NATION

PASSWORD

Christian theological question.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Does God elect certain people to be saved/condemned?

Yes
21%
No
51%
Spam Fam Answer.
28%

Total votes : 138

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Kamsaki wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:That's not quite true. Even if YOU don't know exactly what will happen, that doesn't mean that it isn't deterministic. It could very well be that what will happen is set in stone and you just happen to be ignorant of it.

Of course. I'm just assuming that nobody knows for the sake of simplicity.

Even if someone does know, though, that doesn't mean the fore-knowledge is what determines the outcome. This would be paradoxical, because your past incarnation knows the outcome as a consequence of the event, which would mean your knowledge is what causes your knowledge.

This is one of the reasons why backward time-travel is paradoxical.
Blouman Empire wrote:Natural is not nature.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

Bluth Corporation wrote:No. A free market literally has zero bubbles.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Mercator Terra wrote: Mental illness is a myth.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:55 pm

New Kereptica wrote:This is one of the reasons why backward time-travel is paradoxical.

Going back in time is only paradoxical if you hold on to the notion that time is absolute. Once you throw that away, the paradoxes can be explained.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Kamsaki
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamsaki » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:59 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:This is one of the reasons why backward time-travel is paradoxical.

Going back in time is only paradoxical if you hold on to the notion that time is absolute. Once you throw that away, the paradoxes can be explained.

You can avoid the paradoxes even in an absolute notion of time, but it does require the surrender of indeterminacy.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Kamsaki wrote:

You can avoid the paradoxes even in an absolute notion of time, but it does require the surrender of indeterminacy.

Or merely the surrender of the notion that one can absolutely know the outcome of an event, be it before or after the event occurred.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Omnicracy
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:24 pm

New Kereptica wrote:
Omnicracy wrote:True, it was an over simplification to the point of being somewhat wrong, I was hoping no one would catch that. While it will definitly play out one way, it is not God making it play out that way, it is God knowing how it plays out. Another example, I get to days lotery numbers and go back in time to befor they were called. I know the nubers that are going to come up, but my knowledge of it does not make them come up.

It does, due to the nature of probability. If you know absolutely that something is going to happen a certain way, it has to happen that way. If you didn't know, then there would be other possibilities for the outcome, but since you know what is going to happen, the chances of those other things happening are zero. In effect, you are making things happen.

So, let me see if I understand properly, you believe knowledge of an event makes the event occur?

Kamsaki
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamsaki » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:27 pm

New Kereptica wrote:
Kamsaki wrote:You can avoid the paradoxes even in an absolute notion of time, but it does require the surrender of indeterminacy.

Or merely the surrender of the notion that one can absolutely know the outcome of an event, be it before or after the event occurred.

I'd suggest that this is just because you've included knowledge as metaphysically causal. You wouldn't generally see agreement on this factor.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:37 pm

Omnicracy wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:
Omnicracy wrote:True, it was an over simplification to the point of being somewhat wrong, I was hoping no one would catch that. While it will definitly play out one way, it is not God making it play out that way, it is God knowing how it plays out. Another example, I get to days lotery numbers and go back in time to befor they were called. I know the nubers that are going to come up, but my knowledge of it does not make them come up.

It does, due to the nature of probability. If you know absolutely that something is going to happen a certain way, it has to happen that way. If you didn't know, then there would be other possibilities for the outcome, but since you know what is going to happen, the chances of those other things happening are zero. In effect, you are making things happen.

So, let me see if I understand properly, you believe knowledge of an event makes the event occur?

Absolute knowledge of the outcome of an event before the event occurs is equivalent to causing the outcome.

Omnicracy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:38 pm

New Kereptica wrote:
Omnicracy wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:

Absolute knowledge of the outcome of an event before the event occurs is equivalent to causing the outcome.

You understand that is equvilent to saying knowing where an object isright now causes the object to be there, right?

Kamsaki
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamsaki » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:39 pm

New Kereptica wrote:Absolute knowledge of the outcome of an event before the event occurs is equivalent to causing the outcome.

You need to be careful on this: I think you mean to say only if the outcome would otherwise be dependent on truly random factors.

Tech-gnosis
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Tech-gnosis » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:40 pm

New Kereptica wrote:Absolute knowledge of the outcome of an event before the event occurs is equivalent to causing the outcome.

How so?

Omnicracy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Kamsaki wrote:

You need to be careful on this: I think you mean to say only if the outcome would otherwise be dependent on truly random factors.

Could you explain what you just said? I think I missed part of it.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Kamsaki wrote:

I do indeed.

Omnicracy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:46 pm

New Kereptica wrote:
Kamsaki wrote:

I do indeed.

But is time not a relitive demention? Therefor, is not knowledge of all dementions simultaniously similar to our animalist view of three dementions, just on a level we cannot yet comprehend?

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:46 pm

Tech-gnosis wrote:

How so?

If one has absolute knowledge of the outcome of an event before that event occurs, providing that if that observer didn't have absolute knowledge of the outcome the outcome would be dependent on probability, then that knowledge can be said to have caused the outcome, as its existence makes any other outcome impossible.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:48 pm

No, it isn't.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:49 pm

Omnicracy wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:
Kamsaki wrote:

I do indeed.

