NATION

PASSWORD

Your cultural heritage?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:31 pm

Minarchist States wrote:
Disserbia wrote:There are literally not enough facepalms in the fucking world to adequately address your post.

There is no heritage, only the individual. The individual creates himself, and reason tells him to identify himself with himself.

:rofl:

If you refuse to recognize what you come from you will not understand where you are going.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Minarchist States wrote:
There is no heritage, only the individual. The individual creates himself, and reason tells him to identify himself with himself.

If you refuse to recognize what you come from you will not understand where you are going.

I'm pretty sure both of you are right, because some people see very much importance in knowing why they exist and who their ancestors were, while to some other people it doesn't matter.

Giving fucks about heritage is not universal or necessary, but neither is it necessarily silly or detrimental.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Minarchist States wrote:

What's this observation based on?
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Zottistan wrote:
Disserbia wrote: :rofl:

What's this observation based on?

The fact that society was not born yesterday.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
PC:
PS:
PT:

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Disserbia wrote: :rofl:

I'm pretty sure both of you are right, because some people see very much importance in knowing why they exist and who their ancestors were, while to some other people it doesn't matter.

Giving fucks about heritage is not universal or necessary, but neither is it necessarily silly or detrimental.

Fair enough

PC:
PS:
PT:

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Swedish, Jewish and French

Bolguria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bolguria » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:40 pm

50% Bulgarian

and the other half is Russian.
Народна Pеcпублика Болгурия
People's Republic Of Bolguria

----Cлава|Glory----
-------За|For-------
България|Bulgaria
Come To Slavia!
For - Pan-Slavism, Moderate Nationalism, Ataka (Party), Scandinavian Capitalism, Liberalism, Snowden, LGBT Rights, Abortion, Assad, Putin, Russia, Bulgaria, Serbia.
Neutral - Israel, Religion, America, China, India, Obama, Communism, Fascism, Monarchy, Social Security, Iran, Merkel, E.U, Conservativism, USSR.
Anti - Turkey, Erdogan, Islam, Euro, France, Nazism, Eco-Mentalists, Kebab, Roma, Bush, Terrorism.
I'm a mix of Russian and Bulgarian, and I'm proud of both my bloodlines. I live in London, and attend high school. Follower of Levskism and Pan-Slavism, and a patriot of the Bulgarian Republic.

Boer Republic of South Africa
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Boer Republic of South Africa » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:41 pm

Scottish mother, Welsh father but within those I have Danish, Irish and Irish Traveller

I identity as Scottish, Welsh, Celtic and European
Disclaimer!!! This is not an apartheid nation, I do not support any sort of apartheid and I am not South African! Just incase you were wondering!

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Minarchist States wrote:
Disserbia wrote:There are literally not enough facepalms in the fucking world to adequately address your post.

There is no individual there is only culture, even our choices are culturally determined

Madenia
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Madenia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:42 pm

25% Scottish
25% Irish
12.5% Romanian
12.5% German
12.5% French
12.5% other random European cultures.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Zottistan wrote:What's this observation based on?

The fact that society was not born yesterday.

...Go on...
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Albaie
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Albaie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:43 pm

My family is some weird mix of Irish/Scottish/Italian but my family aren't sure about my dads family as my great grandfather was kicked out of his family pretty much due to him being Protestant and him wanting to marry a Catholic and so except for my grandad and his dad we know little about my family.
Emperor Michael II Dubrack Dubracksson his most catholic majesty, the papal gentlemen, Crusher of the Republic. Emperor of Albaie islands, New Albaie, Rutenburg, Petrelle, Dubracksland-Newfoundland, Leifson-Newfoundland, Dubracksland, Firecount, Wetern, Retu, Tere, Ilop, Yerekn, Tenke and Hurte.
Crown Prince Dubrack Dubrack Dubracksson
Rated AAA by InterHoh Orginzation
King of the Nationstates Loyalist Resistance Army
Embassy Thread

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:48 pm

Zottistan wrote:
Disserbia wrote:The fact that society was not born yesterday.

...Go on...

The reason the world is the way it is today is because of culture. What we eat what we wear what language we speak what think is right and wrong are all from the evolution of thought which inextricably tied to culture. Globalization to this degree is a very recent development considering human history.

