NATION

PASSWORD

Your cultural heritage?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Mataniya Islands
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Mataniya Islands » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:56 pm

Disserbia wrote:
The Mataniya Islands wrote:So Irish people make the mix weird do they? :o

The only people stranger than the Irish are the English.

Em, incorrect... :shock:

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Arglorand wrote:I found myself less attracted to ethnic nationalism when I learned I was almost entirely not Lithuanian.

Of course not Lithuania is basically Russia anyway.

I know you're joking, but it's arguably not even remotely similar.

We only share the penchants for homophobia, racism, and drinking.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:57 pm

The Mataniya Islands wrote:
Disserbia wrote:The only people stranger than the Irish are the English.

Em, incorrect... :shock:

Lol prove me wrong
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Minarchist States
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Minarchist States » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:58 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Minarchist States wrote:
Free will decides what our choices are based on. There is no culture, there's just a similar collection of traditions that vary from region to region. You wouldn't say "race" exists when so many variations and interpretations of said "race" exists. Same with culture. It's all in your head.

And the word for that is culture.

Which is not uniform. Which cannot be seen as uniform.

Like race it's a fallacy to see any group of people as cohesive.
Last edited by Minarchist States on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otherwise known as The Liberated Territories
Join Team Vestmark - NSGS Reboot

The Mataniya Islands
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mataniya Islands » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:58 pm

Arglorand wrote:
The Mataniya Islands wrote:Well I'll accept that, but in future be a bit more descriptive you could have saved me a lot of my free time.. Have you any idea how long I work?! :mad: :palm:

This is also another proof of what I've said before - "southern Irish" usually means someone from Cork. :P

Well yeah southern Irish is what we call people from Invernia (Cork and Kerry) and possibly other areas of Munster Province.
You know the kind.... the ones with those chirpy accents...

Albaie
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Albaie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:58 pm

Albaie wrote:My family is some weird mix of Irish/Scottish/Italian but my family aren't sure about my dads family as my great grandfather was kicked out of his family pretty much due to him being Protestant and him wanting to marry a Catholic and so except for my grandad and his dad we know little about my family.

So Irish people make the mix weird do they? :o

Nah more the Italians. The Irish side is the only side where I actually know what my Great Grandfather did.
Emperor Michael II Dubrack Dubracksson his most catholic majesty, the papal gentlemen, Crusher of the Republic. Emperor of Albaie islands, New Albaie, Rutenburg, Petrelle, Dubracksland-Newfoundland, Leifson-Newfoundland, Dubracksland, Firecount, Wetern, Retu, Tere, Ilop, Yerekn, Tenke and Hurte.
Crown Prince Dubrack Dubrack Dubracksson
Rated AAA by InterHoh Orginzation
King of the Nationstates Loyalist Resistance Army
Embassy Thread

Rodorm
Secretary

Founded: May 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodorm » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm Haitian but my mother's family is heavily mixed.

Like, really mixed. My mother and her siblings look more Hispanic then black...and some other relatives look like they have some Asian blood in them.

As for my dad's side...they're just black. :p

The Kingdom of Nea Hellas
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kingdom of Nea Hellas » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:59 pm

100% Greek- American, proud of my old Fatherland, but appreciative and caring about my new Homeland.

Ζήτω Η Ελλάδα !

Ζήτω Η Αμερική !

Mollary
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mollary » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Disserbia wrote:Of course not Lithuania is basically Russia anyway.

I know you're joking, but it's arguably not even remotely similar.

Hate and alcohol can unite most people.
Good stuff
Apathy
Bad things

Chedastan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 25, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Chedastan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:00 pm

I have ancestors from Ireland, France, Germany, Poland, Lithuania. Yep...
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

Albaie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Albaie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Arglorand wrote:This is also another proof of what I've said before - "southern Irish" usually means someone from Cork. :P

Well yeah southern Irish is what we call people from Invernia (Cork and Kerry) and possibly other areas of Munster Province.

As my family are from County Donegal I never know how to describe where they are from in Ireland.
Emperor Michael II Dubrack Dubracksson his most catholic majesty, the papal gentlemen, Crusher of the Republic. Emperor of Albaie islands, New Albaie, Rutenburg, Petrelle, Dubracksland-Newfoundland, Leifson-Newfoundland, Dubracksland, Firecount, Wetern, Retu, Tere, Ilop, Yerekn, Tenke and Hurte.
Embassy Thread

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Zottistan wrote:
Disserbia wrote:The reason the world is the way it is today is because of culture. What we eat what we wear what language we speak what think is right and wrong are all from the evolution of thought which inextricably tied to culture. Globalization to this degree is a very recent development considering human history.

