NATION

PASSWORD

Should Homeschooling be Illegal?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Homeschooling be Illegal?

Yes, it's bad for kids.
9%
Yes, but make it legal only in certain circumstances
12%
Neutral/Don't care
4%
No, Im not a fan of homeschooling but we shouldn't make it illegal.
29%
No.
43%
No, in fact make homeschooling the only form of school.
2%

Total votes : 428

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Thafoo wrote:
Agorya wrote:Here's a better idea: get rid of public schools and make attendance voluntary. It shall drive the prices down and allow more diversified education opportunity.

That's a terrible idea.

It's a great way to trap people into generational poverty and rob children of any life opportunities.

Illiteracy wasn't eliminated in most countries until mandatory school systems (church or state based) began to sprout up.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with voucherized education (provided schools are accredited and follow a standard curriculum), fully privatized education with no provision for those unable to pay is disgusting and anti-freedom.
Last edited by Lemanrussland on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agorya
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Agorya » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:24 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:
Thafoo wrote:That's a terrible idea.

It's a great way to trap people into generational poverty and rob children of any life opportunities.

Illiteracy wasn't eliminated in most countries until mandatory school systems (church or state based) began to sprout up.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with voucherized education (provided schools are accredited and follow a standard curriculum), fully privatized education with no provision for those unable to pay is disgusting and anti-freedom.

Ha. Anti freedom is losing our ability to pick and choose instead being goaded into a subpar school. All people should have the ability to pay with surplus gained through what would be tax money.
Last edited by Agorya on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertarian Purity Score: 142/160

Economic Left/Right: 8.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Disregard love, amass capital.

Also, Bonobos.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Agorya wrote:
Lemanrussland wrote:It's a great way to trap people into generational poverty and rob children of any life opportunities.

Ha. Anti freedom is losing our ability to pick and choose instead being goaded into a subpar school. All people will should have the ability to pay with surplus gained through what would be tax money.

Once again, quack quack quack, that's a bad idea.

Hornesia
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornesia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 pm

I have no problem with it as long as children score sufficiently on a standardized test equivalent.
Hobbies:Civil war reenacting, Filmmaking doing stupid things with cars
Music: Hardcore Punk/Metalcore/Post-Hardcore/Screamo/Whatever they're calling loud music with screaming these days
Bands I'm into: Silverstein, Defeater, The Ghost Inside, Expire, Ice Nine Kills, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Amidst The Grave's Demons
Movies/TV: The Dirties, End of Watch, Sicario, Frozen, True Detective, The Fall, Happy Valley
Literature: Kurt Vonnegut, The Kite Runner, Truman Capote, Southern Gothic

Pseudo-redneck half Jew liberal from the deep south.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 pm

Agorya wrote:
Lemanrussland wrote:It's a great way to trap people into generational poverty and rob children of any life opportunities.

Ha. Anti freedom is losing our ability to pick and choose instead being goaded into a subpar school. All people will should have the ability to pay with surplus gained through what would be tax money.

Anti-freedom is not being able to read, or being consigned to poverty due to a lack of education. Positive freedom, the ability to do things, is just as important as negative freedom, that is, freedom from external restraint.
Last edited by Lemanrussland on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:28 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:
Agorya wrote:

Anti-freedom is not being able to read, or being consigned to poverty due to a lack of education. Positive freedom, the ability to do things, is just as important as negative freedom, that is, freedom from external restraint.

I don't see how homeschool is anti-freedom. It's better than nowadays, where public school teachers have to teach thirty students in a class.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:29 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Lemanrussland wrote:Anti-freedom is not being able to read, or being consigned to poverty due to a lack of education. Positive freedom, the ability to do things, is just as important as negative freedom, that is, freedom from external restraint.

I don't see how homeschool is anti-freedom. It's better than nowadays, where public school teachers have to teach thirty students in a class.

Not homeschooling, but his idea of removing all government support for education altogether.
Last edited by Lemanrussland on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hornesia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hornesia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:29 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Lemanrussland wrote:Anti-freedom is not being able to read, or being consigned to poverty due to a lack of education. Positive freedom, the ability to do things, is just as important as negative freedom, that is, freedom from external restraint.

