NATION

PASSWORD

The Main Cause of School Shootings

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What causes most School Shootings?

Depression
16%
Bullying
30%
Mental Illness
18%
Gangs
11%
Religious Disputes
0%
Other
24%

Total votes : 213

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:11 pm

Station 12 wrote:
JuNii wrote:
Hairless Kitten II wrote:In 2006, Guns Murdered:

18 in Austria
27 in Australia
59 in England & Wales
60 in Spain
190 in Canada
194 in Germany
10,177 in the United States

God Bless America

all those poor murdered guns... :(

Sorry, already made that joke.

Tell me what logical conclusion any sane person could come to that would mean that the best course of action is to shoot everyone in your school.

it's still sad to hear about all those murdered guns. :(

er... when everyone in your school is a zombie/infected with the T-Virus?
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Overleef
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Overleef » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:16 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:
What absurd stereotypical generalisations...?

Nope, look it up in the sociology literature. Its completely true.

Gay kids don't have to resort to firearms because the pain of an irrationally hostile world won't be mitigated by shooting up the school, and they know that. The reason they know that is that Tim Gunn teaches them better ways to ameliorate stress and difficulty, while remaining composed, creative, and utterly cool.

Carry on.

Station 12
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Station 12 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Humanity does not work that way. Being Gay, straight, male or female does not denote how you respond to bullying, it denotes what genitals you have and what you do with them.
Last edited by Station 12 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Station 12, citizen. Have a HAPPY day.

Birnadia wrote:JOY unit is perfection. JOY unit cannot be questioned.

Verlorenen wrote:I might be a cold-hearted fascist, but honestly - Station 12, your posts scare the living hell out of me.

Manahakatouki wrote:I would but you scare the crap out of me....your nation anyway.....

New Caldaris wrote:LOL dude i rarely see your posts but when i do i am either laughing or terrified at the thought someone could even say something so sinister and evil.

Lockswania wrote:Station twelve, you scare me.

The Eurasican Union wrote:Station 12, My leader might be corrupt and evil on the inside, but if he was on your station, he'd jump into space as a form of suicide.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Gay kids don't have to resort to firearms because the pain of an irrationally hostile world won't be mitigated by shooting up the school, and they know that. The reason they know that is that Tim Gunn teaches them better ways to ameliorate stress and difficulty, while remaining composed, creative, and utterly cool.

Carry on.

Can you give me any links to this 'sociology literature'.

Bunyippie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bunyippie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:21 pm

Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Carry on.

you sir are full of shit. I am a gay kid. I got bullied, I even had a plan to shoot up a school before I was accepted into a charter school and turned my life around. So shut the fuck up.
"One nation, under Fundies, easily divided, with rights for some, not all."

Farnhamia wrote:
Okay, I give. Yes, you may ... have sex with your household pets. Just, please, try to keep the noise down.

Kobrania
Minister

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kobrania » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:24 pm

Bunyippie wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Carry on.

you sir are full of shit. I am a gay kid. I got bullied, I even had a plan to shoot up a school before I was accepted into a charter school and turned my life around. So shut the fuck up.

Woah, I may beat the odd bigot and need therapy, but I am not that out of it. :blink:
"Only when you acknowledge that your country has done evil and ignore it will you be a patriot." -TJ.

ZIONISM = JUSTIFYING GENOCIDE WITH GOD.

Kobrania, the anti-KMA.

Overleef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Overleef » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:24 pm

Station 12 wrote:Humanity does not work that way. Being Gay, straight, male or female does not denote how you respond to bullying, it denotes what genitals you have and what you do with them.

You're half right. It does determine what you do with your genitals, but those in turn determine what you do with your life. You see, recent advances in neural imaging have revealed that all of the higher cognitive heuristics and decision making algorithms are located in the crotch.

In areas of interpersonal conflict, the wang and vadge are even more critical. Prominent primatologists have determined, conclusively, that resolving friction between hiearchical and social species is always accomplished via some kind of dick and/or clit waving.

Consider the penis-dueling capuchin macaques. They have much to teach us about school shootings.

Overleef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Overleef » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:26 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Carry on.

Its easy, just take the GRE and get admitted to a well regarded grad program in sociology and then ask your thesis advisor where the library is.

There is a substantial body of research in sociology, 83% of which deals primarily with Tim Gunn and his effect on school shootings.

Bunyippie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bunyippie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Carry on.

Its easy, just take the GRE and get admitted to a well regarded grad program in sociology and then ask your thesis advisor where the library is.

There is a substantial body of research in sociology, 83% of which deals primarily with Tim Gunn and his effect on school shootings.

no, he meant cite them yourself!

Farnhamia wrote:
Okay, I give. Yes, you may ... have sex with your household pets. Just, please, try to keep the noise down.

