NATION

PASSWORD

Ukrainian Crisis

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Timurid Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Timurid Empire » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:05 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Timurid Empire wrote:
So they have really done nothing wrong? Tell me when they start up concentration camps. What they want to do with Crimea - LEGALLY Ukrainian territory - is between the political establishment of Ukraine.

1) They have beaten Communist party members in the streets.

2) They cannot remove the autonomy of the Crimea; if they do, then the people of the Crimea will be really goddamn pissed, since only 6% would be okay with being an ordinary Oblast.

1) I'm sure MANY people of varying ethnicity and political ideology were beaten in the streets. Such is what happens during a Revolution.

2) That is an internal thing for Ukraine to deal with. Not Russia nor the concern of anyone else.
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28

Estruia
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Estruia » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:05 pm

I'm unsure if this was brought up earlier in the thread, but Russian fighter jets entered Ukrainian airspace twice during the night.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/03/0 ... W520140303
31/Genderfluid/ENFP Currently living in the US (Michigan).

Pro: Western Social Democracy, Western Liberal Democracy, Irish Freedom, United Ireland, Scottish Independence, Sinn Fein, SNP, Plaid Cymru, Pan-Celticism, Pan-Germanism, Guaranteed Minimum Income, 2SLGBTQIA+ Rights, Israel, Taiwan

Neutral: Gun Rights, British Labour Party, British Tories, Masculism

Anti: Islamism, Arab Nationalism, Palestine, Russian Imperialism, Ukrainian Nationalism, Pan-Slavism, LDPR, Vladimir Putin, Front Nationale, UKIP, BNP, Third-wave Feminism, Science-denial, Alt-Right Politics, China

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:06 pm

greed and death wrote:
United States Of Devonta wrote:
As far as we know a few police and maybe a few boarder guards, Most of these held against there will. Although there has only been one high profile defection the Ukrainian navy commander. But for the most part there refusing to surrender. These Ukranians will fight to the death, I have found new respect for the Ukrainians.

Read this-

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/m ... berezovsky

If the Ukrainian navy fights the Russians they will end up at the bottom of the black sea. The Russian Navy was designed to fight the US, the Ukrainians will be about as difficult as the Iraqi navy was for us.

If Turkey can be talked into closing access to the black sea a surprise attack might be able to unbalance the Russians enough to allow the Ukrainian navy to sufficiently disrupt Russian supply lines.

Turkish foreign minister on Crimea and Russia.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:07 pm

Timurid Empire wrote:
So they have really done nothing wrong? Tell me when they start up concentration camps. What they want to do with Crimea - LEGALLY Ukrainian territory - is between the political establishment of Ukraine.

1) They have beaten Communist party members in the streets.

2) They cannot remove the autonomy of the Crimea; if they do, then the people of the Crimea will be really goddamn pissed, since only 6% would be okay with being an ordinary Oblast.

1) Says the guy who not to long ago said he wanted to arm the Communist Party and workers to clash with them.
2) Ever hear of compromising? I'm sure that'll be one thing they're willing to drop in favour of some other things.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:07 pm

Estruia wrote:I'm unsure if this was brought up earlier in the thread, but Russian fighter jets entered Ukrainian airspace twice during the night.

MIG-31 interceptors?

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:07 pm

Timurid Empire wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:1) They have beaten Communist party members in the streets.

1) I'm sure MANY people of varying ethnicity and political ideology were beaten in the streets. Such is what happens during a Revolution.

2) That is an internal thing for Ukraine to deal with. Not Russia nor the concern of anyone else.

No, it is the decision for the Crimeans to make, and they do not approve of such a policy. If the Ukraine's government were to do that, then the vast majority of the Crimea's population would likely welcome a Russian "invasion" with open arms, and, if not, would declare independence.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:08 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Shofercia wrote:So it won't be shipping out for duty anytime soon?

Not with Russian Navy vessels preventing it from leaving.

It's in Cyprus.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:08 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:1) They have beaten Communist party members in the streets.

1) Says the guy who not to long ago said he wanted to arm the Communist Party and workers to clash with them.
2) Ever hear of compromising? I'm sure that'll be one thing they're willing to drop in favour of some other things.

1) For the defense of the workers; we've seen what Golden Dawn does in Greece.

2) Who exactly would they be compromising with?
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

Estruia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Estruia » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:09 pm

The balkens wrote:
Estruia wrote:I'm unsure if this was brought up earlier in the thread, but Russian fighter jets entered Ukrainian airspace twice during the night.

