NATION

PASSWORD

Philippines Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Republic of Pantalleria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:24 pm

Vulkata II wrote:
Connori Pilgrims wrote:
Well, he hasnt done anything he wasn't saying or hinting at since the campaign.

That people still act shocked to what he does, especially that we're in month 3 of his admin already, means that:

- they weren't listening to him (never mind his critics)
- they're in denial (especially those who voted)
- they're stupid (par for the course really)
- all of the above

Oh well, the "people" voted for him. The only ones who really need to worry are the powerless and weak anyway.

I founded fishy that Duterte made peace with the MILF who is a communist terrorist group so easy and wants peace with them.

I think he was telling us and we weren't really listening. Maybe.

Wrong group, the MILF stands for Moro ISLAMIC Liberation Front, which we've had a treaty with since Aquino, what you're probably refering to is the NPA which essentially represents all the communist groups in the Phils.

Anyway, on a more... frustrating note...
The Pantallerian Economy and Other Details

The Pantallerian Bureau of Tourism: Treading on maggots since we got our magnificent go go boots.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:28 pm

Asigna wrote:
The Republic of Pantalleria wrote:
I was neutral towards him before, in the hopes that he would also insult the Chinese communist party, however, it would seem that my worst fears have been realised... He's pro-China.

Not necessarily, but rather pro second world. I would rather on the side of people who pillage, exploit, conquer and are glorified. :P Long live the enlightened Western civilization that began in Greece and now resides in the west. (Bite me)

Despite that fact, at-least they redeem themselves somewhat by aiding other countries in times of strife, I mean we all remember how much China helped us after Yolanda right? (Sarcasm since China barely helped us at all, #neverforgetChinesegovernmentalgreed)

The Pantallerian Bureau of Tourism: Treading on maggots since we got our magnificent go go boots.

Victoriala II
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala II » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:40 pm

Asigna wrote:
I was neutral towards him before, in the hopes that he would also insult the Chinese communist party, however, it would seem that my worst fears have been realised... He's pro-China.

Not necessarily, but rather pro second world. I would rather on the side of people who pillage, exploit, conquer and are glorified. :P Long live the enlightened Western civilization that began in Greece and now resides in the west. (Bite me)

Stop sounding so edgy in 4 in the morning

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Asigna wrote:

Lol what are you on about
The idea that Western culture isn't down with pillaging, exploitation, and conquest is super new, and it's an idea that died violently.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Victoriala II
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala II » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:15 pm

you could switch roderick paulate with duterte and no one will even notice

Zhouran
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zhouran » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:42 pm

Asigna wrote:Optimum objectivity in politics is impossible since politics itself is pandering in nature. It seeks to please its immediate constituents rather than everyone. Lest we want a super computer to make decisions for us. :p

So basically you're implying that humans must fervently hold zealous thoughts and ignore the viewpoint of others, thereby stopping the need to politically solve animosity?

That type of mentality is why ethics in politics is being ignored.
Victoriala II wrote:you could switch roderick paulate with duterte and no one will even notice

>actor
>comedian
>politician

Only in the Philippines where showmanship plays an integral role in politics.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:06 am

Zhouran wrote:
Asigna wrote:Optimum objectivity in politics is impossible since politics itself is pandering in nature. It seeks to please its immediate constituents rather than everyone. Lest we want a super computer to make decisions for us. :p

So basically you're implying that humans must fervently hold zealous thoughts and ignore the viewpoint of others, thereby stopping the need to politically solve animosity?

Victoriala II wrote:you could switch roderick paulate with duterte and no one will even notice

>actor
>comedian
>politician

Ronald Reagan was a thing you know.

Nusaresa
Minister

Founded: Aug 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nusaresa » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:08 am

Zhouran wrote:So basically you're implying that humans must fervently hold zealous thoughts and ignore the viewpoint of others, thereby stopping the need to politically solve animosity?

