NATION

PASSWORD

Is modern society anti-intellectual?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fulflood
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 am

Chinese Regions wrote:It is actually modern society that shows this, how many musical artists these days studied music at school? Why would we need it as part of national curricula?

Many more than average, I'd imagine, if you look at music broadly.

However, that of course is not the only use of studying a subject such as music, which provides a whole swathe of other benefits.

It shows a lack of intellect on your part that you're unable to see the intellectual and mental benefits of studying subjects not purely to take them into an immediate, direct and obvious occupation.
I go under the name Vyvland now (IIWiki page). This account is used for the odd foray into the Senate or NSG.
Straight male British apatheist pacifist environmentalist social liberal

Admin, New Democrat member for Lüborg (504) and ambassador to the Red-Greens in the Aurentine Senate. Minister of Business Safety of Aurentina. Apparently that deserves a ministry, but I'm not complaining. I'm probably none of these things anymore. | The Aurentine Phrasebook, my magnum opus.

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:11 am

Norstal wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:The new generation is becoming stupid because of too much social media. I think that art is important as well as science. Why shouldn't there be GMO labeling? You should be able to know. And the saying that Atheism and New Age beliefs are anti-intellectual is just plain bigoted.

Love it when people blame new technology for the cause of anti-intellectualism, stupidity, or laziness.

"This new cotton-gin will just make the slaves lazier!"

"The new assembly line will just turn us all into automatons!"

I think this is the true cause of anti-intellectualism, if there's any.

Technology is great, but always being on your phone is not. Kids base their self esteem on how many retweets, followers or likes that they have. If your whole life is in your phone such as calendars, you don't have to use your head or organize anything. It is all there for you. Smartphones are great for responsible adults and teenagers, but "tweens" (a word created by the corporations to sell adult clothes to 11 year olds) are not ready for it.

Edlichbury
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Edlichbury » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:11 am

Fulflood wrote:
Chinese Regions wrote:It is actually modern society that shows this, how many musical artists these days studied music at school? Why would we need it as part of national curricula?

Many more than average, I'd imagine, if you look at music broadly.

However, that of course is not the only use of studying a subject such as music, which provides a whole swathe of other benefits.

It shows a lack of intellect on your part that you're unable to see the intellectual and mental benefits of studying subjects not purely to take them into an immediate, direct and obvious occupation.

And let's just remember: studies have shown a rather high positive correlation between academic performance in sciences/math and engaging in the Fine Arts. Music might not develop a cure for cancer, but it will help you develop the skills needed to do so.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:13 am

Leningrad Union wrote:
Norstal wrote:Love it when people blame new technology for the cause of anti-intellectualism, stupidity, or laziness.

Technology is great, but always being on your phone is not. Kids base their self esteem on how many retweets, followers or likes that they have. If your whole life is in your phone such as calendars, you don't have to use your head or organize anything. It is all there for you. Smartphones are great for responsible adults and teenagers, but "tweens" (a word created by the corporations to sell adult clothes to 11 year olds) are not ready for it.

Recording things? Bah. Just remember it. Biggest brain is best brain!
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Hatsunia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 26, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hatsunia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:13 am

The USOT wrote:One need only look however to popular trends such as "I fucking love science" to see that the love of intellectuals is becoming more popular.

Not quite...
Hatsunia | 初音国
The first sound of the future, the society of the future

MT/PMT (Cyberprep) | National Day: August 31 | Ignore NS stats/policies | More than an "anime meme nation" | Less waifu, more wi-fi
Wiki (complete) | Space (WIP) | Map | Capital | MEACU | Micronesia | Tropes | Anthem ♪ | Civ ♫ | Futuristic playlist ♬ | Why Japan needs upgrades

Leningrad Union
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Leningrad Union » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:15 am

Tlaceceyaya wrote:
Leningrad Union wrote:Technology is great, but always being on your phone is not. Kids base their self esteem on how many retweets, followers or likes that they have. If your whole life is in your phone such as calendars, you don't have to use your head or organize anything. It is all there for you. Smartphones are great for responsible adults and teenagers, but "tweens" (a word created by the corporations to sell adult clothes to 11 year olds) are not ready for it.

