NATION

PASSWORD

Bill Maher calls Special Needs Child Retarded

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lerodan Chinamerica
Minister

Founded: Dec 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lerodan Chinamerica » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:56 am

Farnhamia wrote:
TBA Field Marshal wrote:
Liberals are the ones who usually overreact about things. I'm right-wing and it was a fucking joke, get over it!

You might be less forgiving if it were your child he called a retard.

At least some of us understand.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:56 am

Ifreann wrote:
TBA Field Marshal wrote:
Liberals are the ones who usually overreact about things. I'm right-wing and it was a fucking joke, get over it!

And it's a joke we don't like. Get over it.

Ann Coulter referred to John Edwards as a faggot and when called on it, all you heard was "It's a joke, man." If there were condemnations, they were very muted.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:56 am

Neo Art wrote:So, here's the thing. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know the exact terminology, or the difference between them, but Trig has Down Syndrom, right? So, doesn't that make him..actually retarded?

As in the child has mental retardation? I mean, the joke's pretty tasteless, but have we past the point of reasonable outrage for refering to someone as "retarded" when that person is, in fact, actually mentally retarded?

I was worried about pointing that out to be honest. I'm glad someone did.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Lerodan Chinamerica
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lerodan Chinamerica » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:58 am

Neo Art wrote:So, here's the thing. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know the exact terminology, or the difference between them, but Trig has Down Syndrom, right? So, doesn't that make him..actually retarded?

As in the child has mental retardation? I mean, the joke's pretty tasteless, but have we past the point of reasonable outrage for refering to someone as "retarded" when that person is, in fact, actually mentally retarded?

There's a difference between a straight-faced doctor stating "your son has Down syndrome" and an ass-faced comedian saying "HAHAHA YOUR SON HAZ DOWN SYNDROME!!!!1".

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:00 am

I believe it's now referred to as Intellectually Disabled so calling him retarded is just as offensive as the wikipedia article for down syndrome.
Down syndrome is the most common chromosome abnormality in humans.[2] It is typically associated with a delay in cognitive ability (mental retardation, or MR)...
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:00 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

So the article doesn't say exactly what the joke WAS, and I admit that mocking someone for being retarded isn't cool. But the article mearly says that Maher called Trig "retarded".

Well....isn't he?

I mean, it all depends on context. The phrase "Sarah Palin has a retarded child"....isn't that true? As in, as a clinical sense, actually true? I don't know the joke he made, or what context Trig's condition was utlilized in that joke, and using the fact that someone IS disable in a joke is pretty tasteless, but all that's said in the article is that Maher used the term "retarded" to describe a child that...well...isn't he retarded?
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:00 am

Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:There's a difference between a straight-faced doctor stating "your son has Down syndrome" and an ass-faced comedian saying "HAHAHA YOUR SON HAZ DOWN SYNDROME!!!!1".

There's also a big diferrence between a comedian saying "your son has down syndrome" and "HAHAHA YOUR SON HAZ DOWN SYNDROME!!!!1" I again point you to the fact that nobody in this thread seems to actually know what the joke was.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Knask
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 20, 2009

Postby Knask » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:01 am

Farnhamia wrote:
TBA Field Marshal wrote:

You might be less forgiving if it were your child he called a retard.

Or if you were Dick Cheney, and he mocked your baby.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:01 am

Neo Art wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

So the article doesn't say exactly what the joke WAS, and I admit that mocking someone for being retarded isn't cool. But the article mearly says that Maher called Trig "retarded".

Well....isn't he?

I mean, it all depends on context. The phrase "Sarah Palin has a retarded child"....isn't that true? As in, as a clinical sense, actually true? I don't know the joke he made, or what context Trig's condition was utlilized in that joke, and using the fact that someone IS disable in a joke is pretty tasteless, but all that's said in the article is that Maher used the term "retarded" to describe a child that...well...isn't he retarded?

Well, that seems to be the case.
I think it's the same problem people have with calling people tranny's though. Or it's similar.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:03 am

Knask wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:You might be less forgiving if it were your child he called a retard.

Or if you were Dick Cheney, and he mocked your baby.