And a person knowing what cultures they hail from has what influence on them? People can dismiss cultures, switch cultures, mix cultures, etc.

Cultures change over time and are always dynamic but they still retain an ancestral thread - from the people you identify as 'family', the food you eat and how you eat it, what you value as important and your ideal of the 'right' way to behave at any given time is all determined by the traditions of your ancestors. Even the things you choose to rebel against and dismiss are determined by your cultural view of them

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Albaie wrote:
The Mataniya Islands wrote:Well yeah southern Irish is what we call people from Invernia (Cork and Kerry) and possibly other areas of Munster Province.

As my family are from County Donegal I never know how to describe where they are from in Ireland.

Northwest Ireland.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Mollary wrote:
Arglorand wrote:I know you're joking, but it's arguably not even remotely similar.

My I quote that to my sig?

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
PC:
PS:
PT:

The Mataniya Islands
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mataniya Islands » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Albaie wrote:
The Mataniya Islands wrote:Well yeah southern Irish is what we call people from Invernia (Cork and Kerry) and possibly other areas of Munster Province.

Oh Jesus, their accents are delightful too... very Northern but very unique too...
Here's a fun fact; did you know Donegal means 'fort of the foreigners' in Irish? :hug:

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Mollary wrote:
Arglorand wrote:I know you're joking, but it's arguably not even remotely similar.

Except if you start hating those people you're united with, too. Welcome to the former USSR.

Albaie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Albaie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Albaie wrote:

Northwest Ireland.

I never thought about that I normally just say that bit of Northern Ireland not actually in Northern Ireland and when I see a map of Ireland with Donegal included in Northern Ireland I get a bit mad.
Embassy Thread

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Albaie wrote:
Arglorand wrote:Northwest Ireland.

I never thought about that I normally just say that bit of Northern Ireland not actually in Northern Ireland and when I see a map of Ireland with Donegal included in Northern Ireland I get a bit mad.

lol is someone silly enough to think Donegal is part of NI

Mollary
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mollary » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:04 pm

Disserbia wrote:

My I quote that to my sig?

Certainly.
Arglorand wrote:

Except if you start hating those people you're united with, too. Welcome to the former USSR.

What do we hate? Most things! Why do we hate them? Because we can!
Good stuff
Apathy
Bad things

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Minarchist States wrote:
Disserbia wrote:And the word for that is culture.

Which is not uniform. Which cannot be seen as uniform.

Like race it's a fallacy to see any group of people as cohesive.

Culture has practices though. People can definitively say that something is a part of their ethnic, national, or religious culture.

PC:
PS:
PT:

Albaie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Albaie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Albaie wrote:

lol is someone silly enough to think Donegal is part of NI

Pretty much everyone that goes to my school thanks to them pretty much all being biased English people especially the teachers from the point of view of someone who even though they live in England considers himself to be anything but English the history lessons are almost unbearable always banging on about how great their empire was.
Embassy Thread

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Mollary wrote:
Disserbia wrote:My I quote that to my sig?

Certainly.
Arglorand wrote:Except if you start hating those people you're united with, too. Welcome to the former USSR.

"Hate is legal now, so we have to use the opportunity to hate just because."
Last edited by Arglorand on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Albaie wrote:
Arglorand wrote:lol is someone silly enough to think Donegal is part of NI

Pretty much everyone that goes to my school thanks to them pretty much all being biased English people especially the teachers from the point of view of someone who even though they live in England considers himself to be anything but English the history lessons are almost unbearable always banging on about how great their empire was.

People dreaming about former great empires quickly shut up when you start telling them death tolls for building those empires, and the number of corrupt/dictatorial regimes that now dominate the lands of former empires just because someone came and tried their best to develop a slave's mindset in the local population.

Albaie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Albaie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Albaie wrote:

Oh Jesus, their accents are delightful too... very Northern but very unique too...
Here's a fun fact; did you know Donegal means 'fort of the foreigners' in Irish? :hug:

I love my grans accent it is just brilliant. Never knew that love visiting Donegal Town which I guess must literally be their fort.
Last edited by Albaie on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Embassy Thread

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Mollary wrote:Certainly.

"Hate is legal now, so we have to use the opportunity to hate just because."

People usually have slightly better reasons than that. Slightly.

PC:
PS:
PT:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General