NATION

PASSWORD

The Main Cause of School Shootings

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What causes most School Shootings?

Depression
16%
Bullying
30%
Mental Illness
18%
Gangs
11%
Religious Disputes
0%
Other
24%

Total votes : 213

Israslovakahzerbajan
Powerbroker

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Israslovakahzerbajan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:44 am

Bullies...you can't say they deserve to die for their actions because that's never the answer but you can't really deny they bought it down on themselves and usually the school as a whole pays for their stupidities.
IC name: El Reino Panamericano/El Reino de La Dorada
IC Flag: Follow this link

México-Americano, por nacimiento. Nacionalista de mi país adoptivo: México.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:
Oh, I bet it counts alright...otaku gets anyone a x50 multiplier on their hell points.

Derscon
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:08 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Having a gun helps me shoot someone, but having a gun doesn't necessitate I shoot someone.

Having no gun at all, will help you not to shoot someone, never.

Maybe you're a sane person, but not all people that are involved in a shooting are nutcases. When guns are around, 'accidents' can happen.

Humans are highly aggressive animals that can kill each other for nothing. It’s not smart to feed those dangerous animals with extreme lethal toys as guns.

If the problem is with humanity itself, then banning a tool will accomplish nothing, since one can kill with any object or collection of objects and a little creativity.

Also, I am inclined to believe that, beyond self-defense, since immediate survival is an issue here, people who would kill another human being do have something wrong with them in the head, be it a serial killer, or a soldier. Granted, there are still accidents, but you have accidents with everything. Personally, though, I trust a criminal more than I trust the ATF. But I repeat myself.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:17 am

The obvious cause of school shootings are schools.

Duh.

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:22 am

Kobrania wrote:
Allbeama wrote:
Kobrania wrote:Easy access to guns and bullying.

The fact that society doesn't get us psychopaths and sociopaths. ;)

Ain't it just?

yep.
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:24 am

Derscon wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Having a gun helps me shoot someone, but having a gun doesn't necessitate I shoot someone.

Maybe you're a sane person, but not all people that are involved in a shooting are nutcases. When guns are around, 'accidents' can happen.

Humans are highly aggressive animals that can kill each other for nothing. It’s not smart to feed those dangerous animals with extreme lethal toys as guns.

If the problem is with humanity itself, then banning a tool will accomplish nothing, since one can kill with any object or collection of objects and a little creativity.

Also, I am inclined to believe that, beyond self-defense, since immediate survival is an issue here, people who would kill another human being do have something wrong with them in the head, be it a serial killer, or a soldier. Granted, there are still accidents, but you have accidents with everything. Personally, though, I trust a criminal more than I trust the ATF. But I repeat myself.

Only it's much more easier to kill one with a gun than with by instance a knife.

Would you run away from a 12 year old kid with a knife? I would when he's carrying a loaded gun.

And how many mass murderers did use knives as their only weapon in schools?

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

Allbeama
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:24 am

Derscon wrote:
Derscon wrote:

Only it's much more easier to kill one with a gun than with by instance a knife.

Would you run away from a 12 year old kid with a knife? I would when he's carrying a loaded gun.

The ones who like a personal touch of course.

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:31 am

Derscon wrote:
Derscon wrote:

Depends on the gun and depends on the knife, actually, as well as relative skill. A knife wound is more likely to be fatal than a bullet wound.

And actually, it's much easier to kill with a car than a gun.
Last edited by Derscon on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:34 am

Derscon wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Derscon wrote:

Depends on the gun and depends on the knife, actually, as well as relative skill. A knife wound is more likely to be fatal than a bullet wound.

Not unless you're a bad driver. Being a bad shot wouldn't help either.

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:35 am

Wiztopia wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Derscon wrote:

It takes a lot less skill to drive a car at reasonable proficiency than it does to fire a good rifle proficiently.

瞞天過海

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:37 am

Derscon wrote:
Wiztopia wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Derscon wrote:

It takes a lot less skill to drive a car at reasonable proficiency than it does to fire a good rifle proficiently.

If you're blond that car is going in reverse so any skill wouldn't help much.

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:38 am

Wiztopia wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Wiztopia wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Derscon wrote:
Derscon wrote:

If you're blond that car is going in reverse so any skill wouldn't help much.

A valid point, although there's likely to be a hydrant in the way, too. Even in the school hallway. You'll find one.