Thank you for making my point.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Lerodan Chinamerica
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lerodan Chinamerica » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:04 am

Des-Bal wrote:
Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:There's a difference between a straight-faced doctor stating "your son has Down syndrome" and an ass-faced comedian saying "HAHAHA YOUR SON HAZ DOWN SYNDROME!!!!1".

There's also a big diferrence between a comedian saying "your son has down syndrome" and "HAHAHA YOUR SON HAZ DOWN SYNDROME!!!!1" I again point you to the fact that nobody in this thread seems to actually know what the joke was.

I don't know what the exact joke was, no. But he's a comedian performing at a show. What would you expect? Would he just mention out of the blue that the boy is disabled? And even so, why would he do that?

Basically what I'm trying to say is that no, I don't know his exact words, but at a comedy show you have to assume that he's making a joke. A member of the audience did heckle him in response, after all.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:05 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... e57F77ZKIs

Closest I can find. To be fair, I do find this pretty appalling. But it shows that he's at least trying to make a joke.
Also note, the woman present says "My nephew is retarded?"

Look, from this clip from a few years ago I think it's pretty clear that Bill Maher is an asshole.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:05 am

Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

I don't know what the exact joke was, no. But he's a comedian performing at a show. What would you expect? Would he just mention out of the blue that the boy is disabled? And even so, why would he do that?

Basically what I'm trying to say is that no, I don't know his exact words, but at a comedy show you have to assume that he's making a joke. A member of the audience did heckle him in response, after all.

Wait, he had an audience? Please don't tell me people paid to listen to him.

Khanastan
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Khanastan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:06 am

The problem is that what Bill said breaches political correctness. We sugarcoat things so people don't get offended, even if it is true.

For example, you wouldn't call someone black just because they're black.
“The ancient Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing.” - Socrates
Khanastan is an entirely fictional PMT nation somewhat similar to a larger, more free version of China. We are a massive federal representative republic of half a billion people with a self-sufficient, world-dominating economy. NS stats are not used. Use our Factbook instead.
Call me Khan. I've been here a while. I'm from Glasgow, Scotland. I think people should treat people like they want to be treated themselves. If you want to know more you're going have to buy me a drink or get to know me better, otherwise i'll stop being such a mystery.
Merry crisis one and all.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:06 am

Des-Bal wrote:

Let's not forget that the person making this uproar was later removed from the very same show for repeatedly yelling "Who's the president? Who's the president?" and arguing with people around him who asked him to keep quiet.

Again, I don't think mocking the disabled is something that's in good taste, especially when it's a child, but we don't know the context here. In fact, the article never said that Maher was making a joke. This particular issue that this particular fellow had was that Maher used the word retarded to describe Trig.

Well...isn't he retarded?

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:07 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Ifreann wrote:And it's a joke we don't like. Get over it.

Ann Coulter referred to John Edwards as a faggot and when called on it, all you heard was "It's a joke, man." If there were condemnations, they were very muted.

The only joke in that story is Ann Coulter.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:07 am

Neo Art wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

Let's not forget that the person making this uproar was later removed from the very same show for repeatedly yelling "Who's the president? Who's the president?" and arguing with people around him who asked him to keep quiet.

Again, I don't think mocking the disabled is something that's in good taste, especially when it's a child, but we don't know the context here. In fact, the article never said that Maher was making a joke. This particular issue that this particular fellow had was that Maher used the word retarded to describe Trig.

The link I provided, I think, casts serious doubt on the idea that he was just using it descriptively. It's almost certainly a previous example of him using the word and talking about retarded children, but...
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:07 am

Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:Calling a politician's son, who's never done anything to ignite public anger or opinion, retarded is not black humour. Making a joke out of Heather Mills' disability, for example, is black humour because she's a very divisive figure and is also an adult who can probably take a limited degree of mockery. Calling Trig retarded was not black humour; it was a cheap shot to hit Palin's nerves. Tell me, what has Trig ever done to ignite public opinion? Nothing. It is not jokeworthy material from any perspective.

Given that you haven't seen the joke, how exactly do you know it's not black humour?

Anyway, go look up black humour. You don't need to apply it to something controversial for it to be black humour. There's plenty of black humour about 9/11, and that was pretty uncontroversially sad.

Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:I don't usually see 'comedians' making malicious jokes about disabled people for political reasons. Apart from when Rush Limbaugh suggested that Michael J. Fox fakes the effects of his disability, which makes him just as much of an asshole as Maher. Unlike you, I don't judge incidents like these based on partisan grounds.