Overleef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Overleef » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:28 pm

Bunyippie wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Carry on.

If you can't handle hearing a view alternative to your own assumptions based on the distortive perspective of your own violent urges, perhaps your life isn't as turned around as you think.

This is an open board, and if you can't handle that, maybe your educational environment was too insulative.
Last edited by Overleef on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Station 12
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Station 12 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:28 pm

Overleef wrote:
Station 12 wrote:Humanity does not work that way. Being Gay, straight, male or female does not denote how you respond to bullying, it denotes what genitals you have and what you do with them.

You're half right. It does determine what you do with your genitals, but those in turn determine what you do with your life. You see, recent advances in neural imaging have revealed that all of the higher cognitive heuristics and decision making algorithms are located in the crotch.

In areas of interpersonal conflict, the wang and vadge are even more critical. Prominent primatologists have determined, conclusively, that resolving friction between hiearchical and social species is always accomplished via some kind of dick and/or clit waving.

Consider the penis-dueling capuchin macaques. They have much to teach us about school shootings.

Oh. Oh you're good. You are good.

...You are a troll right? I mean seriously if so this is brilliance.
Last edited by Station 12 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Station 12, citizen. Have a HAPPY day.

Birnadia wrote:JOY unit is perfection. JOY unit cannot be questioned.

Verlorenen wrote:I might be a cold-hearted fascist, but honestly - Station 12, your posts scare the living hell out of me.

Manahakatouki wrote:I would but you scare the crap out of me....your nation anyway.....

New Caldaris wrote:LOL dude i rarely see your posts but when i do i am either laughing or terrified at the thought someone could even say something so sinister and evil.

Lockswania wrote:Station twelve, you scare me.

The Eurasican Union wrote:Station 12, My leader might be corrupt and evil on the inside, but if he was on your station, he'd jump into space as a form of suicide.

Bunyippie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bunyippie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:30 pm

Overleef wrote:
Bunyippie wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Carry on.

If you can't handle hearing a view alternative to your own assumptions based on the distortive perspective of your own violent urges, perhaps you life isn't as turned around as you think.

This is an open board, and if you can't handle that, maybe your educational environment was too insulative.

dude, I am simply calling you out on your shit. You made a broad statement "Gay kids don't..." I am a gay kid who just contrdicted your asinine view. By my post, your generalilzation has jsut been debunked

Farnhamia wrote:

Overleef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Overleef » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:31 pm

Bunyippie wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Carry on.

Because of how dangerous it would be in the wrong hands, research related to school shootings and Tim Gunn is restricted to people in accredited graduate programs (see Pusey v. Bator).

Kobrania
Minister

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kobrania » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:33 pm

Overleef wrote:
Bunyippie wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Carry on.

Because of how dangerous it would be in the wrong hands, research related to school shootings and Tim Gunn is restricted to people in accredited graduate programs (see Pusey v. Bator).

ZOMG!!!!! That is brilliance!
"Only when you acknowledge that your country has done evil and ignore it will you be a patriot." -TJ.

ZIONISM = JUSTIFYING GENOCIDE WITH GOD.

Kobrania, the anti-KMA.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:33 pm

Overleef wrote:
Bottle wrote:Except that the demographics of students who are most likely to be bullied and harassed at school also happen to be the demographics that are LEAST likely to be school shooters.

Females are more likely to be victimized by bullies than males (Seals and Young, 2003, Adolescence), yet 99% of school shootings are committed by young males. Indeed, in the last 50 years I could only find record of two school shootings committed by females, and one of those was a college incident.

Gay students are disproportionately likely to be the target of bullying and harassment at school, yet I couldn't find a single example of a school shooting by a gay student. All the search permutations I tried returned results in which gay students were TARGETED by school shooters.

If bullying were the root cause, then why wouldn't the most bullied demographic groups be represented among the ranks of school shooters?

Because the strata you cite are victims with different coping mechanisms. That doesn't mean that the straight males aren't responding to bullying with their preferred method.

See, when girls are bullied, they respond by internalizing the experience via emotional catharsis and processing the experience through dialogue with their peer group and eating nutter butters.

Gay kids deal with bullying by watching Project Runway and realizing that the mouthy jerk with the tatoo on his neck who keeps using all the muslin might win the competition, but he'll always be a lonely bitter cockadoody. Gay kids don't have to kill people others to deal, because, like Tim Gunn, they make it work.

Regardless, it sounds like bullying is not the problem at all, since bullying alone doesn't create a school shooter.

So are you arguing that straight males are innately different, or that there is some conditioning going on? Because if it's conditioning, that would be a great argument for completely overhauling the way straight males are socialized.

