NATION

PASSWORD

The Main Cause of School Shootings

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What causes most School Shootings?

Depression
16%
Bullying
30%
Mental Illness
18%
Gangs
11%
Religious Disputes
0%
Other
24%

Total votes : 213

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:36 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:Image

So there's no correlation between gun ownership and firearm deaths...

Watch Switzerland & Austria. Those 2 neighbours are very comparable in life standard, climate, environment, etc...

But they have different gun laws & gun possessions. Isn't it surprising that Switzerland is counting more deaths by guns as Austria?

I'm even silent about that country in the sky, USA.

But of course, there's no correlation between gun ownership and firearm deaths, isn't it Der Teut? :)

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

The Magic Spirit
Attaché

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Magic Spirit » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:38 am

To return to the subject of school shootings:

In the Penn and Teller Bullshit! episode about violent video games they introduced Chris Cooney and his school shooting triangle.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6212995.html
Troubled kid, Guns, and Mass-Killing Simulators (violent games). Penn and Teller tear the triangle to shreds as they show that it's bullshit.
They say that guns shouldn't be in there because the most deathly spree was with a knife. I think it's a bad idea to discount that side of the triangle based on a single event. The same with the games: they show ample violent incidents before games even were invented. The troubled kid was discounted because of the shootings involving adults. That was the weakest part of the episode for me, but then they put a rifle in the hands of a nine-year-old gamer and allowed him to shoot it. He had no desire to fire more than one bullet and ended up crying.

And Chris Cooney? He's a hypocrit. While he demonstrates against violent games with fictional shooting, he appears to have no trouble using the real deal. He's a gun enthusiast with a collection of real firearms. If you make a triangle, be consequent and try to ban the whole thing instead of just one side of it.

Robarya
Ambassador

Founded: May 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Robarya » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:38 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:
Hairless Kitten II wrote:Propaganda film? Not even close.

If the information in his film was false then institutions as NRA would sue him till he's death.

They didn't.

You must not be aware of the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. One can film lies without being sued, should they desire.

And yes, it is propoganda... to suggest otherwise is probably the most laughable thing I've ever heard.

If you are unaware of the 1st Amendment that I referred to above, I can post a link to show you what it's about.

Sure, but if you publish false information, one can sue you. Also in America.

It is propaganda. And propaganda is not necessarily false information per se. A good way to put it is that propaganda is often reality thousand times exaggerated, and oversimplified.

If you don't think that clip is horrendously exaggerated and oversimplified, lacking in any in-depth analysis, I don't know what to say.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:38 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:The report doesn't fit your mind. That's the problem.

Do you have a report that's suggesting something else? :)

I don't... but the report is still incomplete... I'm not saying it's wrong, merely noting the staggering potentiality for it to be less correct than it seems (again, it omits 80% of the national statistics, in only the categories it gives).
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:42 am

Helgrin wrote:[How about you do something for me? How about you highlight where I said, or even implied where I said that it would have a 100% success rate? Or give one piece of evidence that suggests that gun restriction laws don't help?

Certainly.

Helgrin wrote:How about a little restriction. Seeing how that has worked out everywhere else.

Italics were not added to the above quote, that is a straight copy-paste of your entire post with no additions or subtractions.

I know, you're pwned, right?
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:42 am

Robarya wrote:
Hairless Kitten II wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:
Hairless Kitten II wrote:Propaganda film? Not even close.

If the information in his film was false then institutions as NRA would sue him till he's death.

They didn't.

You must not be aware of the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. One can film lies without being sued, should they desire.

And yes, it is propoganda... to suggest otherwise is probably the most laughable thing I've ever heard.

If you are unaware of the 1st Amendment that I referred to above, I can post a link to show you what it's about.

Sure, but if you publish false information, one can sue you. Also in America.

It is propaganda. And propaganda is not necessarily false information per se. A good way to put it is that propaganda is often reality thousand times exaggerated, and oversimplified.

If you don't think that clip is horrendously exaggerated and oversimplified, lacking in any in-depth analysis, I don't know what to say.