>actor
>comedian
>politician

And if we use the current events, Donald Trump (reality TV Shows pls go)
The Republic of Nusaresa

A Southeast Asian getaway with long unbroken beaches, many historical sites, and a world class quality of life. Enjoy a pleasant dinner at the many restaurants, snorkeling at the pristine lagoon, or discover the Nusarese heritage through a tour of the country.

Nusaresa welcomes you.
Jochizyd Republic wrote:Death by honorable child soldier is less humiliating than death by Antifa activist.

confirmed yandere bishounen
Climate Change needs to stop being a partisan issue

Victoriala II
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala II » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:43 am

Nusaresa wrote:

And if we use the current events, Donald Trump (reality TV Shows pls go)

oh wow I sure do wonder where that came from

Hastiaka
Minister

Founded: Sep 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hastiaka » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:58 am

Vulkata II wrote:I founded fishy that Duterte made peace with the MILF who is a communist terrorist group so easy and wants peace with them.

I think he was telling us and we weren't really listening. Maybe.

Wrong group, the MILF stands for Moro ISLAMIC Liberation Front, which we've had a treaty with since Aquino, what you're probably refering to is the NPA which essentially represents all the communist groups in the Phils.

I may not 100% agree with our president, but he has a point. Plus, being too close to any of the two superpowers is too dangerous. If we stay too close to the United States, we're pissing off the PRC (maybe they'll point their/more nukes at us) and if we stay too close to the PRC- the US might support a (Trillianes?) pro-American coup against the legal and constitutional government of the Philippines.
Last edited by Hastiaka on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Victoriala II
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala II » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:02 am

Hastiaka wrote:if we stay too close to the PRC- the US might support a (Trillianes?) pro-American coup against the legal and constitutional government of the Philippines.

The cold war is over the fuck are you on about

Hastiaka
Minister

Founded: Sep 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hastiaka » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:57 am

What happened to Pres. Marcos might happen to P.Duterte (the US betrayal part). Don't think too shallow, there are reports of people planning to oust our government we can never dismiss such a thing. The cold war of the 20th century is over but look at the middle east, north africa and the black sea. Do you not see the tensions? This may sound like a conspiracy theory but neither the US or the PRC are our knights in shining armor.

Zhouran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zhouran » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:34 am

The Republic of Pantalleria wrote:Ronald Reagan was a thing you know.

Not a lot of American actors become big-shot politicians. There are examples including Arnold Schwarzenegger and Al Franken, but the list isn't that big. Plus, American politics isn't shaped by showmanship and family dynasties like Filipino politics.

Also, Filipinos love all that showbiz crap. They wouldn't mind showmanship since Filipino politicians would need a method to persuade people to vote for them. I'm not saying it negatively since it's how Filipino politicians would do it to gain votes and support.

Nusaresa wrote:And if we use the current events, Donald Trump (reality TV Shows pls go)

Technically, he isn't really a politician since he's a businessman and not a government bureaucrat. Plus he's only a presidential candidate. If he was elected as president, then American politics would become a lot more showmanship-like.
Hastiaka wrote:I may not 100% agree with our president, but he has a point. Plus, being too close to any of the two superpowers is too dangerous. If we stay too close to the United States, we're pissing off the PRC (maybe they'll point their/more nukes at us) and if we stay too close to the PRC- the US might support a (Trillianes?) pro-American coup against the legal and constitutional government of the Philippines.

This isn't the 1970s/1980s, fam. Being neutral isn't gonna help the Philippines on the world stage.

Zhouran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zhouran » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:36 am

Hastiaka wrote:What happened to Pres. Marcos might happen to P.Duterte (the US betrayal part). Don't think too shallow, there are reports of people planning to oust our government we can never dismiss such a thing. The cold war of the 20th century is over but look at the middle east, north africa and the black sea. Do you not see the tensions? This may sound like a conspiracy theory but neither the US or the PRC are our knights in shining armor.

Too bad. You're gonna need to take a side and stop being one of those neutral moderates.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:59 am

Hastiaka wrote:

I may not 100% agree with our president, but he has a point. Plus, being too close to any of the two superpowers is too dangerous. If we stay too close to the United States, we're pissing off the PRC (maybe they'll point their/more nukes at us) and if we stay too close to the PRC- the US might support a (Trillianes?) pro-American coup against the legal and constitutional government of the Philippines.