MIG-31 interceptors?

There was no mention of a MiG-31, all that I saw was that Ukraine scrambled an SU-27 to head off the Russian jets.
Last edited by Estruia on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pro: Western Social Democracy, Western Liberal Democracy, Irish Freedom, United Ireland, Scottish Independence, Sinn Fein, SNP, Plaid Cymru, Pan-Celticism, Pan-Germanism, Guaranteed Minimum Income, 2SLGBTQIA+ Rights, Israel, Taiwan

Anti: Islamism, Arab Nationalism, Palestine, Russian Imperialism, Ukrainian Nationalism, Pan-Slavism, LDPR, Vladimir Putin, Front Nationale, UKIP, BNP, Third-wave Feminism, Science-denial, Alt-Right Politics, China

Timurid Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Timurid Empire » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:10 pm

Timurid Empire wrote:

No, it is the decision for the Crimeans to make, and they do not approve of such a policy. If the Ukraine's government were to do that, then the vast majority of the Crimea's population would likely welcome a Russian "invasion" with open arms, and, if not, would declare independence.

Just for clarification, when I say it is an internal thing for Ukraine to deal with, I mean for Ukrainian citizens, which includes the people of Crimea. If the people of the lands of Ukrainian Crimea want autonomy or some such, they can petition for it, and I'd say power to 'em. But not when there are Russian troops marching through the land.

Free Kolechia
Attaché

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Free Kolechia » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:10 pm

None of this looks good, I hope something can be worked out, and real quick.

EDIT: And isn't there a deadline coming up?
Last edited by Free Kolechia on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, this nation was inspired by the video game.

Embassy Program

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:10 pm

US Pentagon announced that it will suspend or military engagements with Russia, which in my opinion is causing fresh divisions.

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 20, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:11 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:
greed and death wrote:
If the Ukrainian navy fights the Russians they will end up at the bottom of the black sea. The Russian Navy was designed to fight the US, the Ukrainians will be about as difficult as the Iraqi navy was for us.

If Turkey can be talked into closing access to the black sea a surprise attack might be able to unbalance the Russians enough to allow the Ukrainian navy to sufficiently disrupt Russian supply lines.

If Turkey gets involved that would be extra troops and planes for the Ukrainians and might drag in Nato.

Also Navy support. Although this is very unlikely.
US Air Force E-4
Twenty-Five, Male, Lightskin, Social Democrat, Proud Kansan

Proud member of the IFC, SA, IHAPC, IDS, PEDC, IBE, ISA nation!

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:11 pm

Estruia wrote:
The balkens wrote:
MIG-31 interceptors?

There was no mention of a MiG-31, all that I saw was that Ukraine scrambled an SU-27 to head off the Russian jets.

That's what I thought the Russians used...

But I'm glad the UAF got one off the ground.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:12 pm

Napkiraly wrote:1) Says the guy who not to long ago said he wanted to arm the Communist Party and workers to clash with them.

1) For the defense of the workers; we've seen what Golden Dawn does in Greece.

1) I thought it was to crush fascism?

2) The other political parties in the event of needing to form some form of coalition government of sorts.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:12 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:
greed and death wrote:

Looks like fence sitting, I think some US foreign aid may sway him to the right side.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Baltenstein wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:
Not with Russian Navy vessels preventing it from leaving.

It's in Cyprus.

No, The Frigate is in Cyprus but the rest of the ships are trapped in Port by Russian ships in Crimea. The Frigate just got finished with Naval exercises with Nato navies.
US Air Force E-4

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:1) For the defense of the workers; we've seen what Golden Dawn does in Greece.

1) I thought it was to crush fascism?

2) The other political parties in the event of needing to form some form of coalition government of sorts.

1) Crushing fascism is the defense of the workers.

2) They are already in coalition, and have been for nearly a year.

Estruia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Estruia » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:13 pm

The balkens wrote:
Estruia wrote:

That's what I thought the Russians used...

But I'm glad the UAF got one off the ground.

I haven't been able to find any reports on what the Russians used, all I can find is just the generic "fighter jets"

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Timurid Empire wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:No, it is the decision for the Crimeans to make, and they do not approve of such a policy. If the Ukraine's government were to do that, then the vast majority of the Crimea's population would likely welcome a Russian "invasion" with open arms, and, if not, would declare independence.