The clip is exaggerated. But that doesn't make the entire movie propaganda.

If Michael M. said in his movie untrue stuff about guns or the NRA, I'm sure he would be sued.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:43 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:But of course, there's no correlation between gun ownership and firearm deaths, isn't it Der Teut? :)

This graph is just as incomplete as your other statistics. How can I know that these nations were not picked based on the person making the graph to show what they wanted it to show?

The Magic Spirit
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Magic Spirit » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:45 am

Robarya wrote:I would personally be willing to kill someone for stealing an Euro from me, but besides that: Why should one put oneself at the mercy of a burglar, when you are not even aware of his intentions? I would personally not give a shit about statistics. I would do what I could do neutralize the threat rather than hiding in a closet sobbing like a little sissy faggot.
So that's the real issue. You consider hiding sissy behavior to a point where you don't care about statistics that say a gun isn't actually protecting your family. I consider violence wrong unless you're absolutely 100% you're in mortal peril. That's where we differ.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:45 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:The clip is exaggerated. But that doesn't make the entire movie propaganda.

If Michael M. said in his movie untrue stuff about guns or the NRA, I'm sure he would be sued.

Only if it was detrimental to their business... but they are an organization that is supported from dues, rather than sales.

One can publish lies all they want, so long as they don't for sure cause detriment to other people/businesses. Mr. Moore is not taken seriously enough in America to realistically be able to be sued because he skews all his information, and reports on half-truths.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:46 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:The clip is exaggerated. But that doesn't make the entire movie propaganda.

You're right, this one clip does not mean the entire movie was propoganda... still and all, most of the movie was propoganda, independant of that clip in and of itself.

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:48 am

Der Teutoniker wrote:
Hairless Kitten II wrote:But of course, there's no correlation between gun ownership and firearm deaths, isn't it Der Teut? :)

This graph is just as incomplete as your other statistics. How can I know that these nations were not picked based on the person making the graph to show what they wanted it to show?

What are you suggesting? That we should compare USA with 3th world or semi-third world countries as Columbia or South Africa?
Or maybe we should compare USA with countries that have a war on their ground, no?

All those countries are comparable in life standard as USA.

Well, now it's on you to provide us with sources about develeoped countries with worse figures as USA... Good luck :)

The Magic Spirit
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Magic Spirit » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:48 am

Der Teutoniker wrote:

You can't know. But unless you have evidence proving your point it's impossible to properly debate this.

The countries in the graph show a correlation, even though it's not too exact. More gun ownership means more deaths. If you were to show one country that doesn't follow this trend, then we'd have something to discuss.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:50 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:Well, now it's on you to provide us with sources about develeoped countries with worse figures as USA... Good luck :)

I'm saying that I don't think the whole cause is gun-ownership, and nothing else. I think attitude towards guns make a big difference, as does people who attempt to inappropriately handle the issue.

The Magic Spirit
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Magic Spirit » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:52 am

Sure gun-ownership isn't the single deciding factor, but it's still a major one. Restricting guns would at least handle part of the issue.

Helgrin
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Helgrin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:54 am

Der Teutoniker wrote:
Helgrin wrote:[How about you do something for me? How about you highlight where I said, or even implied where I said that it would have a 100% success rate? Or give one piece of evidence that suggests that gun restriction laws don't help?

Certainly.

Helgrin wrote:How about a little restriction. Seeing how that has worked out everywhere else.

Italics were not added to the above quote, that is a straight copy-paste of your entire post with no additions or subtractions.

I know, you're pwned, right?

No. You misunderstood. I was talking about the correlation between tougher gun laws and reduiced gun violence. You took it out of context so that it supported you argument. Now, where is that opposing evidence that I asked for?
Mahna Mahna!

Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:54 am

The Magic Spirit wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:

You can't know. But unless you have evidence proving your point it's impossible to properly debate this.

The countries in the graph show a correlation, even though it's not too exact. More gun ownership means more deaths. If you were to show one country that doesn't follow this trend, then we'd have something to discuss.

