NATION

PASSWORD

Should Homeschooling be Illegal?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yes, it's bad for kids.
9%
Yes, but make it legal only in certain circumstances
12%
Neutral/Don't care
4%
No, Im not a fan of homeschooling but we shouldn't make it illegal.
29%
No.
43%
No, in fact make homeschooling the only form of school.
2%

Total votes : 428

Cashewbutter
Envoy

Founded: Apr 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cashewbutter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:34 pm

The quality of education in homeschooling depends largely on the quality of teaching that the parents give. There are some disadvantages, like most parents don't have teaching certificates, and have to be reasonably knowledgeable on a variety of subjects through high school, whereas teachers only have to know one subject well (above elementary school, anyway, and elementary-level knowledge is not very deep). There are some bad teachers and great parents, but the average teacher is likely better at teaching than the average parent without any educator training. There's also a powerful advantage in that it's much easier to tailor the educational format to what works best for the child if homeschooled. And less time swallowed up by administrative garbage like roll-call and grading each other's papers during class time, so it doesn't take 7-8 hours a day plus homework to get a day's learning in.

So I think homeschooling should be allowed. It doesn't work well for every family, but for other families it's superior to public or even private education.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:35 pm

No.
Hell no.
Fuck no.
Fucking hell no.

Yet that still does not adequately convey my answer in the negative.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Zgraja
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zgraja » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:35 pm

I was homeschooled K-12th grade. As for education, I have a degree, and a 6 figure income job. I have very large vocabulary and read nonstop never ending my education. Oh and the entire time I was in college I never got a grade lower than an A.

As for the social issue. I spent 4 years in the US army where I never had a single problem meeting new people and to this day I can talk to just about anybody about anything.

Also in defense of homeschool education. In the US, many homeschooled kids have won the national spelling bee.

All that said though, I am not a big fan of it and I won't homeschool my kids, not that I think there is anything wrong with it, it's just not for me.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:39 pm

I don't like it but it shouldn't be banned.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Helvereos
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Helvereos » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:40 pm

No way. Public schools, at least in the US, are pretty shitty, and blatantly forcing kids to attend them is kinda cruel, IMO.

The Holy Michigan Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Michigan Empire » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:42 pm

No.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:43 pm

No, making it illegal is a stupid idea.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:44 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
Diopolis wrote:In my (limited)experience, it's extremes(and to a lesser extent people who don't fit on the left-right axis) that are arrogant more than liberals or conservatives.

So you're saying moderates and people on extreme sides of the political spectrum are arrogant?

Anyone can be arrogant.

No, I'm saying that extremes are more likely to be arrogant than liberals or conservatives.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Diopolis wrote:
So you're saying moderates and people on extreme sides of the political spectrum are arrogant?

Anyone can be arrogant.

No, I'm saying that extremes are more likely to be arrogant than liberals or conservatives.

Yeah, I guess that's true.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Holltesem
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Holltesem » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Diopolis wrote:No, I'm saying that extremes are more likely to be arrogant than liberals or conservatives.

Yeah, I guess that's true.

Well that's bit of an unfair generalization.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:05 pm

It depends.

If you're homeschooling because you want to indoctrinate your children into your particular back-assward religious belief, then homeschooling is bad.

If you're actually a competent teacher and know about everything well enough to explain it at a high school level and are doing it for some other reason (e.g. your local school system sucks) then sure.

Basically, if the parents are competent teachers then they should be able to homeschool. If they're not then they shouldn't.
Last edited by Dakini on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agorya
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Agorya » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:06 pm

All the knowledge I gained was from a private school...

regardless, no.
Libertarian Purity Score: 142/160

Economic Left/Right: 8.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Disregard love, amass capital.

Also, Bonobos.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:07 pm

My mother tried homeschooling me for a bit, what does she do? Buy creationist textbooks. :palm:
So yeah I'm against it.
Last edited by Genivaria on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:07 pm

Holltesem wrote:
The Scientific States wrote:Homeschooling receives its share of criticisms and praise. Some say its bad because kids become isolated, and parents can't teach like teachers etc. However some people say it is great because it gives kids better opportunities, and teaches them family values.

