NATION

PASSWORD

Does True Feminism Exist Anymore?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:38 am

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:
Camicon wrote:I never contested that physical ability is important in military combat roles. I contested your assertion that such requirements were lowered for women who want to serve on the front lines. That has never been the case in the USA. By the way, your source fails to mention a single woman that was killed by an enemy combatant in open conflict. Of all the causes of death mentioned, not a single one involved shooting at and being shot by an enemy combatant.
The judicial system, like everything else in society, suffers from a systemic discriminatory bias against women and minorities, in almost all cases. And while you are correct that the percentages of men and women completing post-secondary education has changed dramatically, what should be of note is that the workforce does not reflect this dynamic.
You seem to be confusing the term "physically fit" with "fit". The first refers to physical ability. The second refers to one's overall ability. Overall ability is what matters. The physically less-able firefighter may be a more able firefighter overall than their muscle-bound companion, due to that fact that firefighting involves far more than chopping down doors with axes, and hauling dead weight for fifty-some yards (also, we don't live in a meritocracy).
If you absorb news without critically examining it, regardless of the source, then your perceptions and opinions of many things (essentially everything) will be horribly distorted. MSNBC is as biased as FOX, though in a different way. Neither can be taken at face value (though MSNBC slightly moreso than FOX, who has had longer to hone their bullshit-fu). No, it isn't necessarily a left-right thing, but through the red-blue-and-white glasses that American media views the world, reality has a distinctly "left" bent to it.

Damn...MSNBC convinced me that Iraq War was fought for oil.

Well, it certainly wasn't fought for the reasons given by the Bush administration.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Ordinary People
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ordinary People » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:38 am

r/mensrights is *that way*, yo.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:40 am

Camicon wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:Equality = Equalism
Feminism =/= Equalism
Feminism's name by itself gives the perception of entitlement, whilst Equalism considers that no one is entitled. That it the key difference.

Feminism gives the perception of entitlement only to the ignorant, as you aptly displayed yourself to be, by demonstrating a lack of understanding of the word "synonym".

That's all good and all, but Feminism is still derived from the word female. And Equalism is derived from the word equal.
Tell me again which one is entitlement without the sneaky flame?
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:40 am

Camicon wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Damn...MSNBC convinced me that Iraq War was fought for oil.

Well, it certainly wasn't fought for the reasons given by the Bush administration.

True.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Ordinary People
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ordinary People » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:41 am

Page wrote:
Wind in the Willows wrote:
You're so funny. Not.

Seriously every MRA is just a bitter virgin .

r/mensrights user survey

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:42 am

Camicon wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Damn...MSNBC convinced me that Iraq War was fought for oil.

Man bush sucked, though Obama almost makes me kinda miss the GWB. That said, still waiting for you to tell me who the good reasonable feminists are (or rather the big name good feminists). No rush I'm just really curious as to whom I should listen if i want to hear from "true feminists". ;)

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:43 am

I'm always amused by the fact that the people that are most 'concerned' about feminism are almost always the people that know the least about it, are the least interested in its goals and the most concerned with hijacking its progressive aims and co-opting it away from dealing with real systemic issues of gender, class and social hierarchies and towards indulging the pet causes of the very people that perpetuate those systemic problems.

Well, amused may not be the right word. Unsurprised by the predictability, maybe? Browbeaten into absolute and utter indifference at the Usual Suspects complaining about things like how feminism can't possibly be egalitarian because it has the word 'fem' in it, 200 years of literature and theory be damned? Something like that.
Last edited by Avenio on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:45 am

Well, gender quotas can be an effective tool in producing better social outcomes. There's this paper by Esther Duflo (2004) which analyses the imposition of gender quotas in local governments in rural India. The paper estimates that the quotas were associated with more policies that took into consideration problems that commonly affect women and children (such as access to water, child health, etc.). It's correlated with less satisfaction with government, but it's difficult to disentangle the implication that "these women are less effective leaders" (because of lower human capital development on average) from "the respondents are biased against female leaders". The latter is what the paper concludes is more probable.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:46 am

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:
God Kefka wrote:
so long as women aren't ready to accept their place in the world, feminism will continue in some form or another I think...

WHAT?! Nobody has a place in life defined by, of all things, genitalia!

the bathroom signs disagree...
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:46 am

Llamalandia wrote:
Camicon wrote:Have any women served on the front lines yet? No? Then this isn't an issue. If they do end up serving on the front lines, while simultaneously being assessed by different standards than men are, then and only then can you make a stink about this. The criteria have not been met, nor are they ever likely to be, as the Pentagon is well on their way to revising the male and female physical fitness standards to a uniform baseline, so you can consider this line of support to be cut.