Recording things? Bah. Just remember it. Biggest brain is best brain!

You are missing the point. Write things down, do whatever on your phone, I don't care. It is when your whole life is on your phone and you use it 24/7 the problem begins.

Brocwika
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Brocwika » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:19 am

You kidding?

There are tons of bourgeoisie hipsters nowadays who (claim to be) intellectuals.

Funny thing is, I know a bunch of hipsters who are communists and communists are known for having a contempt for intellectuals and the intelligentsia.
Vintery, Mintery, Cuttery, Corn
Appleseed and Applethorn
Wire, Briar, Limberlock
Three geese in a flock
One flew east, one flew west...
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Current Time To Doomsday
"A fear of weapons is a sign of undeveloped emotional and sexual maturity"~~Sigmund Freud.

My Website (it's not finished but check it out)

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:20 am

Zottistan wrote:
Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
You know condemning arts as "un-useful" because it hasn't say, cured an ailment, is just another type of "anti-intellectualism", right?

Oh, the irony.

The arts are, by their definition, useless. There's nothing wrong with useless.

Where did you find that definition?
I identify as
a problem

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:20 am

Chinese Regions wrote:Because printing nonsense doesn't cost money :roll:

"This produce has been genetically modified to withstand various plant viruses and preserve the shelf life."

See? Again. You call it "nonsense." Very patronizing. :)

Ink costs nothing apparently.
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:21 am

Leningrad Union wrote:
Norstal wrote:Love it when people blame new technology for the cause of anti-intellectualism, stupidity, or laziness.

Source?

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:22 am

Zottistan wrote:The arts are, by their definition, useless.

The fuck are you talking about?
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:23 am

Chinese Regions wrote:Arts are a privilege of life they aren't a necessity.It is actually modern society that shows this, how many musical artists these days studied music at school? Why would we need it as part of national curricula?

I disagree with that vehemently. We are not mindless robotic automatons who can be satisfied merely by what is useful and practical.

Sport is a privilege as well. Perhaps it should be abolished, after all, what does it achieve? Other than making those who participate in it physically active and healthy, it does nothing.

Sorry, no dice.
Despite being not so athletic I enjoy participating in sport. My point is, society has shown you don't need to go to school to become a popular actor or musician, so why must we teach acting and music in school?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:24 am

Brocwika wrote:You kidding?
There are tons of bourgeoisie hipsters nowadays who (claim to be) intellectuals.
Funny thing is, I know a bunch of hipsters who are communists and communists are known for having a contempt for intellectuals and the intelligentsia.

Really?

Wandering Argonians
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Wandering Argonians » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:24 am

Society being anti-intellectual? I have no idea, though I do not see any evidence to support this.

I will, however, note that the quality of the majority of writing on NationStates has steadily declined over the past decade or so. Subtle concepts like grammar, syntax, and punctuation seem to be optional these days. Spelling I don't really factor in as there are spell-check programs in Google Chrome to correct that particular issue.

One needs only to browse Facebook to be further awakened to this phenomenon. It's not that people are illiterate, it's that they aren't as literate as they likely should be. This is, of course, a matter of opinion. The English language may very well be evolving into a far more logical and efficient format via such crucibles as shorthand text-speak and internet lingo. Then again that might just spawn another 'Art VS Science' debate in and of itself.

I'd just rather not pick up a book when I'm ninety and it be written in "i r lol 2 u rofl?" format. :eyebrow:

It does seem that we've lost the sense of 'rugged individualism' that defined the United States in decades past. Perhaps this decline in 'literacy' is just a symptom of that.

Again, this is all based on observations I've made. It's just a matter of opinion.
-Member; NationStates Private Military Corporation Guild (NSPMCG)
-Member; Galactic Economic and Security Organization (GESO)

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:25 am

It has greatly decreased, but unfortunately such an attitude still does exist.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:26 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Zottistan wrote:The arts are, by their definition, useless.

The fuck are you talking about?

Name an art that has a practical use.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

The USOT
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:26 am

Hatsunia wrote:
The USOT wrote:One need only look however to popular trends such as "I fucking love science" to see that the love of intellectuals is becoming more popular.

