it did, imagine the influence the Dalai Lama would have on Tibet. Archbishops would condemn government brutality. People would revolt.

Their grip on the populace is weakening, however.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Well, it'd be interesting if suddenly China got the South Korea effect.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Herskerstad wrote:Well, it'd be interesting if suddenly China got the South Korea effect.

Elaborate.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:53 pm

The Chinese government disassociated itself from Mao long ago. They're just another dictatorship now.
Last edited by Geilinor on Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:53 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:Well, it'd be interesting if suddenly China got the South Korea effect.

Elaborate.

Opan Gangnam Style!

No?
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:54 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Murkwood wrote:Elaborate.

Opan Gangnam Style!

No?

No.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:55 pm

Is that the "so tired of hearing about North Korea every day we don't care anymore" effect?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Murkwood wrote:

Elaborate.

Demographically since the liberation from Imperial Japan, South Korea experienced a huge growth in Christianity which is still ongoing.

China is in a peculiar position given the government censorship and repressions of religions at large. 'somewhat dejure, but evidently defacto' No place has this been more apparent than in the media, but the internet is gradually changing the battlefield of ideas and ideals. If at some time it liberalizes fully, then the influx of Christian ideals could start a snowball effect as it has already reached the cultural level.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Herskerstad wrote:

Demographically since the liberation from Imperial Japan, South Korea experienced a huge growth in Christianity which is still ongoing.

China is in a peculiar position given the government censorship and repressions of religions at large. 'somewhat dejure, but evidently defacto' No place has this been more apparent than in the media, but the internet is gradually changing the battlefield of ideas and ideals. If at some time it liberalizes fully, then the influx of Christian ideals could start a snowball effect as it has already reached the cultural level.

The snowball seems to have already started. 60 million Christians is a lot.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:08 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:

We are talking around 1 billion Chinese and there are a lot of factors at play. If China was to liberalize instantly, and if there was to be a consorted effort among the religious factors in North America and Europe. 'Ie, pope visiting, legalizing the bible, ensuring that proselytizing becomes multi-layered throughout the media of the nation' then yes. It would be a fair chance of it hitting big time, as China is far more ideal theologically for this than say India.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:11 pm

The Chinese government has distanced itself from Mao for quite awhile now.

I mean one of the things that caused Bo Xilai to gain so many enemies in the government was promoting pro-Mao, red culture incentives.

Hollorous
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hollorous » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:

60 million? The number I usually see is about 35 million.

Although I did see a Christian site once that claimed 200 million followers.

Aren't numbers subjective and fun?

Hollorous
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hollorous » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:13 pm

Napkiraly wrote:The Chinese government has distanced itself from Mao for quite awhile now.

I mean one of the things that caused Bo Xilai to gain so many enemies in the government was promoting pro-Mao, red culture incentives.

I think it's more that the government has distanced itself from Mao's policies. His face is still on the money, merchandise, and plenty of movies are made about him. Anything that smells like the Cultural Revolution though (i.e. the period where the Communist Party lost control of the country) gets stamped out or, at the very least, is portrayed as a mistake, as a public disorder, etc...

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Hollorous wrote:
Murkwood wrote:The snowball seems to have already started. 60 million Christians is a lot.

60 million? The number I usually see is about 35 million.

Although I did see a Christian site once that claimed 200 million followers.

Aren't numbers subjective and fun?

I think the Chinese government itself has a history of dressing up numbers, added to censorship, which again adds to demographical settings as it still has a somewhat antagonizing view on Christianity. I doubt it is quite as low as 35 million, I can pretty much guarantee it is not as high as 200, but for me it is mostly about what will happen in the next 2 decades. As part of the South Korea effect was that traditional religions came under extreme scrutiny and was largely repressed 'and partially replaced' by the imperial Japanese, yet when that effect was gone and the nation was wholesomely exposed to the west, unlike the north which still continued a similar trend as the imperial Japanese on the religious front, had a huge growth of Christianity instead of just a resurgence of the traditional religions, and it may very well become the most adhered to religion in the nation in the future.

In a similar way I think the Chinese government stands pragmatic enough to reform and it likely will in the future, as protests are more common in that nation ever since their environmental 'great smog of China' got unleashed. While google may have been shut down, the effects of it's exposure has had significant effects on the general populace, as has western media which is partially due to why Christian terminology is becoming more significant, but as it stands the average Chinese in China know virtually nothing about Jesus in the same sense we may have a lose idea of who Confucius is, but with the demographically setting, the cultural impact, the softening takes on religion by the state after high repression, it may potentially be the most attractive place for missionaries all over the world both for the man on the street and the man on the internet. A lot of this presupposes that China will lessen some of it's rather crude practices of state-run religious authorities, but if anything palpable to the South Korea effect would take place in China, it would have a tremendous impact on western-east relations and potentially become the single greatest proselytizing campaign so far in history.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:04 pm

People in China aren't the brainwashed communists that they're stereotypically made out to be. Communism isn't a common topic discussed. Plus, the pope has been making the news often in China as well, so no wonder people would search him up online.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:12 pm

Murkwood wrote:So Foreign Policy just released this fascinating analysis of terms on Weibo, the Chinese Twitter, it shows that Christian terms far outweigh Communist ones, in a country where the government has tried ever so hard to make the government the religion.

In light of this and many other developments, do you, NSG, think China will release it's stranglehold on religion, which is all pretty much state run? Or will they crack down more? I believe the former. Christianity and Buddhism, wether the government likes it or not, isn't going away soon. I also think the Xi Jingping has made many strides towards more freedom in China, which is commendable.

Oh my god, Jesus Christ, these communists likes to say Christian terms instead of communist ones. Sweet holy Mary. I mean, just holy shit.
Last edited by Norstal on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Nierr
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nierr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:17 pm

Murkwood wrote:
Divusia wrote:It can't and it won't.

Their grip on the populace is weakening, however.

According to who exactly?

Divusia
Envoy

Founded: May 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Divusia » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:17 pm

Ainin wrote:People in China aren't the brainwashed communists that they're stereotypically made out to be. Communism isn't a common topic discussed. Plus, the pope has been making the news often in China as well, so no wonder people would search him up online.

I'm pretty sure China blocks the pope out as "a foreign power" ever since they cut relations with the Holy See.
Last edited by Divusia on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:32 pm

Herskerstad wrote:

Protestantism is controversial in Korea and on the decline. Catholicism is seeing only modest growth.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:00 am

Arumdaum wrote:
Herskerstad wrote:

Protestantism is controversial in Korea and on the decline. Catholicism is seeing only modest growth.

I think you're a notch wrong on that assessment. Protestantism is having a mild growth despite the mid 2000-2010 controversies in which it suffered a statistical setback, and is now behaving generally more amicably by co-integrating. Though there will be larger issues going that much is coming with a form of prosperity gospel which always will have a backlash come first major recession. The Catholics are less likely to suffer from this and have had an overall stable and impressive growth to boot as these things do not turn on a dime.

Still, the nation is essentially divided into 3 camps. You have the buddhist and traditionals on one side, which are becoming the clear minorities although still sizeable. The Christians which is a growing and more sizeable minority, and then the atheistic/agnostic/apathetic camp which is roughly just under half the population making it the largest camp as it stands.

However should the growth continue on it's average 'it likely won't' I'd say it would take a generation and around a half to become the majority of the 3 sectors.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General