NATION

PASSWORD

Is capitalism naturally coercive?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Is capitalism naturally coercive?

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:07 pm

Perhaps the most often debated topic between the left and the right (economically speaking) is the idea that capitalism is naturally coercive, and that under a capitalist system people cannot fully truly be free, or have no choices in the terms of their conditions made in the system.

I personally do not believe this. Voluntarily exchanging some of your labor for money with ascribed value (an agreement often made in capitalism) is not coercive as the party who sacrifices their labor voluntarily accepts the demands of their employer, and they have the freedom to change their employer and thus, the agreement, become self reliant, or become the employer themselves. Even if capitalism is seen as coercive because it is hierarchal, one must realize that even if the richest elites still must rely on both the discriminating whims of their workforce, while at the same time having to keep up with market forces (the very demands of the workers who work for them!)

So what say ye, denizens of Nationstates. Is capitalism naturally coercive?
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:08 pm

No, it's not.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:16 pm

The Scientific States wrote:No, it's not.

Why not? To play devils advocate - couldn't having no option but to work or starve in a capitalist system qualify as coercion?

Yes, I am back(ish)

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:18 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:

Why not? To play devils advocate - couldn't having no option but to work or starve in a capitalist system qualify as coercion?

But you're offering an extreme capitalist society. Most capitalist nations aren't Laissez Faire or free market.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:18 pm

In a Laissez Faire system, it is coercive. However, in a mixed market economy, with a social safety net, not working is not good, however, you won't starve or anything.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:19 pm

Kelinfort wrote:

But you're offering an extreme capitalist society. Most capitalist nations aren't Laissez Faire or free market.

Where am I advocating a laissez faire system in my post?

Yes, I am back(ish)

Stovokor
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Stovokor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Sociology would tend to disagree
Last edited by Stovokor on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If i'm responding to you directly, it is generally safe to disregard everything that was said and assume i'm calling you a twit.
I Roleplay as such my nation is not a representation of my political, economic, and spiritual beliefs.

Economic Left/Right: 1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92

The Union of the West
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Capitalism is coercive, but it's the best thing we've got. (Unless we can somehow work out anarchism)
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Kelinfort wrote:But you're offering an extreme capitalist society. Most capitalist nations aren't Laissez Faire or free market.

I meant the devil's advocate you portray; such coercion would only occur in a truly Laissez Faire capitalist economy.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Stovokor wrote:

Sociology would tend to disagree

Elaborate, or at the very least, back up your claim with a source.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:25 pm

Scarcity is the source of coercion, not capitalism. All systems that operate under scarcity parameters have to be coercive. Which isn't to say that capitalism doesn't exacerbate coersion - it most certainly does, since it's a non-optimal distributor of resources - but asking such is missing the point as to why coercion exists.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:26 pm

Kelinfort wrote:

I meant the devil's advocate you portray; such coercion would only occur in a truly Laissez Faire capitalist economy.

How do you know? Certainly, in a neo-liberal capitalist economy with the bare minimum of welfare and such, people could not rack up enough debt to only afford to pay their taxes and get by, but not to purchase food?

Yes, I am back(ish)

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:27 pm

Kelinfort wrote:I meant the devil's advocate you portray; such coercion would only occur in a truly Laissez Faire capitalist economy.

How do you know? Certainly, in a neo-liberal capitalist economy with the bare minimum of welfare and such, people could not rack up enough debt to only afford to pay their taxes and get by, but not to purchase food?

A capitalist society doesn't have to be neo liberal or Laissez Faire.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Siaos
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Siaos » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:28 pm

Avenio wrote:Scarcity is the source of coercion, not capitalism. All systems that operate under scarcity parameters have to be coercive. Which isn't to say that capitalism doesn't exacerbate coersion - it most certainly does, since it's a non-optimal distributor of resources - but asking such is missing the point as to why coercion exists.

Without some amount of coercion, society would collapse. Until we can form a perfect society with no scarcity, some amount coercion will be needed to keep people working and society running smoothly.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graph ... 41_eng.jpg
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... &soc=-4.92
Zottistan wrote:Like voltage, the only practical way to measure freedom is relatively speaking.
Absolute freedom would be a terrible, terrible thing.
Join the UU, A Region of RP nations centered around the very strong Unitaria. To join, all you have to do is change your nations currency to the Unitaria, and TG Flaskjinia, Pasovo-Nacabo, or me.

