NATION

PASSWORD

The Main Cause of School Shootings

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What causes most School Shootings?

Depression
16%
Bullying
30%
Mental Illness
18%
Gangs
11%
Religious Disputes
0%
Other
24%

Total votes : 213

H N Fiddlebottoms VIII
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 31, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby H N Fiddlebottoms VIII » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:40 am

Station 12 wrote:It's entirely possible to survive a gunshot. Once the bullet is past your skin it's basically impossible to predict what'll happen next, but it's most likely that you'll die.

People do it in movies all the time. Ach, just a flesh wound!
Station 12 wrote:So even if your idea wasn't very crazy, it just wouldn't work without killing people.

It's more than crazy, it is bat fuck crazy. That's why it will work.
Bunyippie wrote:ignore neo art, his inability to sympathize with others might have been the cause of the suicide.

Oh, he can sympathize with anyone whom he desperately imagines might show him her tits. Parthenon, just TG Neo Art a couple boring glamor shots of some chick and spam a few threads with tedious flirting, then he'll be your internet white knight forevers.
Last edited by H N Fiddlebottoms VIII on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stuck somewhere between high school and old school.
Here's some bullshit I write. Maybe you want to read it?

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:42 am

Neo Art wrote:
Parthenon wrote:I say this in the nicest and least flaming way possible,

Ur doin it rong.

but go fuck yourself you hypocritical bastard. You go and whine to moderation when I say even the most polite of comments about suicide because you "KNEW SOMEONE" yet here you are calling the execution of my fucking coworker a god damned lie.

Aww, someone got a nerve pinched. If you don't like your honesty called into question, maybe you should stop being, you know, so blatantly dishonest all the time.

Oh well, anyone got an "INTERNET: SERIOUS BUSINESS!" lolcat we can throw up here? Seem appropriate. That, and maybe a blanket, it's obviously past someone's bedtime.

Neo Art, your posts in response to Parthenon do qualify as baiting -- especially this one, which on its own would not be actionable.

However, in light of your stated intent (as which this qualifies in my opinion) to take a prior mod ruling in bad faith, I must consider this "rules lawyering." Abusing mod rulings in order to bait others is actionable. You too are banned for three days.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:49 am

Neo Art wrote:Oh wow, an autopsy report, that MUST validate that this happened to someone you know. You'll forgive me for not going too much into this with you though. A dear friend of mine died recently, and I'm too distraught over it. Perhaps you read about it.

By the way Parthy, thank you for reminding me to update my signature. How'd that email turn out? I regret that Michael Savage still hasn't sued me yet.

Firstly, you have an ignore button, use it! Secondly, *** warned for flamebaiting. ***

Parthenon wrote:I say this in the nicest and least flaming way possible, go fuck yourself. You make me sick.

You are also well advised to make use of the ignore button. Also, *** warned for flaming. ***
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Super Chickens
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Super Chickens » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:53 am

Well I vote for other...

like reading all the postings here on this subject...

But that could be mental illness...

Actually I propose that every person should be required to carry a rifle, not a handgun or shotgun, but a rifle. Preferably a bolt action one, not semi -automatic or automatic either.

Why?

If you saw a person walking along minding their own business you might be tempted to rob/hurt/bully/etc. them for whatever reason you decide. If you were carrying a gun then you would be more tempted to do the same, but if that person was carrying a rifle in plain sight just like you, you just might think first. Granted you may just shoot them down in cold blood, but at that same time there could be someone putting their rifle sight on you as well as someone putting their rifle sight on them, etc., etc., etc.

Well hang in there people...

12-21-2012 is coming...

So go eat a pickle :lol2:

Bunyippie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bunyippie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:54 am

1st, where is this ignore button I keep hearign about?
2nd. if you remove guns, it will not solve the problem because, well, if someone is dead set on killing a lot of people, they will just find a different way to do it/make their own.
"One nation, under Fundies, easily divided, with rights for some, not all."

Farnhamia wrote:
Okay, I give. Yes, you may ... have sex with your household pets. Just, please, try to keep the noise down.

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:54 am

Bunyippie wrote:1st, where is this ignore button I keep hearign about?