PC:
PS:
PT:

The Mataniya Islands
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Mataniya Islands » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:48 pm

Priory Academy USSR wrote:
The Mataniya Islands wrote:

It would be strange to say southern Irish to be quite honest, we prefer just Irish.
On the island of Ireland the vast majority are either Scotch-Irish (Ulster-Scots) or just Irish. I'm guessing by southern Irish you mean the latter.

By southern Irish I mean from County Cork. So southern Irish as in a person from the southern end of the Emerald Isle.

Well I'll accept that, but in future be a bit more descriptive you could have saved me a lot of my free time.. Have you any idea how long I work?! :mad: :palm:

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Zottistan wrote:...Go on...

The reason the world is the way it is today is because of culture. What we eat what we wear what language we speak what think is right and wrong are all from the evolution of thought which inextricably tied to culture. Globalization to this degree is a very recent development considering human history.

And a person knowing what cultures they hail from has what influence on them? People can dismiss cultures, switch cultures, mix cultures, etc.
Last edited by Zottistan on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Mataniya Islands
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mataniya Islands » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:50 pm

Albaie wrote:My family is some weird mix of Irish/Scottish/Italian but my family aren't sure about my dads family as my great grandfather was kicked out of his family pretty much due to him being Protestant and him wanting to marry a Catholic and so except for my grandad and his dad we know little about my family.

So Irish people make the mix weird do they? :o

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Priory Academy USSR wrote:
By southern Irish I mean from County Cork. So southern Irish as in a person from the southern end of the Emerald Isle.

Well I'll accept that, but in future be a bit more descriptive you could have saved me a lot of my free time.. Have you any idea how long I work?! :mad: :palm:

This is also another proof of what I've said before - "southern Irish" usually means someone from Cork. :P
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Zottistan wrote:
Disserbia wrote:The reason the world is the way it is today is because of culture. What we eat what we wear what language we speak what think is right and wrong are all from the evolution of thought which inextricably tied to culture. Globalization to this degree is a very recent development considering human history.

And a person knowing what cultures they hail from has what influence on them?

The person I was responding to said there was no such thing as cultural heritage...what are you on about? We carry on culture by practicing it, it's a fluid thing.

PC:
PS:
PT:

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Zottistan wrote:
Disserbia wrote:The reason the world is the way it is today is because of culture. What we eat what we wear what language we speak what think is right and wrong are all from the evolution of thought which inextricably tied to culture. Globalization to this degree is a very recent development considering human history.

And a person knowing what cultures they hail from has what influence on them?

I found myself less attracted to ethnic nationalism when I learned I was almost entirely not Lithuanian.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Albaie wrote:My family is some weird mix of Irish/Scottish/Italian but my family aren't sure about my dads family as my great grandfather was kicked out of his family pretty much due to him being Protestant and him wanting to marry a Catholic and so except for my grandad and his dad we know little about my family.

So Irish people make the mix weird do they? :o

The only people stranger than the Irish are the English.

PC:
PS:
PT:

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Zottistan wrote:And a person knowing what cultures they hail from has what influence on them?

The person I was responding to said there was no such thing as cultural heritage...what are you on about? We carry on culture by practicing it, it's a fluid thing.

Oh, shit, misread the post you were responding to. Sorry. Now I feel stupid. :b

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Zottistan wrote:And a person knowing what cultures they hail from has what influence on them?

I found myself less attracted to ethnic nationalism when I learned I was almost entirely not Lithuanian.

Of course not Lithuania is basically Russia anyway.

PC:
PS:
PT:

Minarchist States
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Minarchist States » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Cetacea wrote:
Minarchist States wrote:

There is no individual there is only culture, even our choices are culturally determined

Free will decides what our choices are based on. There is no culture, there's just a similar collection of traditions that vary from region to region. You wouldn't say "race" exists when so many variations and interpretations of said "race" exists. Same with culture. It's all in your head.
Otherwise known as The Liberated Territories
Join Team Vestmark - NSGS Reboot

The Mataniya Islands
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mataniya Islands » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:55 pm

Boer Republic of South Africa wrote:Scottish mother, Welsh father but within those I have Danish, Irish and Irish Traveller

I identity as Scottish, Welsh, Celtic and European

Oh I feel so bad that Irish Travellers have such a terrible reputation.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:55 pm

Minarchist States wrote:
Cetacea wrote:

Free will decides what our choices are based on. There is no culture, there's just a similar collection of traditions that vary from region to region. You wouldn't say "race" exists when so many variations and interpretations of said "race" exists. Same with culture. It's all in your head.

And the word for that is culture.

PC:
PS:
PT:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General