Likes and Dislikes:
Likes:NSG, pragmaticism, Constitutional Monarchies, Centrism, Democracy, Civil Libertarianism, PC
Dislikes: NSG, Communism, Anarcho-Capitalism, Authoritarianism, Sarah Palin, Tea Party, Occupy Movement, Hipsters, Mac, Anonymous

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:28 pm

The Scientific States wrote:

Even in the most liberal of democracies, food is not socialized.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Stovokor
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Stovokor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:29 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:Perhaps the most often debated topic between the left and the right (economically speaking) is the idea that capitalism is naturally coercive, and that under a capitalist system people cannot fully truly be free, or have no choices in the terms of their conditions made in the system.

I personally do not believe this. Voluntarily exchanging some of your labor for money with ascribed value (an agreement often made in capitalism) is not coercive as the party who sacrifices their labor voluntarily accepts the demands of their employer, and they have the freedom to change their employer and thus, the agreement, become self reliant, or become the employer themselves. Even if capitalism is seen as coercive because it is hierarchal, one must realize that even if the richest elites still must rely on both the discriminating whims of their workforce, while at the same time having to keep up with market forces (the very demands of the workers who work for them!)

To respond to you OP, ultimately yes. capitalism as an economic system is ultimately harmful to the human condition, a major issue with capitalism is that it tends to dehumanize it's working class, and ultimately cases inequality, in any cases not because someone worked harder but simply because of status and connections to wealth. If unregulated, capitalism has the habit of ultimately destroying competition and results in the creation of a mega-corporations and economic blocs, as well as a trans-national class that can be considered the modern power elite.

However, with that said, I cannot in good faith suggest anything better, simply a highly regulated capitalistic economy with socially funded programs.
If i'm responding to you directly, it is generally safe to disregard everything that was said and assume i'm calling you a twit.
I Roleplay as such my nation is not a representation of my political, economic, and spiritual beliefs.

Economic Left/Right: 1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Food stamps, welfare etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Stovokor wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:Perhaps the most often debated topic between the left and the right (economically speaking) is the idea that capitalism is naturally coercive, and that under a capitalist system people cannot fully truly be free, or have no choices in the terms of their conditions made in the system.

To respond to you OP, ultimately yes. capitalism as an economic system is ultimately harmful to the human condition, a major issue with capitalism is that it tends to dehumanize it's working class, and ultimately cases inequality, in any cases not because someone worked harder but simply because of status and connections to wealth. If unregulated, capitalism has the habit of ultimately destroying competition and results in the creation of a mega-corporations and economic blocs, as well as a trans-national class that can be considered the modern power elite.

However, with that said, I cannot in good faith suggest anything better, simply a highly regulated capitalistic economy with socially funded programs.

That's still capitalism.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:32 pm

At its simplest, trade is saying, "I will help you in this way if and only if you do what I want." So ya, it's coercive as fuck.
Last edited by Margno on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Margno wrote:At its simplest, trade says, "I will help you in this way if and only if you do what I want." So ya, it's coercive as fuck.

So, what's your alternative?
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:35 pm

Margno wrote:At its simplest, trade says, "I will help you in this way if and only if you do what I want." So ya, it's coercive as fuck.

Do good things for people, and don't ask for anything in return.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:35 pm

Food stamps, welfare etc.

Which only means a limited amount aren't coerced, and those programs don't always provide a substantial amount.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:35 pm

Stovokor wrote:

Couldn't monopolies not naturally break themselves up after enough time/pressure? For even the largest corporation it takes in a large pool of resources to sustain itself, and even a small business that is more resourceful could outcompete a large monopoly simply due to the fact that small businesses can be more flexible. Similar to governments, I believe.

Yes, I am back(ish)

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:35 pm

Margno wrote:

Do good things for people, and don't ask for anything in return.

That can't happen in a capitalist society?
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:36 pm

The socialization of all parts and facets of the economy.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General