User CP > Foe List
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Bunyippie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bunyippie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:55 am

Czardas wrote:

User CP > Foe List

ah, thank you sir

Farnhamia wrote:
Okay, I give. Yes, you may ... have sex with your household pets. Just, please, try to keep the noise down.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:56 am

2nd. if you remove guns, it will not solve the problem because, well, if someone is dead set on killing a lot of people, they will just find a different way to do it/make their own.

It would remove the problem of gun shooting which this discussion is about.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:57 am

Mental illnesses.

NOT video games or lack of gun control (although here we banned guns as a knee-jerk response to a school shooting). Also, maybe if the school was armed or the parents kept the gun safe like they're meant to...
Last edited by Angleter on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Bunyippie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bunyippie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:58 am

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

we would just have bombings instead.

Farnhamia wrote:

Ascon
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ascon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:19 am

Trippoli wrote:Out of most School Shootings in America, which do you think is involved the most.

Reloading.
"If you want a symbolic gesture, don't burn the flag, wash it."
-Norman Thomas

Bunyippie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bunyippie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:20 am

Ascon wrote:
Trippoli wrote:Out of most School Shootings in America, which do you think is involved the most.

Reloading.

no, trigger pulling

Farnhamia wrote:

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:23 am

Bunyippie wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:

we would just have bombings instead.

Bombs =/= Guns.... :roll:

Ascon
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:25 am

Bunyippie wrote:
Ascon wrote:

Reloading.

no, trigger pulling

I suppose that might depend on if the weapon is semi or fully auto.
-Norman Thomas

Bunyippie
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bunyippie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:26 am

Ascon wrote:
Bunyippie wrote:
Ascon wrote:

Reloading.

no, trigger pulling

techinally, a school shooting is a shot being fired in a school, ergo, one trigger pull= school shooting

Farnhamia wrote:

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:28 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:In 2006, Guns Murdered:

18 in Austria
27 in Australia
59 in England & Wales
60 in Spain
190 in Canada
194 in Germany
10,177 in the United States

God Bless America

all those poor murdered guns... :(
Last edited by JuNii on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Ascon
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:52 am

Bunyippie wrote:
Ascon wrote:
Bunyippie wrote:
Ascon wrote:

Reloading.

no, trigger pulling

techinally, a school shooting is a shot being fired in a school, ergo, one trigger pull= school shooting

Indeed, but if it's fully auto you get a lot of mileage for that one trigger pull...
-Norman Thomas

RAHIT RA
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby RAHIT RA » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:06 pm

surely you would have to be mentally ill to bring a gun into a school and intend to murder people

Skeptikosia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeptikosia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:08 pm

RAHIT RA wrote:surely you would have to be mentally ill to bring a gun into a school and intend to murder people

No, you don't.

It's not a pathology, it's bad behavior.
"(DISCLAIMER: A Statement of a problem is not an endorsement of it, nor is it the solution to it. But the solution cannot be found with the statement, for unless a problem is stated, who is to say that there is one? And if there is, what is it? I'm stating here.)" The Enlightened Caveman

"Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy." Louis D. Brandeis

Economic Left/Right: 4.12 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33

Station 12
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Station 12 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:13 pm

JuNii wrote:
Hairless Kitten II wrote:In 2006, Guns Murdered:

18 in Austria
27 in Australia
59 in England & Wales
60 in Spain
190 in Canada
194 in Germany
10,177 in the United States

God Bless America

all those poor murdered guns... :(

Sorry, already made that joke.

Tell me what logical conclusion any sane person could come to that would mean that the best course of action is to shoot everyone in your school.
Welcome to Station 12, citizen. Have a HAPPY day.

Birnadia wrote:JOY unit is perfection. JOY unit cannot be questioned.

Verlorenen wrote:I might be a cold-hearted fascist, but honestly - Station 12, your posts scare the living hell out of me.

Manahakatouki wrote:I would but you scare the crap out of me....your nation anyway.....

New Caldaris wrote:LOL dude i rarely see your posts but when i do i am either laughing or terrified at the thought someone could even say something so sinister and evil.