The US has not done any coup in the Philippines and this is not the 50s or 60s. Plus contrary to popular belief the US does not have a magical coup button at the CIA headquarters. Even if we wanted to pull one (and we do not) it is really hard to do. In fact it is impossible without substantial support already there.

The US never has never and never will make a coup appear from nothing. It has in the past supported coups that were already in progress. Key word being already in progress. Which plenty of countries including China have done.

If you have no close friends, you have no close friends. And thus are all alone when the going gets tough. One good friend is much better than a dozen "friends" who are no there when you need them. And "neutrality" is no defense. It just makes you an open target for everyone. Just ask countries like Belgium and Luxembourg how it worked for them.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:13 am

Hastiaka wrote:What happened to Pres. Marcos might happen to P.Duterte (the US betrayal part). Don't think too shallow, there are reports of people planning to oust our government we can never dismiss such a thing. The cold war of the 20th century is over but look at the middle east, north africa and the black sea. Do you not see the tensions? This may sound like a conspiracy theory but neither the US or the PRC are our knights in shining armor.

How did the US "betray" Marcos? No more than the Phillipines "betrayed" Bush I. Bush I lost, and the Philippines went right on making friends with Clinton. In fact all that shows is the US was unwilling to get involved in the political affairs of the Philippines. Marcos failed because of his own corruption and incompetence. The US was quite intelligently keeping good relations with whoever was in power. When he was in power we would work with him. When he fell we worked with the next government. Good relations between countries are between institutions, not individual people. You make friends with the country, not the leader of the day. Good relations are not based on what party or person happens to be in power. Not the president of the day, which will not be the same in the future.

Yes neither the US or PRC is a knight in shining armor. Because knights in shinning armor do not exist. You can still have friends who are flawed, in fact all your friends will be flawed. You cannot trust any friend completely. It is a matter of who you can trust most. If you think you can have no good friends because you think everyone is equally bad you will have a lonely life and when the going gets tough no one to turn to.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Asigna
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Asigna » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:16 am

Novus America wrote:
Hastiaka wrote:

The US has not done any coup in the Philippines and this is not the 50s or 60s. Plus contrary to popular belief the US does not have a magical coup button at the CIA headquarters. Even if we wanted to pull one (and we do not) it is really hard to do. In fact it is impossible without substantial support already there.

The US never has never and never will make a coup appear from nothing. It has in the past supported coups that were already in progress. Key word being already in progress. Which plenty of countries including China have done.

If you have no close friends, you have no close friends. And thus are all alone when the going gets tough. One good friend is much better than a dozen "friends" who are no there when you need them. And "neutrality" is no defense. It just makes you an open target for everyone. Just ask countries like Belgium and Luxembourg how it worked for them.

True. If the US did, Syria should be a finished business a long time ago, as well as Iran and Russia. But no.

The myth of the "almighty, all knowing, omnipotent and omnipresent CIA" has to be shattered. Plus, to do a coup in the Philippines will only do more harm than good to the US. Especially with popular support not being in their favor.

We need to however, at least placate both powers if we want to survive as a developing nation. Unless if we are a super power in our own right, we are in no position to say "let's be neutral".

No, the Philippines and its strategic territorial placement, being a potential unsinkable aircraft carrier for any superpower that has dominance over it, is a very coveted nation. If not the US, China will do its best to get a hold of the Philippines directly or indirectly to get within striking range of the second island chain as well as being in the position to enforce concessions upon rival powers like Japan and South Korea, whose maritime trade routes pass through waters adjacent to the Philippines.

We have to play by the rules of the game continuously if we want to win, or at least survive. Once we have grown enough, it will be possible for us to seize the initiative and change the rules of the game. Might makes right in this world. And if we want to be the one who is to be listened to, we have to secure might.
NS's resident Filipino patriot. May also be that weird Vietnamese guy whose name must not be spoken.

