NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion and Capital Punishment

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Shaggai wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:
No, because if he continues, it's rape.

Then she can naturally revoke consent to pregnancy, as you consider it an extension of sex. If you do not consider it an extension of sex, it must therefore be consented to separately, and abortions are okay.

I'm stealing that.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Viperco1
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Viperco1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:15 pm

What I don't get is why abortion isn't more closely related to animal rights. I would assume some consistency in treatment of lesser(magnitude not value) consciousness's. Animals need to eat they have the right to kill to do so, mother would be pointlessly endangered/impoverished/restricted by an unwanted child so abort it, a murderer is a threat to all other people so execute him. -Pro-choice, pro-capital punishment, pro-meat
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.31

We need to stop separating social problems from the people who cause them.

Those who refuse to coexist shouldn't be allowed to exist at all.
Unitary Secular Global Constitutional Techno-Utopian Meritocratic Republic with a Common Law System based on Sex-Positive, Libertarian and Chinese Legalist principles having a Universal First Language, Gender Equality, Politico-Criminal Eliminationism and Class Collaboration within a Social Market Economy.
Meta: Nihilism
Normative: Preferance Utilitarianism, Natural Law, Ethics of Care
Personal: Hedonism, Intellectuallism
Art: Aestheticism
Metaphysical Naturalism, Atheism, Physicalism, Determinism, Presentism, Monism, Dysteleology, Existential Nihilism

The Norgan Alliance
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norgan Alliance » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mavorpen wrote:Of fucking course not. But you don't care about that, do you? No, as long as you can make yourself feel superior and punish the ebul sluts, you don't care.

Let's not get personal here, you'll lose your credibility.
Call me Norga and I'll give you a cookie
|No Left Turn|
"When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons." ~ Principle Scudworth, 2003
The Liberated Territories wrote:Ancestry: Murican
Ethnicity: Murican
Race: Murican

Murica

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Viperco1 wrote:What I don't get is why abortion isn't more closely related to animal rights. I would assume some consistency in treatment of lesser(magnitude not value) consciousness's. Animals need to eat they have the right to kill to do so, mother would be pointlessly endangered/impoverished/restricted by an unwanted child so abort it, a murderer is a threat to all other people so execute him. -Pro-choice, pro-capital punishment, pro-meat

because most people don't know enough about development or evolution to understand the connection, at least that's my two cents.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

The Norgan Alliance
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Norgan Alliance » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:20 pm

Viperco1 wrote:What I don't get is why abortion isn't more closely related to animal rights. I would assume some consistency in treatment of lesser(magnitude not value) consciousness's. Animals need to eat they have the right to kill to do so, mother would be pointlessly endangered/impoverished/restricted by an unwanted child so abort it, a murderer is a threat to all other people so execute him. -Pro-choice, pro-capital punishment, pro-meat

Maybe because of the fact that fetuses are humans, not animals? -Pro-Life, Anti-Capital Punishment, Pro-Meat
|No Left Turn|
"When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons." ~ Principle Scudworth, 2003

Murica

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:21 pm

The Norgan Alliance wrote:

Maybe because of the fact that fetuses are humans, not animals? -Pro-Life, Anti-Capital Punishment, Pro-Meat

Humans are animals.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Norgan Alliance wrote:Maybe because of the fact that fetuses are humans, not animals? -Pro-Life, Anti-Capital Punishment, Pro-Meat

Humans are animals.

and thus Mav. spots one of the major problems, ignorance of biology.

The Norgan Alliance
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Norgan Alliance » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Norgan Alliance wrote:Maybe because of the fact that fetuses are humans, not wild animals? -Pro-Life, Anti-Capital Punishment, Pro-Meat

Humans are animals.

Fixed
|No Left Turn|

Murica

Viperco1
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Viperco1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:25 pm

I support laws protecting human rights because I don't want myself or those I care about to get eaten, hunted etc. but I don't see why there is a presumed privileged status for humans, sure fetuses are human but pigs are smarter why should they have less rights? Or my cats which are actually wanted, and a voluntary responsibility?
Last edited by Viperco1 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.31

We need to stop separating social problems from the people who cause them.

