NATION

PASSWORD

Religions proselytizing is poison to society

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ryfylke
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryfylke » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:54 pm

Aravea wrote:
Ryfylke wrote:Regarding what? Progressivism and Christianity or Mormonism?

On life because obviously he's not a Christian or Mormon and I don't think he is an atheist. So what do you think he believes?

I'm having a hard time discerning a coherent worldview. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of experience with him (or anyone in NSG really). What do you make of it?
About Ryfylke: Factbook, Embassy Program

About Me: College student in Minnesota. Lutheran. Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party.

Aravea
Senator

Founded: Oct 31, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Aravea » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:55 pm

I think his name suits him perfectly.
Proud Deputy Speaker of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
★★★Proud Intelligence Minister of the United Monarchist Alliance★★★
Note: Currently in the process of overhauling the Aravean factbooks/canon.

Flyover
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Flyover » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Hakio wrote:
Flyover wrote:
"I think people trying to force their beliefs on others is bad. You're all bad for disagreeing with me and my obvious moral superiority."

Well according to your signature I'm all atheists like me are evil and hate religious people. :roll:

Er. No. Athiest =/= Antithiest. When someone is "A" something (Asexual, Apolitical) they lack that something, anti means to be against; and to be theist is to be religious. To lack a religion is fine in my mind, to think all religious people are evil is something entirely. :roll:
Capitalist, Male, Cosmopolitan, American, Human-Rights Advocate. NS' Most Complicated Poster

Impeach Stupid, Tax Memes, Legalize Putting Things in the Wrong Order.

Quotes of Note:
This isn't Burger King, you can't have it your way. -Torisakia

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:10 pm

I view religion more as an opium for the spirit. Opium can be addictive and bad but it can also be necessity. For instance if you have a severely damaged limb opium can make the pain bearable. Likewise when a parent loses a child or a person loses their spouse the opium of religion can make that loss bearable.

All proselytizing does is advertise what medicines are available for treatment of the pains of the human condition.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:14 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Aravea wrote:
So why do you want to be a God?

so that I can smite down all of my enemies, all of those who have taken advantage of my physical and social limitations to climb at my expense.

the world would become my canvas and I shall reshape it all in my image...

Narcissistic inferiority complex?
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Bambifan101
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bambifan101 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:17 pm

Benuty wrote:
God Kefka wrote:
so that I can smite down all of my enemies, all of those who have taken advantage of my physical and social limitations to climb at my expense.

the world would become my canvas and I shall reshape it all in my image...

Narcissistic inferiority complex?

General insanity?
NS's resident mad man

I be dropping fascist truths on dem liberal masses.

Prepare for your daily dose of insanity.

Aravea
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Aravea » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:42 pm

So Kefka explain to us all your view of the world...

Kyuji
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyuji » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Bambifan101 wrote:
Benuty wrote:Narcissistic inferiority complex?

General insanity?

He believes that humans are sacred and that his way is the right way
Pro :Voluntary Cannibalism (in other words the kind where people willingly offer themselves up as food) , Freedom of speech , The Austro-Hungarian Empire , The Ottoman Empire , Taoism , Gay Marriage, Martial Arts , Madoka , Kyubey
Anti :Racism , Israel , Homphobia , Bigotry , North Korea , Krav Maga, Russia

Aravea
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Aravea » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Kyuji wrote:
Bambifan101 wrote:
General insanity?

Really?

Kyuji
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyuji » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Aravea wrote:
Kyuji wrote:He believes that humans are sacred and that his way is the right way

Really?

I could link you to the cannibalism thread if you need evidence
Pro :Voluntary Cannibalism (in other words the kind where people willingly offer themselves up as food) , Freedom of speech , The Austro-Hungarian Empire , The Ottoman Empire , Taoism , Gay Marriage, Martial Arts , Madoka , Kyubey

Aravea
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Aravea » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Kyuji wrote:
Aravea wrote:
Really?

I could link you to the cannibalism thread if you need evidence

It's just he seems so out there...

Kyuji
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyuji » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:51 pm

Aravea wrote:
Kyuji wrote:I could link you to the cannibalism thread if you need evidence

It's just he seems so out there...

I know .

The Time Alliance
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Alliance » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:55 pm

[list=][/list]
Kyuji wrote:
Bambifan101 wrote:
General insanity?

So in the way he says no one should follow anyone he'd be okay with everyone following him?

Kyuji
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyuji » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:57 pm

The Time Alliance wrote:[list=][/list]
Kyuji wrote:He believes that humans are sacred and that his way is the right way

So in the way he says no one should follow anyone he'd be okay with everyone following him?

Yes .

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:57 pm

Kyuji wrote:
The Time Alliance wrote:[list=][/list]

Yes .

I take he's very hypocritical.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Kyuji
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyuji » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:00 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Kyuji wrote:Yes .

I take he's very hypocritical.

Yep.
In truth he's proselytizing his belief
Last edited by Kyuji on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quackquackhonk
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Quackquackhonk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:54 pm

Totally Not Leningrad Union wrote:I think that the mentality that your religion is automatically the right one and that you need to convert everyone else is just terrible.

if you believed knew the truth regarding the eternal salvation of all mankind, you would keep quiet about it? you wouldn't try to open people's eyes to something so beneficial to them?