So do you think homeschooling is a good or bad thing? I personally don't like it, a regular education would be much better, but I still don't know whether or not Im comfortable with taking away the rights of a parent to teach their kids.

Anyways what do you guys think?

Public schools are pretty bad, homeschooling is the only alternative for families you can't get their children into private schools.

No, some public schools are bad. I had great education in public education. However, just a stone's throw away from my school district is a school district that is utterly awful. Families that cannot afford private education in bad districts, those are the ones that should choose homeschooling.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Thafoo wrote:
Holltesem wrote:
Public schools are pretty bad, homeschooling is the only alternative for families you can't get their children into private schools.

No, some public schools are bad. I had great education in public education. However, just a stone's throw away from my school district is a school district that is utterly awful. Families that cannot afford private education in bad districts, those are the ones that should choose homeschooling.

Because poor people totally have the requisite leisure time to homeschool... :roll:

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:10 pm

Fuck no. I don't like the way it's used to teach fundamentalism but for someone like me who's spent the better portion of their life bouncing to and from and in and out of school due to a terrible underfunded special needs program it being legal is a godsend.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:11 pm

i dun bin tort ter read n' make me squiggles by me ma and it ain't done me no harm!

But yeah unless parents are teaching according to a government mandated curriculum, it should be banned.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Dakini wrote:
Thafoo wrote:No, some public schools are bad. I had great education in public education. However, just a stone's throw away from my school district is a school district that is utterly awful. Families that cannot afford private education in bad districts, those are the ones that should choose homeschooling.

Because poor people totally have the requisite leisure time to homeschool... :roll:

Whoops. I didn't think of that.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Well, since I'm 95% sure that most of the posters on nation states are homeschooled teenagers, I'm going to have to say it should be legal.

Agorya
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Agorya » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Here's a better idea: get rid of public schools and make attendance voluntary. It shall drive the prices down and allow more diversified education opportunity.
Libertarian Purity Score: 142/160

Economic Left/Right: 8.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Disregard love, amass capital.

Also, Bonobos.

Need a Name
Senator

Founded: Oct 22, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Need a Name » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:No.
Hell no.
Fuck no.
Fucking hell no.

Yet that still does not adequately convey my answer in the negative.

This guy took the words out of my mouth.
I'm a Christian and a Patriot
“Right is Right even if nobody does it. Wrong is wrong even if everybody is wrong about it.”― G.K. Chesterton

"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -- George S. Patton Jr.

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day." -- Jesus Christ

For: Christianity, America, NATO, EU, Israel, Effective Education Reform, The US Military, Social Capital, and Compromise
Against: Radical fundamentalism, Militant Atheism, Current US Congress, Ignorance, and ISIS (obviously).

Thafoo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:14 pm

Agorya wrote:Here's a better idea: get rid of public schools and make attendance voluntary. It shall drive the prices down and allow more diversified education opportunity.

That's a terrible idea.

Valkalan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Valkalan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:14 pm

No. Whether or not parents want to homeschool their children should be their decision to make.
Last edited by Valkalan on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
वज्रमात अस्ता रिजथम

The Directorate of Valkalan is a federation of autonomous city-states which operate a joint military and share uniform commercial and civil law and a common foreign policy, and which is characterized by wealth, intrigue, and advanced technology.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Agorya wrote:Here's a better idea: get rid of public schools and make attendance voluntary. It shall drive the prices down and allow more diversified education opportunity.

And drive intelligence down, and create a caste system based on the current divisions of wealth - not with any legal barriers, mind you. Just the lack of education, 'cause that's a pretty big barrier to entry.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:17 pm

I was homeschooled for a year. I was an expatriate living in a foreign country with no English medium school.

I know plenty of people who were homeschooled who ended up just fine. In some of the more remote areas of the world it is the only option if you don't want to/don't have the money to send your children to boarding school.

I am quite certain there are some people out there who are teaching their children all kinds of nutty things, but that is not always true, and in any case, people have a right to pass on their cultural values, and I shudder to think what kind of society we would be becoming when the majority get to dictate what minority groups get to believe.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General