It doesn;t freaking matter whether or not your on the front line that's not he only time you are attack nor the only time physicality comes into play while soldiering. Besides, what is the rational basis for having two seperate sets of standards anyway? I mean people have to do plenty of routine manual labor in various non-combat military mos's why in the hell shouldn't everyone be held to the exact same standard? How does that make any logical sense. Either you need to be able to do 35 pushups to be a soldier or you don't. One way or the other.

It absolutely does matter. You're upset that women do not need to meet the physical requirements that men do, in the context that it compromises the security of military forces in situations where physical ability becomes paramount and where physically less-able women are present. Those situations are found exclusively on the front lines, where women do not serve. Unless such a situation occurs, then your argument is a hypothetical, and bears no merit. And the discordance of having two separate fitness standards is exactly why the Pentagon is creating a single standard which all soldiers, male or female, must adhere to.

I don't understand what you're having trouble understanding about this.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

The New Lowlands
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Lowlands » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:48 am

God Kefka wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:WHAT?! Nobody has a place in life defined by, of all things, genitalia!

Bathroom sign =/= life

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:49 am

Avenio wrote:I'm always amused by the fact that the people that are most 'concerned' about feminism are almost always the people that know the least about it, are the least interested in its goals and the most concerned with hijacking its progressive aims and co-opting it away from dealing with real systemic issues of gender, class and social hierarchies and towards indulging the pet causes of the very people that perpetuate those systemic problems.

Well, amused may not be the right word. Unsurprised by the predictability, maybe? Browbeaten into absolute and utter indifference at the Usual Suspects complaining about things like how feminism can't possibly be egalitarian because it has the word 'fem' in it, 200 years of literature and theory be damned? Something like that.

Well in fairness the suffregette movement was concerned more with advancing women's rights to level that they would be equals to mens at least in terms of voting. Also they were as many second wave feminists have pointed out primarily concerned with advancing the causes of white middle class heterosexual women so at least historically the feminist movement hasn't exactly been the most egalitarian (not that the rest of of society particularly embraced these other marginalized groups either but still).

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:49 am

The New Lowlands wrote:
God Kefka wrote:

Bathroom sign =/= life

It is to me.
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Mandicoria
Senator

Founded: Sep 10, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Mandicoria » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:49 am

Aequalitia wrote:Yes, and there are still some goals to go who need to be done.

However, in this times we did seen also the fake feminists, you know, those who in fact ruins the points of feminism.
silly little creature, she/they
apologies if im like, really aloof. this site has an affect on me.
What if Humanity was as Important as it thought it was... But it turned out to not be a very good thing.
also i rip off warhammer, DOOM, and halo unapologetically
Highly suggest listening to this when reading anything I post about this nation.
A [1.18] civilization, according to this index.

Ordinary People
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ordinary People » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:49 am

God Kefka wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:WHAT?! Nobody has a place in life defined by, of all things, genitalia!

So a woman's place in the world is in the bathroom?

Interesting...

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:50 am

Oaledonia wrote:
Camicon wrote:Feminism gives the perception of entitlement only to the ignorant, as you aptly displayed yourself to be, by demonstrating a lack of understanding of the word "synonym".

That's all good and all, but Feminism is still derived from the word female. And Equalism is derived from the word equal.
Tell me again which one is entitlement without the sneaky flame?

Feminism is derived from the word female. Yes. Good job. Here's a gold star. Yay for you.
How exactly does that give preference to women, when the social movement which bears it's name is devoted to equal rights? It's a name, a word. It carries only as much meaning as we give it. And we give the same meaning to feminism as we do to equalism. This is why they are synonyms.
Last edited by Camicon on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:55 am

Camicon wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:
It doesn;t freaking matter whether or not your on the front line that's not he only time you are attack nor the only time physicality comes into play while soldiering. Besides, what is the rational basis for having two seperate sets of standards anyway? I mean people have to do plenty of routine manual labor in various non-combat military mos's why in the hell shouldn't everyone be held to the exact same standard? How does that make any logical sense. Either you need to be able to do 35 pushups to be a soldier or you don't. One way or the other.

It absolutely does matter. You're upset that women do not need to meet the physical requirements that men do, in the context that it compromises the security of military forces in situations where physical ability becomes paramount and where physically less-able women are present. Those situations are found exclusively on the front lines, where women do not serve. Unless such a situation occurs, then your argument is a hypothetical, and bears no merit. And the discordance of having two separate fitness standards is exactly why the Pentagon is creating a single standard which all soldiers, male or female, must adhere to.

You are aware that the "frontlines" can in fact change. What was considered well behind the front lines one day, can in fact be overrun by the enemy the next day, every soldier in the US army is expected to be combat ready if they weren't there's no reason to teach them all how to shoot a freaking gun. Think about it.