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Totally Not Leningrad Union wrote:
Alyakia wrote:
So you don't think your religion is right? You don't want to save people from going to hell?

Also, irony.

Thinking my religion is right is different than knowing it is. And hell is a bunch of pagan bullshit

They say hell is a place where there is no reason. And your statements/threads keeps dragging me into hell.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:06 am

God Kefka wrote:
no because I have skill enough thus far to survive (using the legal system whenever I can, playing my cards carefully etc)...

However, it is unfair that others continue to do better than me not because they have superior intellect but because they are better at brown-nosing, backstabbing, socializing, and playing others against me.

The present world order is one of injustice. And it must be changed...

Manipulating societal forces takes skill too. It's one more way to get ahead in life, and does require some intellect to pull off. Not that I'm a fan, but those scoundrels can be damned quick minds. I'm not sure how this could be changed other than removing society entirely or keeping it strictly regimented.

God Kefka wrote:And by the way, technology and science aren't necessarily the only avenues. There are other types of forces we might be able to harness too...

You could always pray to some invisible force to grant you everlasting life in a better place. I hear that's rather popular in some parts.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

The BaRen
Senator

Founded: Dec 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The BaRen » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:10 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I don't think we can help it. Militant Religious people need to believe their almighty has the biggest dick and they are willing to kill anyone that says differently. Even two thousand years ago, when Jesus said, "Hey, maybe instead of talking about God's dick all the time, maybe we should prove the superiority of our religion's teachings by being living examples of goodness for others to emulate." Then after he died, his followers went, "See??? That proves that Jesus had the biggest dick of them all! Raaaar!" :palm:

So many thanks to George Carlin for making the initial comparison between fundamentalist doctrine and dick insecurity and I will close with one of his quotes: "The only good thing ever to come out of religion was the music."

I suspect George Carlin had a huuuuuuge dick. :p

I'm a sun worshiper.
But I pray to Joe Pesci.
The Unites State-Of-Minds wrote:
The V O I D wrote:and the psychopathic love has sailed. congrats, an NPC with natural-born psychopathy is going to enter ANO.

be pretty damn funny if she pushed you off the railing....

Lazssia wrote:So humanity is the crazy hobo of the cosmos? I can dig it.

Yugahkistan wrote:Our Supreme Leader's passion flows like a great river. Also like a great river he drowns people. If love interest is strong swimmer she will survive

I am
-of Spanish, German, Irish, and Native American Descent
-a juvenile offender
-stoner
-Royalty for Life -PaRcside CFL X7-

Cro$$ i$ Bo$$
Ain't no Pity in -R- City
$$ gReen Ragz $$
Ca$hed Out

Free my brothers in prison. We brothers in every way but blood.

Vicious Debaters
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Debaters » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:14 am

The thread has gone by thus far with no mention of Piggiwokki, the god of Mud and Coconuts. His Chosen are ashamed, and eat their yams with sorrow in their hearts.

Anyway we should let 'em preach, just for the sake of free speech. It's when they start trying people as witches or organizing violence against people they disagree with that you need to reign them in.
Last edited by Vicious Debaters on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donut section

Founded:

Postby Donut section » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:35 am

So I'm an Athiest in that I see no evidence of a god.
I'm an anti theist in that I believe religion to be largely harmful. I only believe this, I have no evidence of it. Thus am I in no position to assert that it is harmful.

If anyone believes it is only positive I recommend they read "the tenth parallel" by Elisa Griswald.
It's an interesting look at how religion is used as an identifier for violence around the world. And it has some interesting points about the problems caused by evangelical Christians from America across the world.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:06 am

The BaRen wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I don't think we can help it. Militant Religious people need to believe their almighty has the biggest dick and they are willing to kill anyone that says differently. Even two thousand years ago, when Jesus said, "Hey, maybe instead of talking about God's dick all the time, maybe we should prove the superiority of our religion's teachings by being living examples of goodness for others to emulate." Then after he died, his followers went, "See??? That proves that Jesus had the biggest dick of them all! Raaaar!" :palm:

So many thanks to George Carlin for making the initial comparison between fundamentalist doctrine and dick insecurity and I will close with one of his quotes: "The only good thing ever to come out of religion was the music."

I suspect George Carlin had a huuuuuuge dick. :p

I'm a sun worshiper.
But I pray to Joe Pesci.

Yay! :)
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:09 am

Totally Not Leningrad Union wrote:I think that the mentality that your religion is automatically the right one and that you need to convert everyone else is just terrible. It disgusts me that Christian missionaries want to convert everyone and that Islamic nations punish people for not believing in Islam. People should start to recognize they could be wrong and it is bad to force things on people.

What does everyone think?

There is a huge difference between merely proselytizing one's belief and punish people for not following it.

Other than that, there's nothing wrong with believing that your religion is automatically the right one. People think the exact same thing about their political affiliation, taste in music, sports team etc.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

GrandKirche
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby GrandKirche » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:10 am

It's each religion trying to help people avoid a terrible fate. Mostly. There's the odd cult that will give you the terrible fate. In a rational society there's no reason not to allow religious freedom of expression.
Read "A Man For All Seasons". That explains most of what I believe in. Except the Catholic bits.

Outside of here I do lead a rather unusual and colourful life. As a Spinster.

I just want a nice man with a good accent and the manners of a Royal.

British, a really cliché G in LGBTQ gentleman a lot of the time.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General