Those who refuse to coexist shouldn't be allowed to exist at all.
Unitary Secular Global Constitutional Techno-Utopian Meritocratic Republic with a Common Law System based on Sex-Positive, Libertarian and Chinese Legalist principles having a Universal First Language, Gender Equality, Politico-Criminal Eliminationism and Class Collaboration within a Social Market Economy.
Meta: Nihilism
Normative: Preferance Utilitarianism, Natural Law, Ethics of Care
Personal: Hedonism, Intellectuallism
Art: Aestheticism
Metaphysical Naturalism, Atheism, Physicalism, Determinism, Presentism, Monism, Dysteleology, Existential Nihilism

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Mavorpen wrote:Humans are animals.

Fixed

So what, domesticated cats are humans?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Norgan Alliance
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Norgan Alliance » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Viperco1 wrote:
The Norgan Alliance wrote:Maybe because of the fact that fetuses are humans, not animals? -Pro-Life, Anti-Capital Punishment, Pro-Meat

I support laws protecting human rights because I don't want myself or those I care about to get eaten, hunted etc. but I don't see why there is a presumed privileged status for humans, sure fetuses are human but pigs are smarter why should they have less rights? Or my cats which are actually wanted, and a voluntary responsibility?

Maybe because humans think they're better somehow? Anyway this isn't the place for this discussion unless you're trying to bring up some point that I missed.
|No Left Turn|

Murica

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:
No, rape is unconsentual, other than that, a woman consents with the full knowledge that there exists a probability of pregnancy.

probabilty =/= consent

being alive makes death probably, not committing suicide is not consent to homicide.
driving a car makes death more likely, this is not consent to death.

Her body is there before the pregnancy, it'll be there afterward, so no, there isn't.

so if I steal your car drive it around for a few weeks then drop it off back at your house, no crime has occurred?

Your effectively saying, a foetus has rights, we'll just choose to ignore them because a foetus isn't any benefit to me now.

not in the slightest, it has rights just as a dog has rights, its rights however do not include a right to use the organs of others against their will.

There's a huge scale in the difference of completely eliminating a foetus which has the high probability of seeing some 70+ years of life so a woman can keep nine months of comfort.

no it really does not. assuming no abortion happens it still has a less than 50% chance of reaching birth more less anything after that.

You still haven't told me when women are strapped down to tables for nine months, btw, and I've seen plenty of pregnant women moving about freely in, well, bodies.

but those women can also have an abortions if they wish, often in pill form.

Yes, and different species evolve between then and now.

and whats your point, both are potentialities, which so far has been your only justification.

When you find a rat capable of understanding mathematics, tell me.

rats have been shown to understand some mathematics in laboratory conditions.
when you find a fetus that understands mathematics tell me.

When you find any individual who consented to their creation, tell me, and I'll give you that point.
As for your car car crash bit, you accept the fact that there is a probability your going to be in your car and cause a car crash and you go ahead anyway to do it. You accept the risk, and in accepting the risk, you accept the liability if you cause a crash, you accept you may cause harm, however unwillingly, and accept the liabilities that entails.

There isn't if you gave me the keys when I tell you there may be a probability ill be gone with it for nine months.

Yet the woman decided to have sex with the full knowledge that may result in a baby which will need her organs for nine months, and that the said foetus will have a high probability to living 70+ years of a life.

Approx. 15% of pregnancies result in miscarriage, I don't know where your 50% is coming from.

Still no answer on the tables, and the morning after pill is perfectly acceptable in my view,

Probability, and by which time it's a completely different species, so my point still stands, where's your Einstein rat?
And I think there are plenty of humans who understand mathematics, hence the reason your able to communicate via Internet.
I probably hate everything you stand for. (and on)

My political viewpoint: Social democratic liberal

Why I want to destroy the very fabric of society

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:31 pm

The ivain isles wrote:And I think there are plenty of humans who understand mathematics, hence the reason your able to communicate via Internet.

How many are fetuses?
piss

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:34 pm

First, let me say that you did a fantastic job dodging EVERY single point here and addressing straw men.
The ivain isles wrote:When you find any individual who consented to their creation, tell me, and I'll give you that point.