Oh also I must have missed the part about the pentagon establishing a single standard (assuming it applies to all soldiers and not just combat mos) in that case I stand corrected, my bad. Of course if it's only the combat mos standards that are being standardized, then you still have the problem of non-combat mos's having two sets of standards.

Also, still waiting for you to name even one true feminist i should be listening to are you like the only one left or something? :eyebrow:

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:56 am

Ordinary People wrote:
God Kefka wrote:

Interesting...

well I was thinking more like the kitchens, the home with the children, nursing, maybe teaching... that sort of stuff. And maybe working the factories if all the men get drafted to war...
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:57 am

Ordinary People wrote:
God Kefka wrote:

Interesting...

No a woman's place is wherever she damn well pleases to be and is most qualified to be in life. ;)

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:58 am

True feminism never left. Some of us do and always have considered women to be our equals.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:58 am

Ordinary People wrote:
God Kefka wrote:

Interesting...

Of course not.

Making sandwiches in the bathroom is just downright unsanitary, and novel the experience may be the first few times making babies in the bathroom is just uncomfortable. *nod*
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:01 am

Llamalandia wrote:
Camicon wrote:It absolutely does matter. You're upset that women do not need to meet the physical requirements that men do, in the context that it compromises the security of military forces in situations where physical ability becomes paramount and where physically less-able women are present. Those situations are found exclusively on the front lines, where women do not serve. Unless such a situation occurs, then your argument is a hypothetical, and bears no merit. And the discordance of having two separate fitness standards is exactly why the Pentagon is creating a single standard which all soldiers, male or female, must adhere to.

You are aware that the "frontlines" can in fact change. What was considered well behind the front lines one day, can in fact be overrun by the enemy the next day, every soldier in the US army is expected to be combat ready if they weren't there's no reason to teach them all how to shoot a freaking gun. Think about it.
Oh also I must have missed the part about the pentagon establishing a single standard (assuming it applies to all soldiers and not just combat mos) in that case I stand corrected, my bad. Of course if it's only the combat mos standards that are being standardized, then you still have the problem of non-combat mos's having two sets of standards.
Also, still waiting for you to name even one true feminist i should be listening to are you like the only one left or something? :eyebrow:

Alright, you know what? Let's settle this. Name a single woman that was killed on the front lines, because they were not as physically able as their male fellows. If you can do that, then I will concede the point. If you can't (which you won't be able to), then you have lost the argument, as the entire crux of your position will have dissolved into so much hot air.
You're on the internet. Google is your friend. Get to know each other a little better.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:03 am

Camicon wrote:
Llamalandia wrote:You are aware that the "frontlines" can in fact change. What was considered well behind the front lines one day, can in fact be overrun by the enemy the next day, every soldier in the US army is expected to be combat ready if they weren't there's no reason to teach them all how to shoot a freaking gun. Think about it.

Alright, you know what? Let's settle this. Name a single woman that was killed on the front lines, because they were not as physically able as their male fellows. If you can do that, then I will concede the point. If you can't (which you won't be able to), then you have lost the argument, as the entire crux of your position will have dissolved into so much hot air.
You're on the internet. Google is your friend. Get to know each other a little better.

Here's the first killed in Iraq.
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:03 am

Avenio wrote:I'm always amused by the fact that the people that are most 'concerned' about feminism are almost always the people that know the least about it

I have long ago ceased to be amused by the fact that this claim still circulates.

The fact of the matter is that there are plenty of people who know a lot or a little about feminism, and critics of feminism may be readily found in both groups.

Phyllis Schlafly knows a lot about feminism; she's been fighting it for decades. Her values, not her understanding, divide her and feminism; she views the pursuit of equal treatment of the sexes to be abhorrent. She looks at the commonly espoused end goal of treating women as men are treated, and wants no part of that loss of female privilege and protection.

Warren Farrell knows an enormous amount about feminism. He was deeply involved with the movement and was elected to N.O.W.'s board of directors three times. Unlike Schlafly, he values equality between the sexes; and it is on these grounds that he has been critical of feminism, because his prognosis of the direction of feminism is different from Schlafly's.

And then there has also been plenty of critique that has remained internal to the movement, ranging from small turf wars to the occasional schism (e.g., over pornography). The idea that only people ignorant of feminism express concern about the current state or direction of the movement is very obviously false.
Last edited by Tahar Joblis on Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zombie Liberonscien
Envoy

Founded: Mar 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zombie Liberonscien » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:04 am

Big Jim P wrote:True feminism never left. Some of us do and always have considered women to be our equals.

For example, me.
Alt: Liberonscien
Also known as a zombie Time Lord called "the Baron"
Proud Member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
I don't actually believe that a Flying Spaghetti Monster created us. I do think that if you are going to teach one version of intelligent design in school then you should teach all of them.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General