But is time not a relitive demention? Therefor, is not knowledge of all dementions simultaniously similar to our animalist view of three dementions, just on a level we cannot yet comprehend?

It is indeed, and that's where the problem with absolute knowledge comes in. One's knowledge of the outcome of an event after it occurred is only more certain that one's knowledge of the outcome before it occurred, not absolute.

RAHIT RA
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby RAHIT RA » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:50 pm

Omnicracy wrote:You understand that is equvilent to saying knowing where an object isright now causes the object to be there, right?

seems legit

schrodinger and all that

before something is observed it does not have position

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:50 pm

You have your causality mixed up. If absolute knowledge of the future is possible, then the future must be determined. However, it is the fact that the future is deterministic that makes absolute knowledge possible, not the fact that absolute knowledge is possible that makes the future determined.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:51 pm

RAHIT RA wrote:seems legit

schrodinger and all that

That's not entirely accurate. The wavefunction needn't really have actual physical existence. It more has to do with our potential for knowledge about the system.

RAHIT RA
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby RAHIT RA » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:54 pm

RAHIT RA wrote:seems legit

schrodinger and all that

That's not entirely accurate. The wavefunction needn't really have actual physical existence. It more has to do with our potential for knowledge about the system.

if the wavefunction doesn't have physical existence how does anything have physical existence ? :?

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:56 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:You have your causality mixed up. If absolute knowledge of the future is possible, then the future must be determined. However, it is the fact that the future is deterministic that makes absolute knowledge possible, not the fact that absolute knowledge is possible that makes the future determined.

If absolute knowledge were merely possible, then the determinism of the future would make it so, as it would be possible for it merely to not exist and the future to remain deterministic. However, if absolute knowledge actually does exist, then I see no way determinism and the existence of absolute knowledge could be separated, to say nothing of one causing the other.

Omnicracy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Omnicracy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:57 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:You have your causality mixed up. If absolute knowledge of the future is possible, then the future must be determined. However, it is the fact that the future is deterministic that makes absolute knowledge possible, not the fact that absolute knowledge is possible that makes the future determined.

So, It's like what I was saying with my spacial example or no?

Kamsaki
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kamsaki » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:14 pm

Omnicracy wrote:
Kamsaki wrote:

Could you explain what you just said? I think I missed part of it.

The query about the relationship between future states and observers is kinda a controversial topic in quantum physics. Absolute knowledge, as Kereptica is taking it, basically means something like the following:

I absolutely know X if:
A) I have observed that X happens/ed
B) I remember that I have observed that X happens/ed
C) My remembering that I have observed that X happens/ed logically entails that X actually happens/ed

What this means, as applied to real randomness in physical systems, is that in A), we fix an event from something that is truly random to its outcome, and B) and C) mean that my knowledge provides a constraint on this outcome such that it remains fixed for as long as both hold.

Absolute knowledge thereby is supposed to mean that the state of any random event is constrained to be that which my absolute knowledge has it fixed to.

This is somewhat controversial, as most people would like the three conditions to be the case for most of our everyday circumstances. C) is probably the most controversial one, and we could probably be prepared to accept that memory doesn't actually provide a sound basis for the truth of what we remember, but the kinds of cases Kereptica is suggesting would mean that even something like "Absolute knowledge of facts we're specifically trying to remember for a duration of about five minutes" must be denied, which is quite a skeptical position.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:Here is the pertinent article from the ultra-Calvinist Canons of Dordt
from a Reformed Church sources.

The Reformed Church still avows these points, which clearly do support an affirmation of predestination to hell as well as to heaven.

"Article 6: God's Eternal Decree

The fact that some receive from God the gift of faith within time, and that others do not, stems from God's eternal decree. "Thus says the Lord, who has been making these things known from long ago." In accordance with this decree God graciously softens the hearts, however hard, of the chosen ones and inclines them to believe, but by just judgment God leaves in their wickedness and hardness of heart those who have not been chosen. And in this especially is disclosed to us God's act--unfathomable, and as merciful as it is just--of distinguishing between people equally lost. This is the well-known decision of election and reprobation revealed in God's Word. The wicked, impure, and unstable distort this decree to their own ruin, but it provides holy and godly souls with comfort beyond words."

http://www.rca.org/Page.aspx?pid=415

Sorry guys, that may be your God but it ain't mine.

isnt that an extremely ugly view of god?

It doesn't appeal to me, but each one to his own tastes.
Some people have a great need to have everything nailed down, I think.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Escafin
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Escafin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:28 pm

Are you talking about predestination, or final judgment?

The largest Christian faith (the Catholic Church, which I belong to) promotes the idea that it is the individual choice of a human being to commit sin and ask forgiveness, so it is ultimately the human being who decides his future.

Calvinists, however, are amongst some Christians to believe in the concept of predestination; that is, one cannot change their final destination in heaven or hell because it has already been decided.

Also, God is omnipotent, but it's a trick question as to ask "can He do everything"? No, He cannot. It is doctrine of the Church that God cannot commit sin or evil, and thus is not capable of everything.
AKA: AUGARUNDUS' ALT

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General