Erian: If you are gay (like me) and looking, PM me. ;/\) (SO I CAN PRAY YOUR SOUL BURNS IN HELL) Kekekekek. No straighty and no wamen. I want no pussycats.

The Filipino dude is a Mangotreestian, yes, he is a believer in the gospel of the mango tree. The one true religion.
Totalitarian Theocracy
THE GREATER PHILIPPINE BAYAN
Hukbo/Military -
THE HOMELAND TERRITORIES - foreign affairs
Visit our nation! - Asigna TV - Know the Light of Heaven

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:38 am

Asigna wrote:
Novus America wrote:

True. If the US did, Syria should be a finished business a long time ago, as well as Iran and Russia. But no.

The myth of the "almighty, all knowing, omnipotent and omnipresent CIA" has to be shattered. Plus, to do a coup in the Philippines will only do more harm than good to the US. Especially with popular support not being in their favor.

We need to however, at least placate both powers if we want to survive as a developing nation. Unless if we are a super power in our own right, we are in no position to say "let's be neutral".

No, the Philippines and its strategic territorial placement, being a potential unsinkable aircraft carrier for any superpower that has dominance over it, is a very coveted nation. If not the US, China will do its best to get a hold of the Philippines directly or indirectly to get within striking range of the second island chain as well as being in the position to enforce concessions upon rival powers like Japan and South Korea, whose maritime trade routes pass through waters adjacent to the Philippines.

We have to play by the rules of the game continuously if we want to win, or at least survive. Once we have grown enough, it will be possible for us to seize the initiative and change the rules of the game. Might makes right in this world. And if we want to be the one who is to be listened to, we have to secure might.

And while the US has its downsides, it is not a brutal corrupt dictatorship seeking to seize islands from the Philippines like China. Leaving no choice for now. But even if stronger you still need allies, even if the alliance becomes more equitable. Even Japan and Korea need alliances with the US. And the Philippines is probably going to take a long time to reach that level.

And even if strong, the Philippines will still never be a superpower, (it does not have the land or resources) and thus needs to decide which superpower is best to work with. And there are only two choices
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Asigna
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Asigna » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:01 am

Novus America wrote:
Asigna wrote:

And while the US has its downsides, it is not a brutal corrupt dictatorship seeking to seize islands from the Philippines like China. Leaving no choice for now. But even if stronger you still need allies, even if the alliance becomes more equitable. Even Japan and Korea need alliances with the US. And the Philippines is probably going to take a long time to reach that level.

And even if strong, the Philippines will still never be a superpower, (it does not have the land or resources) and thus needs to decide which superpower is best to work with. And there are only two choices

An EU like strong bloc of nations that are weak individually yet strong when unified may be the best path. But of course, this does not need to be one or the other. If it cannot be no decision but it can definitely be both so that no one will be in the position to make demand strong concessions to the Philippines in fear that they will either lose their grip and have it surrendered to the other one.

Think of it like an eternal tug of war with the Philippines being a rope where no one bothers to pull any further in fear that their own grip might slip. And heck, the Philippines might even benefit from this through homage, gifts of "aid" and "advisers" to the nation to help in its development. This might be the most plausible and pragmatic non partisan solution that could be devised.
NS's resident Filipino patriot. May also be that weird Vietnamese guy whose name must not be spoken.

Erian: If you are gay (like me) and looking, PM me. ;/\) (SO I CAN PRAY YOUR SOUL BURNS IN HELL) Kekekekek. No straighty and no wamen. I want no pussycats.

The Filipino dude is a Mangotreestian, yes, he is a believer in the gospel of the mango tree. The one true religion.
Totalitarian Theocracy
THE GREATER PHILIPPINE BAYAN
Hukbo/Military -
THE HOMELAND TERRITORIES - foreign affairs
Visit our nation! - Asigna TV - Know the Light of Heaven

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:21 am

Asigna wrote:
Novus America wrote:

An EU like strong bloc of nations that are weak individually yet strong when unified may be the best path. But of course, this does not need to be one or the other. If it cannot be no decision but it can definitely be both so that no one will be in the position to make demand strong concessions to the Philippines in fear that they will either lose their grip and have it surrendered to the other one.