Lockswania wrote:Station twelve, you scare me.

The Eurasican Union wrote:Station 12, My leader might be corrupt and evil on the inside, but if he was on your station, he'd jump into space as a form of suicide.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:14 pm

H N Fiddlebottoms VIII wrote:
Bunyippie wrote:ignore neo art, his inability to sympathize with others might have been the cause of the suicide.

Oh, he can sympathize with anyone whom he desperately imagines might show him her tits. Parthenon, just TG Neo Art a couple boring glamor shots of some chick and spam a few threads with tedious flirting, then he'll be your internet white knight forevers.

Bunyippie, *** warned for flamebaiting. ***

H N Fiddlebottoms VIII, you ought to know better than to pile on to any attack. Knock it off.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:38 pm

All those warnings & bans. And the blame is not for the mods.

People, can you stay focused on a decent debate?

There's no need to write stuff as 'go fuck yourself'.

Maybe you don't like the opinion of another, fight it with all means, but exclude the poster in tackling arguments.

Thanks.
Last edited by Hairless Kitten II on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Bunyippie wrote:Second, Bullying is a main cause, because it goes like this
Student A, usally a jock or other popular kid, bullies student B. Student B tells a teacher. Student B gets told to suck it up and/or nothing happens. Student A bullies student B worse. Student B, so angry that the school is allowing the bullying, walks into school with a shotgun and blows away as many people as he can, because they all laughed when he was being bullied.

Except that the demographics of students who are most likely to be bullied and harassed at school also happen to be the demographics that are LEAST likely to be school shooters.

Females are more likely to be victimized by bullies than males (Seals and Young, 2003, Adolescence), yet 99% of school shootings are committed by young males. Indeed, in the last 50 years I could only find record of two school shootings committed by females, and one of those was a college incident.

Gay students are disproportionately likely to be the target of bullying and harassment at school, yet I couldn't find a single example of a school shooting by a gay student. All the search permutations I tried returned results in which gay students were TARGETED by school shooters.

If bullying were the root cause, then why wouldn't the most bullied demographic groups be represented among the ranks of school shooters?
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Overleef
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Overleef » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:08 pm

Bottle wrote:Except that the demographics of students who are most likely to be bullied and harassed at school also happen to be the demographics that are LEAST likely to be school shooters.

Females are more likely to be victimized by bullies than males (Seals and Young, 2003, Adolescence), yet 99% of school shootings are committed by young males. Indeed, in the last 50 years I could only find record of two school shootings committed by females, and one of those was a college incident.

Gay students are disproportionately likely to be the target of bullying and harassment at school, yet I couldn't find a single example of a school shooting by a gay student. All the search permutations I tried returned results in which gay students were TARGETED by school shooters.

If bullying were the root cause, then why wouldn't the most bullied demographic groups be represented among the ranks of school shooters?

Because the strata you cite are victims with different coping mechanisms. That doesn't mean that the straight males aren't responding to bullying with their preferred method.

See, when girls are bullied, they respond by internalizing the experience via emotional catharsis and processing the experience through dialogue with their peer group and eating nutter butters.

Gay kids deal with bullying by watching Project Runway and realizing that the mouthy jerk with the tatoo on his neck who keeps using all the muslin might win the competition, but he'll always be a lonely bitter cockadoody. Gay kids don't have to kill people others to deal, because, like Tim Gunn, they make it work.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Overleef wrote:
Bottle wrote:Except that the demographics of students who are most likely to be bullied and harassed at school also happen to be the demographics that are LEAST likely to be school shooters.

Because the strata you cite are victims with different coping mechanisms. That doesn't mean that the straight males aren't responding to bullying with their preferred method.

See, when girls are bullied, they respond by internalizing the experience via emotional catharsis and processing the experience through dialogue with their peer group and eating nutter butters.

Gay kids deal with bullying by watching Project Runway and realizing that the mouthy jerk with the tatoo on his neck who keeps using all the muslin might win the competition, but he'll always be a lonely bitter cockadoody. Gay kids don't have to kill people others to deal, because, like Tim Gunn, they make it work.

What absurd stereotypical generalisations...?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General