瞞天過海

Allbeama
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:39 am

Quote Pyramids are the reason.

Kinstantia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Kinstantia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:40 am

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:The obvious cause of school shootings are schools.

Duh.

Indeed. If all children were home schooled, we could eliminate school shootings altogether. However, I wonder how many family shootings would take place?

The problem here is that the education system is broken. I know when I went to public school, there was a guidence counselor there to assist you with anything you needed. Students who seemed as though they were having issues would be referred to the counselor who would attempt to assist. Nowadays, the school system is in such disarray that they are lucky they have teachers anymore.

I also agree that bullying, mental disorders, and unacceptance are quite the mitigating circumstances as to the actions of the offenders. Sometimes kids can be so cruel that they chastize people simply because they are a little different. Usually that promotes suicide, but in some cases, if the events are frequent enough, it seems to lead to blood baths.

Maybe, instead of just trying to help the people who seem like would be mass murders, we should teach our children to better accept those who do not fit the social norms? That would help one aspect of this situation.
It's as if someone thought, "What if we took Baywatch, mixed it with Star Trek, and then blended in a frat party?" That's Kinstantia, in a nutshell.
This nation may or may not reflect my real life views. Furthermore, there's a lot of comic relief intended here, so if it seems a bit silly, you know why.

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:43 am

Derscon wrote:

You don't need a brain to use a gun.

And how many mass murderers are using cars as their only 'weapon'?

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:48 am

Derscon wrote:

Have you ever fired a gun?

Irrelevant.

瞞天過海

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:59 am

Derscon wrote:
Have you ever fired a gun?

Yes. And it was very easy. Unlock the safety lock, point at the target and pull the trigger.

Derscon wrote:Irrelevant.

It's that irrelevant as saying: "And actually, it's much easier to kill with a car than a gun."
Last edited by Hairless Kitten II on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Tothe
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Tothe » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:04 am

Unarmed, helpless victims forbidden the right to defend themselves against aggressors.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:[...] TLDR; welcome to the internet. Bicker or GTFO.
"Why is self-control, autonomy, such a threat to authority? Because the person who controls himself, who is his own master, has no need for an authority to be his master. This, then, renders authority unemployed. What is he to do if he cannot control others? To be sure, he could mind his own business. But that is a fatuous answer, for those who are satisfied to mind their own business do not aspire to become authorities." ~ Thomas Szasz

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:04 am

Derscon wrote:

how many deaths are caused by cars vs guns?
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:07 am

a culture that turns a blind eye to bullying, romatacizing it and calling it leadership, while repressing honest science. and a government run by corporatocrats who are basically mafioso who do the same thing to line their own pockets at everyone else's expense.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:09 am

How many school shooters are actually bullied - I've often thought this was somewhat of a myth and, in fact, bullies are more likely to be school shooters than those bullied.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Kinstantia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kinstantia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:11 am

Barringtonia wrote:How many school shooters are actually bullied - I've often thought this was somewhat of a myth and, in fact, bullies are more likely to be school shooters than those bullied.

Good point, but I think the largest influence is non acceptence. That seems to be quite a theme in and amongst those who cause such terror.
It's as if someone thought, "What if we took Baywatch, mixed it with Star Trek, and then blended in a frat party?" That's Kinstantia, in a nutshell.
This nation may or may not reflect my real life views. Furthermore, there's a lot of comic relief intended here, so if it seems a bit silly, you know why.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:12 am

Zykorinov wrote:Crazies. That about sums it up. Gangsters, Mentally-Insanes, Far-Right Wing Conservatives, all crazies.

[/thread]

No shooter has ever been liberal. Ever.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:13 am

JuNii wrote:
Derscon wrote:

how many deaths are caused by cars vs guns?

I think that far more people lost their life due a mass murderer that used a gun compared to a mass murderer that used a car.

Europe is having far fewer shooting accidents as USA. Can you tell me why?

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:16 am

If cars were so much dangerous as guns, why are armies using guns instead of cars to kill each other?

Stupid armies! Doh! :blink:

Give me the money or I’ll use my car to ride into your bank!

And I’m serious.

Wahahaha!
Last edited by Hairless Kitten II on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kinstantia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kinstantia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:22 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:Europe is having far fewer shooting accidents as USA. Can you tell me why?

Yeah, but have you seen how Europeans drive? I'd rather get hit by a bullet than a Paresian driving around a roundabout!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General