Not to mention that some people hate public schools with a passion for that very reason and can't afford private schools.
Music: Hardcore Punk/Metalcore/Post-Hardcore/Screamo/Whatever they're calling loud music with screaming these days
Bands I'm into: Silverstein, Defeater, The Ghost Inside, Expire, Ice Nine Kills, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Amidst The Grave's Demons
Movies/TV: The Dirties, End of Watch, Sicario, Frozen, True Detective, The Fall, Happy Valley

Hushabagain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hushabagain » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:32 pm

Hornesia wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:

Not to mention that some people hate public schools with a passion for that very reason and can't afford private schools.

Also, suppose religious concerns were factored into the reason for homeschooling? In the U.S, we have a right to make ourselves poor, ignorant, and stupid, and we have a homeland to do it in (West Virginia).

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Homeschooled kids are taught the same things as the kids in the classroom. This just seems dumb.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Hushabagain wrote:
Hornesia wrote:Not to mention that some people hate public schools with a passion for that very reason and can't afford private schools.

Also, suppose religious concerns were factored into the reason for homeschooling? In the U.S, we have a right to make ourselves poor, ignorant, and stupid, and we have a homeland to do it in (West Virginia).

Why the hell are you insulting West Virginians! >:(

Hushabagain
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hushabagain » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:36 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Hushabagain wrote:Also, suppose religious concerns were factored into the reason for homeschooling? In the U.S, we have a right to make ourselves poor, ignorant, and stupid, and we have a homeland to do it in (West Virginia).

I never said anything about West Virginians. I said a lot about West Virginia. But in all seriousness West Virginia is a great state (looks at watch, yawns).

Hornesia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hornesia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:36 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Hushabagain wrote:Also, suppose religious concerns were factored into the reason for homeschooling? In the U.S, we have a right to make ourselves poor, ignorant, and stupid, and we have a homeland to do it in (West Virginia).

They're easy to insult. They had the nerve to leave Virginia. They had to take their virginity west.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Libertarian California wrote:Homeschooled kids are taught the same things as the kids in the classroom.

Hopefully, at least.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:49 pm

No, but there should be regulation so that we don't end up with kids who know nothing.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Meryuma wrote:
Libertarian California wrote:Homeschooled kids are taught the same things as the kids in the classroom.

Hopefully, at least.

In theory, yes.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:50 pm

Meryuma wrote:

Hopefully, at least.

You do realize that if they don't teach their kids the material, then social services get called on their asses, right? You can literally lose your kids and go to jail.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Divair wrote:No, but there should be regulation so that we don't end up with kids who know nothing.

There are.

Hushabagain
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hushabagain » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Meryuma wrote:

Hopefully, at least.

Things I learned in the Public Classroom:
1. Teacher is always right.
2. Even when teacher is wrong.
3. Knowing "why" just clutters your brain. So don't bother.
4. Outstanding performance in the classroom is defined as doing only the work assigned and shutting the Hell up.
5. Even if that means sitting still for 50 minutes.
6. The internet is an instrument of the Devil with no educational value.
7. Poking someone is acceptable.
8. But responding in kind is not.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:I don't think it should be necessarily illegal, but I definitely don't like it. Many homeschooled children have social problems and don't perform as well academically as their counterparts. Many religious people also use it to try to isolate their children from dissenting information, which is wrong.

The right of parents to teach their children how they wish must be balanced with the right of children to a good education and economic opportunity, in any case.

This site says home schoolers outperform their public schooled counterparts.
http://www.home-school.com/news/homesch ... school.php
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:57 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Divair wrote:No, but there should be regulation so that we don't end up with kids who know nothing.

There are.

There are what?

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Hushabagain wrote:
Meryuma wrote:
Hopefully, at least.

Things I learned in the Public Classroom:
4. Outstanding performance in the classroom is defined as doing only the work assigned and shutting the Hell up.

Wah wah, you're super cool and special. Taxation is theft.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:59 pm

Divair wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:
There are.

There are what?

Regulation.

Hushabagain
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hushabagain » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:00 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Hushabagain wrote:Things I learned in the Public Classroom:

Wah wah, you're super cool and special. Taxation is theft.

The difference between me and the average student? I learned 8 things in school.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:01 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Divair wrote:There are what?

Regulation.

Depending on the country. Regardless, it's my opinion, not a commentary on the real world.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General