NATION

PASSWORD

Atheism and Misogyny

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:31 am

Sociobiology wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:
I wouldn't care if a man propositioned me where there were people around. If he offers to pay me to fuck when there aren't people around, the thought of him not taking no for an answer does enter my mind, yeah.

but you said it would not if a woman propositioned you. again sexism.

You can call it sexism, but you'll have to substantiate why I should be afraid of a woman raping me under such circumstances.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:32 am

Sociobiology wrote:rape rates are so incredibly low

You call 20% of women having been raped, "low"?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:34 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:

Yes. Pretty sure the actual numbers are closer to 30%.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:37 am

Xsyne wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:You call 20% of women having been raped, "low"?

Yes. Pretty sure the actual numbers are closer to 30%.

Acceptable losses
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:38 am

Well, there really is no "atheist movement," but I am disappointed by how many prominent atheists are showing their misogyny because the mainstream opinion can't handle there not being any "movement" and clumps them in with the rest of us pro-equality atheists.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:38 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:What makes you think it is not?
again do you see the sexism in your comment?

Because it isn't. That's sort of part of male privilege, in case you aren't familiar with the concept.

you mean that thing that has never been demonstrated empirically?

much like many variable men have a wider standard deviation than women when studied, which means they are more likely to produce both a bottom of the barrel and a cream of the crop, to horribly mix a metaphor...
anyway, men preform both better and worst on many variables, the only ones the preform "better" on consistently is height and muscle mass.
men are more likely to produce a genius but also more likely to produce a blithering idiot.
male privilege and male disability are the same thing.

which is really not surprising given our natural history.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:40 am

Olthar wrote:Well, there really is no "atheist movement," but I am disappointed by how many prominent atheists are showing their misogyny because the mainstream opinion can't handle there not being any "movement" and clumps them in with the rest of us pro-equality atheists.

There is an atheist movement, as in people who are atheists as a major part of their identity and see it as an embodiment of their skepticism. It's somewhat synonymous with New Atheism.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:42 am

Sociobiology wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Because it isn't. That's sort of part of male privilege, in case you aren't familiar with the concept.

you mean that thing that has never been demonstrated empirically?

much like many variable men have a wider standard deviation than women when studied, which means they are more likely to produce both a bottom of the barrel and a cream of the crop, to horribly mix a metaphor...
anyway, men preform both better and worst on many variables, the only ones the preform "better" on consistently is height and muscle mass.
men are more likely to produce a genius but also more likely to produce a blithering idiot.

I searched "man raped in park": I found an article where a dude was raped by three men. All other results were men raping women in the park. This isn't about probability or variance or average, it's about women raping men in the park not really happening.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:43 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Olthar wrote:Well, there really is no "atheist movement," but I am disappointed by how many prominent atheists are showing their misogyny because the mainstream opinion can't handle there not being any "movement" and clumps them in with the rest of us pro-equality atheists.

There is an atheist movement, as in people who are atheists as a major part of their identity and see it as an embodiment of their skepticism. It's somewhat synonymous with New Atheism.

It is "New Atheism".

Atheism in of itself is merely a lack of belief.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:43 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:

because I know something about history yes.
good, no
low, yes.

also note most of those are indoors, and perpetrated by friends or family, not strangers or outside

although the US does have a high rate, much higher than most European countries.

Edit, although I take your point is is much higher than you expect when you first hear it.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:44 am

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:There is an atheist movement, as in people who are atheists as a major part of their identity and see it as an embodiment of their skepticism. It's somewhat synonymous with New Atheism.

It is "New Atheism".

Yes, but people such as Dawkins don't write under that banner, they write under the "atheist" banner. That's a problem in its own right, because it makes atheism out to be an ideology.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:45 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:you mean that thing that has never been demonstrated empirically?

I searched "man raped in park": I found an article where a dude was raped by three men. All other results were men raping women in the park. This isn't about probability or variance or average, it's about women raping men in the park not really happening.

which you determined by a Google search, wow...

oh 4% of rapes occur outdoors, so if anything you should feel safer outdoors than anywhere else.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:45 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:

"New Atheism" is stupid. Atheism isn't a system of belief or a philosophy. It is simply the non-belief in a god or gods. That's all. There's nothing more to it, and I don't understand why people keep trying to add more to it. I don't even regularly think about the fact that I'm atheist. All my political beliefs stand just fine on their own. I don't need to link them to something so inconsequential as being atheist.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:46 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:It is "New Atheism".

Yes, but people such as Dawkins don't write under that banner, they write under the "atheist" banner. That's a problem in its own right, because it makes atheism out to be an ideology.