Think of it like an eternal tug of war with the Philippines being a rope where no one bothers to pull any further in fear that their own grip might slip. And heck, the Philippines might even benefit from this through homage, gifts of "aid" and "advisers" to the nation to help in its development. This might be the most plausible and pragmatic non partisan solution that could be devised.

Well yes, joining a larger strong bloc is an option. This is how the US became a superpower, of smaller states joining together while still keeping a high level of autonomy. The problem is most such blocs fail to materialize or survive, as in the EU which is on the verge of collapse. ASEAN does not seem to be going anywhere.

True it does not her to be one or the other exactly. A US ally does not need to have hostile relations with China. The US and China are not enemies, though we have disagreements. The Phillipines should of course not seek to be hostile to China.
The problem is of course China has to cease its hostility and recognize international law.

You do want an ally though, somone who at least offers to defend you if attacked, it provides some assurance and deterence. It does not need to be one of the other entirely, but you need a side to fall back on. You need a back up plan if things go bad.

The problem here is that China will never stop pulling harder until it wins. If China would drop its claims on rightful Philippines territory and credibly promise not to harm the Philippines things would be different. But the fact is right now China has claims that are inherently hostile to the Philippines. If two people offer to help you, but one is also holding a gun at you and demanding your money, you are left with little choice. Unless you are willing to just give the robber what he wants and pray he does not demand more.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Hastiaka wrote:

A point? You have to remember that the PRC has been our natural enemy since they claimed our rightful territory in the 1960s, heck it's been our territory in accordance with International law since they signed said International law in 1994. This has nothing to do with being too close to any one super power, if the Chinese Government wants to placate us, then they can effectively do so by leaving the West Philippine Sea, otherwise Duterte's anti-American rhetoric will be seen as a pro-Chinese invitation, a sentiment that could even spark a People Power Revolution (given the economy suffers greatly from Capital Flight spurred by Duterte's nonesensical statements).

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Firstly, we can't compare to those countries because as harsh as this sounds, those countries are majority Muslim countries, us as a majority Christian nation was in the same position as Libya in the sense that we removed a totalitarianistic Government, (not through the same method, but still) however we we're able to fill the vacuum of power pretty quickly with a Western styled democratic secular Government, now if we look at the Middle East and North Africa all those that filled the vacuum of power either turned into Totalitarians themselves or became extremist Islamic groups hellbent on terrorising the World.

As for your final point, though that maybe true, it would be counter productive to leave an alliance with States, knowing all to well that they have the best military weapons in the World, the Chinese cannot compare, at all, and they have nuclear weapons, heck they're protesting the placement of the new anti-missile defence system in South Korea by America since they know those things can shoot down Chinese missiles in a sinch too, so if I were to want to anger one superpower, I would be more than willing to anger the illegal and Illegitimate Chinese Government.

The Gamindustrian Union
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Gamindustrian Union » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:03 am

I am scared.

I don't want the Philippines to be more allied with China than the United States.

Why is Rodrigo Duterte like this?
THIS NATION USES A FEW NS STATS
This nation is Hyperdimension and Ultradimension in the Neptunia universe, where the nations decided to become a union à la European Union. This is set in MT, although the tech level is early PMT. What would you expect? It's Neptunia.
Do you even Nep, bro?
Embassy Programme (Open)

Ashkera
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:11 am

The Gamindustrian Union wrote:I am scared.

I don't want the Philippines to be more allied with China than the United States.

Because he was bitten by a radioactive demagogue when he was a child.

More seriously, China won't complain if he kills people he shouldn't be killing, and you know why.

Yugoslav Memes
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Yugoslav Memes » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:21 am

The Gamindustrian Union wrote:I am scared.

I am scared.

People still don't believe he is an android.

Why are people like this?
Factbook - Trobojka

Shooting all the old people is a feasible and effective solution whenever your ideas meet some obstacles.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General