Not quite...

That page is well known, and is very selective. Yea the page does often involve photography, and
Loves Neil. It ignores that most the posts have links to articles that the photos display and the fact that obviously photos of events which are discussed in scientific magazines and those whotry to bring science to public knowledge is an effective tactic to spread public awareness. It's a dumb critique.
Eco-Friendly Green Cyborg Santa Claus

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Peter Timmerman, “Defending Materialism"

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:26 am

Chinese Regions wrote:People pushing for arts over sciences in schools

1. How does this constitute "anti-intellectualism"? Are you quite sure you know what you're talking about?

2. I wish this were the case.
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Edlichbury
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Edlichbury » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:27 am

Chinese Regions wrote:
I disagree with that vehemently. We are not mindless robotic automatons who can be satisfied merely by what is useful and practical.

Sport is a privilege as well. Perhaps it should be abolished, after all, what does it achieve? Other than making those who participate in it physically active and healthy, it does nothing.

Sorry, no dice.
Despite being not so athletic I enjoy participating in sport. My point is, society has shown you don't need to go to school to become a popular actor or musician, so why must we teach acting and music in school?

Because studies, intellectual studies, have shown that acting and music education provides benefits in other fields, especially math. What society has actually shown is that having an intellectual, innovative, and well-educated population starts by not deeming certain parts of an education wholly unimportant.

If you want to really combat anti-intellectualism, fight against those who, like yourself, assume that the arts have no practical benefit when statistical evidence strongly disagrees.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:27 am

Zottistan wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:The fuck are you talking about?

There is no absolute practicality, the term "practical" is used to refer to things more or less productive or feasible in a specific context.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:28 am

Wandering Argonians wrote:Society being anti-intellectual? I have no idea, though I do not see any evidence to support this.
I will, however, note that the quality of the majority of writing on NationStates has steadily declined over the past decade or so. Subtle concepts like grammar, syntax, and punctuation seem to be optional these days. Spelling I don't really factor in as there are spell-check programs in Google Chrome to correct that particular issue.
One needs only to browse Facebook to be further awakened to this phenomenon. It's not that people are illiterate, it's that they aren't as literate as they likely should be. This is, of course, a matter of opinion. The English language may very well be evolving into a far more logical and efficient format via such crucibles as shorthand text-speak and internet lingo. Then again that might just spawn another 'Art VS Science' debate in and of itself.
I'd just rather not pick up a book when I'm ninety and it be written in "i r lol 2 u rofl?" format. :eyebrow:

It's social media - not a novel.
Wandering Argonians wrote:It does seem that we've lost the sense of 'rugged individualism' that defined the United States in decades past.
Good.

Wandering Argonians wrote:Perhaps this decline in 'literacy' is just a symptom of that. [...]

I doubt it.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:28 am

Leningrad Union wrote:

Please, we're not even ready for guns or nukes, yet anyone would be insane to say that we shouldn't have it.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:28 am

Wandering Argonians wrote:Society being anti-intellectual? I have no idea, though I do not see any evidence to support this.

It does seem that we've lost the sense of 'rugged individualism' that defined the United States in decades past. Perhaps this decline in 'literacy' is just a symptom of that.

Again, this is all based on observations I've made. It's just a matter of opinion.

The art vs science part wasn't really the main point, the main point is people have a irrational fear for things being "unnatural", "artificial", "modified" or having chemicals. Crude Oil itself is from the fossils dead creatures, they are just as natural.

Edlichbury
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Edlichbury » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:28 am

Zottistan wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:The fuck are you talking about?

Economics, law, political theory, history, foreign languages.

That took about fifteen seconds and you got four for free.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:29 am

Wandering Argonians wrote:It does seem that we've lost the sense of 'rugged individualism' that defined the United States in decades past. Perhaps this decline in 'literacy' is just a symptom of that.

Rugged individualism never existed. How many FAMILIES were there in the Oregon Trail? No one ever lives in the frontiers alone or else they'd be dead. So I daresay, this is nonsense and has nothing to do with the thread.
Last edited by Norstal on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General