He can claim he's acting for "atheism", but painting a horse with stripes doesn't make it a zebra.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:49 am

Sociobiology wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:I searched "man raped in park": I found an article where a dude was raped by three men. All other results were men raping women in the park. This isn't about probability or variance or average, it's about women raping men in the park not really happening.

which you determined by a Google search, wow...

oh 4% of rapes occur outdoors, so if anything you should feel safer outdoors than anywhere else.

Yes, rapes also tend to be committed by people the victim knows. Therefore a woman should feel more comfortable getting a ride from a stranger than from a friend. :roll:

The reason rapes occur less outdoors is because of people, same reason sex itself tends to occur less outdoors. I'd feel safer in a plaza than in an elevator. I'd also feel safer in a bar than in a park with just me and the other dude.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:49 am

Olthar wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:There is an atheist movement, as in people who are atheists as a major part of their identity and see it as an embodiment of their skepticism. It's somewhat synonymous with New Atheism.

"New Atheism" is stupid. Atheism isn't a system of belief or a philosophy. It is simply the non-belief in a god or gods. That's all. There's nothing more to it, and I don't understand why people keep trying to add more to it. I don't even regularly think about the fact that I'm atheist. All my political beliefs stand just fine on their own. I don't need to link them to something so inconsequential as being atheist.

Yeah, that's why I added the edit in the OP
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:50 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:Yes, but people such as Dawkins don't write under that banner, they write under the "atheist" banner. That's a problem in its own right, because it makes atheism out to be an ideology.

He can claim he's acting for "atheism", but painting a horse with stripes doesn't make it a zebra.

And this thread is really more about the atheist movement (New Atheists who just use the term "atheist") than it is about atheism.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:54 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Olthar wrote:"New Atheism" is stupid. Atheism isn't a system of belief or a philosophy. It is simply the non-belief in a god or gods. That's all. There's nothing more to it, and I don't understand why people keep trying to add more to it. I don't even regularly think about the fact that I'm atheist. All my political beliefs stand just fine on their own. I don't need to link them to something so inconsequential as being atheist.

Yeah, that's why I added the edit in the OP

I don't even particularly like the idea of an atheist community. It just seems like one of the silliest things one could form a community around. What would these people have in common? Nothing necessarily. There'd be nothing to talk about. Form a community over something more substantial.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:55 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:which you determined by a Google search, wow...

Yes, rapes also tend to be committed by people the victim knows. Therefore a woman should feel more comfortable getting a ride from a stranger than from a friend. :roll:

hey your the one using statistics to defend their bigotry/paranoia, don't get mad when I point out they don't actually support it.

The reason rapes occur less outdoors is because of people, same reason sex itself tends to occur less outdoors. I'd feel safer in a plaza than in an elevator. I'd also feel safer in a bar than in a park with just me and the other dude.

I am sorry for you if you think sex outside is that rare.
no wait, you could live in a city.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:58 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:It is "New Atheism".

No, he doesn't write under the "atheist banner". His own foundation is not called The Richard Dawkins Atheist Foundation, it's the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science. You're coming off as someone of a conspiracy theorist with all of this.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:59 am

Sociobiology wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Yes, rapes also tend to be committed by people the victim knows. Therefore a woman should feel more comfortable getting a ride from a stranger than from a friend. :roll:

hey your the one using statistics to defend their bigotry/paranoia, don't get mad when I point out they don't actually support it.

I am sorry for you if you think I think that.
I live in a ghetto.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:59 am

Olthar wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Yeah, that's why I added the edit in the OP

I don't even particularly like the idea of an atheist community. It just seems like one of the silliest things one could form a community around. What would these people have in common? Nothing necessarily. There'd be nothing to talk about. Form a community over something more substantial.

Agreed.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:01 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:

I am sorry for you if you think I think that.
I live in a ghetto.

yeah I can't think of a single time I had sex outside in a city, it was always in the burbs, rural, or wilderness.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:01 am

Olthar wrote:I don't even particularly like the idea of an atheist community. It just seems like one of the silliest things one could form a community around. What would these people have in common? Nothing necessarily. There'd be nothing to talk about. Form a community over something more substantial.

Agreed.

Humanists on the other hand are sort of a group.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:29 am

Tlaceceyaya wrote:No, he doesn't write under the "atheist banner". His own foundation is not called The Richard Dawkins Atheist Foundation, it's the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science.

And as an atheist, I'd much prefer he call it The Richard Dawkins Anti-Theist Foundation.

You're coming off as someone of a conspiracy theorist with all of this.

After going through this thread, it's clear that I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General