NATION

PASSWORD

Tech Discussion Thread: Long live the Calculator Master Race

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:29 am

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:07 am

Wow, it seems like they're appealing to reason rather than emotion. Already beats any apple ad.
it is my firm belief that I should never have to justify my beliefs.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:23 am

Ainin wrote:

I probably won't use it, but it's supposedly going to take the best of Siri and Google Now, and then add a bunch of features on top of that. Should make it more appealing.

Tlik
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tlik » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:22 am

"No-kia"? What's up with that pronunciation?

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:35 am

Tlik wrote:

Canada.

Tlik
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tlik » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:13 am

Divair wrote:
Tlik wrote:"No-kia"? What's up with that pronunciation?

Canada.

It explains a lot, tbh.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:15 am

Tlik wrote:
Divair wrote:Canada.

It explains a lot, tbh.

Indeed. North America generally fucks up the pronunciation.

Hladgos
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hladgos » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:41 am

Divair wrote:
Tlik wrote:It explains a lot, tbh.

Indeed. North America generally fucks up the pronunciation.

You're welcome. No-keea.
Divair wrote:Hladcore.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're a nut. I like that.
Pro: being outside, conserving our Earth, the pursuit of happiness, universal acceptance
Anti: ignorance and intolerance
Life is suffering. Suffering is caused by craving and aversion. Suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained. Live a moral life.

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny." -Stephen Hawking

"The purpose of our life is to be happy." -Dali Lama

"If I had no sense of humor, I would have long ago committed suicide." -Gandhi

"Don't worry, be happy!" -Bobby McFerrin

Silly Pride

"No." -Dya

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:48 am

Hladgos wrote:
Divair wrote:Indeed. North America generally fucks up the pronunciation.

You're welcome. No-keea.

How else would one pronounce it, without being a nazi commie terrorist?

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:05 pm

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:28 pm

Tlik wrote:

We're not big fans of Kia.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:56 pm

Divair wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucKcBZNbMiU
This'll do.

I thought that was an advertisement for linux mint on the windows phone.

Aeken
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeken » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Breadknife
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Breadknife » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:18 pm

I'm obviously a fuddy-duddy. I just can't get excited about these "new directions" for Office. I don't begrudge Cloud-capability, per se, but I don't like things like the 365 licencing model (or, to be honest, the interface ever since they gave us the so-called "Intuitive Ribbon").

But, as I intimated, I recall Office from before it was officially Office. Let's see how long I can use the 2003 version (alternating with its two main free Office rivals...). I think I can ignore MS's latest output to the same extent as I learnt to ignore or get around the vaguaries of the various Works suites, in years past...
Ceci n'est pas une griffe.

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:54 pm

I would be so much happier if everyone stopped saying "the cloud" and started saying "servers". Because, you know, that's what the cloud is.

Breadknife
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Breadknife » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:I would be so much happier if everyone stopped saying "the cloud" and started saying "servers". Because, you know, that's what the cloud is.

As a useful shoftcut to "amorphous combination of multiple address-abstracted servers using dynamic load-/demand-handling and RAID-like failsafe mechanisms for both data and processing services across both geographic and subnet separations" (depending on how little or much "cloudlike" a given example actually is), I think it's probably acceptible to use "the cloud" as less of a mouthful. And with less need to know the precise capabilities of whichever cumulus analogue one happens to be describing at the time (e.g. whether indexed by a single master server (with backups!) or treated as entirely multipeer-indexed once you get the initial introduction...).

Ultimately a Cloud might as well just be a further 'OSI Layer 5-7' abstraction on top of mirrored FTP/whatever servers, of course, as has been practiced for a long time by those who cared to implement such a system. It's not as if even "cloud processing" is a new concept, although not known by any such name until fairly recently... But now it's open to non-technical users, so a non-technical moniker gets adopted and popularised.

(But I still don't liket he idea of everything becoming "Cloudy", when it doesn't have to be. Especially if it means I can't use applications on "not-always-online" devices, which for pretty practical reasons I would rather like to do.)

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:40 pm

Breadknife wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:I would be so much happier if everyone stopped saying "the cloud" and started saying "servers". Because, you know, that's what the cloud is.

As a useful shoftcut to "amorphous combination of multiple address-abstracted servers using dynamic load-/demand-handling and RAID-like failsafe mechanisms for both data and processing services across both geographic and subnet separations" (depending on how little or much "cloudlike" a given example actually is), I think it's probably acceptible to use "the cloud" as less of a mouthful. And with less need to know the precise capabilities of whichever cumulus analogue one happens to be describing at the time (e.g. whether indexed by a single master server (with backups!) or treated as entirely multipeer-indexed once you get the initial introduction...).

Ultimately a Cloud might as well just be a further 'OSI Layer 5-7' abstraction on top of mirrored FTP/whatever servers, of course, as has been practiced for a long time by those who cared to implement such a system. It's not as if even "cloud processing" is a new concept, although not known by any such name until fairly recently... But now it's open to non-technical users, so a non-technical moniker gets adopted and popularised.

(But I still don't liket he idea of everything becoming "Cloudy", when it doesn't have to be. Especially if it means I can't use applications on "not-always-online" devices, which for pretty practical reasons I would rather like to do.)

Well basically it'd be nicer if instead of saying "it's in the cloud!" people said "It's on a server!" It would just make the whole thing seem like less of some magical abstraction where you put data in and it comes back out later.

Breadknife
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Breadknife » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:54 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:Well basically it'd be nicer if instead of saying "it's in the cloud!" people said "It's on a server!" It would just make the whole thing seem like less of some magical abstraction where you put data in and it comes back out later.
Minus the "magical" (arguably) that's what it is, though. (Or could be. YCloudMV.)

Without the mystical "cloud" term, we'd have Hoi Poloi asking "but which server is it on?", and we have to say "Ummm... dunno. Could be any one of several. Or any several of several."

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Thread revival, go!

Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General