It's not that USA is 'scoring' a little higher...but immense.

Robarya
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Robarya » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:59 am

I commented the clip as being overly exaggerated and oversimplified; the rest of the documentary isn't that bad. But propaganda is either way strictly speaking the spreading of information to help or hurt a group, a nation, an individual, a political idea, and so on and on. So it can both be true and false. Basically everything that politicians say is propaganda, but the word has a negative touch to it, so no one likes to use it except when it comes to "extreme" ideas.

Robarya
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Robarya » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:01 am

The Magic Spirit wrote:
Robarya wrote:I would personally be willing to kill someone for stealing an Euro from me, but besides that: Why should one put oneself at the mercy of a burglar, when you are not even aware of his intentions? I would personally not give a shit about statistics. I would do what I could do neutralize the threat rather than hiding in a closet sobbing like a little sissy faggot.
So that's the real issue. You consider hiding sissy behavior to a point where you don't care about statistics that say a gun isn't actually protecting your family. I consider violence wrong unless you're absolutely 100% you're in mortal peril. That's where we differ.

In a situation where I might have to use self-defense to keep myself and my family alive, I won't rely on the good will of the home invader to spare us, no matter what statistics say.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:01 am

Helgrin wrote:No. You misunderstood. I was talking about the correlation between tougher gun laws and reduiced gun violence. You took it out of context so that it supported you argument. Now, where is that opposing evidence that I asked for?

You said "or" give you opposing evidence. I've already fulfilled on of the requirments you made of me, the "or" implies (in English usage) that I need not fulfill other requirments.

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:02 am

Robarya wrote:

I commented the clip as being overly exaggerated and oversimplified; the rest of the documentary isn't that bad. But propaganda is either way strictly speaking the spreading of information to help or hurt a group, a nation, an individual, a political idea, and so on and on. So it can both be true and false. Basically everything that politicians say is propaganda, but the word has a negative touch to it, so no one likes to use it except when it comes to "extreme" ideas.

The cartoon is expressing in an exaggerated way why Americans love their gun: fear.

I believe that. If 'everybody' around me would have a gun, I would have one too.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:02 am

Robarya wrote:In a situation where I might have to use self-defense to keep myself and my family alive, I won't rely on the good will of the home invader to spare us, no matter what statistics say.

:clap:

(That clap wasn't sarcastic, I truly applaud your resolve, and will to act.)

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:05 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:The cartoon is expressing in an exaggerated way why Americans love their gun: fear.

I believe that. If 'everybody' around me would have a gun, I would have one too.

K great. But not all Americans own guns out of fear. I want a hunting rifle, not because I'm afraid of the deer 200 mi. North of where I am, so that I have to go kill them.

I don't want to own a handgun out of fear. I want to own a handgun out of respect for the terrifying, and martial nature of humanity. I want to own a handgun to shoot things (such as, at a range). A gun has an additional benefit of being able to protect my family. Precaution, and good planning are not necessarily fear.

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:06 am

Robarya wrote:
The Magic Spirit wrote:

In a situation where I might have to use self-defense to keep myself and my family alive, I won't rely on the good will of the home invader to spare us, no matter what statistics say.

Might.

How many times you already have used self-defens to keep yourself and your family alive?

Helgrin
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Helgrin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:06 am

Der Teutoniker wrote:
Helgrin wrote:No. You misunderstood. I was talking about the correlation between tougher gun laws and reduiced gun violence. You took it out of context so that it supported you argument. Now, where is that opposing evidence that I asked for?

You said "or" give you opposing evidence. I've already fulfilled on of the requirments you made of me, the "or" implies (in English usage) that I need not fulfill other requirments.

:palm: This is like arguing with a Creationist: "Your entire argument is void because one tiny thing was slightly misworded, and I don't have to make an argument because I am right!"
Also, that was an additional request for evidence, not the same one. Note that Hairless Kitten has also requested evidence. Do you have any?
Mahna Mahna!

Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Phillippanoa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Phillippanoa » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:08 am

I think guns are the main cause of school shootings...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General