I guess if it's innate...well, that'd be a prime argument for removing all straight males from positions of power. After all, if straight males "innately" respond to bullying with lethal violence, then they certainly shouldn't be trusted with nukes. :P
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Overleef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Overleef » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:33 pm

Bunyippie wrote:
Overleef wrote:
Bunyippie wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Carry on.

If you can't handle hearing a view alternative to your own assumptions based on the distortive perspective of your own violent urges, perhaps you life isn't as turned around as you think.

dude, I am simply calling you out on your shit. You made a broad statement "Gay kids don't..." I am a gay kid who just contrdicted your asinine view. By my post, your generalilzation has jsut been debunked

If you think "shut the fuck up" represents a cogent response to anything, then your "charter school" evidently omitted rudimentary reasoning skills from its charter.

To "contradict" a view, you first have to read it with sufficient insight to understand what its actually saying. The retort can then be crafted in light of what is really being asserted. Do you really think you've done that here?
Last edited by Overleef on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bunyippie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bunyippie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:34 pm

Overleef wrote:
Bunyippie wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Carry on.

you are yet again talking out of your ass with no proof. Pusey v Bator has no bearing and Tim Gunn is in fashion.

Farnhamia wrote:

Bunyippie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bunyippie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:35 pm

Overleef wrote:
Bunyippie wrote:
Overleef wrote:
Bunyippie wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Carry on.

If you think "shut the fuck up" represents a cogent response to anything, then your "charter school" evidently omitted rudimentary reasoning skills from its charter.

To "contradict" a view, you first have to read it with sufficient insight to understand what its actually saying. The retort can then be crafted in light of what is really being asserted. Do you really think you've done that here?

I think this applies more toward yourself then anything else. You are asserting a flawed idea, I rebutted with evidence, you just babble.

Farnhamia wrote:

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:36 pm

Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:
Overleef wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

Carry on.

Oh so you don't have any real evidence then....great. ;)

Overleef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Overleef » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Bottle wrote:Regardless, it sounds like bullying is not the problem at all, since bullying alone doesn't create a school shooter.

I agree, but I postulate it is a trigger for those for whom the trigger has been set, see below.

Bottle wrote:So are you arguing that straight males are innately different, or that there is some conditioning going on? Because if it's conditioning, that would be a great argument for completely overhauling the way straight males are socialized.

Not innately (at least I hope not), but rather that they are socialized to respond to stress and confrontation with violence. That response may have some intrinsic evolutionary presence in all humans, particularly males, but I think it is excaberated by socialization and cultural transmitters. Young straight males are taught that the way to deal with something don't like is to "kick ass and take names". The mythos of heroism in our culture has culmination with a problem often occuring in association with a mass shoot out.

Bottle wrote:I guess if it's innate...well, that'd be a prime argument for removing all straight males from positions of power. After all, if straight males "innately" respond to bullying with lethal violence, then they certainly shouldn't be trusted with nukes. :P

Frankly, I think there's some truth to this observation. International situations often devolve into needless violence precisely because of this mentality. However, again, I don't think its innate. Better resolution tools can be taught and habituated, and in many cases I think they are. School shootings are an example of when the Rambo-Response to persecution comes to the fore.

Bunyippie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bunyippie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:41 pm

Overleef, I invoke the age old saying "DOX NAO!" Either supply proof or concede you are making this up as you go along.

Farnhamia wrote:

Overleef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Overleef » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Bunyippie wrote:you are yet again talking out of your ass with no proof. Pusey v Bator has no bearing and Tim Gunn is in fashion.

You obviously didn't read the subtext of the case or else you'd know its actually the controlling caselaw on the matter.

As for Tim Gunn, of course he's in fashion. Fashion is one of the most brutally competitive, viciously stressful, acrimonious industries in the world. That Tim Gunn controls it so effortlessly makes him the foremost expert on school shootings.

Bunyippie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bunyippie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:43 pm

there is not a gif large enough for this face palm

Farnhamia wrote:

Overleef
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Overleef » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:43 pm

Bunyippie wrote:I think this applies more toward yourself then anything else. You are asserting a flawed idea, I rebutted with evidence, you just babble.

Tell me, at your "charter school", did they introduce any basic literary techniques, at all?

Tell me, exactly what is the "flawed idea" I was putting forward, to your understanding?

Bunyippie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bunyippie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:45 pm

Overleef wrote:
Bunyippie wrote:I think this applies more toward yourself then anything else. You are asserting a flawed idea, I rebutted with evidence, you just babble.

Tell me, at your "charter school", did they introduce any basic literary techniques, at all?

Tell me, exactly what is the "flawed idea" I was putting forward, to your understanding?

that all gays will not resort to violence in the context of school shootings.
and they did, did your school teach you that any idea that you put forth must have proof cited?

Farnhamia wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General