If you think Limbaugh is a comedian, it's pretty obvious you don't usually see comedians.

I would take the same position regardless of the partisan alignment of the comedian. I wouldn't even know whether Maher was liberal if you hadn't told me. (Although now that you mention it, given your bizarre persecution complex, it's plausible that "liberal" actually means "somewhere to the left of Adolf Hitler.")

Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:Oooh. Now that you've compared me to a twelve-year-old troll, I'm so sad and abashed that I won't be able to sleep tonight. Alas! Alas!

There was no good response to my post. Honestly, you should have just cut your losses. Now you're dipping into lightweight pseudo-articulate territory, which is never a good place to be.

Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:Acting so derisively doesn't add any weight to your argument. It just makes you look more ridiculous than you do already. Over-used aggravation tactic is over-used. :roll:

Oh, sorry. You're right, I should take a leaf here. Let me try:

:roll: Typical right-winger. It's obvious you're part of the Conservative Hivemind. Get back to me when you're done swallowing the Kool-Aid, SHEEPLE.

Did that sound stupid enough? I think I should turn it up a notch, but I'm just not sure how.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:08 am

Lerodan Chinamerica wrote:I don't know what the exact joke was, no. But he's a comedian performing at a show. What would you expect? Would he just mention out of the blue that the boy is disabled? And even so, why would he do that?

As part of a setup? Not everything a comedian says is a punchline.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:09 am

Khanastan wrote:For example, you wouldn't call someone black just because they're black.

...I'm not sure if this is meant to be serious. We call black people "black" all the time.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:09 am

I don't have a problem with the word Retarded.
And until I find out what the joke was, I can't have an opinion on it. But the previous example I linked has already made me dislike Maher to the point that i'm fairly sure he's not funny on this issue, and probably ableist.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:10 am

Neo Art wrote:
Khanastan wrote:For example, you wouldn't call someone black just because they're black.

...I'm not sure if this is meant to be serious. We call black people "black" all the time.

I think black people do, too. If someone were to tell me, "I say, old girl, I do prefer 'colored' these days," why, I would change.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:11 am

Neo Art wrote:Let's not forget that the person making this uproar was later removed from the very same show for repeatedly yelling "Who's the president? Who's the president?" and arguing with people around him who asked him to keep quiet.

I don't think Mentally Retarded is still what it's called. Much like moron, idiot, imbecile and all the other now benign terms it's use as a pejorative has had it generally fall out of vogue as a medical term. I can say however that almost all people with down syndrome are mentally retarded.

Khanastan
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Khanastan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:14 am

Neo Art wrote:

It depends on this situation, of course.

If you're taking into account political correctness, you can't put of the blue say that someone is black, or retarded, if that isn't relevant in the conversation. Even then, words like that tend to cause offence to some people, so even it has to be brought up in conversation, more PC words have to be used to avoid offence.

One of the reasons that Maher has caused so much offence is because he has breach political correctness by saying that the kid is retarded, seemingly out of the blue. Even if it is true, some people don't like to hear it put that way.
“The ancient Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing.” - Socrates
Khanastan is an entirely fictional PMT nation somewhat similar to a larger, more free version of China. We are a massive federal representative republic of half a billion people with a self-sufficient, world-dominating economy. NS stats are not used. Use our Factbook instead.
Call me Khan. I've been here a while. I'm from Glasgow, Scotland. I think people should treat people like they want to be treated themselves. If you want to know more you're going have to buy me a drink or get to know me better, otherwise i'll stop being such a mystery.
Merry crisis one and all.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:16 am

Khanastan wrote:It depends on this situation, of course.

If you're taking into account political correctness, you can't put of the blue say that someone is black, or retarded, if that isn't relevant in the conversation. Even then, words like that tend to cause offence to some people, so even it has to be brought up in conversation, more PC words have to be used to avoid offence.

One of the reasons that Maher has caused so much offence is because he has breach political correctness by saying that the kid is retarded, seemingly out of the blue. Even if it is true, some people don't like to hear it put that way.

It seems to be out of the blue because every reference to him having made the joke appears to be based on Futrell who doesn't remember it what it actually was.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General