Straw man. The point, which you completely missed or ignored, is that simply living, knowing full well the possibility of dying, isn't consent to death.
The ivain isles wrote:As for your car car crash bit, you accept the fact that there is a probability your going to be in your car and cause a car crash and you go ahead anyway to do it. You accept the risk, and in accepting the risk, you accept the liability if you cause a crash, you accept you may cause harm, however unwillingly, and accept the liabilities that entails.

Again, fucking straw man. He didn't say that YOU caused the crash and YOU are therefore responsible. He said that consenting to driving knowing the possibility of death doesn't mean you consent to death.
The ivain isles wrote:There isn't if you gave me the keys when I tell you there may be a probability ill be gone with it for nine months.

So here you ADMIT that if you steal something and give it back it's still a crime.
The ivain isles wrote:Yet the woman decided to have sex with the full knowledge that may result in a baby which will need her organs for nine months, and that the said foetus will have a high probability to living 70+ years of a life.

You then IGNORE the fact that a fetus DOESN'T have a high probability of living until 70+ years.
The ivain isles wrote:Approx. 15% of pregnancies result in miscarriage, I don't know where your 50% is coming from.

Bullshit.

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:
Yes, becuase if we don't, the terrorist foetuses win, flying into women's wombs, and making them pregnant.

Aye, pretty much. If the fetus isn't wanted, it is no better than a squatter.

Okay, let's just say, hypothetically, I kidnapped you, brought you to someone's house, and put you in a position where, if you leave that house, you'll die. Now, say the owner finds out your there, and decide they don't want you in that house, and demand you leave. Now, the police show up, and say it will take a certain length of time for you to leave safely, yet there not happy with that, and remove you forcefully, resulting in your death. Should that be legal?

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Aye, pretty much. If the fetus isn't wanted, it is no better than a squatter.

Okay, let's just say, hypothetically, I kidnapped you, brought you to someone's house, and put you in a position where, if you leave that house, you'll die. Now, say the owner finds out your there, and decide they don't want you in that house, and demand you leave. Now, the police show up, and say it will take a certain length of time for you to leave safely, yet there not happy with that, and remove you forcefully, resulting in your death. Should that be legal?

No. You are, in fact, a person, not a fetus.
piss

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Aye, pretty much. If the fetus isn't wanted, it is no better than a squatter.

This is an extreme hypothetical....
Forever a Communist

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Shaggai wrote:Then she can naturally revoke consent to pregnancy, as you consider it an extension of sex. If you do not consider it an extension of sex, it must therefore be consented to separately, and abortions are okay.

I'm stealing that.

No, because the foetus isn't the man who raped her. And yes they have to be consented to separately, hence it's two consenting partners having sex. No foetus has consented to an abortion, I would think.

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:41 pm

Shaggai wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:

No. You are, in fact, a person, not a fetus.

No, I am, in fact, a human, as is a foetus.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:41 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:I'm stealing that.

No, because the foetus isn't the man who raped her. And yes they have to be consented to separately, hence it's two consenting partners having sex. No foetus has consented to an abortion, I would think.

No, because a fetus can't consent.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:42 pm

The ivain isles wrote:
Shaggai wrote:No. You are, in fact, a person, not a fetus.

No, I am, in fact, a human, as is a foetus.

Did you just disagree about you being a person?
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:42 pm

The ivain isles wrote:

So do parasitic worms have to consent in order for us to remove them from our bodies?

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:42 pm

The ivain isles wrote:

It has no way of consenting nor not consenting.

It has no senses until a certain amount of time, no thoughts, no feelings, no nothing.

It's not human until it can survive outside the womb.

Until then, it is a trespasser against the mothers will if she revokes consent, and is, biologically, a parasite, taking nutrients directly from the mothers body, against her will, if she revokes consent.
Last edited by Blasveck on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever a Communist

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Blasveck wrote:
The ivain isles wrote:

This is an extreme hypothetical....

Yep, yet so is abortion law. If a doctor miss practices and kills both an unborn child and a mother, it's a double murder, if he aborts it, it's a pay check. How's that for extreme realities?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:43 pm

The ivain isles wrote:Yep, yet so is abortion law. If a doctor miss practices and kills both an unborn child and a mother, it's a double murder, if he aborts it, it's a pay check. How's that for extreme realities?

That's bullshit.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General