Just for clarification, when I say it is an internal thing for Ukraine to deal with, I mean for Ukrainian citizens, which includes the people of Crimea. If the people of the lands of Ukrainian Crimea want autonomy or some such, they can petition for it, and I'd say power to 'em. But not when there are Russian troops marching through the land.

There is no such thing as "Ukrainian Crimea"; the idea of Crimea being Ukrainian is silly.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:14 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:Yes, I've responded to your butthurt over my reference to the leader of the Tatar's statements about Russian annexation.

You blew up as if I said any Tatar resistance would be effective. Your long explanation of how wrong I was is impressive if you assume that's what I said. Which it wasn't.

I, for one, don't see the problem with basing a prediction of what could happen off of what a community's leader says is going to happen as it relates to that community's actions.
Chubarov has since come out and said he's urging calm and peace because Kyiv says that's the best way of handling the situation.
So he was wrong/lying before or he's waiting to see how things play out. That doesn't make my raising the specter of what he said would happen some offense unless you disregard everything people in powerful positions say.

So kindly fuck off with your constant, baseless whinging over an innocuous reference I made to a group's possible actions based on what that group's leader said those possible actions would be.

Damn, that post sound extremely butthurt. "Kindly fuck off" - that's a very butthurt thing to say (1). Anyways, what happened is that you made a stupid claim, I explained why said claim would be stupid, you defended said claim, and I made fun of said defense (2). Then you went off to pretend that I'm butthurt, when I kept on making fun of it (3). Additionally, you used the term, "insurgency", which implies a revolt of some kind (4). You furthermore linked that to the Chechen Insurgency, which was, at least, partially effective until 2006 (5). Now you're claiming that what you said, wasn't actually what you said (6). In case you need a memory refresher, here is what you said:

Occupied Deutschland wrote:They despise Russia more than the government in Kiev could even hope to. Should the Russians come waltzing in, they'd more likely than not face an insurgency similar to that that occurred in Ichkeria/Chechnya.

(7)
And now you're telling us that post didn't imply an effective insurgency? Still waiting for that insurgency OD.

1) Not really. More just annoyed at constant explanation falling on deaf ears.

2) Not really. I made a claim based on what the leader of the Tatars said. You explained why what he said they'd do would be ineffective. I defended said claim. You got butthurt and reference it at the drop of a hat.

3) See above.

4) A+. You know the definition of insurgency.

5) Sure. Purpose of the linkage was because it was also anti-Russia. I made no claim as to the effectiveness of a potential Tatar insurgency.

6) No, you're just reading much more into what I said than is there. You're seeing snakes in the grass when you're on a mowed lawn.

7) Yep, that's what I said. You'll notice it doesn't reference how effective the campaign would be.

Here, I'll admit, Chechnya/Ichkeria is the only anti-Russia insurgency I could think of off the top of my head to compare a potential Tatar one to. It's likely not a good comparison because it was semi-sorta effective. Happy?
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:15 pm

According to the former Georgian president via CNN interviewthe Ukrainians have the capabilities to shoot down many Russian aircraft. Ukrainians Air defense is surprisingly strong.
Last edited by United States of Devonta on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US Air Force E-4

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:15 pm

United States Of Devonta wrote:If Turkey gets involved that would be extra troops and planes for the Ukrainians and might drag in Nato.

The Turks are willing to get involved at least militarily because of how they view fellow Turkic peoples such as the Tartars, whom they view as "compatriots" due to some misguided idea of ethnic nationalism.

Poland's also invoked Article 4 of the NATO treaty so God only knows what they're planning.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Timurid Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Timurid Empire » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:16 pm

Timurid Empire wrote:

There is no such thing as "Ukrainian Crimea"; the idea of Crimea being Ukrainian is silly.

Crimea was put under the control of Ukraine. Thus it is Ukrainian territory.

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:16 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
United States Of Devonta wrote:If Turkey gets involved that would be extra troops and planes for the Ukrainians and might drag in Nato.

The Turks are willing to get involved at least militarily because of how they view fellow Turkic peoples such as the Tartars, whom they view as "compatriots" due to some misguided idea of ethnic nationalism.

Poland's also invoked Article 4 of the NATO treaty so God only knows what they're planning.

Not just Poland but Lithuania to.
Last edited by United States of Devonta on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US Air Force E-4

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General